Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: abrupt power cut/power down & windows  (Read 967 times)

kelroy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2009, 12:10:08 pm
abrupt power cut/power down & windows
« on: March 17, 2008, 12:43:09 am »
I have a cabinet with a power switch on the outside that controls global power to the cabinet.  my question is what are the negative effects of repetitive abrupt cut to the power flow of a windows machine.  I have written a script to purge the windows prefetch folder on startup;  is there any other things I can account for to keep the machine running smoothly.  as a note the machine is roughly a year old and no problems related to abrupt power obstruction proven thus far.  Startup time not an issue is there anything else that I could account for on startup that normally occurs on shutdown?

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
Re: abrupt power cut/power down & windows
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 12:53:19 am »
My suggestion would be to wire up an arcade button to the 2 pin "power button" header on your motherboard (the one that normally wires up to your case's power button). Then mount it somewhere out of the way (mine is on the top of the cab). That way, hit it once to power up, and hit it again to power back down. Then you don't have abnormal shutdowns.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup