Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I joined the "Scooter Club"  (Read 7627 times)

Cakemeister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 10:15:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
I joined the "Scooter Club"
« on: May 27, 2008, 09:32:26 pm »
On Sunday someone came up to me as I was cleaning my garage and offered to buy my car. My car is a 1994 Infiniti Q45 with about 115,000 miles on it. It needs some major work. The air conditioning compressor is out, the struts need to be replaced, the traction control system has failed, the speaker amps are all screwed up. So this guy offers me $1300. After consulting with the wife, I agreed. I was going to give it to charity for a $3000 tax deduction when it finally gave up the ghost.

I purchased a new Yamaha Vino 125 scooter with the proceeds. My commute to work is 3.3 miles one way, on back streets. I don't want a motorcycle as I think they are dangerous and I would never ever drive one on a freeway. They had some kind of financing deal but I said F that and wrote a check. After their ripoff "handling fee" and taxes it ended up at $3700. If I drive 66 miles per week (to work, back home for lunch, back to work, back home, that's 3300 miles per year. At 90 mpg, I would use 36 gallons of gas vs. 220 gallons at 15 mpg for the Infiniti, a savings of $736 in gas per year at $4 per gallon. I haven't bought insurance yet, but I figure that it would cost less than the Infiniti. Depreciation for the scooter is unknown because I don't know what they sell for used. Wear and tear and maintenance should not be too terrible since I bought the expensive warranty.

Hopefully I dont end up like Paige. :)

Here's a picture, mine is black.
Old, but not obsolete.

somunny

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2018, 02:22:25 pm
  • Is it hot in here?
Re: I joined the "Scooter Club"
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:37:41 pm »
If your commute is so short and on back streets, why not just ride a bicycle?

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 10:10:56 pm »

Several reasons.

1) I am 15 pounds overweight and out of shape.
2) I am lazy when it comes to physical exercise.
3) It is 100 degrees and 95% humidity in the summertime where I live.

Old, but not obsolete.

somunny

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2018, 02:22:25 pm
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 10:15:50 pm »
Fair enough.  Just asking..  not trying to stir anything up.   8)

Cakemeister, eh...  It all makes sense now!  ;)

At any rate, watch out for a-holes 'cause they're not watching for you.

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:35:26 am »
I'm starting to see a lot more people on scooters and small bikes now that gas is so expensive. Traffic is a little crazy where I'm at though. Its funny that you consider scooters safer than motorcycles. Falling off at 35mph feels the same if you're riding a scooter, a Harley or a Hayabusa. You are also actually safer on the freeway, because despite the speed everyone is heading in the same direction and there is nobody making left turns in front of you. All you have to watch out for is people merging.

Counting mini-bikes, I've been riding for over 35 years.  ;)

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 12:37:12 pm »
15 lbs is nothing.  It's certainly no reason not to exercise.  You'd take that weight off in a single summer if you started biking to work.  Now if you were 115 lbs. over weight, that'd be an excuse.  15 lbs. is a reason to ride a bike to work, not a reason to not ride a bike.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 01:05:24 pm »
15 minutes on a real bike isn't even long enough to break a sweat.

Anyways, what do you plan on doing for nasty weather days now that your sole transportation is a scooter? ;)

CCM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2020, 10:08:27 am
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 01:07:03 pm »
15 minutes on a real bike isn't even long enough to break a sweat.

Anyways, what do you plan on doing for nasty weather days now that your sole transportation is a scooter? ;)

In 100 degree heat with 95% humidity 15 minutes on a bike is plenty to get you sweating. 

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 01:37:29 pm »
In 100 degree heat with 95% humidity 15 minutes on a bike is plenty to get you sweating. 

I drove cars w/o AC for years, and I guarantee I would sweat less on a 3 mile bike ride than in a 3 mile backroad drive in those conditions.

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 02:41:38 pm »
Exercising is on my "list of things to do".  :) For Shmokes I'll try to get my weight down from 195 to 180 this summer. I have started going to spinning class. By the time that hour is over there's a pool of sweat around the bike, and that room is kept meat-locker cold. So a 15-minute bike ride is plenty of time for me to work up a sweat.

If I biked to work I probably would not be very pleasant-smelling when I got there. Clothing might be an issue, too, as jeans/slacks are not as easy to bike in as shorts, and changing out of and into shorts is a hassle and might cause a problem with the company dress code. There's also the issue of my not owning a bicycle.

For nasty weather days I can keep a change of clothes at the office in case I got wet.
Old, but not obsolete.

hypernova

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2016, 12:52:48 pm
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 08:29:53 pm »
3) It is 100 degrees and 95% humidity in the summertime where I live.

2 is ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow---.

3 would take care of 1 in no time at all.  This is your chance to get physically fit, not spend ANY money on gas for work, and help save the planet just a hair.  Especially when you say it is 3.3 miles, I mean, come on, guy!  Oh, and you'd be riding in the morning, right?  It's cooler then.  And when it's time to come home, that's when you'll get your small amount of daily exercise.

Last summer, I biked to work.  Over 11 miles one way.  It lasted three days.  On the second day, my tire sprung a leak on the way home.  If the conditions of the roads and sidewalks were better, I'd be doing it again this summer.  (It took slightly less than an hour each way.)  And amazingly, I wasn't sweating when I got TO work.  That cool breeze in your face feels awesome.  (For comparison's sake...6'2", 160 lbs.)

3.3 miles?  That's nothing.

Plus you wouldn't have to go to a spinning class. ;D
I'll exercise patience when you stop exercising stupidity.
My zazzle page.  I've created T-shirts!

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 08:57:50 pm »
Like hypernova says 3.3 miles is nothing and if you rode a bike to work every day 1 and 2 would be taken care of in no time.

More incentive is that a fat guy on a bike is sort of funny.   
But the image of a fat guy on a scooter is a riot.  Like one of those clowns on a little bike only you're not trying to be funny, which makes it even funnier.

I guarantee you'll hear someone humming the "fat guy in a little suit" song and other people will giggle, because when you're not around they sing "Fat guy on a little bike".

After two-three weeks you won’t be that “fat bike guy” and by the end of summer you'll just be one of the in shape guys.
On the other hand you could end up as that “fat scooter guy” for the rest of your life.

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 09:49:32 pm »
Too bad I don't have a twin, I could look like these guys:

Old, but not obsolete.

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 09:56:08 pm »
Its funny that you consider scooters safer than motorcycles. Falling off at 35mph feels the same if you're riding a scooter, a Harley or a Hayabusa. You are also actually safer on the freeway, because despite the speed everyone is heading in the same direction and there is nobody making left turns in front of you. All you have to watch out for is people merging.

I completely agree with every word there.  I constantly see idiots on scooters with no helmets and people saying how they are so much safer than motorcycles.   :dizzy:

mpm32

• Cheesecake Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 09:25:14 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 08:25:42 am »
I am going to start riding my bike to work a couple of times a week - 22 miles each way.  Should take me about an hour.  I used to race so this distance is nothing to me, or it will be after a couple of weeks.  I haven't ridden in a year.

It will be nice to use my bike that happened to cost about the same as the scooter that Cakemeister bought.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 08:45:17 am »
Its funny that you consider scooters safer than motorcycles. Falling off at 35mph feels the same if you're riding a scooter, a Harley or a Hayabusa. You are also actually safer on the freeway, because despite the speed everyone is heading in the same direction and there is nobody making left turns in front of you. All you have to watch out for is people merging.

I completely agree with every word there.  I constantly see idiots on scooters with no helmets and people saying how they are so much safer than motorcycles.   :dizzy:

I wish I knew the percentage of motorcycle accidents that were caused by a car turning left in front of a motorcycle. It must be in the 70% range. There were 3 accidents near me Memorial Day weekend. One guy died and two guys were hurt. All 3 of those accidents were a car making a left turn across the path of a motorcyclist.

Around me, what makes a scooter impractical is the lack of a good network of back roads. If you're riding where you can't move with the speed of the traffic, it's downright dangerous. Most roads are posted 45mph, but traffic is moving at 55 to 60  -faster than most of them can comfortably run (for more than a couple minutes). You end up with some dumb ass mom in a Yukon tailgating or trying to pass while talking on a cell phone and arguing with their kids.

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 09:13:40 am »

Several reasons.

Aren't those just the perfect reasons to actually ride a bicycle to work? You'd lose weight and since riding a bike actually serves a purpose you're not wasting your time/energy on sitting on some useless home trainer.
This signature is intentionally left blank

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 09:18:32 am »
I wish I could ride my bike to work. I practically lived on a bike until I was 18. I rode my bike to work at the Grocery store for a whole summer when I wrecked my car. I think that was around a 3-4 mile trip. Now that I live 25 miles from work with no realistic "bike roads", it isn't even a remote possibility.

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 01:24:32 pm »
Too bad I don't have a twin, I could look like these guys:

:)

I agree with shardian.   I wish biking was an option for me.   I live 33.3 miles from work and spend 60 bucks a week on gas. 

If I lived 3.3 miles from work I'd walk to work at least once a week.

15 pounds is nothing, 3.3 miles is even less.

the only one who thinks you're too out of shape to ride a bike is you.

If you don't want to do it for you, do it to make shardian and I envious.

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2008, 08:56:42 am »
I drove the bike to work for the first time yesterday. Conditions were ideal, no traffic and relatively cool.

Insurance for the scooter is $200/year with everything and a $100 deductible on collision and comprehensive vs. $900/yr for the Infiniti with a $500 deductible.

I've put about 22 miles on the scooter and the 1 gal. tank is about 3/4 full, so the 90 mpg figure looks about right.

If a scooter of this type costs $1200 used and I depreciate over five years, that's $500 depreciation per year for five years. So I still am saving $200/year before gas.

For gas, if I drive the scooter 2400 miles in a year at 80 mpg, that's 30 gallons of gas. The Infiniti got about 15 mpg for a usage of 160 gallons, a savings of about $500, which pretty much cancels out the depreciation.

The downside is getting wet, haven't worked out a good way to deal with that yet. Maybe I'll keep a change of clothes at the office.

Old, but not obsolete.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 11:35:28 am »
The downside is getting wet, haven't worked out a good way to deal with that yet. Maybe I'll keep a change of clothes at the office.

I usually take a backpack when I ride to work which has rain gear in it.  Riding in the rain does suck, but it's not terrible if you have the gear for it.  Just be extra careful, especially during the first few minutes of rain when it's the slickest.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 12:22:16 am »
Drop your scooter insurance down to liability, you aren't going to walk away from an accident that would do significant damage to a scooter, so the insurance is pretty pointless. I had one flip 4 times on me at about 40 miles an hour and the damage to it involved replacing a bracket and the handlebars, about $100 worth of parts.

Scooters actually have really good resale, especially compared to motorcycles. However the downside is that they are basically parts fodder by 20,000 miles, if they still even function at that point, so the hardware cost per mile is much, much higher than a used compact car. Not to mention the fact that even a $2000 used compact with 140,000 already on the clock will be an order of magnitude more reliable than a motor scooter that actually gets used as a primary vehicle.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 10:12:39 am »
Drop your scooter insurance down to liability, you aren't going to walk away from an accident that would do significant damage to a scooter, so the insurance is pretty pointless.

After the first year I'll probably drop the collision and keep the comprehensive for theft coverage. $200 is so cheap compared to auto insurance that I decided to splurge.

I figured my break-even would be about 3 years/10,000 miles so if the thing fell apart after 20,000 miles I would be way ahead. I splurged again on the extended warranty (I know it's a ripoff) so I should be good for 5 years/15,000 miles.

Old, but not obsolete.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2024, 10:05:27 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 01:16:32 am »

Your probably saving a lot more on repairs and maintenance too.

Cars:

4 tires needing replacement at least twice a lifetime if not more.

4 brakes needing rotors and pads several times

Balancing, Alignments..

Various Fluid changes, flushes, more Oil, various part failures, muffler replacement, bad hoses/leaks, pollution control issues (exhaust leaks / bad sensors) , filters, and much much more.

Most garages charge insane repair rates (60$ per hour) , and inflated part costs. 

Gas Cars Stink.

Your lucky to be in a climate where its possible to ride one.  Here in NY it gets way too
cold most of the year to drive one.   :(

protokatie

• I DO try to be insulting and horrible to my fellow Terran
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2012, 09:36:43 pm
  • Is anyone here a member of team retard?
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 06:37:25 pm »
Im just glad that I live about a mile from work, so I use my feet. I sold my ranger last year, and therefor am not an automobile owner. Im not missing the insurance and gas costs, not to mention the maint. There is a woman who lives about 1/3 of a mile from where I work, and she will drive her H2 just to get a cup of coffee at my workspace... 2 days ago someone keyed her nice "little" H2, she is lucky they didnt slash her tires....
--- Yes I AM doing this on purpose, and yes I DO realize it is pissing you off.

---If my computers were cats, my place would look like an old widows house, with half of the cats having obvious health problems

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 07:22:17 pm »
I drove the bike to work for the first time yesterday. Conditions were ideal, no traffic and relatively cool.

You drive a car and ride a bike.

Riding a scooter is feminine enough.  There's no reason for you to talk like a girl too.

;)

Jouster

• <replace with your own witty comment>
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 27, 2023, 10:55:01 pm
  • Flap, Flap...Crash
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 11:11:50 pm »
2 days ago someone keyed her nice "little" H2, she is lucky they didnt slash her tires....

Idiots that do that crap to some one else's car should be taken to a dark alley and have the same thing done to them.

A local paper here had a story/review on some scooters...but I'm about 30 miles from work, most of it interstate too.  Not really an option for me to do the scooter or bike thing.

Jouster
There are 10 types of people out there...those that understand binary, and those that don't.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 05:57:38 pm »
That would be true if it wasn't for that fact that most periodic maintenance items on cars would be replaced less often than the entire scooter would.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 06:20:57 pm »
I gassed the scooter for the first time today. I rode (not drove, thanks Dartful) the scooter 65 miles and I put in .842 gallons, for a mileage of 77 mpg. I didn't put the gas in coming out of the dealership, so there's no telling how close to full the tank was at the outset and thus the mileage is just an estimate.

I found it mildly irritating to have to gas the thing after only 65 miles. The gas gauge was at the top of the red, so I probably could have gone another day. I'm guessing that the gas was originally less than completely full, and so the 77 figure is probably high.

Old, but not obsolete.

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 07:02:07 pm »
I had an old Suzuki in college but got rid of it when I got my “real job”.  This thread got me thinking about buying another bike.

I'd save about 40 bucks a week if I rode a motorcyle to work.  I live near Chicago so I can only ride about 6 months a year(that's a high estimate) which will save me $960 a year.  Since a decent bike will cost me $1200 + tax + title + insurance, for now that era of my life officially over.

Maybe when I retire I'll buy a big bike that I’ll ride once or twice a year.  I can be one of those fat old Harley dudes that think they’ve still got “it”, when in reality they lost it two decades ago.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2008, 08:08:20 pm »
I gassed the scooter for the first time today. I rode (not drove, thanks Dartful) the scooter 65 miles and I put in .842 gallons, for a mileage of 77 mpg. I didn't put the gas in coming out of the dealership, so there's no telling how close to full the tank was at the outset and thus the mileage is just an estimate.

I found it mildly irritating to have to gas the thing after only 65 miles. The gas gauge was at the top of the red, so I probably could have gone another day. I'm guessing that the gas was originally less than completely full, and so the 77 figure is probably high.

I think you'll see the mileage improve after 1000 miles or so are on the clock and the engine loosens up.
Does it have a tach on it? Curious what its revving at cruising speed.

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2008, 11:15:06 am »
Most garages charge insane repair rates (60$ per hour) , and inflated part costs. 

That's cheap as chips...UK garages charge more like £60 per hour ($120).  Or £100 per hour if you go to somewhere like a VW garage.

That's why I have a 30 year old mini, and can fix it myself...  Mind you, economical as it is (850cc), I won't be able to afford petrol soon.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2024, 10:05:27 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2008, 01:20:45 pm »
Cheap?!

Maybe they pay people in the UK much more... & or the cost of living there
is cheaper.

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2008, 01:23:42 pm »

I think you'll see the mileage improve after 1000 miles or so are on the clock and the engine loosens up.
Does it have a tach on it? Curious what its revving at cruising speed.

No tach. Gas gauge and speedometer/odometer.

Old, but not obsolete.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2008, 03:25:45 am »
Heh . . . I don't know about the UK in general, but I think the only city in the entire world with a higher cost of living than London is Moscow.  For example, auto mechanics charge $120/hr.  I've actually never been there, but I've spent a bit of time in Paris and about the only thing more surprising than how ---smurfing--- crazy expensive Paris is, is that everybody I know who has been to London says it makes Paris seem like a downright bargain.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 04:59:08 pm »

Im just glad that I live about a mile from work, so I use my feet. I sold my ranger last year, and therefor am not an automobile owner. Im not missing the insurance and gas costs, not to mention the maint. There is a woman who lives about 1/3 of a mile from where I work, and she will drive her H2 just to get a cup of coffee at my workspace... 2 days ago someone keyed her nice "little" H2, she is lucky they didnt slash her tires....

Your entire post reeks of holier-than-thou.  Someone is "lucky" they only got their car keyed ::)  You imply she's wrong for stopping at the coffee shop you work at, when you know nothing about her other than where she lives and what she drives.

You're claiming you like the economic impact of your choices, yet can't fathom why someone sees their economic impact as acceptable to them.  It quite simply doesn't matter one whit what YOU think of their economic choices, but then again, this really isn't about their use of their money, is it?  Perhaps when your militant brand of "moralism" comes down to the level you expect everyone else to apply to you, it actually might happen.  Until then, you're begging for treatment you aren't willing to give to others.  Someone might be thinking you're a religious person, based on the intolerance simmering in your views of others ::)

Hypocrite.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 05:35:54 pm by DrewKaree »
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2008, 08:24:18 pm »

Sprucemoose

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2009, 03:56:10 pm
  • You Spent How Much?!
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2008, 12:56:49 pm »
/\
 |
 |

TOK,

Absolutely brilliant!

boogieman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2019, 05:35:48 pm
  • advancedspuds.com
    • advancedspuds - your source for spudgun information
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »
From riding a motorcycle I have this advice:  Pretend everyone is out to KILL you and you should be O.K. 

Truth is, there probably are people out to kill anyone on 2 wheels, and many others just don't care to give you the respect/right of ways as another vehicle.  It is a common myth that motorcycles stop faster than cars, and many drivers will try to use that to gain a few seconds since they are late for work while talking on the cell phone, putting on makeup, reading the newspaper and eating breakfast simultaneously. 

The worst part is, after running over someone on 2 wheels (sometimes even in fatal accidents) a simple "I didn't see them" is usually all they need to say to avoid any legal ramifications.  Ridiculous but true.   :dizzy:

Watch this:

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2008, 02:49:37 pm »
The video has a nice point, but at the same time it's like comparing apples and oranges.  First things they asked was how many passes the white team made.  So of course I'm concentrating on the white team, and blocking out the black team.  And anything else that's black as well.  In a car I'd be watching out for everything, not just one particular event.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2008, 03:58:21 pm »
Lol, I saw it, but lost track of the count.

I have to say, often motor cyclists look like they are out to get killed. They really act insane. For some reason they think they can overtake everyone/everywhere even when there really is not enough room to safely do so. They seem to assume that people will go out of the way for them anyway.

boogieman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2019, 05:35:48 pm
  • advancedspuds.com
    • advancedspuds - your source for spudgun information
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2008, 04:09:39 pm »

I have to say, often motor cyclists look like they are out to get killed. They really act insane. For some reason they think they can overtake everyone/everywhere even when there really is not enough room to safely do so. They seem to assume that people will go out of the way for them anyway.

That's true.  I cant stand idiots who ride like that.  It really pisses me off when people split lanes and pop wheelies on crotch rockets and that.  Makes me want to open my door...  thats pretty bad, considering I ride too lol.

shardian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2008, 04:44:50 pm »
Had a crotch rocket pass me on a pot hole filled bridge once doing a wheelie, speeding, and in a no-pass zone with a blind "other side of bridge". I was simply amazed at the idiocy of that fellow. If he would have been struck by oncoming traffic, I would have been tempted to punch him in the face while he was down before offering assistance.

I avoid bikers like the plague when driving. Nothing good can come from being anywhere near them in a car.

melarky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2020, 12:49:22 pm
  • If I could be any animal, I would be a llama
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2008, 04:47:24 pm »
Looks like a fun scooter.  I love scooters, I have a few of them.  I just finished recently putting a new cheap chinese knockoff 140cc engine on one of my old scooters (I guess technicall it's a motorcycle, but it's small so I call it a scooter).  It originally had a 90cc engine, then I put a 70cc engine on it I had from another scooter, now this new engine.  The 140cc is just about perfect on this bike, I'm able to keep up with traffic well, I can accellerate out of sticky situations if needed, but I still won't be winning any races in it :)

Here is a pic of my scooter (it's a Honda C200, not sure on the year, when I did the paperwork on it, I estimated it was a 1965, but I may be off a year or two):

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2008, 04:57:58 pm »
Lol, why does the smaller size make it a scooter? I thought the floorboard was the design feature that differentiates it from a motorcycle.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2008, 05:37:47 pm »
BTW to see if you suffer from road rage here's a nice test

melarky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2020, 12:49:22 pm
  • If I could be any animal, I would be a llama
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2008, 09:37:11 pm »
Lol, why does the smaller size make it a scooter? I thought the floorboard was the design feature that differentiates it from a motorcycle.

Yeah, like I said, I think technically it's considered a small motorcycle, but since it's only a 90cc originally, I always called it a scooter, and whenever I have to get parts for it, the bike shops all consider it a scooter.  It's a lot of fun though.

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2008, 06:35:43 pm »
So far I've got about 220 miles on the scooter. I measured MPG on the last tankup today and it was right around 80 mpg. My riding style is more "gun it and brake" though, so I probably could do better.
Old, but not obsolete.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2008, 09:40:28 pm »
Pulse and glide, man...pulse and glide.

Teknique

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 02, 2015, 10:35:46 am
  • I'm a Gauntlet wizard in real life
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2008, 09:11:01 am »

Someone might be thinking you're a religious person, based on the intolerance simmering in your views of others ::)

Hypocrite.

That statement is quite insulting... to just about anyone who posts their opinions on a forum.  Nevermind the religious stereotype.     

How fast can I get this moved to PnR again? 

Your screen name has been added to my frag list.

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2024, 10:35:21 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2008, 10:12:17 am »

yeah. i have been a motorcyclist in the past and it was always drummed into our heads that you have to assume that everyone is out to run you over. sadly, the latest stats show that the majority of accidents involving motorcycles also involves male riders, booze, drugs, speed or a combination of all of those...

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Dermbrian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:05:16 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2008, 08:16:54 pm »
I've had 3 scooters since 2001...an 80cc, 125cc, and a 145cc Bajaj.  Took the MSF course right off the bat.  Have about 15,000 miles of riding, and have organized several group rides in Dallas.

Cut to noon last Thursday,  I see a car suddenly turn left from the westbound lanes as I'm in the middle lane of the three eastbound lanes of an urban 40mph road.  I couln't even slow down significantly.  Suddenly I become the motorcyle rider strapped to the back board being whisked to the trauma center as my wife is getting a phone call.

Don't skimp on the protectve gear.  I need to arrange surgery for a complicated wrist break.  The deep cut on my leg thankfully missed my knee.  Somehow between the helmet, armored jacket, armored glove and jeans I survived the trip over the handlebars and the other car without other bruising or strains or horrible road rash.  At 52, I can't believe that was possible. 

So please consider wearing protective gear.  This was just a ride though the local restaurant row on a road I've ridden dozens of times. 

Brian

« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 08:21:50 pm by Dermbrian »

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2008, 05:31:00 am »

just did this test.

Safety:

You are a Very Safe Driver
Your Safety Score: 82.5 %

The average score among all people who have recently taken this test is 69.19%

Aggressiveness:

You are a Marginally Aggressive Driver
Your Degree of Aggressiveness: 57.5 %

The average score among all people who have recently taken this test is 57.02%

Courtesy:

You are a Courteous Driver
Your Courtesy Score: 75 %

The average score among all people who have recently taken this test is 73.75%

Rage:

You are a Potential Road Rager
Your Degree of Rage: 52.5 %

The average score among all people who have recently taken this test is 55.55%%

what i found funny was the offense database. i checked out the city im in and i saw one for 'not signalling during lane change'. thats funny because NO ONE in brisbane uses their indicators.  :D

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2008, 05:37:54 am »
I've had 3 scooters since 2001...an 80cc, 125cc, and a 145cc Bajaj.  Took the MSF course right off the bat.  Have about 15,000 miles of riding, and have organized several group rides in Dallas.

Cut to noon last Thursday,  I see a car suddenly turn left from the westbound lanes as I'm in the middle lane of the three eastbound lanes of an urban 40mph road.  I couln't even slow down significantly.  Suddenly I become the motorcyle rider strapped to the back board being whisked to the trauma center as my wife is getting a phone call.

Don't skimp on the protectve gear.  I need to arrange surgery for a complicated wrist break.  The deep cut on my leg thankfully missed my knee.  Somehow between the helmet, armored jacket, armored glove and jeans I survived the trip over the handlebars and the other car without other bruising or strains or horrible road rash.  At 52, I can't believe that was possible. 

So please consider wearing protective gear.  This was just a ride though the local restaurant row on a road I've ridden dozens of times. 

Brian

hmmm, gonna try and fix the scooter?  ;D

glad that you came out of it still able to walk. i ride scooters for a living (postman) and i have to admit, sometimes i let my guard down. as soon as i do, i kick myself for doing it. i constantly analyse what im doing wrong. of course, i should make sure i dont do it wrong in the first place! but still...

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2008, 06:09:06 pm »

Someone might be thinking you're a religious person, based on the intolerance simmering in your views of others ::)

Hypocrite.

That statement is quite insulting... to just about anyone who posts their opinions on a forum.  Nevermind the religious stereotype.     

How fast can I get this moved to PnR again? 

Then go back and re-read her statements.  If you're too sympathetic to her stated attitude, then apply my comments to yourself as well. 

It's pathetic that stating someone is "lucky" they weren't caused damage to their person or property simply because of their choice of vehicles can't be pointed out as being as intolerant as those who would accuse "religious whackjobs" of being.

It SHOULD have been moved when an intolerant myopic person thought it perfectly fine to post about her view of someone's choice of vehicles - the response has clearly to do with her "political & religious" view, but I don't see you decrying the statements she made.

Perhaps you might see things differently when someone posts about how "lucky" you were they didn't slash the tires on your Pious Prius ::)
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2008, 12:46:09 am »

Here are your personal scores/results in the four areas that we analyzed:

Safety:

You are a Safe Driver
Your Safety Score: 67.5 %

Aggressiveness:

Your Degree of Aggressiveness: 50 %

Courtesy:

You are a Very Courteous Driver
Your Courtesy Score: 82.5 %

Rage:

Your Degree of Rage: 45 %

Daniel270

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2011, 12:34:14 pm
  • Older Than PONG!!!
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2008, 01:09:34 am »
Here are your personal scores/results in the four areas that we analyzed:

Safety:

You are a Very Safe Driver
Your Safety Score: 87.5 %

Aggressiveness:

Your Degree of Aggressiveness: 50 %

Courtesy:

You are a Very Courteous Driver
Your Courtesy Score: 90 %

Rage:

Your Degree of Rage: 52.5 %

I Haven't Lost My Mind, It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere.

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2009, 12:41:24 pm »
I took the scooter in for its 2000 mile scheduled maintenance.

Something is seriously wrong with it now. It doesn't accelerate nearly as well now, and it can barely get up to 40 mph now. The top speed previous to this maintenance was about 52-53 mph.

The left brake caliper was adjusted badly. It was a bit too loose but now it is so tight it hurts my poor carpal tunnels to keep the brakes pressed.

They "adjusted the valves" and "adjusted the idle speed" on the carb, among other things.

I talked to the service manager and he said that adjusting the valve gap was to make the bike "in spec" and that there is a tradeoff between acceleration and top speed. Is this guy full of crap? Why would I be getting a decrease in both top speed and acceleration?

Anybody know what could be wrong with it before I take it back?
Old, but not obsolete.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:33:26 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2009, 12:59:01 pm »
It's a scooter.  You already start off with FAIL just for that.   :dunno

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2009, 01:10:18 pm »
I bought my GF a scooter with an electric motor. When it's nice weather I sometimes use it too. On short distances it's actually quicker than my car and it costs almost nothing to run (40 cents per 100 kilometers).

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2009, 01:14:45 pm »
Not sure how I missed this thread the first time.  Must have been during my hiatus.

If you think people don't respect scooters on the roads you should try riding a bicycle regularly.  When the weather is appropriate here and I'm in training I do ~25 miles a couple times a week.  Bicyclists are targets, plain and simple.  Best case you're ever going to get is someone ignoring you.  People will gun their engines at you, cut you off intentionally, throw stuff at you.  I learned from the triathlon community that most bicycling injuries aren't accidents.  They are caused by motorists, either intentionally, or just by screwing around with you and making you dump off the bike.  I have been lucky so far that this hasn't happened to me but I have had close calls and I've seen it happen to other people firsthand.

Commuting to work on a bike sounds like a nice idea but from a safety standpoint it may be the least safe method mentioned in this thread.

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2009, 01:22:56 pm »
Commuting to work on a bike sounds like a nice idea but from a safety standpoint it may be the least safe method mentioned in this thread.
In the Netherlands it feels like we have more bike paths than roads for cars.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2009, 01:35:16 pm »

Yeah, I've heard that.  Lots of places do.  Not so here, though.  I'm about 12 miles from work so that commute on a bike for me would be a simple one in terms of work.  Problem is that it's all twisty back roads that idiots texting on cell phones are doing 50 in a 35.  The shoulder is probably 12" wide and it's mostly stone walls and hazards just off of it.  I would be dead in a month.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2009, 01:38:18 pm »
*Chips in to buy CT a bike*

;D

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2009, 02:30:06 pm »
*Chips in to buy CT a bike*

;D

Get a nice enough racing bike and I will start commuting that way.   ;D

Best arrangement I've seen is when someone has a workplace with a locker room.  Then they can bring clothes in a bag, shower there, and hopefully store the bike someplace safe.  It sucks to be on the far end of a ride and have something cause you to walk home.  Biking to work that distance, in your work clothes, really isn't feasible.  Too much road grime or bike grease to look presentable if you work in an office or someplace like that.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2009, 02:35:53 pm »
Best arrangement I've seen is when someone has a workplace with a locker room.  Then they can bring clothes in a bag, shower there, and hopefully store the bike someplace safe.  It sucks to be on the far end of a ride and have something cause you to walk home.  Biking to work that distance, in your work clothes, really isn't feasible.  Too much road grime or bike grease to look presentable if you work in an office or someplace like that.

My work has that, along with a shower.  My coworker sometimes rides his bike in (about 20 miles, one way).

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2009, 02:38:17 pm »

My work has one shower.  For like 1000 people.  I've never seen anyone use it.   :P

patrickl

• Offline Offline
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2009, 03:19:25 pm »

Yeah, I've heard that.  Lots of places do.  Not so here, though.  I'm about 12 miles from work so that commute on a bike for me would be a simple one in terms of work.  Problem is that it's all twisty back roads that idiots texting on cell phones are doing 50 in a 35.  The shoulder is probably 12" wide and it's mostly stone walls and hazards just off of it.  I would be dead in a month.
Yeah, I've been in a lot of places all over the states and (apart from the big cities) usually there isn't even a sidewalk. I couldn't even walk to the nearest store without risking my life.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2009, 04:36:21 pm »
Bicyclists are targets, plain and simple.  Best case you're ever going to get is someone ignoring you.  People will gun their engines at you, cut you off intentionally, throw stuff at you.  I learned from the triathlon community that most bicycling injuries aren't accidents.  They are caused by motorists, either intentionally, or just by screwing around with you and making you dump off the bike.  I have been lucky so far that this hasn't happened to me but I have had close calls and I've seen it happen to other people firsthand.

We have bike 'lanes' on quite a few roads around here.  What is it about cyclists though that makes them ride RIGHT on the line as close as possible to the cars?  I mean I see it all the time -- there is usually several feet of bike lane unused and they are right on the bike lane divider.  You literally have to go into the other lane to safely avoid them.  It's no surprise to me that so many cyclists are hit by cars.  Seems way more dangerous than riding a motorcycle or scooter to me.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2009, 07:57:53 pm »
Not sure how I missed this thread the first time.  Must have been during my hiatus.

If you think people don't respect scooters on the roads you should try riding a bicycle regularly.  When the weather is appropriate here and I'm in training I do ~25 miles a couple times a week.  Bicyclists are targets, plain and simple.  Best case you're ever going to get is someone ignoring you.  People will gun their engines at you, cut you off intentionally, throw stuff at you.  I learned from the triathlon community that most bicycling injuries aren't accidents.  They are caused by motorists, either intentionally, or just by screwing around with you and making you dump off the bike.  I have been lucky so far that this hasn't happened to me but I have had close calls and I've seen it happen to other people firsthand.

They probably just do that because they know its you.  ;D

Cakemeister, it sounds like they're just doing a valve adjustment, where they use a feeler gauge to adjust the clearance of the valves to the valve seats in the head when they're in the closed position. Its a simple job thats totally common now that high performance small 4 strokes have taken over the 2 stroke market.
If not adjusted properly, the valves will beat on the seats and eventually wear them out. Loose valves or worn seats will both cause low compression and poor performance.

Very tough to guess at something like this with the available information though, but it sounds like maybe they can't get the valve clearance in spec for some reason and they're just hoping to blow you off.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2009, 09:55:12 pm »
We have bike 'lanes' on quite a few roads around here.  What is it about cyclists though that makes them ride RIGHT on the line as close as possible to the cars?  I mean I see it all the time -- there is usually several feet of bike lane unused and they are right on the bike lane divider.  You literally have to go into the other lane to safely avoid them.  It's no surprise to me that so many cyclists are hit by cars.  Seems way more dangerous than riding a motorcycle or scooter to me.

Hrm.  First thought is it depends on the type of bike.  If you're on a racing bike stuff like rocks, glass, and sewer grates can be a problem so I can see drifting a bit to avoid them.  People on mountain or commuter bikes are riding knobby tires, though, so they shouldn't have any reason to be hugging the white line.  There is definitely as high a percentage of crappy cyclists as there are crappy drivers. 

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2009, 10:19:43 pm »

Cakemeister, it sounds like they're just doing a valve adjustment, where they use a feeler gauge to adjust the clearance of the valves to the valve seats in the head when they're in the closed position. Its a simple job thats totally common now that high performance small 4 strokes have taken over the 2 stroke market.
If not adjusted properly, the valves will beat on the seats and eventually wear them out. Loose valves or worn seats will both cause low compression and poor performance.

Very tough to guess at something like this with the available information though, but it sounds like maybe they can't get the valve clearance in spec for some reason and they're just hoping to blow you off.

My current theory is that they misadjusted the throttle. If, for example, they changed it so that the max throttle was, say, 85% of full, the bike would exhibit symptoms like what I am seeing, ie sluggish acceleration and lowered top speed.

Then again, I know virtually nothing about internal-combustion engines and vehicles. I've never changed my own oil.   ;D

Old, but not obsolete.

protokatie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2009, 11:30:15 pm »

My work has one shower.  For like 1000 people.  I've never seen anyone use it.   :P

So, that makes it 999 people who use it, and one who never goes near it?  ;)

Quote from cakemeister:
I've never changed my own oil.   Grin

You have just won the "Throws like a sissy" award on BYOAC! (Sorry, had to throw that in, with all of the "macho" men on this forum, it seemed to fit...)

---If my computers were cats, my place would look like an old widows house, with half of the cats having obvious health problems

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2009, 12:15:20 am »

Just so we're clear, is the jab that I don't shower at work?   :dunno

Or is that that I work with 999 filthy ---daisies---?   :dunno

protokatie

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2009, 03:12:03 am »

Just so we're clear, is the jab that I don't shower at work?   :dunno

Or is that that I work with 999 filthy ---daisies---?   :dunno

The 999 people who use it should have been clear. (IE you are the 1 that doesnt). It was a simple jab. BTW, does smell transmit over fibre-optic and ethernet? I think I smell some BO from one person...  :P

(BTW, laugh a little :D )

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2009, 02:03:05 pm »

We laugh when it's funny.  We'll let you know when you achieve that.   :-*

Sprucemoose

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2009, 03:56:10 pm
  • You Spent How Much?!
« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2009, 09:28:38 am »
Since this thread was started I have bought a 2000 Honda Rebel 250cc bike in order to save money.  The bike does not do as well as a scooter on gas, but I consistantly get over 65 mpg city commuting.  I choose to only ride when its not raining and/or to cold, but still have saved a lot of cash.  The $1200 investment for this bike will pay itself off in a couple of years and because these small bike and scooters stay in demand for good 'first' bikes the resale is great.  I still get looks from people on huge "hogs" but they usually give me the friendly wave as if to say, "at least you're riding."  Which make me curious...Do any other motorcycles or sccoters wave to you while driving your scooter?

Cakemeister,
I came accros this site that may provide some help for your problem or even future problems.  This link deals specifically with your problem and states some common issues:

http://yamahavino125.com/2008/07/01/troubleshooting-yamaha-vino-and-zuma-scooters.aspx

Per the link
Condition 1: Scooter is running a slower top speed than normal. There are several reasons this could be happening. Here are some things to check:

tire pressure  (doubtful)
drive belt wear  (possible, but should have easily been caught by mechanic)
Worn rollers or vee bushings  (not sure about this one.  Dont know how long these last)
High mileage or high abuse/conditions motor  (doubtful unless you are jumping ramps in those 3.3miles)

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2009, 09:50:23 am »
Thanks for your link.

Sometimes when I see other people riding motorcycles they will give a "low five". I find that amusing.

Old, but not obsolete.

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2009, 01:58:24 pm »
I got the bike back from the shop a few days ago. Essentially they said there was nothing wrong with it and the problems I've been having are temperature-related. They said that when it's cold outside, the bike will accelerate slower and will have a lower top speed.

That seemed weird to me, but it has been warmer the past week or so and the bike has indeed run better since I got it back.

I haven't owned a carbureated vehicle in a long time, is this sluggishness typical of bikes with carbs?
Old, but not obsolete.

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2009, 01:50:38 pm »
Well I've had the scooter for a year.

There's right around 3000 miles on it. It rides really well. The top speed and power reduction when cold was a bit disappointing, but for the most part it has been reliable.

On short trips to and from work, I just wear a helmet, but for longer trips or on busier roads I wear full armored jacket, jeans, gloves, and over-the-ankle boots with the helmet.

I renewed the insurance with liability only. It cost $20.

Old, but not obsolete.

Cakemeister

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2010, 11:18:11 am »
I went over 5000 miles on the scooter yesterday. I'm right at two years on the bike.

Last Christmas I got a windshield for the bike. It makes things a lot more comfortable in the wintertime. Last winter I didn't notice much difference in top end speed and acceleration like I did the winter before, which tells me they just put in too much oil last time.

When I took the bike in for its 4000 mile maintenance I had to replace one of the tires. I guess the dealership wasn't shafting me enough with just the hundred bucks for the maintenance. :)

I haven't checked mileage with the addition of the windshield. Supposedly it adds a little bit.
Old, but not obsolete.

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2010, 02:56:49 pm »
Very cool. Glad it's working out.

I'm all for cheaper transport. A scooter is out of the question for me due to the distances I travel. Work is over 100 miles away. I don't fancy that on a scooter (both ways every day.)

I drive a diesel  '06 Merc A-Class that I 'soft peddle' to an average of 65mpg, but it's painful. Oh boy is it painful.

EDITED to add: That's British Gallons, not US gallons. 1 British Imperial gallon = 1.201 US Gallon.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 02:59:13 pm by Silas (son of Silas) »
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2024, 12:05:34 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2010, 11:46:26 am »
That's awesome that you chose the more wallet and environmental option. I have a dodge dakota and a kio rio - I ride my bicycle to work every day [about 8km] and back. The truck is for hauling stuff and camping with kayaks, and the rio zips me around to the north end of town when I need to.

About bike riding and losing weight! I have a story to tell fo sho. I was 220lbs at one point - at 5'7, that makes me a little tub of blubber. I sold my car, and stopped snacking when I was bored [really, it's a common thing to do]. I started riding my bike to work and back which at the time was about 3-4km after a 40 minute bus ride, which was good for 10 months of the year [vancouver rain]. In a single year I dropped 60 lbs. I'm now 165. Now obviously you aren't gonna ditch your scooter, but early on you did say chunking down was on your list of things to do - how did that work out? Or is it right after your next arcade project?