Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Possible DK cab comin' my way?? Fingers crossed! (NOW W/ PICS!!)  (Read 10626 times)

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
Re: Possible DK cab comin' my way?? Fingers crossed!
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2008, 12:31:26 pm »
I told him he could be making a LOT more off of them, but he said $150 under the table would do it.

What happened to the pictures and video of the inside of this warehouse???? 8000 Sq Feet of warehouse so crammed full of classic cabs that you can't move in there!!!!
GET SOME PICTURES!!!!

This is a true goldmine! As for this guy only wanting $150 for them "Damn"!!! Take out a bank loan and buy the lot! You'll only get one shot at this PERIOD. This is NEVER going to come up again EVER!!! 99% of the arcade warehouses are gone forever, already cleared out. You need to catalog what's in there machine by machine and do it soon. This is about WAY more than you getting a working DK cab.

PICTURES! WE WANT PICTURES! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:  What else is in this warehouse?? How much 80's stuff is in there.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

ArtsNFartsNCrafts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2020, 09:22:50 pm
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2008, 02:12:18 pm »
Haha.  You're preachin' to the choir, brother!  Unfortunately, spring break is over for me, so I'll have to go back up there on a weekend.  I'll do my best to take a camera (video or still, or both) next time I go up there. 

Would you like me to tell this guy that there's extreme interest from a LOT of people regarding these cabs?

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2008, 02:34:24 pm »
Would you like me to tell this guy that there's extreme interest from a LOT of people regarding these cabs?

Hell No!!!! Already telling him he could get way more for them is enough.... This IS one of those Holy Grail  finds. Genuine collectors need to get in there, before the dealers descend on him, and they will do, like a pack of rabid dogs once they figure out the location.

It's a pitty this place is on the oposite side of the Atlantic to me..... DAMN DAMN DAMN DAMN  :( :( :( :'( :'( :'(

Just get pictures, before it's all gone forever!

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 02:35:56 pm by Fozzy The Bear »
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

ArtsNFartsNCrafts

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2008, 05:00:10 pm »
complete wiring harness on the way.

if it arrives this week, i'll try to get back up to the place WITH a camera, this weekend...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:04:23 pm by ArtsNFartsNCrafts »

ArtsNFartsNCrafts

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2008, 07:53:51 pm »
(sorry to stack posts, guys)

Wiring harness is on its way!  Anyone have any info on how to connect it right the first time?  Any diagrams or stuff like that?

ArtsNFartsNCrafts

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2008, 06:20:04 pm »
DK coin door question:

Do these things use a generic type of key/lock to secure the door, or am I screwed if the coin door is missing its key? (hey, at least it's not shut and locked...it's just open, without a key)

TheShanMan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2008, 06:44:19 pm »
I just went to Home Depot and got a cabinet lock. Works great and looks like the original, but I did have to modify it slightly to get it to work though. Did the same thing for the back panel. In fact, I looked for 2 locks that had the same key number so they would share the same key (the key number was printed on the keys).
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

ArtsNFartsNCrafts

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2008, 08:11:55 pm »
Are you talking about the lock w/ the circular key thing?  That's what I'm talking about...

TheShanMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 03:35:12 pm
    • My Arcade (updated 1/30/13)
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2008, 02:33:50 am »
No, mine uses a standard key.
My Collection: Mame cab, 38 dedicated vids, pin, skeeball, coin op air hockey table, Ice Cold Beer, Megatouch, 2 token machines, and payphone (VAPS, pics at Arcade Crusade)

Add Ambience to your mame cab setup

jimkirk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2013, 01:24:15 am
  • Ahead warp factor 5 Mr. Sulu.
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2008, 01:24:14 am »
DK coin door question:

Do these things use a generic type of key/lock to secure the door, or am I screwed if the coin door is missing its key? (hey, at least it's not shut and locked...it's just open, without a key)
I have a spare lock for Nintendo coin door. It's brand new and it's the tubular key type. You can have it for $5.00+ shipping. PM if interested.
I know who Phet is and many of you do not.

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2020, 09:26:27 pm
  • A young guy feeling older than sin......
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2008, 12:16:53 pm »
I just went to Home Depot and got a cabinet lock. Works great and looks like the original, but I did have to modify it slightly to get it to work though. Did the same thing for the back panel. In fact, I looked for 2 locks that had the same key number so they would share the same key (the key number was printed on the keys).

I did the same thing when re-furbing the coin door I bought off of E-Bay.  I was shocked to see that HD had locks that looked EXACTLY the same as the ones in the coin door.  They fit like a glove, and I got two with the same keys so that one key will open up both doors on the coin door.  They look like brand new coin doors now.   :applaud:
Donkey Kong High Scores:
1): 49,500
2): 35,600
3): 30,100
4): 29,400
5): 28,200

ArtsNFartsNCrafts

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2008, 11:43:00 pm »
Little update, guys:  I've been calling my guy periodically to check on the status of my machine (given that his place is located over 100 miles away, it's difficult for me to go up and work on it, and he insisted that it work before I pay and take it). 

His exact words were, "I said I'd sell you a WORKING donkey kong machine for $150, and I aim to keep my end of the deal."

So he's had his wiring/technician guy working on it here and there between their routes (they've been fixing up my machine in their spare time, more or less).  Well, this week he said they're making it a priority to finish my machine.  Sweet.

So I call the guy today, and he was actually working on it right then.  He said "I've got everything up and running, and the tube on this monitor is in great condition.  But the picture is just a little bit off kilter...so I think I'm going to need to replace the capacitors on the board before you take it...so if you can give me a day or two to get that done."

So the dude is re-capping the monitor, free of charge.  And I don't know if I mentioned this previously, but he also re-conditioned the power supply...I'm not sure what he did, but I know that at first, it didn't work...so he dissassembled it, replaced a bunch of parts, reassembled it, and now it works great.

He also managed to get my 4-board DK PCB to work in the thing.

So when I get this thing, the only things I'm going to have to do are:

1) Change the DK JR marquee to a DK one (anyone have one of those lying around?).
2) Change the DK JR cp overlay to a DK overlay (ditto)
3) Get new T-molding.
4) Get new side art.

...excitement.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:58:31 pm by ArtsNFartsNCrafts »

Lutus

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2012, 10:58:10 am
  • "I love my Power Glove. It's so BAD!"
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2008, 11:18:38 am »
Surprising he would bend over backwards to sell you a working machine for that price.  Hopefully he won't pull the "not that it is working, 300 dollars and it is yours."

Here is hoping  :cheers:
-----------------------------
www.justin.tv/lutus8
www.encoreinstruction.com <-- for my fellow musicians

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2008, 11:35:05 pm »
I'm betting there's nuns that would show their boobs faster than this drama is playing out. 

*yaaaahhhhwwwwnnnn* ::)
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

ArtsNFartsNCrafts

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2008, 11:45:55 pm »
Hey, man...good things come to blah blah blah.

ArtsNFartsNCrafts

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2008, 07:50:53 pm »
Previously on "Possible DK cab comin' my way?? Fingers crossed!"

Nick waits as the arcade guy restores a Donkey Kong machine, and sells it for $150.

So I speak to dude this afternoon, and he did a lot of work on the thing, today.  After re-capping the monitor, he said the picture looked beautiful, and "You'd almost think it was a brand new monitor."  So awesome.

He then dug around, and managed to find an original DK Marquee, which is also awesome!  He said it has a couple of scratches on it, but that he thinks it adds "character" to the machine.  We'll see. 

I probably mentioned it previously, but all of the good components were in a crappy cabinet, and today, he moved them into a cabinet that's in great condition (this was something I actually got to inspect). 

He also fixed the "limp" joystick, and re "lubed" it..he said it feels like brand new.

The only snag he ran into was that he was having problem with the sound output.  He checked the speaker and the audio output on the boards, and said that both seemed to be in fine working order.  I sent him the schematic of the boards, and he said that he would "do his homework" tonight and have it working by tomorrow.

He said "This thing REALLY looks great.  I think you're gonna be really excited when you see how good this monitor looks."

W00t!

ArtsNFartsNCrafts

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2008, 11:45:23 pm »
Question:  Does anyone know where I might track down the sound cable that goes from the donkey kong PSU to the board(s)?  The only issue with the cab is sound, and the guy couldn't track down the proper sound cable in any of the other cabs.

Or at least what are the pinouts (if there's a more "technical term for that, sorry) on each end of the cable?

Thanks!

Barry Barcrest

• I'm only in it for the lack of money
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2021, 09:54:17 am
  • Simple Plan
    • E-Touch Jukebox
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2008, 08:55:22 am »
Is he charging you interest on this $150? If so you'll probably owe him eleventy brazillion by now... About £1.25 in english money.

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2008, 01:15:46 pm »
- E

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2008, 02:24:42 pm »
I'm sorry, but this story is mildly fishy, yes.

Having worked in the industry for a few years, and personally knowing quite a few ops, I don't know a single one that would go thru this much trouble and only ask for a pittance.  $150 for the parts thrown your way I can see, but you're saying he's doing work on it as well (shopping it out, capping the monitor) that's money out of the ops pocket right there.

Hey, if I'm wrong and you're getting one hell of a deal, then that's awesome.  But there are no pictures, and a fairly unbelievable story.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2024, 09:33:37 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2008, 03:30:15 pm »
And if this op is pushing $150 working DKs, I would expect that the hardcore collectors would have found him, descended like locusts and picked the place clean.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

ArtsNFartsNCrafts

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2008, 07:28:06 pm »
Go ahead, nay sayers, and have your doubts!  I'll show you soon enough!  I said from the get go that it sounded too good to be true, and I was initially skeptical myself...not to mention that I had no expectation whatsoever of THEM doing all the restorative work for me...And I offered to pay more, given all the work they put into it, and they wouldn't have it!  I offered to buy all of the necessary parts needed to fix what needed fixing, and they wouldn't accept that either.  I think the old guy working at the place just wanted a "project" of sorts...I dunno.   :dunno

I DO know that I'm not complaining, though!  And I DO know that there's no fishiness to my situation. You guys will see soon enough, I suppose!

The only reason I haven't already gotten it myself is because it's about 80 miles away, and I'm a busy guy with a 2-door car.  My old man manages a logistics service, though, and has been gracious enough to offer pick up, the next time they're in that area (which can't freakin' be soon enough for me).

So...sound cable?  Anyone? 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 07:32:38 pm by ArtsNFartsNCrafts »

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2008, 07:32:54 pm »
I believe.

I have an op around here that doesn't put much value on the classics like DK etc, I'm getting prepared to pounce on some of his stash once I have the means!  >:D
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2024, 09:33:37 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2008, 07:36:41 pm »
Go ahead, nay sayers, and have your doubts!  I'll show you soon enough!

So...sound cable?  Anyone? 

Not so much nay sayers as folks who have dealt with ops in the past ... I have never once known an op to allow a $150 deal to stretch to 3 months ... actually, I don't think I know an op who who sell a working DK for $150 -- I'm pretty sure that would constitute a violation of their union rules.

But you may get lucky.  :dunno

RE: Nintendo Sound Cable -- I believe MikesArcade stocks them.

RE: Pinouts -- grab a manual (the op doesn't have one ?)

The wiki is your friend:

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Vendors

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Restoration

Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

ArtsNFartsNCrafts

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2008, 10:14:29 am »
He had just mentioned that it was the sound cable that plugged into the PSU (is that the one they sell on mike's arcade?)...I guess my harness was missing that particular cable!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 10:25:32 am by ArtsNFartsNCrafts »

ArtsNFartsNCrafts

• Offline Offline
Re: Possible DK cab comin' my way?? Fingers crossed! (NOW W/ PICS!!)
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2008, 08:33:07 pm »
$150 bucks...free shipping.   8)

I'll have more, better quality pics when I get back from my honeymoon.

Obviously, the cab was originally a mario bros cab (you can tell by the coin door).  It was then converted to a DK Jr.  Then to a DK for me!  Woo!

Things to fix:

--T-molding (it's a particle board cab, so if anyone can point me in the best direction for t-molding, that'd be great).

--Correct insert coin sticker

--Instruction strip below bezel.

--Joystick still a bit limp (eh, it's a Nintendo).

--Overlay.

--Lock on the coin door (or a new coin door altogether).

--And of course, side-art.
The monitor looks brand-spankin new.  No burn in, and the colors really pop!  And I didn't know this until I plugged it in, but they also installed a new marquee light in it!

....$150.   :D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 08:37:35 pm by ArtsNFartsNCrafts »

Encryptor

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2023, 08:01:18 pm
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2008, 08:48:31 pm »
NICE!

JeepMonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2012, 01:51:24 pm
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2008, 09:33:32 pm »
Great score.
Pins:  Theatre Of Magic, JP The Lost World, Revenge From Mars

Singapura

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2015, 08:43:05 pm
  • I, for one welcome our new insect overlords!
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2008, 10:47:52 pm »
I'll have more, better quality pics when I get back from my honeymoon.

What, you have that in your house and you go on a honeymoon?  ??? What kind of arcade collector are you?  :D
Wish list: Galaga, Pacman, Pooyan, Star Wars cockpit, Gauntlet, Tron

And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three.

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2008, 04:27:38 am »
Looks very nice - lucky man!

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2024, 06:21:28 pm
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2008, 06:37:46 am »
How much was the free shipping?

thatitalian

• Don't worry about the chicken, I feed my friends human all the time...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 10:52:37 am
  • The Revolution Is Coming...
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2008, 07:50:49 am »
I will buy it from you! Shall we say $151 so that you make a tidy profit? :P

However I also expect free shipping! I live in Antarctica btw.....

ArtsNFartsNCrafts

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2008, 03:46:51 pm »
The CPO overlay arrived in the mail today.  Looks to be an original one!  I figured it'd be a repro...I nabbed that for 5 bucks, though.

As long as it lines up properly  :dunno

wmba

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2019, 11:43:09 am
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2008, 04:24:32 pm »
Hey. Nice cab!

For your t-molding:   I have the same cab, and I used a guy who is constantly selling t-molding on ebay.  Just measure the width of the t-molding.  It is either 5/8  or 9/16.    The just go on ebay and search for  "Nintendo t molding"  and you will see that the guy is currently listing both sizes in white, cut to fit one cabinet, for a buy it now price of $11.99.    The guys ebay username is  TWISTEDQUARTER.

So perhaps you can find a better price elsewhere, but I bought from this guy and the t molding was perfect.

Hope this helps.  You will be amazed at how much better the cabinet looks with new t molding!
Games in my collection: Pole Position II (it actually works! Well... most of the time), Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, 280 Zzzap, Pacman, custom 3/4 size Ms. Pacman, Yankee Shuffle Alley (1954), Blue Ribbon pinball.

ArtsNFartsNCrafts

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2008, 05:39:21 pm »
Thanks for the advice dude!

so....are you the dude selling it on ebay?  ;)

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2008, 07:07:20 pm »
So how did you get it there?
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

wmba

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2019, 11:43:09 am
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2008, 10:44:01 pm »
LOL... no.. I am not the dude selling it on ebay.  Just trying to help out...  as I am also restoring a DK cabinet.. and putting new t molding on mine made a huge difference.

Games in my collection: Pole Position II (it actually works! Well... most of the time), Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, 280 Zzzap, Pacman, custom 3/4 size Ms. Pacman, Yankee Shuffle Alley (1954), Blue Ribbon pinball.

ArtsNFartsNCrafts

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2008, 08:18:51 am »
So how did you get it there?

I had a truck driver pick it up in a 24' straight truck.

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2008, 01:54:36 am »
I believed your story. I just thought for sure that when you went to pick it up, he'd have the lights down real low and try to rub up against you or something freaky-deaky. But you sent a truck driver instead. Smart man.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 01:57:47 am by WunderCade »

AnthonyB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2008, 09:42:43 pm
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2008, 01:21:06 am »
I believed your story. I just thought for sure that when you went to pick it up, he'd have the lights down real low and try to rub up against you or something freaky-deaky. But you sent a truck driver instead. Smart man.

lol

On a more serious note.....

video?