Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is it necessary to prime/seal MDF if using vinyl covering on most of cabinet?  (Read 10828 times)

amadama

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2019, 04:44:52 pm
Hi guys,
I have searched through some older postings on the topic of sealing/primer on MDF and have noticed different opinions on this.
I am going to cover the sides and front of my new MDF cab with adhesive vinyl. Shoud I apply this straight to the MDF or should it be coated with a primer or sealer first?
Much appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex

this is the cab I am talking about:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=67464.0

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm

On the cabs I've stripped, I've noticed that if there is a primer under the vinyl then it is transparent.  When you strip off the vinyl there is no visual evidence of anything other than glue.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:39:33 am
I never even thought about this.  I've covered MDF in adhesive vinyl before without any primer and it seems to be holding up pretty well.

amadama

• Offline Offline
Ok, Thanks guys.
I think I will go straight on the wood with the vinyl (actually I will use a little extra 3m spray adhesive on the wood first for a little extra stickiness).
ALex

ScottS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
MDF soaks up glue just as readily as paint. I'd probably prime the surface if I was worried about long-term durability...

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm

Yeah, the cabs I've stripped have had a LOT of glue under the vinyl.  Like a sixteenth or eighth of an inch at times.

johnvv

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2012, 08:36:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
The issue I've run into with thin vinyl is that is will show any imperfections in the wood underneath it.  You might try with a small piece first and see how it looks.  If it is okay, remove it and do the whole piece of MDF.

If you do see 'bumps' or 'warts' coming through the vinyl, you will need to make the MDF completely smooth.  Using a primer is usually the best and easiest way to do this as it will fill in the recessed 'holes' in the MDF.  You'll need to sand afterwards.

I'm wary of many of the 3M and other adhesives with thin vinyl.  Some of the adhesives have chemical properties that will either react with the vinyl or bubble under it.  The result is a lumpy vinyl application.

amadama

• Offline Offline
Interesting point johnvv.
I will try some sample pieces with and without primer this weekend and see how it comes out.
The MDF on my cab sides is extremely smooth as is so I may be ok.
Thanks,
Alex

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm
Interesting point johnvv.
I will try some sample pieces with and without primer this weekend and see how it comes out.
The MDF on my cab sides is extremely smooth as is so I may be ok.
Thanks,
Alex

You should have a much better result with MDF than if you had plywood or particle board.  Take some pics and show us what the result is.

TTFN

doctorhifi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 05, 2013, 08:21:41 am
    • My cabinet
When I ordered the vinyl for my cabinet from mamemarquees.com they had instructions stating that you should prime or paint the MDF first:

http://www.mamemarquees.com/articles.php?tPath=1&osCsid=99d67b5f9f169b92b29b2c699a933545

my cabinet:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=67989.0

amadama

• Offline Offline
That's a nice cab!
How much did it cost to print out the sides?