Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rolling Rock cab  (Read 3314 times)

DP Louie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2022, 09:30:50 pm
  • Jeep! Jeep!
Rolling Rock cab
« on: October 20, 2007, 01:31:40 pm »
Hola!  This is my first post.  I've been lurking and reading this forum for a few weeks now, and all I can say is WOW.  Most of the cabs on here are awesome.  I've been meaning to build a cab for over a year now, but it's just recently that I really started researching everything.  I bought a used x-arcade dual stick off of ebay a couple of months ago with the intention of just using it with mame and other emulators, but now I've decided to build the whole shebang, including a control panel.  Nothing wrong with the x-arcade, I just decided I wanted a trackball and a dedicated 4 way.  Anyway...  I collect Rolling Rock (beer) items (glasses, posters, etc.) and the room that the cab will go in is where I have this collection displayed, so I decided to do a Rolling Rock themed cab.  The design is based on Lusids plans, with some changes that I made to some of the lines and dimensions.  I downsized the cab a little because I'm using a 19" monitor and I wanted it to look proportional.  I should have taken more pics during construction, but here are a few.  I'm still working on the control panel, and I should be receiving my marquee and cp overlay from Mame Marquees soon.  The marquee in the pic is just a test one that I've printed on regular paper.  As far as the finish, the whole cab will have a green color scheme, hence the green t molding, etc.  I used a dark green color of fleck stone paint for the sides of the cab, and a textured black for the center.  I'll post more pics and specs when I get the cp done and the marquee installed.  Still working on a custom layout for Mala as well.  I could never have done it without all the inspiration from the great work showcased on this forum.  Let me know what you think, suggestions welcome!  Thanks,

Greg Williams

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:39:33 am
Re: Rolling Rock cab
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 01:41:43 pm »
Wow - looks great.  I like the theme too - you better put Tapper on there!  Hmmm... I wonder if you could skin it for Rolling Rock?   :cheers:

Knievel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2016, 10:29:09 pm
  • Who's up for a game of Stunt Cycle??
    • Knievel Kustoms
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 05:36:27 pm »

Nice cabinet, good scale and a cool curve. :cheers:

I love that beer, don't know if it's the bottles or what...looks like Pac Man does too. ;)

DP Louie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2022, 09:30:50 pm
  • Jeep! Jeep!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 10:40:57 pm »
Thanks for the great compliments, especially Knievel  :notworthy:.  And yes, it will have Tapper - that's a great idea to skin it with Rolling Rock, although I think that's far beyond my meager programming skills!  I am currently working on the cp, should be mostly done this week.  I'll try to post some pics soon.  In the meantime, here is a better pic of my marquee.  As Knievel pointed out, Pac man likes his suds  ;D

Greg Williams

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 10:55:42 pm »
Nice marquee.  The only thing I would change is the MAME title.  I think that if people know what MAME is then they know that's what's running the cab, if they don't know either it'll mean nothing to them to see it on the marquee, or they'll ask how you did it with or without it on the marquee.

The textured look of the marquee, the custom Pac-Man addition and the way the logo's been changed to include "Arcade" are all really cool.

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 01:05:24 am
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 11:17:10 pm »
Nicely done... its good to see some more green-themed cabinets coming out as blue & red have been done. Well done on the customizations too.

I'm amazed how many projects are based on the LuSiD plans (my upright was too by the way)... I reckon its time someone else developed an equally easy set of plans so that we have some more variety out there!

That said, you've stepped outside the plans enough to give it some curves and make it less 'generic LuSiD', so well done! Are you planning any artwork for the control panel?

The only problem I have, is that I'm currently building a green-themed bartop and had just considered painting the side panels a darker green... now its going to look like I can't think of any ideas of my own, lol.  ;D

unclet

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 07:34:43 pm
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 09:53:24 am »
Good work ..... however, I would also recommend removing the "Mame" name from the marquee and possibly replacing it with the top half of chilled beer mug overflowing a bit with bubbles down the side.   Just show about 1-1/2" of the top part of the mug with the beer, ice on the side of the mug and some bubbles sliding down the edge. 

If you must mention "mame" somewhere, then I would recommend putting it on the label of the beer bottle.  Instead of the "Arcade" text by itself, you could add "Mame Arcade" with the word "Mame" on top of the word "Arcade" perhaps.

just some ideas of course ......  nice cabinet though.   I too like the curves of it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 09:59:14 am by unclet »

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:39:33 am
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 10:03:40 am »
I'll also vote to remove the "MAME" in the marquee.  I don't think you need it.  No one will really know what it means anyway.   :cheers:

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 10:16:04 am »
I used fleck stone paint on my first cab.  Worked out great.  To keep it all in place and smooth it down a bit I put on a couple of coats of clear coat.

Nice choice on the color as well.  I'm on my second green cab right now.

Look'n good.

Jetson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 03:12:19 pm
  • Anger is our real enemy
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 10:58:42 am »
Nice Cab!!!  I'm thinking a kegerator and a tapper on the side would add tremendously to the "Gaming Experience"   :cheers:

mpm32

• Cheesecake Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 09:25:14 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 04:21:42 pm »
Hey wait, mine's a Rolling Rock cab. Oh wait, I drink Rolling Rock while playing my cab.