Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Basic Donkey Kong Restoration  (Read 3433 times)

wmba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2019, 11:43:09 am
Basic Donkey Kong Restoration
« on: January 11, 2008, 01:48:59 pm »
Hi all.  I am somewhat new around here.  Been messing with arcade cabinets for the last year.. so I am still very new to the hobby and have lots to learn.

I have just recently started a new project of restoring a Donkey Kong cabinet.  I picked it up for a reasonable price, as it had been converted to Excitebike and wasn't in the best shape. 

Was not working when I got it.. but just jiggling the harness around got it to fire up.   The screen had some burn in, and also one of those "lines" where it seemed that the entire upper portion of the screen was folded into itself.

The cabinet itself was in decent shape... but was very dirty. There was no control panel overlay (just black paper and cheap plexi that looked terrible, a blank bezel, and an Excitebike Marquee. There was alot of "gum" or sticky residue on the side of the cabinet where the old DK artwork would have been...  but overall a very restorable cabinet.

The original plate with the DK serial number is still on the back of the cabinet, and the back door instruction paper is still there.

I will post pictures of my progress as I work on the cabinet.

Bill
Games in my collection: Pole Position II (it actually works! Well... most of the time), Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, 280 Zzzap, Pacman, custom 3/4 size Ms. Pacman, Yankee Shuffle Alley (1954), Blue Ribbon pinball.

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2020, 09:26:27 pm
  • A young guy feeling older than sin......
Re: Basic Donkey Kong Restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 02:01:24 pm »
Sweet.  Can't wait to see it.  Someone around here (can't remember the name right now, but I think it's Neil) recently restored a DK Cabinet and detailed it quite well.  Take a look at his thread for guidance.  The cabinet came out looking awesome!
Donkey Kong High Scores:
1): 49,500
2): 35,600
3): 30,100
4): 29,400
5): 28,200

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2024, 06:21:28 pm
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 02:14:16 pm »
Awesome - good luck. I just did one of these recently (I didn't make a PA). Here is links to Neils and MarkVP's DK restores:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=70324.0
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=51522.0

wmba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 02:15:23 pm »
Yes.. I think I looked at the thread you are talking about. That guys cabinet turned out amazing!   I don't have the time, money, or ability to do something like that (just had my first baby 6 weeks ago.. so my time and budget for this is limited).  I just want to clean up the cabinet and get it running some DK boards. Not looking to make a mint condition cabinet, but rather just one that is presentable and fun to play.  

I am sure that I will get more into this hobby as the years go on and will probably get better and better with each cabinet I work on (assuming I do more of them)...   but for now.. I just want to make a decent DK that I can enjoy.  

But I think this cabinet will look really nice when I am done. I have a friend at a sign shop who creates artwork for me... so it should be very clean and nice when all is said and done.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 12:32:35 pm by wmba »
Games in my collection: Pole Position II (it actually works! Well... most of the time), Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, 280 Zzzap, Pacman, custom 3/4 size Ms. Pacman, Yankee Shuffle Alley (1954), Blue Ribbon pinball.

wmba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 02:23:56 pm »
Can someone help me out with how to post an image in a message?  I have no idea how to do it.  I see an "Insert Photo" button.. but when I click it... I just see some html in the message... but no way to link that to the picture.

Do I need to put the pictures online somewhere else first and then link to them.. or can I upload them directly into my post?

Thanks..
Bill

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 03:24:14 pm »
You can upload pictures someplace else online and link to them, but the preferred way is to click on the "Additional Options" link right below the message box in your reply.  When that expands, you'll be able to upload pictures right into the post.
Donkey Kong High Scores:

wmba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 04:08:23 pm »
Ok.. here is a picture of the cabinet as it looked when I first got it home:

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2024, 06:21:28 pm
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 04:12:34 pm »
Awesome!

Ya know, there really isn't much to making it look mint. Just money!  ;D It doesn't even take that much more time. New Marquee, New CP, New Bezel is all it takes. You can skip the sideart for now to save some loot.

wmba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 04:15:28 pm »
Well..  as I started to mention earlier... I have a friend at a sign shop... so side art won't cost me anything (I have it already... pics coming soon).  As far as the art department goes... I am completely hooked up by a good friend. I lucked out in that department.

wmba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 06:44:35 pm »
Here are a few more pics of the cabinet when I first got it:

wmba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 06:46:06 pm »
more pics

wmba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 06:59:12 pm »
My first step was to remove the control panel, bezel and marqee, and then start cleaning the outside of the cabinet. I had originally intended to repaint the entire cabinet.. but after a few hours of scrubbing.. the original blue started to look good (ignore the DK3 Marquee.. I just had it laying around and put it on for fun).

wmba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 07:04:00 pm »
Next step was to replace the old t-molding with shiny new white ones, and to fill in the holes that had been drilled for the horizontal monitor mounts. I also put on my new DK marquee.

wmba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 07:09:32 pm »
Next I put on the control panel (the same one that came with it, but with a new overlay made for me by a friend), as well as the marquee (made by the same friend).

I also started touching up the outside of the cabinet with matching blue paint in areas that were chipped or damaged (not seen in these pics)

wmba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 07:14:59 pm »
And the most recent step was to put on the new side art (again made by my friend).. and to move the cabinet into my basement from the garage. It can been seen below next to my Pole Position II cabinet and MAME cabinet (with PacMan artwork.. under construction)

Next step will be to locate a working DK boardset at a reasonable price and put it, along with the monitor, into the cabinet.

Jdurg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 08:56:04 pm »
Wow.  Great job there!   :cheers:
Donkey Kong High Scores:

WunderCade

• Hey Saint, wanna update my custom title? ;D
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2023, 07:54:12 am
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2008, 05:55:13 pm »
And the most recent step was to put on the new side art (again made by my friend).. and to move the cabinet into my basement from the garage. It can been seen below next to my Pole Position II cabinet and MAME cabinet (with PacMan artwork.. under construction)

Next step will be to locate a working DK boardset at a reasonable price and put it, along with the monitor, into the cabinet.

Please tell me that Pac-man is NOT a converted TRON.

wmba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 10:23:19 pm »
Wundercade... have no fear!  Although I am very new to this hobby... I am not completely oblivious to the value of things.   The Pacman/MAME cabinet you see in the picture was an old DECO Cassette cabinet. It was not working, and after doing a bunch of research.. I concluded that these cabinets have little-to-no value among the arcade collecting community, since parts are scarce and the cassette system always failed (even when the cabinets were new).  The cabinet had nothing more than some plain, wood grain covering on all sides, and a generic bezel and control panel. I removed those, as well as the Bump N Jump marquee that was on the cabinet, and then painted the front yellow and put entire panels of artwork on either side. It was a very boring, plain cabinet with little in the way of valuable parts...  and so I just picked PacMan artwork to put on it and put a computer inside.   
I would never destroy a classic cabinet.. especially not a tron.   Hope you feel a little better now!!   ;)

wmba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 12:26:30 pm »
Thanks Jdurg. The cabinet looks great (for my purposes at least).  I must give credit to my friend at the sign shop (who is also getting into this hobby).  Without his skills... the cabinet would not looks this nice yet.

I will post more as I do more work.

wmba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 12:30:37 pm »
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 12:32:14 pm by wmba »