Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 4 Way Stick in Wooden Panel ?  (Read 2063 times)

webby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 14, 2002, 02:01:04 pm
  • These damn wires !
4 Way Stick in Wooden Panel ?
« on: March 28, 2002, 03:32:46 am »
Ok,

I've had a look at what Happ and Suzo offer in the way of joysticks and I've already got some 8 way sticks (went with suzo because they were dirt cheap and got good reviews, seem fine to me). I now want to get a dedicated 4 way stick for pac-man and the like. I had a look at what was on offer again and this time I haven't a clue what to go for. The pac-man like sticks that both companies offer seem fine but a little short. Any observations, opinions ?

I was wondering in the happ universal joystick would fit the bill ?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Re: 4 Way Stick in Wooden Panel ?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2002, 10:27:29 am »
No... don't go for a super (think it's the only happs one) that can convert between 4way and 8way.  They kinda suck and you can get the functionality out of mame with the setup of up notleft notright, left notup notdown...  

Go with either a true 4 way or the oscar plates.

I'm happy with my wico leaf 4way that I got for 10 bucks.  But finding them are harder and harder.  

but with the optional plates from oscar, the plates are really cool.  4way plate, QBert plate, 2way plates without changing the amount of space!

I'm actually considering adding a super (for round corner games like timepilor) and the plates at some point.

Dan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2010, 11:52:34 pm
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2002, 02:00:26 pm »
I've installed a 4-way Wico joystick in a 3/4" wood panel and it works great!  It is lower than the 8-way joysticks, but that's how I remember the old-school joysticks to be.

Dan

Steve

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2002, 02:32:05 pm »
Hi,

Quick question?  You had mentioned that you can get the 4 way funstionality from mame in games like Mspacman?  I've been trying to figure out where you would enter the upnodown leftnotup etc.  Are you editing the mame config file, or are you entering it in the joystick setup within mame, while you're running the game?  I'm running Dos mame 57.

Thanks!

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2002, 02:40:41 pm »
left up up down down (I think) to get left no up no down.

but remember.  4ways are used for 2 reasons

1) to get rid of diagonals since many games don't know what to do with a diagonal (frogger is one of the worse in my mind.  it seems to make up what to do)

this is fixed with the up not left not right since it wont send the signal at all

2) get rid of the diagonal dead zones.  IE, you think your going up, but you are really going diagonal so nothing is sent.  This really sucks.  

btw, with the up noleft noright setup, I ended up rather playing with a keyboard then on my cabinet.  to many times it just doesn't act right.

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2002, 11:06:15 pm »
The best thing is to get a real 4-way, not an 8-way with a 4-way conversion.  Happs Ms. Pac-Man replacement stick is pretty good.  It's basically a Happ Super with a different stick and a diamond-shaped hole in the base to restrict it from hitting diagonals.  If the stick is too short, you can either: A) cut and router down into your panel so the stick is flush with the panel, then cover the panel with an overlay to hide the hardware (this is what I did); B) replace the actual stick with one from a Happ Super, which will be long enough to go through a 3/4" panel (if you can find someone who will sell you a stick by itself--http://www.therealbobroberts.com might have the replacement parts; or C) construct a metal control panel, which will be thin enough to accept the shorter stick.

Good luck.

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...