Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pedestal Project Starts Today  (Read 2627 times)

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Pedestal Project Starts Today
« on: June 06, 2007, 08:03:28 pm »
Hi,

After my mind numbing and interesting sub mini pacman affair, I decided to find a home for all my consoles and X Arcade.  I have the Sub Mini Dragon's Lair also next on the agenda, so I'm thinking of doing both projects to save time.

I did have a X Arcade cabinet setup I constructed but after looking at it funny for a few months I decided to take an axe to it and put it out of its misery, thus my consoles were forced to go homeless for a couple of months.

I have a 17" LCD monitor and all the bits for hooking up 5 consoles and PC to the X Arcade.  Now I know I'm treading on thin ice here for mentioning the X Arcade as I'm supposed to make my own panel...  :blah:   But the construction of the controller is perfect for a pedestal.

The only room I have for it is 26x17x 41".  Enough room for a caberet I hear you say?

My biggest problem I have is functionality for the the proximity of the LCD.  My face is going to be 12 inches away from the screen when at the helm of the controller.  What resolution would you advise to reduce the threat of blindness in this setup?  Two feet?  Or is 12 inches ok?

I have already started on the supports and the cage for the PC/Consoles are all set for assembly. 

Permission for displaying the DL artwork is being obtained. (Don't want to get sued).

Pictures are the norm in these cases and links to my site will follow.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
Re: Pedestal Project Starts Today
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 06:23:54 pm »
Right,

I have been busy over the weekend to complete my pedestal and start on my Sub Mini Bartop Dragon's Lair machine.

The pedestal kinda turned into a shelf/stereo unit which is next to me now but needs coverings, hinges, artwork and casters including a mount for the LCD.  I was going to have the LCD wall mounted, but pointless if the thing is mobile.   

With as much console  :censored: I have around, finding a permanent home for it is very appealing.

The Sub Mini Dragon's lair has been scaled and drawn ready for cutting.  My biggest problem is getting the artwork authorised for viewing.   The parts have just arrived.

But I'm excited to have my most favorite laseerdisc classic on my desk.

Pictures and laughter coming soon.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
Hello,

I have been busy making a mess of my walls trying to pin this pedestal/stereo cabinet (well it look like it at the moment) using expanding bolts. Of the eight bolts I bought two survived and now the cabinet is rigid enough for some SF battles.

I mounted the LCD yesterday with the view to put a surround on it, but this project was designed to use quite a small area so I think that idea will have to wait.

Just need to wire and install my consoles and fit the surrounds and add artwork or get a stereo system if it doesn't pan out.  :laugh2:

It will look better when I get time to put the sides on and install the access doors for the consoles.  The botton part houses the PC which powers all the lights, bells and whistles.  All 95% recycled from my old cab to save the trees.

The Xarcade will be latched solid to the pedestal/cabinet and I have a Microsoft Sidewinder wheel that is going right under the  X-Arcade and just enough room for the LCD Top Guns.

It will be ace - can't wait....

More (slightly better) pictures to follow.

Anubis_au

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2023, 10:12:32 pm
  • Ever danced with the Devil in the pale moonlight?
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 07:50:20 pm »
Have you had a look at Knievel's woody design? It might be the sort of thing you want to make, although you'd obviously put shelves in the bottom 'cabinet bit' to house all your kit.

(I was going to write have you had a look at Knievel's woody, but luckily I caught myself in time  :laugh2:)

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 05:54:40 pm »
Yeah, I have seen Knievel's woody...design and even though I am the cabinet master of my household, I could not match 1 inch of Knievel know-how to build it.  Also I have some other factors that made me make that stereo cabinet design (its certainly no pedestal eh? ) like weight and size constraints.  MDF is too heavy.

And I'm not going to impress anyone when they come over or have neon lights blinking showing how cool it is.  I'll reserve that to the sub-mini DL machine.  I just wanted a slim light "unit I can cram my consoles and have a bash whenever I have the time to" cabinet.

I'd just impress myself when I have it finished, as I NEVER EVER finish a project totally.  Besides with my luck I will probably look at it funny again and take my trusty axe out its sheath and make firewood out of it.  Then I will embark on Knievel's mega cool design for sure.

Even if the cabinet looks like  :censored:  :laugh2:

It will be functional.