Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade Mania...another Knievel inspired cab  (Read 2436 times)

c0ff33g33k

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2008, 06:39:55 pm
Arcade Mania...another Knievel inspired cab
« on: May 29, 2008, 09:00:33 pm »
Greetings...

Thought it about time I finally announce my project....Arcade Mania. After much delay and a bit of an attempt nearly 18 months ago, I have managed to scrape up some time and get permission from the boss to use half of the garage at home for a couple of months (well that is what I said anyway). Current count 4 mths+. 

Ok....before you all sigh and say not another Neon Mame rip off, I just want to justify my decision. Much reseach and discussion went into the decision of what style cab to make. The ultimate deciding factors were functionality, woodworking requirements (newb), styling and **the clincher** whether this thing is going to be allowed in the house. The Neon Mame design has all the hallmarks of an original cab but also has a form factor that is very balanced and was suitable for what I wanted to achieve and ultimately has been proven time and time again....oh and I like it too. There it is, plain and simple. Just wanted to knock that on the head early.

Most importantly, wanted to say a big thanks to all contributors, especially Knievel, blah247 and Mountain in this instance. Without your efforts there is no way I could have got this off the ground. Also need to mention John St. Clair. Without the ability to find the answers to some puzzling questions deep from within his book, there is no way I think I would have attempted this. So blanket thanks again.

Moving on....I have decided on a red theme for my cabinet. Just fits with the decor of my house and pool table etc. Would have ultimately liked to do a purple cap but product was too hard to find.

At this point I am finalising the raw cab and control panel. Have made many mistakes as I have worked through and are now working on finalising my 2nd CP. 1st one was for learning....well that's how it ended up. Guess the only comment I can say here is don't get discouraged if something doesn't work out how you want it first time. I got pretty annoyed but then kept reminding myself of the end product.

Well here are some pics so far. I will try to add more as freq as possible, but here is a taste. As you will notice I have tried to duplicate the Neon Mame cabinet in most ways, apart from a few minor design changes and  customised artwork. Oh BTW...just got my artwork back from Mamemarquees and it is tops. Great work Scott.....very impressed. Highly recommended.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

C0ff33g33k
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 09:18:39 pm by c0ff33g33k »

thatitalian

• Don't worry about the chicken, I feed my friends human all the time...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 10:52:37 am
  • The Revolution Is Coming...
Re: Arcade Mania...another Knievel inspired cab
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 07:59:28 am »
Like it!

Although few suggestions:

Clean up the CP and bit by making the button halos stand out more, maybe a neon style glow?

A white stroke on the marquee text may make it stand out more!

Like the colours and the idea!

Neverending Project

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2015, 10:07:43 pm
    • Arcade Fixer
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 12:27:25 pm »
Nice looking cabinet so far! I like the lines...

I think the CP and marquee look good. No need to increase the neon IMO.

c0ff33g33k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2008, 06:39:55 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 12:00:02 am »
Thnx for the feedback guys....

Unfortunately I am committed to my artwork now as I have recently had it printed. Looks actually better in real life but that being said, I will have a bit of a play and see what effect your suggestions have on the final result. I will try and take a few snaps of the actual artwork and post so you can see what the finished item looks like.

Am learning the finer points of priming now.....more pics to follow soon.

Cheers,

C0ff33g33k