Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Converting SW from N64 back to Star Wars  (Read 3433 times)

gameguy1957

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2009, 12:56:31 am
Converting SW from N64 back to Star Wars
« on: October 12, 2008, 01:38:19 pm »
Here's what my Star Wars cabinet looked like when I first got it. It had been converted to a N64 with a 19" color TV. To be fair, the conversion was a well done job and everything worked, including the remote control on the TV. Also, the owner had an all original cockpit that was as close to perfect as I've ever seen. This was just a spare.

1st pic shows the front with the N64 steering wheel controller.

2nd pic shows what I pulled from the inside. This includes the N64, an original controller (converted to N64 controller).

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
Re: Converting SW from N64 back to Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 02:27:27 pm »
I don't care if it was a spare or not. You just don't treat a Star Wars like that ;)

Lucky he kept the yoke ! How about PCB set, monitor ?

gameguy1957

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 03:43:15 pm »
PCB set was complete and there. The yoke was there, but had been hacked so bad that I decided to rob one from a Return of the Jedi that is a project way down the road in order to get this thing going. I did get an old WG6100 from him, but I'm putting an Amplifone setup in there.

This guy had the most unbelievable collection of nice, rare stuff that I'd ever seen. The cockpit had the 25" monitor. He also had an unrestored, almost perfect EDOT, and a Dragon's Lair, and a Sega Timetraveller, and many other unrestored, minty-fresh looking games. The Star Wars upright I got was from his "junk" stuff.

Right now I have pulled all of the N64 stuff, replaced the yoke and tube. Sent the boards off for repair (got them back two weeks ago, damaged in shipping).  - Thanks FedEx ground.

The boards were double-boxed and attached to the metal cage, and they still managed to damage them....

I'm working with the person that repaired them to try to fix things without shipping them again. We'll see what happens.

bigdog1977

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2009, 01:32:48 am
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 03:54:07 pm »
 :dizzy: :timebomb: :soapbox: :angry: :badmood: :banghead: :cry: :dunno

OMG that should be forbidden!!!!! ARGGGGGGG.

May the force be with you!
These arnt the droids your looking for...

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 05:46:44 pm »
Well, I've seen worse. Looks like nothing got physically damaged. I'm sure the yoke can be brought back too.

Glad you're going to get it back to full glory !

gameguy1957

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 08:19:22 pm »
Finally got this thing working today.

I gave up on trying to find the parts I needed for the monitor and just bought a complete, refurbed 6100.

When I got the monitor from UPS it had taken a hard hit, but everything looked ok. When I plugged it in, I didn't get any reds during gameplay.

After checking things out I found that the red drive pot had gotten damaged during shipping. Pulled a pot from the original neck board and soldered it to the new one. Powered it up and everything is working 100%.

I'll post some pics as soon as I take some of the completed machine.

-JM

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:40:56 am »

Even as a major vector purist I don't mind this one much.  He kept the thing nice and original.  Someone else would have raped the thing and ebayed parts for profit.  This guy probably saved that game by converting it the way he did.