Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Ghost in the Machine (Updated with more Pics)  (Read 31634 times)

ABArcade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 02, 2008, 01:37:36 am
Re: The Ghost in the Machine (Updated with more Pics)
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2008, 11:26:10 am »
Very nice build!  :applaud: :notworthy:
I’m would like to understand how you did the marquee.   Is the lightning etched into the plexi?  Are you cycling the lights randomly to get it look like it is flashing?  I’m trying to get a lightning effect so this is of great interest to me. I read your document but it didn't have much detail on the marquee.

weisshaupt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 05:54:45 pm
    • The Ghost in the Machine Project Thread
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2008, 02:10:18 pm »
Very nice build!  :applaud: :notworthy:
I’m would like to understand how you did the marquee.   Is the lightning etched into the plexi?  Are you cycling the lights randomly to get it look like it is flashing?  I’m trying to get a lightning effect so this is of great interest to me. I read your document but it didn't have much detail on the marquee.

The Marquee is a sandwich of Luminglas and clear Etched PLexi sidelit with CCFLs.  The lightning effect is provided via the Luminglass.. It flickers all by itself- its basically a 2 dimensional plasma ball.

http://www.strattman.com/products/

Wayne Strattman holds the patent on the stuff- That sheet of it cost around $300 without shipping, so the stuff ins't cheap. But I think its way cool.. 

The Words are laser etched on a sheet of plexi glass with a couple white CCFLs  shining through the polished sides of the plexi-- really I should have made the bezel smaller and lit from the top and bottom. Live and learn....  Yoiu can of course light the words in any color of comination of colrs you want. FOr a while I was planning on Blue and Green,  then just green and eventually when with the white. Just liked it the best..

“A government ... cannot have the right of altering itself. If it had, it would be arbitrary. It might make itself what it pleased; and wherever such a right is set up, it shews there is no constitution” - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man

weisshaupt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 05:54:45 pm
    • The Ghost in the Machine Project Thread
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2008, 07:52:12 pm »
Cool project.  Curious to know how the velcro'ed modules are holding up under use.

Love the old school etchings too.  Very, very nice.

~telengard

The Velcro is holding up well. The Foam Pads I glued on as "wrist rests" are being pulled off slowly but surely.. I need to find a better adhesive ( I uesd a 3M all purpose adhesive) Of course it would also help if the kids didn't play in a splits position where on leg is up on the CP.....
“A government ... cannot have the right of altering itself. If it had, it would be arbitrary. It might make itself what it pleased; and wherever such a right is set up, it shews there is no constitution” - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man