Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The ARK project: CPO design ideas - Suggestions?  (Read 7678 times)

somunny

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2018, 02:22:25 pm
  • Is it hot in here?
The ARK project: CPO design ideas - Suggestions?
« on: February 20, 2008, 11:45:53 pm »
I'm trying to come up with some decent ideas for the control panel overlays on my Ark cocktail project.  So far, I have three different directions I've been exploring:

One - Using the travel scenes from the movie.  I found some decent images of the airplanes featured and a nice high res map that I modified slightly.  I was thinking of using the Nepal flight scene for one side and the Cairo scene for the other.  I've also added the compass rose but that's not a final design.

Two - I was also considering doing a movie scene montage for each side.  Below is a very hasty mockup of what I had in mind.

Three - I lifted the new (?) Indiana Jones website logo and vectored the fedora.  While I had initially planned on using the hat as the Player 1/2 start symbol, I've started to lean towards vectoring the entire logo and using that more prominently on the overlay.  I don't have a good image of it ready to post so if you want to see it, check out www.indianajones.com.  Anyway, here's the hat.  I'm happy with the way it turned out and definitely want to incorporate it into the design.

Anyone have any other interesting ideas or concepts for control panel overlays for this project?  Feel free to chime in!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 10:32:41 am by somunny »

waveryder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2011, 04:26:17 am
  • I Troop, therefore I am
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
Re: The ARK project: CPO design ideas - Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 03:36:35 am »
Been following your cabs project thread and I really like the idea. I love these themed cabs, seems to be a lot of people going with what they like now rather than these generic cabs or restorations. Anyway I dont think you should use photos or screen grabs on your cab, they wont look good. I like your initial idea of the map/plane sequence from "raiders". I'd use a nice burnt edge piece of paper for the background and put an old style "Rand McNally" map on their and blend it to the background and highlight all of the points indy has done his thing. Even the one in india that Spielburg screwed up. Mark a flight path and paint in the sea plane and glow along the path. Around the CP elements, Joys, Buttons, etc, Id put burn marks in the map to act as surround halos. and enlarge those sections of the map beneath. Sheesh this is turning into an essay. Just my £0.02.
When pixelated clipart just wont do, just call for Betty

somunny

• Offline Offline
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 06:37:21 pm »
Been following your cabs project thread and I really like the idea. I love these themed cabs, seems to be a lot of people going with what they like now rather than these generic cabs or restorations. Anyway I dont think you should use photos or screen grabs on your cab, they wont look good. I like your initial idea of the map/plane sequence from "raiders". I'd use a nice burnt edge piece of paper for the background and put an old style "Rand McNally" map on their and blend it to the background and highlight all of the points indy has done his thing. Even the one in india that Spielburg screwed up. Mark a flight path and paint in the sea plane and glow along the path. Around the CP elements, Joys, Buttons, etc, Id put burn marks in the map to act as surround halos. and enlarge those sections of the map beneath. Sheesh this is turning into an essay. Just my £0.02.

Thanks, Wave and I think you're right; the screen cap montage sucks.  I'm going to continue to develop the map themed cpo.  I think I'll change the lettering of the country names to something that gives more of an old world feel and add some color to it.  Mainly blue for the water and brown/beige for the land.  This more closely follows what is seen in the movie.

I'm also going to finish vectoring the Indiana Jones dot com logo and post it for opinions when I'm finished.  I should have quite a bit of free time for artwork this weekend.

Zero_Hour

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2022, 12:45:37 pm
  • Enjoying the irony of taking games seriously
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 09:27:15 pm »
Map, FTW! The Compass rose is a no-brainer for the Joystick location.

This project is going to be pretty cool. Can't wait to watch it progress.
"Paradise, is exactly like where you are right now - only much, MUCH better." -Laurie Anderson

somunny

• Offline Offline
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 10:27:31 pm »
Map, FTW! The Compass rose is a no-brainer for the Joystick location.

This project is going to be pretty cool. Can't wait to watch it progress.

You'll be welcome to check it out in person when it's done, ZH.   :)

Zero_Hour

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2022, 12:45:37 pm
  • Enjoying the irony of taking games seriously
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 10:59:18 pm »
I will most definitely take you up on that offer, sir.  :cheers:
"Paradise, is exactly like where you are right now - only much, MUCH better." -Laurie Anderson

dfmaverick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2016, 11:17:27 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 04:28:03 pm »
Officialpix.com does the licensed photos for Indy. They use a map background which is probably similar to what you would like to use. If you can color your map in the similar brown colors, I think yours will capture that Indy feel.

Here's a quick throw-together that I did. Some type of border on the map will give it that map feel I think. (I just threw one on, in a really bad brown color.) I also thought something from the headpiece on the map would be neat, so I quickly traced the writing on one side and placed it at the bottom of the map. It may be something you might want to incorporate. Perhaps the writing for one side on your Nepal map and the writing from the other side on the Egypt map with your red lines.

Just some random ideas.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 04:31:27 pm by dfmaverick »

somunny

• Offline Offline
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 06:47:52 pm »
Officialpix.com does the licensed photos for Indy. They use a map background which is probably similar to what you would like to use. If you can color your map in the similar brown colors, I think yours will capture that Indy feel.

Here's a quick throw-together that I did. Some type of border on the map will give it that map feel I think. (I just threw one on, in a really bad brown color.) I also thought something from the headpiece on the map would be neat, so I quickly traced the writing on one side and placed it at the bottom of the map. It may be something you might want to incorporate. Perhaps the writing for one side on your Nepal map and the writing from the other side on the Egypt map with your red lines.

Just some random ideas.

We definitely think alike as I was intending to do a Nepal side and an Egypt side.  :)  I have the headpiece placed on the Nepal side and was hoping to find a nice hi-res shot of the ark so I could use the winged angels from it for the Egypt side.

This map is perfect!  I've been toiling away trying to give a newer map that vintage feel.  This could definitely save me some time.  Unfotunately, the Official Pix site only shows North and South America.  I've searched for antigue map images but really haven't found anything I liked or could use (low res...).  Any ideas where I might look?

Thanks for the input.  It's much appreciated.   :cheers:

somunny

• Offline Offline
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 11:14:59 pm »
I created a compass rose based on the one from the map that dfmaverick posted.  I think it came out pretty well. 

somunny

• Offline Offline
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 08:54:10 am »
I changed the map text to something I thought would make it look a little more vintage.  I also added color to the ocean.  Here's some progress pics.

I may add a little more detail to the compass rose and I'm working on a border that has a similar feel. 

rotheblog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 10:27:39 pm
    • Rotheblog Arcade
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 10:55:38 am »
Can you post an image of the style of cocktail cabinet, or if you have yours finished, what yours looks like?  I am having a hard time visualizing what you have here without your actual machine.

does it look like the Midway style cocktails?

http://www.arcadedepot.com/IMAGES/OakEmpty/oak7.jpg

It would be good to see a line drawing of your cabinet with the "test" artwork on it with a clipping mask in Illustrator.
Rotheblog.com - Classic arcade games blog

CoinOpSpace.com - A social network for collecting arcade games, a friendly community, and a focus on easy content sharing.

I partner with This Old Game to vectorize your arcade artwork.

No PM's. Email at rothecreations@gmail.c

rotheblog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2019, 10:27:39 pm
    • Rotheblog Arcade
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 11:46:38 am »
Sorry,

Found the topic you started on your cabinet design.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=76255.msg801569#msg801569

Are you sticking with the original design you had at the top of the thread?  It looks like it by the wood template you cut....

Are your control panels on the narrow side on the ends?  Can you rotate that model and get different angled shots to use to compose your control panel?  I haven't used Google's Sketchup before, so I am not familiar with the toolset.
Rotheblog.com - Classic arcade games blog

CoinOpSpace.com - A social network for collecting arcade games, a friendly community, and a focus on easy content sharing.

I partner with This Old Game to vectorize your arcade artwork.

No PM's. Email at rothecreations@gmail.c

somunny

• Offline Offline
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 04:12:24 pm »
This was my first time using Sketchup so the drawing is a basic representation of my idea.  The finished cabinet will be pretty close to it.

The cp will be approximatelt 14" wide, 8" deep and 4" high.  This does not include the "wing" pieces.

A mock up of the control panel is a good idea.  I'll see what I can put together.  I'm not very versed in Illustrator, though.

somunny

• Offline Offline
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 09:45:20 pm »
Another update.  I'm going to be starting on the Egypt side this weekend.

dfmaverick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 12:10:56 am »
You've done great modifying your map. Looks great.
I like the outline of the ocean with the land masses.

Couple of suggestions. I don't know how close you are trying to get to the Indy era, if at all, but if you are, then, if possible, you may want to make the following changes to pre-WWII countries.

To make India:
1. Remove Pakistan name and the border with India.
2. Remove Bangladesh name and its borders with India.
3. Remove Burma name and its borders with India.
4. Remove Sri Lanka name.

Other:
1. Add Tibet name somewhere above Nepal
2. Remove Cambodia and Laos and combine with Viet Nam to create French Indo China

somunny

• Offline Offline
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 12:21:10 am »
df,

This is a great help as I would like the map to be as authentic as possible.  By any chance, would you have a good reference site for older maps?  I'll most likely need help with the Middle-East, as well.

Thanks for the info.   :cheers:

dfmaverick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 01:47:59 am »
This map at wikipedia shows loyalties during WWII.

It doesn't list the names, but does show the borders at that time which you can modify your middleeast map to match. (As you see, Burma is listed as independent from India on the map, but in 1936(Raiders) it wasn't...not until 1937.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c0/WWII.png

Here's a named map of the middle east in 1936.

http://image03.webshots.com/3/9/0/25/1990025IRXcGqKunQ_fs.jpg

I think on Raiders, you only see listed:

Afghanistan
Iran
Iraq
Oman
Saudi
Syria
Jordan
Palestine
Egypt

With your stops from Nepal at Karachi, Baghdad, Cairo.

Woohoo History!

"I'll take historical world geography for $100, Alex."

Ritalin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 07, 2015, 12:25:39 am
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 07:12:42 am »
Personally, if this is an Indy ark cabinet, I would go even more vintage with a sepia tone overlay from Photoshop.
Then add a crackle leather texture filter player.

I've attached a map with the color palette I would go with. (Just my opinion)
I don't like the idea of adding drop shadows to the text.

You could even do a faux page curl in one of the unused corners to really give a torn map feel.

somunny

• Offline Offline
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 08:12:08 am »
Thanks for the suggestions Ritalin.  I'm basing the look of the map on the travel scenes from the movie, not an actual map so I'm not sure if trying to make it look like an actual, ancient map is the right way to go.

Ritalin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 06:00:20 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions Ritalin.  I'm basing the look of the map on the travel scenes from the movie, not an actual map so I'm not sure if trying to make it look like an actual, ancient map is the right way to go.

I totally know what you mean I only included that map for the color tones.
I am just really impressed with the way paramount created the Indy DVD box set. The packaging fits nicely to make it look like crackled leather bound books with that dusty Indy reddish/brown look.

Attached is a sample compass from the Indy DVD packaging which probably gives a better (rough) idea of what I'm talking about. If you need any help, I'll be happy to assist you with any graphics help, etc.

I just personally love that look. :D

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2013, 03:12:33 am
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 11:08:22 pm »
is this kinda what your goin for ritalin? An Idea I got while bored on my comp:-)

somunny

• Offline Offline
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 12:19:52 am »
That's nice looking.  But why an 'O' instead of an 'E' on the compass?

Ritalin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 12:43:40 am »
is this kinda what your goin for ritalin? An Idea I got while bored on my comp:-)

Yeah, that's exactly the tone/color scheme I was talking about!

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 01:40:10 am »
That's nice looking.  But why an 'O' instead of an 'E' on the compass?

Its just a stock photo I found, If you liked it I could change the o. Probably cause of some foreign language uses an o for east :dunno hehhe

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 02:57:38 am »
K, got another idea on the way for the fun of it. This file is a monstor, almost 800mb at full print rez, but heck.... So without further ado (once photoshop finishes saving) my next idea.

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 03:01:16 am »
k, here it is. The sizing may be all wrong, I didn't have a template for happ button sizes so I just sized it to what looked "right" to me. I know you had fewer on your pannel, but Im a 6 button freak. Wadda ya think?

Ritalin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 03:11:34 am »
That's very cool and along the lines of what I was shooting for.
If anyone has a link to the source file, I'd love to play around with some ideas to see if somunny likes them.

Just let me know and I'll try some stuff out.

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 03:21:32 am »
I can't hotlink the files, they take a user pass to see the images. Ill pm you the site tho.

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 03:25:23 am »
k, My last idea for ya. I couldn't do as much, due to only having one layer, but heck here ya go:)

somunny

• Offline Offline
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 10:37:27 am »
k, here it is. The sizing may be all wrong, I didn't have a template for happ button sizes so I just sized it to what looked "right" to me. I know you had fewer on your pannel, but Im a 6 button freak. Wadda ya think?

I like what you've done with the buttons here.  Mine will only have three buttons, FWIW.

Ritalin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 04:40:31 pm »

That will really look great with the joystick in the center of the compass.
Super cool.

Ritalin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 08:33:56 pm »
Using the same/similar compass as uprightbass360, I was thinking of something maybe like this:

This would carry over the plane's path idea with the red lines, and if you added red buttons to this it would look SWEET. The joystick would be in the center of the compass. The country names give the red line an added effect of being the flight path, and you can change the country names to anything you wish.

Just to note, the background image was some stock image that is only 72dpi, so depending on the final size of the layout, I may need to use as alternate background image or re-create it completely.

As for the Raiders logo, I just created that from scratch using a free Raiders font found online. The "R" of that font isn't exact. Thus, if you have the actual Raiders (with gradient) in a high resolution format, let me know and I can replace it.

Let me know what you think, cheers!

-Ritalin

somunny

• Offline Offline
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 04:37:58 pm »
Thanks Rit.

I like the idea of using a lighted button as a destination marker, but I think if I were going to do it, I would just use one for the Nepal destination.  Also, I like the idea of the map in the background.  The compass rose is nice>  I spent so much time making up mine, though!  Curse you, stock images!   :banghead:

Ritalin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 12:45:12 am »
Thanks Rit.

I like the idea of using a lighted button as a destination marker, but I think if I were going to do it, I would just use one for the Nepal destination.  Also, I like the idea of the map in the background.  The compass rose is nice>  I spent so much time making up mine, though!  Curse you, stock images!   :banghead:
No problem, somunny.

It's all good, these are just works in progress. I'll try to get a good map-based image like uprightbass360 was able to use and I'll play around with some more ideas when I have time. Love this cab idea.

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 04:27:32 pm »
K, I have some ideas I've been playing with for side art. I found some photos of the ark in a book, and I'm reproducing them. Stay tuned for side art ;D

Ritalin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 06:33:25 pm »
K, I have some ideas I've been playing with for side art. I found some photos of the ark in a book, and I'm reproducing them. Stay tuned for side art ;D
Sounds very cool! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2008, 02:44:13 am »
Using the same/similar compass as uprightbass360, I was thinking of something maybe like this:

This would carry over the plane's path idea with the red lines, and if you added red buttons to this it would look SWEET. The joystick would be in the center of the compass. The country names give the red line an added effect of being the flight path, and you can change the country names to anything you wish.

Just to note, the background image was some stock image that is only 72dpi, so depending on the final size of the layout, I may need to use as alternate background image or re-create it completely.

As for the Raiders logo, I just created that from scratch using a free Raiders font found online. The "R" of that font isn't exact. Thus, if you have the actual Raiders (with gradient) in a high resolution format, let me know and I can replace it.

Let me know what you think, cheers!

-Ritalin

I just dug through my dvds and scanned the insert for raiders at 1200dpi for ya. Link is via yousendit, enjoy. http://download.yousendit.com/4E4FDDBA223B22F0

Ritalin

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2008, 04:36:03 am »
Thanks, uprightbass360!

As somunny mentioned, there's some great wallpaper art that can be downloaded at http://www.indianajones.com so I kept the same layout just for fun but inserted some true indy art.

How's something like this, somunny?

I isolated the true Raiders logo from the wallpapers.

if you don't like the buttons with the red lines, or anything else etc., just let me know how you'd like me to edit it up.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 04:37:37 am by Ritalin »

BASS!

• Just have fun.
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 04:52:27 am »
I like that a lot! All I have to say now, is with indy and the compass on the same side the layout looks a little too busy. I would go one or the other. Both elements are very detailed and requiring you to focus. I would try maybe a less detailed compass in very basic colors overlayed on to the background. Or maybe even have indy overlay on the background, over the compass. That way you can still see the compass, but it is slightly hidden by indy. Just a suggestion. Otherwise this is comming along quite well.

I love the headpiece on the right, and Im lovin the really clean map for the bg. At this point, you might wanna try a layout without the lines alltogether. Or do a plane and subtract an element from the design to compensate.
Overall, Good work!!!
:-)

somunny

• Offline Offline
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2008, 09:48:40 am »
Heading off to work so I'm a bit rushed.  Just a couple of things:

The background design looks great.
I'm finding that the lines distract from the rest of the cp a little too much. 
I'm not planning on having the "Raiders" logo on the cp's.  I was thinking more along the lines of "Player 1", "Player 2" in the Raiders font.[/li][/list]

Great ideas.  Thanks for the input, guys.  :cheers:

camsauce

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2015, 06:39:26 pm
    • Spencer*Arcade
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2008, 12:22:06 am »
I messed around with an Indy theme for my cab but ultimately scrapped it.  While I didn't get to the CPO design, I did do some work on a mamewah frontend theme that might give you some ideas for this project.  I like where you're headed, can't wait to see it all done up.

somunny

• Offline Offline
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2008, 12:33:27 am »
Ah, very nice!  I'm not sure whether I'll be using Mamewah or Mala this time around (I've been a Mamewah guy up to this point).  The good news is that I'll only need to put together one background as this cab will only be playing MAME.

Thanks for posting that.  Your cabinet is great looking.  I guess we can only imagine what the Indy inspired version would have looked like...  :)

thatitalian

• Don't worry about the chicken, I feed my friends human all the time...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 10:52:37 am
  • The Revolution Is Coming...
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2008, 11:49:05 am »
Thanks, uprightbass360!

As somunny mentioned, there's some great wallpaper art that can be downloaded at http://www.indianajones.com so I kept the same layout just for fun but inserted some true indy art.

How's something like this, somunny?

I isolated the true Raiders logo from the wallpapers.

if you don't like the buttons with the red lines, or anything else etc., just let me know how you'd like me to edit it up.

Cheers.

Holy Moly! That looks really awesome! I think go with the idea of having player 1, 2 etc in the indie fonts and make the red lines thinner. But the whole look is pretty damn good!

dfmaverick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2008, 06:12:00 pm »
This is the art that you need hanging above it.

Color scheme looks like it will match great with the gold.

http://shop.indianajones.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=1220082;category_id=1208676;pcid1=;pcid2=

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2008, 05:50:02 am »
I think I know what you are doing dustwasher-wise (;)) but if not have you thought about having some washers made to look like the staff headpiece that they use to find the Well of Souls?

somunny

• Offline Offline
  • Is it hot in here?
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2008, 09:59:03 am »
I think I know what you are doing dustwasher-wise (;)) but if not have you thought about having some washers made to look like the staff headpiece that they use to find the Well of Souls?

That's a great idea Franco.  I think the other option you were referring to will create a very slick look in the meantime, though  :) 

I would think the way to go would be to mold something out of Sculpy, cast it in resin and paint it.  Alas, I am no sculptor (that's putting it mildly).
This is the art that you need hanging above it.

Color scheme looks like it will match great with the gold.

http://shop.indianajones.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=1220082;category_id=1208676;pcid1=;pcid2=

That's a great looking print.  I had initially contacted a fairly well-known Indy fan/artist (whose work is also for sale on the site) to do the artwork on the project and found that his rates were pretty reasonable.