Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Remote power on  (Read 1384 times)

billpa

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2017, 11:25:31 pm
Remote power on
« on: May 12, 2008, 11:17:56 am »
I have a cp I put together for playing games on my tv in my living room. The pc sits on shelf in my basement (directly under where the TV is upstairs). I set it up so that I have a PS2 and USB port installed on the plate where the cable comes through but I would like to set up a remote power on so that I can just plug the panel in and press a dedicated power button (just an arcade style button) to fire up the PC.

My question is, what would be a decent connector to use for something like this? It should be pretty sturdy as I would be unplugging and plugging it in every time I decide to play. And it would be great if i can flush mount it to the plate behind my tv.

TIA,
billpa

MustardTent

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2015, 12:14:02 pm
    • Blog
Re: Remote power on
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 11:22:39 am »
What are your aesthetic requirements?

billpa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:29:16 am »
Well since the connection is behind the tv, not much really. Im planning on ganging the three wires/connections (PS2, USB, and power) together and shrinkwrapping them together so it looks like one wire coming from the panel.

massive88

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2024, 02:21:01 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 12:25:05 pm »
Can your computer power on by USB keyboard keystrokes?

I power mine by the mouse button, which is wired as a button on my CP.  I have to quad-click it to get it to fire up, but it prevents me from ever having to touch the computer.

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 12:44:11 pm »
If X10 is an option then you could do that. I use that as a way to remotely power up my mame cab whenever I want to do maintenance from my desktop machine. I don't remember for sure what the particular device is called, but it's for low voltage stuff, and it basically acts like a 1 second button press (i.e. it shorts the terminals for 1 second). I have that wired up to my PC's power button connector in parallel with a happ pushbutton (mounted on the top of the cab) so I can turn it on either way.

Hope that makes sense. If this is a route you're interested in I'd be glad to provide more details.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

MustardTent

• Offline Offline
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 02:02:35 pm »
Like massive88 said, you should first look to see if you can power up by a keystroke.  Check in your bios settings for this.  Of course, this is only really useful if your CP acts as a keyboard and not a joystick/joypad.

Either way, how about a DB9 (serial cable)?  We all know those can handle many many connect/disconnect cycles, and they're crazy easy to hack.  Plus, you'll have a few more lines to use for expansion if needed.

billpa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 02:15:21 pm »
I am going to check the bios tonight if I can do a keyboard power on. I did take a look last night but didnt have a lot of time because my kid woke up from having a nightmare.  :dizzy:

Just curious what it would be listed as under the power settings in the bios. Would it say something like keyboard power on or KBPO?

DB9 is a good idea. I think I have a few spare cables laying around. Definitely sturdy enough!

Cheers,
Bill

MustardTent

• Offline Offline
    • Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 02:21:57 pm »
Yeah, it'll probably be under the power settings (or maybe general, or advanced...i can never remember how to navigate bios menus -- i just look till i find it).  But either way, the option will be pretty obvious (power on keyboard or something like that).

Also, i don't know what you're using for a wall plate, but datapro is a good place to go for stuff like this.

billpa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »
I bought the panel mount cables from some other company like the one you posted. Can't remember the name. I was just going to fashion my own plate since the varied connections will be something that I would not be able to buy and I dont feel like paying 20 bucks for a custom face plate shipped to my house. Besides, no one will really see it except me. I will make sure its sturdy and it will look pretty clean.

Cheers,
Bill

MustardTent

• Offline Offline
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 02:34:02 pm »
Cool -- good luck.  Post some pictures when you're done!

:cheers: