Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: SW Upright from scratch  (Read 2542 times)

Uncle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2011, 05:03:28 pm
SW Upright from scratch
« on: May 18, 2009, 12:44:12 pm »
Hello all,

Im new around these parts and I've just started to build my first cab.  It will house mame and another game Im writing.  I haven't attempted making a cab before but so far Im really enjoying the challenge.  I was inspired by quite a few cabs I have seen here.  Here's were I am at...

and you can follow my progress at...

http://urbaninteractive.wordpress.com

Cheers,

Unc

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: SW Upright from scratch
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 12:59:26 pm »

Interesting, but you're not going to get many people to follow you to another website.  If you want input from folks here you have to update folks here.

Uncle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 01:05:01 pm »

Interesting, but you're not going to get many people to follow you to another website.  If you want input from folks here you have to update folks here.

Yeah sorry I will update here as well.  I just thought I would mention my blog because it had some other stuff regarding this project that somebody might be interested in. 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 01:07:26 pm »

Okay, first question... did you use only those L brackets on the base or is it glued too?  From the pic it looks like there is a gap inside the base on the right side.  If it's not glued those L brackets are not going to hold a cabinet this size together unless you never move it.

Uncle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 01:15:19 pm »
Hi Chad,  I didn't glue the sides on.  There are more L brackets on the underside as well  which keep the sides in place.  It's very rigid when the front panel is in place. 

With your experience what do you suggest?  Should I be gluing the sides on, or perhaps running a baton along the edge, glue those and then screw the sides to those?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 01:19:15 pm »

Most people use the glue/screw method or the wood corner bracket/glue method.  MDF is very very glue friendly - once you glue it that will be stronger than anything you could do with screws.  Either way the search can turn up 100 examples of each.  When you get that 3/4" MDF cab together and put a monitor in there it's going to be very heavy.  I fear those wood screws aren't going to hold well enough for you to move it without them coming loose.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:39:33 am
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 02:29:15 pm »
I agree with Chad.  You should really reinforce those joints with glue - it makes a very strong bond in MDF.  Screws can tear out over time.  Looks like you are off to a great start - where are you going to get the Star Wars bezel?   :cheers:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 02:41:05 pm »

Considering those are probably 1/2" screws they'll tear out over short time, too, unless there are 20 of them.  MDF isn't wood, it's just really thick paper.

Uncle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 03:35:34 pm »
Thanks guys.  I will definitely add some extra batons and glue them to the base and sides.  Hopefully that should do the trick. 

As for the bezel thats the hardest part!  Im looking in the UK but without much success.  If all else fails I may have a go at building a temporary one like this...

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/fabrice.montupet/arcade/starwars/tabl/tabl8.htm

It looked pretty good when it was finished.

retrofuture

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 24, 2022, 12:41:44 pm
    • RetroFuture
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 05:18:48 pm »
Looking really good.

Is that Monkey's shop you bought the overlay from?
The future isn't what it used to be.

Xevious BartopRetroFuture

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 05:39:55 pm »
I agree, great looking cab. I'm also interested in the game you are building. Can you talk a little more about it?
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 10:42:30 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 09:33:21 pm »
Murphy, it's you!

Whoa, you're the dude doing the ROTJ vector and Star Wars front end. I've been following you for about a month from a link that Chad or Ginsu linked in chat, so I'm confused why Chad hasn't acknowledged it in this thread yet. Anyway, it's looking good to me. I see the 1x1s in the top and I imagine you have more under the base too. Looks great so far. Just make sure you use those same 1x1s you used at the top in the base as well. Gluing the wood pieces together before screwing them down will be a very important thing to do to add to the rigidity of the cabinet, as well as avoiding vibrations when you have a sub kicking in there.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 09:36:00 pm by Namco »

Uncle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 01:57:31 am »
Looking really good.

Is that Monkey's shop you bought the overlay from?

Yep, I bought it from Nigel.  Once I sort out my marquee frame I will also order that from him.   His service is second to none.

I should have a cam lock arriving today and hopefully I will fit that on the back door tonight.  I will also strengthen up the connections from the base to the sides as everyone suggested (Im glad I posted here as Im getting good tips which I wouldn't have thought of). 

I agree, great looking cab. I'm also interested in the game you are building. Can you talk a little more about it?

Reference the game, Im currently alternating between several big projects... 1. Looking after my two month old son, 2. Building the cab, 3. Writing the game, 4. Real life work project which goes live this week, and 5. Working on my degree with another assignment due next week.  I like to keep busy.  The game is coming along nicely though.  I've recently been working on the first stage and have been working on a path routine.  The first stage will be the first phase of the Battle of Endor.  You will fly an X-wing and your task will be to protect the millennium falcon.  The second level will be the speeder bike chase, and the third will be the run to the reactor core.  The game is being written using OpenGL rather than Mame, and so perhaps it's a little off topic here.  This is why I posted the link to my blog where I will cover the development of the game more.  However the cab will also be a mame cab as well.  There are several games that play well with a yoke... Starblade for example.

Cheers everyone for the feedback and tips :)