Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Golden Ticket - Wonka cab (updated pics 04/22/07)  (Read 13712 times)

Thurman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2018, 09:15:33 pm
  • The suspense is terrible . . . I hope it'll last.
Re: The Golden Ticket (Wonka cab)
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2007, 04:11:22 pm »
Updates!!!

The cab already had a nice monitor mount in it (from the 25" arcade monitor).  So I had to figure out a way to mount a 20" CRT using the existing mount.  It took a few tries but I finally came up with the correct design.  I removed the case from the 20" CRT, attached 4 metal strips to each of the corners, and attached those metal strips to the existing mount.  I was a little nervous at first because it doesn't look very stable, but trust me this monitor isn't going anywhere.  I gave it a few good shakes and it passed my inspection.  It's a "floating" design.....

Thurman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2007, 04:12:54 pm »
Now it was time to put together a nice looking marquee.  You can see earlier in the thread my marquee mock-up.  I knew that an actual photo of Gene Wilder wasn't going to cut it so I spent some time with Illustrator and Photoshop.  You can also see the final result of the mounted monitor along with Tailgunner's $2 bezel (cardboard). 

Thurman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2007, 04:15:06 pm »
And I know a few of you have been waiting for this..... a Golden Ticket kickplate!  I drew the design on a piece of posterboard, then bought a bronze kickplate from Home Depot.  My friend is a graphical artist so she said that she'd take it from there.  She took my design and copied it onto a black sticker.  Using some kind of etching machine to cut around the design, she placed the sticker over the kickplate then peeled away the negative space.  It turned out even better than I was hoping!

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
Re: The Golden Ticket - Wonka cab (updated pics 04/22/07)
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2007, 07:11:13 pm »
That's really cool.  My only concern is now that my wife has seen this it's going to be a battle for me to make a themed cabinet any other way than Wonka.  I want to do like a pin-up girl cab or something, I suppose that's slightly different.  Oh, well.

Any way, both my wife and I like you cab a lot, very nice details, especially the kick plate. :applaud: :cheers:

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2007, 10:08:58 pm »
And I know a few of you have been waiting for this..... a Golden Ticket kickplate!  I drew the design on a piece of posterboard, then bought a bronze kickplate from Home Depot.  My friend is a graphical artist so she said that she'd take it from there.  She took my design and copied it onto a black sticker.  Using some kind of etching machine to cut around the design, she placed the sticker over the kickplate then peeled away the negative space.  It turned out even better than I was hoping!

OK, that's just sweet. The whole cab is sweet the way it was, but adding a kick-plate like that just about takes the show. I've got to find me some friends with that kind of know-how.

Doesn't bronze tarnish? Did she treat with some kind of lacquer to keep the shine?

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2007, 04:23:35 am »
That is just beautiful. The golden ticket/kickplate really works wonders. Aren't you afraid someone might actually ... well ... kick it? Or is the sticker protected somehow?
This signature is intentionally left blank

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2008, 10:11:47 pm »
Way back on the monitor part, the first thing I wondered was why no one mentioned you might have vertical collapse and how to troubleshoot it.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2008, 06:40:22 am »
 :o  :o  :o

That kickplate is awesome! How did I miss it before?!