Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A new Galaga!  (Read 21923 times)

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2024, 05:50:03 am
  • NOM NOM NOM
Re: A new Galaga!
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2008, 07:11:41 pm »

hehe.. sorry man.    I learned the hard way too.   :banghead:  Always save your post to a text file before hitting send   ;D

As for Bionic Commando Rearmed, its a real rarity that someone spends time to
get that level of classic translation.   It actually looks fairly faithful to the original,
and isnt merely a special effects game like this Galacrap.  Very nice details and
subtle use of effects. (Though main characters are a bit unrefined and need more
shading contrasts)

I tried to play the original BC on an emulator to see what it was all about, and
I couldnt get into it.  I can say that I honestly didnt give it too much time,  and
thought to try it again at a later time. 

However, from looking at the vids... the main complaint I see is the slow pace that
the character walks at... and the lack of aggressive enemy attacks.  Its like the
enemies are sitting around waiting for a sign from the heavens to start their attacks...
and even when they do... its very slow and not very aggressive.   

Even in a slowish game like Shinobi... at least the walk pace is a bit faster.. and the
enemies are much more aggressive.  Or in Ghouls and Ghost.. Walk pace was slower...yet the enemies were relentlessly attacking.. giving you no time to notice the
slower scroll speed.  Always giving you some challenge to - rather than merely walking
about without much worry as seen here.   Ahh well... at least we have the classics ;)

Anyways...
 Enjoy the rest of your night.

Peace

isucamper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2019, 05:13:08 pm
  • I'm a slasher... of prices!!
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2008, 07:17:18 pm »
You specifically brought up that Galaga Legions was better reviewed then a poor re-release of the original, and stated it in such a way to look like Galaga Legions was better reviewed then the original arcade version of Galaga.  I brought up the errors of your comparision, and you then defended your comparision (essentially saying that the original Galaga was equal to the re-release, even though the re-release had flaws that the original did not have) which could only make me think that you did like Legions over the original.

When the F did I say that???!!!!

Here's what I said.

Quote from: isucamper
However, besides the controls, the game is just an emulation of the arcade, so there's not a lot else they can get wrong.

Ahh quotes... they do there job don't they.  Being an emulation, the game is as close the the original as possible from a software standpoint.  Control issues arise given the asstacular Xbox 360 controller... however, given that the option to buy (or make) an arcade stick for the 360 exists, it is a circumventable issue.  

That being the case, I in no way endorse the use of Metacritic as a means of resolveing the endless "my game is better than your game" internet forum debate.  It's simply a point of conversation.  Furthermore, I hope you understand that if a classic game such as the original Galaga were to be put through the modern review process, it probably wouldn't score a whole lot higher than the Xbox 360 port.  These scales are built around what the mainstream audience is looking for in games.  You give a classic game to a 20s something game journalist, he/she is not going to know what to do with it.  

So, just so I'm perfectly clear with my opinions since you seem to want to pick apart everything I say, I feel like this comparison of old vs new Galaga to be about as meaningful as a screen door on a battleship.  They are different games from different eras and the only people who can subjectively make such a call are those that have an intimate understanding of both types of games, the environments under which they were conceived, and the different goals of their varying gameplay.  The reviews are in for Galaga Legions, and they aren't bad... so says professional journalists that are comparing it to everything else that has been released recently.  The original is a classic that will be remembered for as long as there is electricity to power our cabinets.  That's about the end of the story right there.  
THE SYSTEM          Popeye

isucamper

• Offline Offline
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2008, 07:22:08 pm »

hehe.. sorry man.    I learned the hard way too.   :banghead:  Always save your post to a text file before hitting send   ;D

:( I guess so... its still eating me up... it was epic

Bionic Commando was a great, great game... one of the most unique platformers ever... but getting your head around the fact that it's a platformer with no jump button takes some time.  Not sure how it would hold up for someone today who has never played it, but it's one of my favorites.

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2008, 07:40:48 pm »
You specifically brought up that Galaga Legions was better reviewed then a poor re-release of the original, and stated it in such a way to look like Galaga Legions was better reviewed then the original arcade version of Galaga.  I brought up the errors of your comparision, and you then defended your comparision (essentially saying that the original Galaga was equal to the re-release, even though the re-release had flaws that the original did not have) which could only make me think that you did like Legions over the original.

When the F did I say that???!!!!

Here's what I said.

Quote from: isucamper
However, besides the controls, the game is just an emulation of the arcade, so there's not a lot else they can get wrong.

Ahh quotes... they do there job don't they.  Being an emulation, the game is as close the the original as possible from a software standpoint.  Control issues arise given the asstacular Xbox 360 controller... however, given that the option to buy (or make) an arcade stick for the 360 exists, it is a circumventable issue.  
I'm confused.  You say "when the F did I say that" about my comment about you defending the comparision, then you go and defend the comparision again.  Very odd.  Anyways the reviews called the controls "sluggish" and "iffy" which may or may not be corrected with an arcade stick, but the reviews were done with the 360 gamepad, so the ability to correct the controls using a non-standard controller wasn't a factor in their scoring.

I stand by my opinion that the reviews of the port of Galaga does not accurately reflect the reviews of the original arcade Galaga because the port was poorly done.  You're entitled to your opinion that the reviews of the port do reflect the reviews of the original, even though I think you are way off.

I feel like this comparison of old vs new Galaga to be about as meaningful as a screen door on a battleship
Then why did you bring up the comparision in the first place?  The main complaint most people were saying is that they are too different to have the same name, not that the new game was bad compared to the old one.   :dunno
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 07:44:42 pm by AtomSmasher »

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2008, 07:47:32 pm »
Also, Bionic Commando Rearmed was very well done.  It's basically the original BC with updated graphics, improved boss battles, and a number other minor things thrown in, but the gameplay is pretty much exactly the same.

Also, I recently bought the game Braid which is a new original platformer with very cool use of time manipulation and a great story. 

Both of which are well worth the money IMO.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 07:49:23 pm by AtomSmasher »

isucamper

• Offline Offline
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2008, 09:00:12 pm »
If defending the review of the port is the same thing as saying that a review of the port is just as good as a review of the original, then I said it. 

But nowhere did I ever say that a review of the port should be representative of a review of the original arcade version of Galaga.  Obviously, the arcade is going to play better.  You made a jump in logic that I did intend to be implied.  It is however, the closest piece of objective data that we have to compare it to, and is not totally useless if applied with the correct footnote.  Forgive me for trying to bring a bit of hard objective data into a very subjective conversation. 

Braid also looks quite good.  Another game in a long list of games I'm getting behind on thanks to this arcade building stuff.  Seroiously though, this has been an incredible summer for PSN and XBLA.  The arcade is really being reborn as downloadable games on the consoles. 

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2008, 09:23:21 pm »
Or you could enter a large number in the timer. That is, if you don't have the 'keep me signed in' box checked.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2008, 10:21:29 pm »
If defending the review of the port is the same thing as saying that a review of the port is just as good as a review of the original, then I said it. 

But nowhere did I ever say that a review of the port should be representative of a review of the original arcade version of Galaga.  Obviously, the arcade is going to play better.  You made a jump in logic that I did intend to be implied.  It is however, the closest piece of objective data that we have to compare it to, and is not totally useless if applied with the correct footnote.  Forgive me for trying to bring a bit of hard objective data into a very subjective conversation. 
As of today, Galaga Legions is 12 points higher than the original Galaga.
That line from your first post is why I assumed you were using the review of the port as indicative of reviews for the original since you called it "original Galaga."  Then when I pointed out it was only a port on the 360 you started to get defensive about it, which seemed to confirm my assumption.  I guess we both misunderstood each other at one point or another.

Anyways, you should download the demo and let us know what you think since I prefer hearing reviews from other classic game enthusiasts on games like these, instead hearing what professional reviewers think of the game.   ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 10:24:11 pm by AtomSmasher »

isucamper

• Offline Offline
    • my project arcade blog
« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2008, 10:58:28 pm »
That line from your first post is why I assumed you were using the review of the port as indicative of reviews for the original since you called it "original Galaga."

yeah, it's a port of the original galaga... i'm not sure what we're getting hung up on here

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2008, 12:22:54 am »
That line from your first post is why I assumed you were using the review of the port as indicative of reviews for the original since you called it "original Galaga."

yeah, it's a port of the original galaga... i'm not sure what we're getting hung up on here

Sigh.... I thought we cleared all of this up in the last few posts.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:38:45 am by AtomSmasher »

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2008, 03:43:06 pm »
I didn't realize Bioshock was considered to be one of the "greatest games of all time".  Seemed like your average FPS to me (game starts with a cataclysmic event, you start out with no weapons, eventually gain weapons and powers, kill lots of baddies, yada yada yada).  Beautiful graphics and creepy atmosphere for sure, but I would not even list it anywhere near the best games of all time.  I got bored with it pretty quickly and moved on to other games.  I guess I need to finish playing it to see what I'm missing.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:18:00 pm
« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2008, 03:46:56 pm »
I didn't realize Bioshock was considered to be one of the "greatest games of all time".  Seemed like your average FPS to me (game starts with a cataclysmic event, you start out with no weapons, eventually gain weapons and powers, kill lots of baddies, yada yada yada).  Beautiful graphics and creepy atmosphere for sure, but I would not even list it anywhere near the best games of all time.  I got bored with it pretty quickly and moved on to other games.  I guess I need to finish playing it to see what I'm missing.

Bioshock was fantastic, IMO.  I don't play a lot of FPS games (I couldn't get into Halo or Call of Duty) but I LOVED Bioshock.  The city of Rapture was so well thought out - it was almost believable.  I don't think it's the best game of all time but it's certainly somewhere on the list.

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2008, 04:41:34 pm »

Bioshock was fantastic, IMO.  I don't play a lot of FPS games (I couldn't get into Halo or Call of Duty) but I LOVED Bioshock.  The city of Rapture was so well thought out - it was almost believable.  I don't think it's the best game of all time but it's certainly somewhere on the list.
The storyline and atmosphere in the game were brilliant, however I would only rate the gameplay as good, not great.  The gameplay was actually dumbed down from it's predecessor System Shock 2, which often is considered one of the greatest games of all time.  Bioshock was one of the best games of last year, but not of all time.