Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 5v and 12v wiring to power supply  (Read 1194 times)

urbecrisch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2024, 08:05:57 pm
  • I was the S**T back in '82
5v and 12v wiring to power supply
« on: May 17, 2007, 08:23:15 pm »
I'm curious how many components you can hook up to a "y" power connector?  I'm planning on:

12v to translucent trackball
5v to coin lamps
5v to coin counter

1. Can all of this be hooked up to the same power supply or do I need additional power to plug things into?

2. Also, if I plan on using some LED pushbuttons, can these be used with the same power supply or is another source of power needed?

Cheers!

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
Re: 5v and 12v wiring to power supply
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 08:50:14 pm »
What is the rating on your power supply? How many other components are you using? Generally speaking you should be fine. However, if you are hooking up 3-4 hard drives, a DVD rom and ather components to a very small power supply, it may be pushing it.

urbecrisch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 10:21:14 pm »
Where do I find the power supply rating? 

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 10:45:42 pm »
Some power supplies have a little information on the back, probably not enough to figure find what you need. Most, if not all, PSU's have a big sticker on the side. You can find it when you open your PC case up and take a glance. The information is located on a power supply like thus:

Depending on the design of the case, you might have to physically remove the PSU from the case. Some cases have a carriage, others have the PSU upside down or whatever.

Some stickers look like this power supply rated at 220W:

This particular model is a 300W unit:

Most stickers are broken down on how much power is pumped through each rail. A few show general information and a few show a per connector basis.

Please note, that despite a PSU stating they're 300W or whatever, There's a lot of variations in the manufacturing process and quality control. I've seen 250W PSU's from a top quality manufacturer run the same equipment more reliably than a 300W PSU from a ---smurfy--- company. Most people usually don't have to worry since they'll rarely hit the upper limits of their PSU.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:50:04 pm by SavannahLion »

urbecrisch

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:24:06 pm »
So if my PSU can put out 220W - 300W, will the bottom voltage work with everything else the PSU is powering?

12v to translucent trackball
5v to coin lamps
5v to coin counter