Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Game competition # 6: Joust  (Read 15028 times)

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
Re: Game competition # 6: Joust
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2008, 10:07:11 pm »
You already mentioned that.

Yep!  (hint, hint)

:woot
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2008, 02:09:22 pm »
Pssst... Ummon, maybe we should let D29's have his way with the speed hacked version of MsPacman and then open up a can of whooptail on his score.  ;)

I remember playing it a few times and the bloody thing was so fast I would crash into them accidentally.

Someone mentioned Time Pilot. Im game for that one too.
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2008, 06:37:03 pm »
LOL on the Ms. Pac comment...

Time Pilot is cool too.  I learned to play that on on Colecovision when I was a kid and the arcade is not that much different.

~ D

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2008, 11:07:46 pm »
I am of the inclination to think the speed hack was created for later days kiddies who couldn't handle the slow speed of the game yet who sucked so bad they couldn't get past the second or third board after very long so quit playing the game. Is this incorrect?

Anyways, I guess it's up to shoegazer.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2008, 11:20:25 pm »
I am of the inclination to think the speed hack was created for later days kiddies who couldn't handle the slow speed of the game yet who sucked so bad they couldn't get past the second or third board after very long so quit playing the game. Is this incorrect?

Yes, this is incorrect. I didn't love Ms. Pacman till I played it with the speed hack.

Shoegazer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2015, 10:37:58 am
    • NonMAME - The ultimate site for the OTHER arcade emulators!
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2008, 11:26:07 pm »
Up to me?  

Well from the recently-discussed I'd pick Time Pilot, followed by Gyruss.  It would be great to try elevator action at some point soon too, unless it has already been done recently and I missed it.

And yes Ummon, I believe you are correct.  I think it has to do with the fact that most people these days expect more instant action/gratification out of games, so the pace has been sped up in keeping.  It's kind of like the pace of movies today compared to the 80s.

Shoegazer
NonMAME: Your best source for the OTHER arcade emulators!
http://nonmame.retrogames.com

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2008, 03:56:18 am »
I dunno. I always loved mspac, more so than pac, because it looked cooler and it didn't require a pattern to get at least past the first board.

As for movies, I watched Star Wars the other night, and certainly the ships in the fighting scenes seem like they're moving slowly. But I then watched Empire and I thought all the ship scenes were still killer. (Of course the whole of Star Wars is utterly ridiculous, let alone the piloting of the ships and all, but that's another discussion.)

Anyways, Shoegazer, whatever you want. In the meantime, you can create the thread for it, using the first post of this one as a template, or I can once you pick your game.

And, just because I was testing something and accidentally loaded Joust and thought what the hell I'd play it, the highest score I've gotten in quite a while. Level 13 or so I think.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2008, 11:42:57 am »

Yes, this is incorrect. I didn't love Ms. Pacman till I played it with the speed hack.
I kind of agree with Ummon's statement minus the "yet who sucked so bad they couldn't get past the second or third board after very long so quit playing the game."  I think the game was "revived" years after it came out for the new generation of people who were used to faster paced games.  It was brilliant and breathed new life into the game.  I always remember seeing the hacked Ms. Pacman at rest stops on the New Jersey Turnpike.  Maybe it was the vendor's way of justifying the 50 cent price to play?   :o  LOL.

As for the Ms. Pac suggestion for the game comp... it's actually better that we don't choose this game for the next one, 'cause my monitor on my arcade is out for repair.   :'(  So I won't be able to participate.   :banghead:

~ DeLuSioNaL

Shoegazer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2015, 10:37:58 am
    • NonMAME - The ultimate site for the OTHER arcade emulators!
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2008, 08:18:24 pm »
Hey, as far as I know, the NJ turnpike STILL has those speedhacked Ms. Pac machines.  Though I wish they were originals, it's still comforting knowing they're there, beckoning you from the highway to beat the snot out of em.  ;-)

Shoegazer
NonMAME: Your best source for the OTHER arcade emulators!
http://nonmame.retrogames.com

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2008, 12:58:14 pm »
I took the NJ Turnpike last week on my way to Maryland.  Didn't stop at any rest stops in NJ, but in MD I stopped at "Maryland House" and they had a 20th Anniversary Ms. Pacman/Galaga.

What's weird is I totally did not even play.  I simply looked at the condition of the machine (front and sides) and stroked it a couple of times.  That's how I knew I was "officially" hooked on building arcades.  ;-)  LOL

~ DeLuSioNaL

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2008, 12:17:26 am »
I took the NJ Turnpike last week on my way to Maryland.  Didn't stop at any rest stops in NJ, but in MD I stopped at "Maryland House" and they had a 20th Anniversary Ms. Pacman/Galaga.

What's weird is I totally did not even play.  I simply looked at the condition of the machine (front and sides) and stroked it a couple of times.  That's how I knew I was "officially" hooked on building arcades.  ;-)  LOL

~ DeLuSioNaL

Yeah, I do this too when I see them. I can play the same-looking display at home; 25 and 27 inch are basically the same-looking. Now if it's an original mspac, I would definitely play. Original Galaga, not necessarily.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

boogieman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2019, 05:35:48 pm
  • advancedspuds.com
    • advancedspuds - your source for spudgun information
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2010, 01:19:03 pm »
Sorry for dragging this one up from the dead.  Wish I would have seen this.  I can score 350,000 on my dedicated Joust.  I mainly wanted to ad that Joust in MAME is definitely different than on a dedicated machine.  I am not sure why exactly, but I believe it has more to do with the original cabinet having leaf switches than MAME itself. 

I thought people were crazy when they would praise leafs so much until I actually got a dedicated machine with leafs.