Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Robotron Control Panel Mame  (Read 4968 times)

dgame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 06:00:54 pm
  • I am no Jedi
Robotron Control Panel Mame
« on: April 23, 2008, 02:53:45 pm »
After reading one too many ‘Robotron is best on original controls’ posts I got this:

The plan is to set it up as a stand alone controller.

I was trying to get the 8 discrete buttons back on my Ultrastik 360 to use as an interface for this project. Since I am unable to flash my U360 back to the 2.3 firmware I went ahead and ordered an APAC to interface the Robotron panel with my PC, it should be here any day.

The move stick is a genuine Wico, but what is the fire stick?

MOVE:

FIRE:

Can anyone ID this stick? Is it any good for Robotron?

Thanks

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Re: Robotron Control Panel Mame
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 08:30:20 pm »
Damn my post got deleted.

Anyway they might be 4 way wicos configured to be 8 way.

Are you going to keep them or just use the handles and panel for the 360s?
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 12:30:07 pm »
I am going to interface the sticks and buttons with an A-PAC. It will be a standalone Robotron control panel. I am going to replace the fire stick with a real Wico.

The 360 is for all the regular games.
This is for Robotron / Crazy climber and I have another project that will use two CH Flightstick Pro's for dual stick / multi button Tank type games like Assault and Vindicators:

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 01:06:41 pm »
Those flight sticks look awesome.  Pm sent about the fire stick.
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 01:41:42 pm »
The gray one appears to be the "chinese knock-off" of a Wico. (Just guessing from the screwed-on leaf switches)

I have further bad news for you: The shafts appear to be the standard length ones used on many games other than Robotron. Robotron used longer joystick handles/shafts.
NO MORE!!

ArtMAME

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2020, 12:59:17 pm
  • Hey where the ARCADE MACHINES at???
    • Art's Arcade Lab
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 03:59:02 pm »
Robotron Wicos use Red balltops with 4" shaft lenths.  Your shafts appear to be the 3.5".  You can get NOS 4" shafts on Ebay right now but only the pink or light blue ones. 

Also, you said you are getting an APAC?  Don't you mean an IPAC?  An APAC is for analog sticks, and the Wico balltops are actually 8-ways and you need an IPAC or a KeyWiz.
"Klaatu. .. Verada. ...... Necktie...Nectar...Nickel..."

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 04:44:24 pm »
Also, you said you are getting an APAC?  Don't you mean an IPAC?  An APAC is for analog sticks, and the Wico balltops are actually 8-ways and you need an IPAC or a KeyWiz.

I thought the same thing when I read the first post, but Andy added another APAC to the lineup that handles 32 buttons and 4 pots.

http://www.ultimarc.com/a-pac1.html

Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 07:40:37 pm »
Robotron Wicos use Red balltops with 4" shaft lenths.  Your shafts appear to be the 3.5".  You can get NOS 4" shafts on Ebay right now but only the pink or light blue ones. 

Thanks for the information. Can the Wico balltops be removed? If not I can get the correct longer shafts with the wrong color balltops and have the tops painted red.

As CheffoJeffo mentioned above I am using the version 1 APAC. I have a thing for analog controls so I will definitely be using that feature down the line. For now it will be used to get this Robotron thing up and running.

ArtMAME

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2020, 12:59:17 pm
  • Hey where the ARCADE MACHINES at???
    • Art's Arcade Lab
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 11:42:04 am »
The Wico balltops cannot be removed unless you take a hacksaw to them.

Also, if the APAC is infact a gamepad emulator, it may not have actual keyboard key press functionality.  I ran into that when I hooked up a USB KeyWiz from GGG.  It did not detect any actual keyboard key presses.  I opened up the game controllers icon from the Windows control panel and was able to detect game pad button presses.

That may be important to you if you plan to use any admin buttons on your CP or in you cabinet.  You may need an additional PS/2 (keyboard emulator) to get ESC, TAB, ENTER, etc.

Or you could just keep a keyboard inside the cabinet for admin or use a wireless keyboard outside the cabinet.
"Klaatu. .. Verada. ...... Necktie...Nectar...Nickel..."

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 06:57:16 pm »
I am going to interface the sticks and buttons with an A-PAC. It will be a standalone Robotron control panel. I am going to replace the fire stick with a real Wico.

This is for Robotron / Crazy climber and I have another project that will use two CH Flightstick Pro's for dual stick / multi button Tank type games like Assault and Vindicators:

I'm a Robofanatic and use 2 U360's that can easily double and triple your game play options. I would consider myself an expert player who is very picky about maneuverability when it comes to Robotron. Actually especially when it comes to Robotron. I love the U360's especially for Robotron and mutant storm. I personally think they kick tail. I tried going down the path of building my own, wasted money for nothing and accidentally sawed deeply into my palm in the process. Not worth it at all.
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 10:43:31 am »

I'm a Robofanatic and use 2 U360's that can easily double and triple your game play options. I would consider myself an expert player who is very picky about maneuverability when it comes to Robotron. Actually especially when it comes to Robotron. I love the U360's especially for Robotron and mutant storm. I personally think they kick tail. I tried going down the path of building my own, wasted money for nothing and accidentally sawed deeply into my palm in the process. Not worth it at all.

No doubt that two U360s would rock in Robotron, but my goal is to duplicate the original controls as best I can. I have the control panel, interface, and I am getting the longer sticks. I want it to feel just like the arcade machine.

The two Flight sticks are not for Robotron, but for tank styled games that use two sticks and multiple triggers.

Thanks for the advice and my unannounced vaporware custom cabinet will definitely feature multiple U360s.

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 08:10:27 pm »

I've decided to go this route with my Smash TV MAME.

Do you use  restrictors on your 2 U360s for Robotron?

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 01:07:26 pm »
Sorry for the late... ok very late reply. I'm using the circular restrictor plates for both and it plays buttery smooth on Smash TV, Robotron and Mutant Storm.

You should have PM'ed me a shot in the head to wake me up.  ;)
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy