Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Final Fantasy 3 Piece (Bartop or assembles into Mini) COMPLETE (Aug 17 09)  (Read 20290 times)

Kman-Sweden

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2015, 07:29:00 am
  • Up the Irons!
Really nice!  :applaud:

severdhed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
looks very nice...good job.
Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2024, 10:45:43 am
That came out great!   It is impossible to tell that the stand was designed after the bartop was made - it looks like one complete unit with everything in place.  :applaud:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
Thanks guys.  Definitely pleased with how it turned out...now I got to be focused and get some house projects done so I can get back to a 3rd cab...
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Turned out pretty nice. Good job.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Re: Final Fantasy 3 Piece (Bartop or assembles into Mini) COMPLETE (Aug 17 09)
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2009, 01:54:58 pm »
Ended up selling this yesterday, the buyer is picking it up today.  Mixed emotions, even though its just a bunch of wood, plastic and wires.  However, seeing the buyer and his brother going nuts during the "testing" dispelled all that.  They had all the enthusiasm and more. It was like going back to the 80s to see a couple friends on an arcade machine.  Whereas me (and I assume some of you) play and enjoy but notice some of the shortcomings (slightly jaded!), these two were all about the games and jumping from one game to the other in awe.

The proceeds will go on to fund the "fancier" items on the Alien cab build (LED pushbuttons, LED balltops, Trackball lighting etc) and a couple hundred will go to my wife as bribery...I mean "I love you  babe" shopping money.  She has been pretty understanding with this crazy hobby and so I can at least give her a bit back to have some fun with (IE clothes).
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2009, 05:55:52 pm »
Nice! I bought my trackball from Twisted Quarter's website rather than messing with Ebay. It's all USB too, so no need for an encoder or figuring out the wiring.

Even though We had a minor set back because of the Marbling in the ball it's self, I would totally suggest them if you plan on picking one up. They were a pretty good price on them and the service was excellent.

Could go with something like this Illuminated 3" USB ball

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2009, 06:51:12 pm »
Ya that one looks good but I already have a Betson Imperial clone (X arcade) trackball that I like. I am getting Randy's Electric Ice Green LED trackball lighting kit for it.  Buttons will be Novagems and the balltops/J Sticks will be illuminated as well via Luigi's hollow shaft/neon green balltops.

Can't wait to see yours installed!
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2009, 10:53:00 am »

Ended up selling this yesterday, the buyer is picking it up today. 

Ahhhhh yes! Craigslist-van, that's where I saw this cabinet...I was perusing it last week and saw your post and thought "final fantasy cabinet, loooks familiar...".  Glad to hear you got a buyer for it. Personally, my Mame machine days are over, reading many of Level's and Spyridon restoration posts has got me turned onto restoring the classics!

btw, don't forget to take down your Craigslist post, it's still up there now.
 :cheers:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2009, 12:27:41 pm »
EDIT: Removed it, thanks for the heads up.

I would love to do a restoration someday but for now I like being able to play a lot of games rather than just one or two...ive always been more of a jack of all trades master of none with gaming...too many varied interests to tie myself down to one game. That and I do enjoy playing not just building.  
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 12:31:14 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Benevolance

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2019, 03:13:59 pm
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2009, 01:17:10 pm »
I feel the same about restoring a dedicated vs making a Mame cab. There's also the issue of space: a dedicated machine seems like a 'luxury' when you can have a more generic cab run multiple games for parties. But one day when I have a proper house with a games room, I would love to add some classic cabs to the collection.

I'm glad the alien cab has a source of funding! I've been enjoying following that build.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2009, 06:56:34 pm »
But one day when I have a proper house with a games room, I would love to add some classic cabs to the collection.

Agreed, I'd still like to have a mint Black Tiger conversion and an Xevious original one.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 10:56:26 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials