Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mountain's Bartop Jukebox - Kits now available!!  (Read 183615 times)

Yvan256

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
Re: Mountain's Bartop Jukebox for Dad *MAMEY WINNER*
« Reply #240 on: September 12, 2009, 12:39:25 pm »
LOL at 4m29s I thought for sure the mouse would get sucked up by the built-in vacuum.  :laugh2:

Bender

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #241 on: September 12, 2009, 02:54:40 pm »
SO cool!..... I Want, I want!!!

What did you use for the plastic skirt around the vacuum base?

Shortbus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 03:20:00 pm
« Reply #242 on: September 12, 2009, 03:06:10 pm »
Dude, you have a CNC ? Sorry can't watch the video yet, (I'm at work), but cannot wait to see. Did you build the CNC? or buy? In my million and one things I want to do before I kick the bucket, building a cnc is on the list, so I'm curious.  If you bought it, what was the cost, I love the jukebox, and even though it's completed, I continue to monitor this post.

thanks for all you do, you reply to each and every question, thats great.

Look forward to seeing, watching and learning more..    :notworthy:

azpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2009, 03:43:42 am
« Reply #243 on: September 12, 2009, 08:58:06 pm »
I have gone through this thread a couple of times and either I am blind or the marquee construction process Bender did is not here.  Is the by chance another thread on how Bender got that neon look?  How is is back lit etc??  That marquee came out fantastic too!

I like the marquee look so much I would like to incorporate it in another project, non jukebox of course.

Thanks!

azpaul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2009, 03:43:42 am
« Reply #244 on: September 12, 2009, 09:09:00 pm »
Hey Mountain,

That is a nice video of the cnc machine..  Is that yours or are you borrowing someone else's?

Patience is hard to handle when you can almost touch this!  Do you think you will have kits available By November?   How many kits can you crank out in a day?

Thanks!

Bender

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2016, 08:12:21 pm
    • Happ to Tron Conversion tutorial
« Reply #245 on: September 13, 2009, 10:33:05 am »
I didn't do the marquee construction, just helped a bit with the Art (Based on Mountain's Ideas)
It's backlit like a regular marquee
I just modified a neon font in Photoshop to give it some glow

Mountain can give you some more detail on how he constructed and lit the marquee area

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #246 on: September 13, 2009, 01:36:12 pm »
Wow, look at all these replies. I posted those videos and immediately jumped in the car and headed out of town for most of the weekend.

@ Jav - Yes, there are some freeware projects out there that help out. It is all designed on the computer and then a program generates the "G-code" which is what tells the machine controller how to cut it.

Also, I hear what you are saying about crossing the finish line.  :-[  I will PM you with some info on your I/O panel. Nice to see you are ready to finish it up.

@ Bender - The vacuum skirting is an industrial product made from thick clear plastic. It is similar to the long vertical strips used to keep in the cold in those big walk in freezers.

@ Shortbus - Yes, the CNC machine is built entirely from scratch using plans purchased here. It was a big challenge that I had wanted to do for a long time. If you build one, be prepared to pull your hair out at time. There are some very steep learning curves (at least for me) with CNC technology and the software required to make it all work.

@ azpaul - PM sent.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 06:22:45 am by mountain »

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #247 on: September 17, 2009, 04:09:06 pm »
If I may say so, that is simply amazing! I didn't realize you had built your CNC machine from scratch! Actually the thought of building your own CNC machine never even crossed my mind, I had no idea that was possible.  Did you happen do document your CNC build, do you have any build picks?? Just asking, you knew someone was going to ask eventually anyway ;D

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
« Reply #248 on: September 17, 2009, 04:56:13 pm »
If I may say so, that is simply amazing! I didn't realize you had built your CNC machine from scratch! Actually the thought of building your own CNC machine never even crossed my mind, I had no idea that was possible.  Did you happen do document your CNC build, do you have any build picks?? Just asking, you knew someone was going to ask eventually anyway ;D

Plenty of information here: http://www.cnczone.com/  I have toyed with the idea of building my own CNC but the time, materials and effort to learn how to make it all work is more than I want to deal with right now.

Michael
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 05:30:12 pm by Kaytrim »

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #249 on: September 17, 2009, 10:06:18 pm »

Thanks orion, yeah, I documented it with pictures. I even thought about posting a streamlined build thread over in the woodworking section a while ago but wasn't sure if it was appropriate  :dunno

Plenty of information here: http://www.cnczone.com/  I have toyed with the idea of building my own CNC but the time, materials and effort to learn how to make it all work is more than I want to deal with right now.

Michael

Plenty of info indeed. That is where I found out about my design. That has to be the largest forum I have ever seen. Spend 5 minutes trying to navigate through it and you will know what I mean.

rEd86

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2009, 03:17:09 pm
« Reply #250 on: September 18, 2009, 08:31:01 pm »
Thanks orion, yeah, I documented it with pictures. I even thought about posting a streamlined build thread over in the woodworking section a while ago but wasn't sure if it was appropriate  :dunno
I think it's VERY appropriate.  I am especially interested in where you found your materials.  I have been toying with building a CNC machine (even ordered the motors/controller) but I am not sure about the threaded rod.  (I want my table to be 4'x8')  You CNC build looks as professional/nice as your Jukebox.

Congrats!

--Ed

Shortbus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #251 on: September 19, 2009, 01:03:00 pm »
As always, thanks for the reply. If Mountain had trouble, then I'm  :censored: ed''''''' LOL, I like making signs but don't like the routing part, one little mistake and it shows up. I like painting them though, and I make some good extra $ selling them, so this has been a wish of mine for a while, a new or used one cost about as much as a used car to a new car, so thats out, if I can build one slowly for under a grand, it'd be worth it for me.....thanks for the info. How much did yours cost total? forgive me if you mentioned and I missed it.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 01:06:22 pm by Shortbus »

system01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2023, 08:06:55 pm
  • System Idle Processes are the Devil's Playthings
« Reply #252 on: September 20, 2009, 02:17:12 am »
I've gotta chime in (read:ramble, sorry if I interrupt, mountain).  I'm building the same machine as mountain, I'm just way behind him.  I'm not tooting my horn here, I just want to throw in a second opinion.  Even though mine's not running yet, these things are nice.  They are well designed and planned.  Visit the link above (or check youtube) and you'll get some examples.  Even though some have rough spots, I don't think anyone that has finished a machine has regretted it.  It's a nice piece of equipment.

The appropriateness is based on the fact that it's a pay-for forum.  There is a price to pay up front for the plans and for forum access.  This seems steep at first, but once you start working on it you soon forget about it.  The uncertainty of posting a build thread comes from how much you can post without giving away the design.

The plans and forum include a very complete bill of materials, as well as a lot of members' input on where to get materials or alternative methods of doing things.  There are also a lot of successful mods that you can incorporate beyond the original plans.  There are users worldwide, and many have figured out ways to procure hard-to-find parts or avoid exorbitant shipping costs.

The cost is variable.  It depends on where you live, where you work, how resourceful you are, friends in the business, what mat'ls you're going to use, etc.  My guess is plan on ~USD$2500.  I've seen way cheaper and much more expensive.  Although I really don't see you going below $1500-$1800 unless you already work in an automation industry or have a lot of these parts laying around.  About half the cost is in the mechanical and half in the electrical/electronic.  This does not include whatever PC or software you want to use.

Yes, there are a couple people that have successfully built 4x8 machines.

So, if you want to take the plunge, I highly suggest it (and I'm not even cutting yet!).  I would compare the complexity to an arcade machine, maybe slightly more.  On the flip side, building this makes arcades seem so much simpler. ;D

Shortbus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #253 on: September 20, 2009, 06:58:07 am »
Thank You System01. I appreciate the input. I've been craving one of these for about 5 years, and know it would be challenging as well as expensive, but the coolness factor of having one of these is priceless, the possibilities are endless.

I've been starting to read the free forums and in an information gathering state, which, if it's anything like building an arcade cab, is a never-ending process, which I don't mind, it's how I fill the gaps of free time, it's great.

Best of luck with your project, bet you can't wait to fire it up and get creating........

« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 07:27:39 am by Shortbus »

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #254 on: September 28, 2009, 12:30:15 pm »
Mountain Jukebox Kits shipping soon!

I am happy to announce that the jukebox kits are 100% designed and some will be ready to ship once the prototype parts have been fully tested and documented. I am looking to see how much interest there may be. There will be two versions of the design available, one that rotates and one that is stationary. There will be 3 versions, or levels, of each kit to choose from depending on what the end user may need based on their skill level and budget.

Here are the models that will be available.

SLV1 - Stationary Model Level 1 - $99.00
SLV2 - Stationary Model Level 2 - $299.00
SLV3 - Stationary Model Level 3 - TBD

RLV1 - Rotating Model Level 1 - $149.00
RLV2 - Rotating Model Level 2 - $349.00
RLV3 - Rotating Model Level 3 - TBD

The first available kits will be the base models, SLV1 and RLV1. These kits are meant for those who want the basic Mountain Jukebox design elements, but would rather do a lot of the labor themselves, opening the door for modifications and alternative speaker/monitor solutions. No monitor or speaker cutting is included. The rear panel is left blank, other than the marquee shape for venting.

The SLV2 and RLV2 will come with all of the raw materials, unassembled, to make the Mountain Jukebox. Everything is included except the T-Molding. The top, sides, and speaker base (RLV2 only) will be wrapped in vinyl laminate. The Plexiglas face is cut and glued to the front panels. Polishing is not included but will be available at an additional charge. Plans for being able to specify different color combinations are being worked out as well. Who wants a blue faced Mountain Juke? How about a Yellow face/black body for those Steeler fans?? Picking your T-molding will be an easy way to make it your own. The SLV2 and RLV2 will be available soon afterward once I have secured pricing for the additional parts needed. I am still sourcing some of the components determine costs on the the L3 models.

All kit orders will receive a digital template for designing their marquee. Plans for offering a marquee service are in the works. Each kit will come with a color printed instruction manual with detailed step by step instructions.

Example of an RLV2 kit.

Sample taken from the assembly instructions.

Please reply here or send me PM with any questions. Once I am ready to take orders, I will start a thread over in the BST area with more details.

cboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2012, 02:09:29 am
« Reply #255 on: September 28, 2009, 01:52:56 pm »
looking good mountain!!

orion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2022, 03:58:03 pm
« Reply #256 on: September 28, 2009, 04:24:08 pm »
So I take it my skin is going to be included in the V3's?  :) I'm going to have to show my brother and sister in laws this as some of them are already asking me to build them a jukebox after seeing mine this weekend (which I know, I still haven't documented). I don't know how much they are willing to spend but one of my sister in laws was absolutely drooling over the thing. If they really are as serious as they seem I'm going to point them in this direction. Heck I might even get one for myself eventually, just because I like your design so much. They look really good Mountain... tempting... tempting...

Edit: This design just screams for the ability to play some touchscreen games, which is possible with Xlobby ya know..... someone just needs to find some free time..... hummmmmmm.......
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 04:30:05 pm by orion »

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #257 on: September 28, 2009, 05:09:49 pm »
 :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Very impressive!  Like, you might stand to make a lot of money, type of impressive. :cheers:

retrab

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2009, 06:53:24 am
« Reply #258 on: September 29, 2009, 06:51:21 am »
I'd take one tomorrow!...if I knew you could ship to South Africa  ???

vzok

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2011, 11:29:17 am
Re: Mountain's Bartop Jukebox Kits available!!
« Reply #259 on: October 02, 2009, 04:15:54 pm »
Mountain, that is a great little jukebox. Fantastic design. It must be great to have the skill to be able to make something as good as that.

Shortbus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #260 on: October 02, 2009, 04:51:46 pm »
I know from experience, that having/starting up a side business along with a normal job, is very tough, hang in there Mountain, hopefully you can retire soon, from all the bags of cash your gonna make selling this extremely fine project kit.

'Bona Fortuno' to you....

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #261 on: October 02, 2009, 11:40:17 pm »
Well, thank you everybody. The kits have taken longer than expected mainly because the scope of the project is much larger than I first expected. I knew I wanted to provide a well designed kit that was very simple to assemble for most buyers. I was overwhelmed by all of the work that needed done and kept finding better things to do.  :-[  A few months ago BYOAC member system01 approached me with an offer to document the jukebox kit instructions for me. To be honest, I had not even thought about that part of the project. I kicked it around a bit and decided to use his services. As proven by the renderings in my last post, his work is amazing. he produced the exploded view drawings that I posted earlier. He has been an incredible asset to this project and has pointed out several fixes and improvements along the way.

Once we hammer out the final details, I will be taking orders over in BST. Lead time for the kits will be 1-3 weeks. More details will be available once they are officially available.

SnApRoLl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2010, 05:26:50 pm
« Reply #262 on: October 07, 2009, 11:30:55 am »
Hi Mountain how are you?
First I just want to say that your Jukebox design is nothing short of unbelievable!!!  :notworthy:
I just acquired a complete touchscreen from a good friend and your jukebox build inspired me to build a bar top jukebox and I was wondering if it would be ok if I incorporate some of your design ideas into my jukebox?

Thanks,

Shawn

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #263 on: November 22, 2009, 03:18:49 pm »
The kits are now available for those who may be interested.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=98274.0

Please PM me or reply to the post above with any questions.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 06:21:32 am by mountain »

Stub

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 12:23:15 pm
  • Sensory Overload
Re: Mountain's Bartop Jukebox---> For Dad
« Reply #264 on: November 25, 2009, 01:48:40 am »

I took apart a Griffin Powermate and determined that this is the perfect solution for this juke.
So, about the Griffin Powermate. One common issue is the thing likes to disconnect from the computer, or not be identified on bootup. Unplugging the USB and plugging it back up seems to resolve the issue. I'm suspicious that it might have something to do with the USB extender cable, but I haven't confirmed it. Did they ever fix this issue?

[/quote]

I don't know if there is a fix for it or not. I have heard that it is hit or miss. I plan on putting a switch on the back to disconnect the data bus wires just in case this ever becomes an issue.

[/quote]

Did the powermate ever end up causing you issues?

drakkar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2010, 03:37:25 am
« Reply #265 on: March 24, 2010, 03:37:25 am »
I didn't do the marquee construction, just helped a bit with the Art (Based on Mountain's Ideas)
It's backlit like a regular marquee
I just modified a neon font in Photoshop to give it some glow

Mountain can give you some more detail on how he constructed and lit the marquee area

hi I would just like to ask what font it is and how you modified it? or if there is any chance of getting this modified font please ?
it looks awesome

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
Re: Mountain's Bartop Jukebox - Kits now available!!
« Reply #266 on: September 12, 2010, 05:45:16 pm »
I haven't seen this thread before, and I must say that I'm impressed.
This build will most certainly act as inspiration for my future projects.
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

acejas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2021, 06:15:55 pm
« Reply #267 on: January 29, 2011, 08:54:22 pm »
I have a question regarding the backlighting used for the Marquee. It looks like some kind of LED strip? Any details on that? Did you enclose the marquee area to difuse the light?

Cheers

Stub

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 12:23:15 pm
  • Sensory Overload
« Reply #268 on: January 30, 2011, 05:12:07 pm »
Used nova matrix

Works fine on a poster board cut into the arch

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=83&products_id=307

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2024, 06:21:28 pm
« Reply #269 on: September 03, 2011, 09:01:14 pm »
Does anyone know where I can find a Link building service?

Jamesemt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2011, 09:14:08 am
« Reply #270 on: September 29, 2011, 09:13:01 am »
Is mountain still doing these kits? The forum won't let me pm him??

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #271 on: September 29, 2011, 09:29:36 am »
afaik he is still making them.   You need a couple more posts before you can PM or post in BST.

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #272 on: September 29, 2011, 10:57:20 am »
Yes, I still sell these. I will send you a PM

videolast

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2015, 12:51:19 am
Re: Finished! Mountain's Bartop Jukebox---> for Dad
« Reply #273 on: November 10, 2011, 10:14:31 pm »

Hey Encryptor!

All I can find about the version is "XLOBBY2 2.0" I can send it to you if you like.

The Juke has a 250g HD

I decided only to install the switch if needed. So far I have not had any issues. I did de-solder the CHEAP USB cable that came with it and replaced it with a better quality cable. If the problem is in the cable it shouldn't be an issue now.

The Dell speakers are sold seperately to be mounted on a variety of Dell LCD monitors. Do a search for Dell AS501. They actually sound good considering what they are. For casual listening around the bar, they are perfect.

Hope this helps. Are you planning on building one?

Hi Mountain. Is there a chance you can tell me where I can download the "XLOBBY2 2.0", I just cant find any legit versions. I like the way it looks on your video and I would really like to test it out and see if I want to build one of these.

thanks