Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: "Questions" Forum would be really useful  (Read 3490 times)

willhs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2015, 03:49:53 pm
"Questions" Forum would be really useful
« on: June 12, 2007, 05:25:49 pm »
I know I'm a relatively new guy, and I'm not trying to jump in and say how things should be, but I think that a "Questions" type forum would be really useful for people, especially people starting out (but really, everyone has questions).

I bring this up because I had a simple question on whether anyone used the Betson/Imperial roller replacements on Happ trackballs.  I looked for the right forum to pose such a question, but it was difficult.  People post review requests in the Hardware Reviews forum, so I thought that's the closest thing.  My post was then moved to Everything Else, where it is mixed in with posts about peoples' favorite recipes and Paris Hilton's jail time.

I guess I'm saying it'd be nice to have a forum to ask questions about arcade hardware.  I think it'd also make it easier to search for answers (that way, information isn't buried in a 12 page post).

Anyway, just a suggestion.

Thanks,
Will

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
Re: "Questions" Forum would be really useful
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 08:32:42 pm »
I don't know about a questions forum, but I feel like Everything Else is the wrong place for your question to have been moved to.  Arcade Misc. maybe or even the main forum, but  EE is for everything that isn't arcade related.  I think you just happened to be the victim of human error, it'll happen.  Maybe they'll move it somewhere more relevant.

sirwoogie

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 10:16:38 pm
  • It's Hollyfeld in a Winnebago!
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 10:38:17 pm »
Yeah, that was a bad topic move. I'm not sure why it was moved to EE. As bfauska stated, EE is really for things other than arcade related. I've taken the liberty of moving it to Main for you.

Main is the appropriate forum to ask those types of questions in. As for the suggestion for a "Questions" forum, I think I'd be opposed to that. Main is designated for all things arcade related. Having two forums now dedicated to general questions means people would just have to look in both now. There is a wealth of Q & A in main that would be impossible now (because of sheer size) to split up into "Q" only.

Using the search function and flipping through the Wiki is the best place. If you feel a list of questions is warranted, by all means start a Wiki page that lists what you feel are good Q & A a beginner should know. If the community likes it, a moderator can even put a sticky topic at the top of Main to direct people there. We're always encouraging users to provide better ways to present the information.  As you do that, I'm sure you'll get plenty of experience on arcade related material!

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 06:14:28 am »
That was a slip of the button on my part, it was meant to go to Main.  Sorry about that!

willhs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2015, 03:49:53 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 05:04:14 pm »
Aha!  Main --  yeah, that's a good place.  Thanks guys!

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 08:53:43 am »
the whole point of this place is to ask questions :p

Main is pretty much where you ask anything you need to ask that isnt woodworking or artwork related.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Chris G

• Well then throw me in a dress and call me Sally
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 04:39:59 pm
  • Robotron in progress? I'm on my way.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 03:37:50 pm »

Not necessarily... sometimes folks just want to make a point.  There should also be a Statements forum created.

;)

tommy

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 11:06:20 pm »

Main is pretty much where you ask anything you need to ask that isnt woodworking or artwork related.

Sometimes long time members have no Patience for questions they feel have been answered many times and can make someone feel bad for asking a question. I've seen it way too many times.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 03:32:48 pm »
Sometimes long time members have no Patience for questions they feel have been answered many times and can make someone feel bad for asking a question. I've seen it way too many times.

And sometimes questions have been answered many times and the answers can be found in the FAQ, wiki or with a simple search. And then there is always The Book.

Having said that, tommy makes a good point and has made it enough times that I just try to steer clear of those types of questions if I am not in a jovial mood.

To my mind, the downside of having a separate Questions forum is that the old timers may not visit it much, so you may not end up with the best answers.

Tommy has a no tolerance for stupid responses is now in affect.

;)
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

tommy

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 04:54:37 pm »
Jeffo loves me i think.  :banghead:

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 06:13:11 pm »
I really don't think guys here want to talk about love and deep meaningfull feelings,
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 10:54:49 pm »
Seems kinda doubly redundant times two. ;)  After all, you can post questions in EVERY forum, targeting the specific expertise of those who might frequent one topic/forum more than others which would get you better answers.

You also might want to try an advanced search and/or select or deselect forums to narrow down your search for a particular answer to a question. 
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t