Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Compiling MAME  (Read 1079 times)

jardine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 26, 2023, 10:52:57 pm
Compiling MAME
« on: June 04, 2008, 03:54:48 am »
Short question: I want to add high score support to v.123 of mame...do i need to compile mame to do this?

Long Question: Compiling mame looks to me to be making your own version of mame of sorts. If i already have v.123 on my pc why would i want to compile mame, would this add another version of mame or would i be compiling v.123? Sure it might give me a better understanding of the work that goes into mame, but effectivley all i want to add to mame at this stage is high score support as stated above.

Please help a newbie grasp a better understanding of why we compile?

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
Re: Compiling MAME
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 04:54:51 am »
Short question: I want to add high score support to v.123 of mame...do i need to compile mame to do this?

Short answer: yes

Long Question: Compiling mame looks to me to be making your own version of mame of sorts. If i already have v.123 on my pc why would i want to compile mame, would this add another version of mame or would i be compiling v.123? Sure it might give me a better understanding of the work that goes into mame, but effectivley all i want to add to mame at this stage is high score support as stated above.

You want to compile Mame because you want to add hiscore support...sounds like you don't have any other reason. You would just be doing a 'custom compile' of Mame v0.123.

Please help a newbie grasp a better understanding of why we compile?

Most people do it purely to add things that the official Mame doesn't do, or to take things out that the official Mame does do (eg nag screens).

IDDQD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2020, 12:13:47 am
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 11:35:04 am »
It sounds like you want to be compiling this using this.

TxGlenn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2015, 03:34:13 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 12:40:29 pm »
You may already know this and I could be wrong as I am still researching getting my high scores to save as well but...

From what I've read, high score saving is only supported by those games that had some mechanism to save the high scores upon cabinet power-off.  I downloaded MAMEUIFX and the high-scoring saving worked in Zookeeper.  But most of the games I was wanting to save, DK, Pacman, etc. were not able to save high scores.  I read where we could try doing a "save state" where you effectively just save the game as you're quitting out of it and then you need to "load saved state" when you want to play again.  This didn't sound very seemless to me, especially using a UI version of MAME.  Maybe I'm wrong?

Also, doing the save state method, your scores will end up getting wiped out if you upgrade your version of MAME later on.

Someone please correct me if any of this is wrong.  This is all still new to me and some of what I'm reading may already be outdated.

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 01:24:55 pm »
If you compile in hiscore support and download hiscore.dat, (many) games which lost high scores on power off will not suffer that problem in mame (including DK and pacman).
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup