Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: LCD Marquee Project: AKA "How to put even more money into an old Defender cab"  (Read 91187 times)

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
How cool would that be?  Have the sideart and cpo change based on what game you are playing...  *drool*  :burgerking:
But did you think about all the work needed to crop/rework all the sideart and cpo overlays of the games to fit your own cabinet?  :dizzy:

It would be worth it!   :afro:

DirtnSnowRyder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2011, 02:15:12 pm
Re: LCD Marquee Project: AKA "How to put even more money into an old Defender cab"
« Reply #161 on: September 14, 2010, 08:44:28 pm »
I know this is an older thread but i just need to get this off my chest...

I haaaaaaate you guys! Especially people like Randy T! ;)
This arcade thing requires Time, Money and Patience. And those things are in short supply for me these days. So just when I think I've got my cabinet figured out someone goes and figures out how to make it even better. Uuuugghhh!
I'll say one thing for sure is that I have had to compromise a lot with my wife to have one in my home. So if i tell her, Honey just one more $200 LCD. Oh and you wont be able to park in the garage for about a month. (That's how long it will take me to finish something like that).
You people! Have you no mercy!

Anyway enough of that.

RandyT - Is the cab still look the same as in the pics/video? Anything new you doing that I will have to sell blood/collect cans/pawn household items to get? Seriously, nice job. As its been said previously, you have elevated this crazy "sport" to new heights. Curses to you incredibly imaginative, and talented people!
Sorry, I may have missed it but i believe you said you wrote an app to display the marquee. Is that publicly available and/or for sale? I'm not ready for it yet but it would help me decide if i wanted to piss off my wife and forgo a new snowboard this winter. Or if i had to write my own stuff. Heaven forbid.

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
Re: LCD Marquee Project: AKA "How to put even more money into an old Defender cab"
« Reply #162 on: September 14, 2010, 09:04:23 pm »
I'm also wondering how to display the marquees. Does MAME or one of the Launcher has the ability to send the ROM file name via a serial port? That's the minimum I would need for my mini-MVS cabinet. The AVR would receive the ROM filename via serial and fetch/display the appropriate image stored in external flash memory.

shilmover

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2018, 12:36:59 am
« Reply #163 on: September 17, 2010, 12:32:00 pm »
Randy,

This is great...  I thought of doing something like this a couple of years ago, but the cost was prohibitive...

Now I know my next project (now that the Hyper Pinball is nearly done).

:)
My projects...

Finished:  Stargate (only 'cause I got it that way)
In progress:  Tron, 48-in-1 for School Auction, DKJr (currently a 60-in-1), Millipede, MAME System

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
Thinking about the details of this project....why not treat the screen like a pinball backglass? Two configurations that come to mind:

1. It could display your front end interface, minus the game list, which would appear on the main screen.

2. The top screen would display your FE; the main screen would display  game videos for the game highlighted on the top screen.
-Banned-

MKFan4Life

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2023, 08:18:00 am
  • My arcade machines...
Now the top of my Gauntlet Legends cab is screaming at me "Mod me!  Mod me!"  Lol!  Looks like it might accept a 24" widescreen LCD panel... hehe.  When not displaying custom marquee images, it could save space in my office as a display for the satellite receiver.

ericitaquera

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2020, 07:38:45 pm
Thank you RandyT for the inspiration.

Do you still have the Led Display Board emulator from the previous post? Can you send me? If not, can you point me other one?

Thanks again!

Mister Hat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2013, 10:05:59 pm
Hey, nice job ericitaquera! Also, thanks for bumping the topic, I would've felt bad if I did  ;).

Earlier in the topic I saw someone mention OLED as an alternative. Here's a video I found to prove their point:

You can see it was a pretty crude job, but it does look possible!

ericitaquera

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2020, 07:38:45 pm
Tnx, Mr Hat.

I need just a piece of software to populate de upper half of the top screen.

By now it´s looking just like a "big tv in top of the cab" but I´m gonna add some frames in order to look more like a marquee , like Randy did (since my wife forgive me for the mess I did here in the living room for two weeks in a row I´ll start to work =P).

Regards!

evh347

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2022, 04:58:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Tnx, Mr Hat.

I need just a piece of software to populate de upper half of the top screen.

By now it´s looking just like a "big tv in top of the cab" but I´m gonna add some frames in order to look more like a marquee , like Randy did (since my wife forgive me for the mess I did here in the living room for two weeks in a row I´ll start to work =P).

Regards!

What software are you using to populate the marquee?

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2023, 01:46:12 pm
  • Can u guess what game this image is from?
Okay, first a disclaimer. This isn't spam. I don't work for these guys. I swear I will not profit financially by aiming people at this link (but if I have found what many of us are looking for, you are free to heap praise upon me (and scorn if I have not)). But I found this, and I'm waiting for a response from them to find out what they charge: http://www.taiwantrade.com.tw/litemax/products-list/en_US/118711/Spanpixel__Resizing_LCD_innovative_ultra-wide%2C_sun
"Godzilla is a warning. A warning to each and every one of us. When mankind falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born."
Professor Hayashida

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
Okay, first a disclaimer. This isn't spam. I don't work for these guys. I swear I will not profit financially by aiming people at this link (but if I have found what many of us are looking for, you are free to heap praise upon me (and scorn if I have not)). But I found this, and I'm waiting for a response from them to find out what they charge: http://www.taiwantrade.com.tw/litemax/products-list/en_US/118711/Spanpixel__Resizing_LCD_innovative_ultra-wide%2C_sun

I wrote to similar companies. You really, really won't like the price they're asking.  :dizzy:

synonym9

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2015, 09:44:32 pm

Is it true that GroovyMame cannot used with an LCD-Marquee???

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
I wrote to similar companies. You really, really won't like the price they're asking.  :dizzy:

Sorry, I've meant to get back to this for ages, but...if u knew what's been going on you'd understand, believe me.

Just wanted to say, boy, were u right! There were 2 models that looked like what I wanted. 1 would have been about $1000, the other about $1200.
"Godzilla is a warning. A warning to each and every one of us. When mankind falls into conflict with nature, monsters are born."
Professor Hayashida

Ipolyfun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2013, 10:25:41 pm
Here is my attempt at using a marquee display with mame. I actually recompiled the code to provide some automatic marquee display in the render layout code. http://www.xevious.site50.net/The%20Bartop%20Arcade%20Machine.html

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
Here is my attempt at using a marquee display with mame. I actually recompiled the code to provide some automatic marquee display in the render layout code.

Did you attempt to disassemble the mirror LCD to see if it would be possible to remove the mirror? Are you using composite video?

Ipolyfun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2013, 10:25:41 pm
Did you attempt to disassemble the mirror LCD to see if it would be possible to remove the mirror? Are you using composite video?

No I did not try and disassemble it other than removing the spring loaded mounting brackets on the back. It has two composite video inputs. There really isn't a mirror with the unit, it works like a normal video monitor and is not more reflective than a normal screen. The image is squished though.

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
No I did not try and disassemble it other than removing the spring loaded mounting brackets on the back. It has two composite video inputs. There really isn't a mirror with the unit, it works like a normal video monitor and is not more reflective than a normal screen. The image is squished though.

I asked because in the first photo and last two photos, there is so much reflection that it looks like a mirror.

lcmgadgets

• Offline Offline
If I wanted to build something that size, I'd definitely want what you've done! I think it looks awesome!
Professor Hayashida