Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: VPinball and VPinMame on TV instead of computer monitor  (Read 3629 times)

cmoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2023, 05:19:00 pm
VPinball and VPinMame on TV instead of computer monitor
« on: December 15, 2008, 12:20:30 pm »
Considering a larger cabinet for my second project that would incorporate a TV instead of a computer monitor.  I am currently running MAME, Daphne and VPinball with VPinMame.  I would like to transfer all of those to the new machine that will be using a TV.

My question is I currently run them all at 1600 x 1200 on a 20" LCD monitor, very sharp and clear.  If I go to a TV, 25" or 27", in my new cabinet I will need to run at a lower resolution.  Maybe 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 would be my guess.  I don't think there will be any issues with MAME and Daphne, may not be as sharp, but will be more authentic looking.

How does VPinball look on a TV at this resolution?  Anyone have a video I can see? 

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
Re: VPinball and VPinMame on TV instead of computer monitor
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 12:42:59 pm »
It basically sucks IMO, even on an arcade monitor.  Pinball simulation really requires the highest resolution possible to look good.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 05:59:04 pm »
VP is essentially a 'PC-type game'. Hence you want the highest res you got. 1024x768 is the bottom of the barrel. And, note, SD TVs are....ah, standard resolution. And what does that mean, kids?
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 07:23:47 pm »
On the latest cards..  can output 1024x768 on svideo... and looks pretty
darn good. 

Pop on Component out, and its simply amazing.   My nvidia clone
can output 1920x1080  on the component out, my 480i  tv!  a bit fuzzy and shimmery ... but really amazing that its even possible.

800x600 is really solid.  However, I dont have vpinball set up... so dont know
how it looks scales to that res.

However, as stated... such games will look the best on LCD or Computer
monitor displays.

cmoses

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 08:59:18 am »
I kind of figured that it VPinball would look best on a LCD or computer monitor.  I was hoping to see some examples.

My NVidia card has a breakout cable that give component out, so I am going to try to find a TV that has component input and does 1080i/p.  I think this would give the best resolution. 

I guess that is the trade off in going to a larger screen.  Bigger picture, more authentic arcade feel, but not as good a resolution.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 11:52:12 am »
I guess I don't really consider that a trade off.  That would be like being disappointed that you can't edit high resolution photos on your arcade cabinet.  The best display for pinball simulation is a large 16:9 flat panel rotated 90 degrees anyway IMO.

Flake

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2023, 03:02:46 pm
  • I am Evil Homer....I am Evil Homer....
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 09:40:03 am »
I am running Virtual Pinball on a 27" Toshiba with component inputs and it is a bit "hazy" as compared to the screen shots you find on the website.  I find that it still very playable but I would prefer a more crisp display.  I was wondering, is there another pinball simulator that WOULD look more crisp on a TV display other than future pinball?

cmoses

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 11:52:30 am »
Do you mean VISUAL Pinball?  Because that is the one that I am running on my current cab with VPinMAME.  The higher the resolution the better.  I have run it at 800 x 600 on my LCD screen and it is fine to play.  Just not sure what it will look like at that resolution on a TV, assuming I can do that resolution.

Flake

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2023, 03:02:46 pm
  • I am Evil Homer....I am Evil Homer....
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 11:56:31 am »
I'm sorry I meant to say Future Pinball.  My mistake.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 10:14:44 pm »
Visual Pinball is what runs everything. Pinmame runs under it's direction. You need both to play tables in that format, but VP is mother. (I think FP is the same.) Also, yes, on smaller monitors, lower resolutions look okay. My 17" (15 and some viewable, mind) is great at 1024x768 or lower.

The best display for pinball simulation is a large 16:9 flat panel rotated 90 degrees anyway IMO.

Except, far as I know, that's not a native or even simply selectable orientation and all in VP.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.