Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: T molding routing HELP!!!!!  (Read 11800 times)

acevedor2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2022, 07:44:45 pm
T molding routing HELP!!!!!
« on: January 04, 2007, 01:42:51 pm »
Ok,  I am admitted routing novice.  I just started routing a couple of days ago.  I bought the Ryobi Laminate trimmer with base adapter.  Yes I know it is not heavy duty, but from what I read on this forum it would allow me to do the job and not cost me a gazillion dollars.  So now to my problem.

I have ruined two CP tops trying to cut the T-molding slot.  Everytime I cut it I get lots of smoke from wood burning and a sloppy---I'm attempting to get by the auto-censor and should be beaten after I re-read the rules-- slot that is too wide in many spaces for the T-molding!  Needless to say I am frustrated.  So a couple of questions -

1.  Why the smoke?  I thought it was because I was going too deep too quick (the slot cutter is about 1/2 wide).  So I did multiple passes and still got smoke.  The smoke is definitely coming from the wood and not the router (trimmer).  Could it be that the trimmer is just not strong enough to handle it?  I welcome any thoughts.

2.  I want to make sure I am doing it right, the manual for the router says to go from left to right.  Is that correct? 

3.  I am very tempted now to go get a router table and just use that.  My questions is - would that make a difference and would it be easier?

I know these may seem like ridiculously easy questions, and I have done the search for info (not just at BYOAC but on Google as well).  I can't seem to find straight answers to my questions.  I would most certainly appreciate any help you could give me.  Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Ray
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2024, 06:21:28 pm
Re: T molding routing HELP!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 01:58:42 pm »
Sounds like you got the 3 wing bit on upside down and it's cutting with the wrong side. The blades are meant to point the way it's spinning. Check that out.

As for the slot being too wide - check to make sure all the wings are lined up. If one is a little higher, you'll cut a bigger slot than the 1/16" you need.

Lastly, use scrap wood man! Make sure you got it right before you cut on a live peice of wood.

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 03:02:18 pm »
Thanks Lew.  I did use scrap wood.  It seemed fine.  I guess I should have done a bigger test cut.

I will definitely check the blades to make sure they are on the right way.  I never thought of that.  Any thoughts on the whole table saw idea?  Thanks again.
Cheers.
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 04:03:46 pm »
Well the blade was upside down (cutting edges pointing the wring direction).  So I fixed that and tried again.  It does cut a little better but still lots of smoke when it cuts and does not seem to cut as cleanly as it is supposed to.  I have definitely figured out that part of the problem is my unsteady hand.  Even though the bearing is riding against the wood, there is not much base to the Ryobi trimmer.  This means very little is actually sitting on the top of the wood as I route. 

Could the problem be the bit?  Also, the slotting bit is about 1/2 wide from bearing to cutting tip.  How many passes should that take?  I think I read somewhere that you should only take off 1/8" per pass, so in my case that would be about 4 passes.  Is this correct?

Thanks!
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

miles2912

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 04:55:18 pm »
What kind of wood are you routing?   I routed MDF with a cheap harbor freight router.. bit was all the way in to the bering and made just one pass.  No issues.

My first thought was that the laminate cutter is not supported firmly or just underpowered?  Is it making noises or straining to cut.  You should only make one pass counterclockwise.  Make sure the instructions tell you which way to move the router.

Don
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

ScottS

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2007, 02:21:30 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 05:34:08 pm »
Smoking happens because the wood is burning. The wood is burning due to excess friction. Possible sources of friction are:

1) Attempting to move the router through the wood too quickly
2) Router spinning the bit at the wrong speed
3) Router bit is dull; very likely after running it upside down for several passes
4) Router base isn't staying in contact with the surface of the wood being routed, causing the cutter to wander up and down
5) Depth of the cut isn't held constant, due to trying to make shallow cuts with an incorrect bearing

If I were you, I'd install a bearing that makes the cut no more than 1/16th-inch deep and see what happens. Move the router forward slowly; it should feel like it's moving through butter. If there is resistance, you're moving it too fast! If you're still having problems at that point, it's due either to incorrect technique or you've trashed the router bit by installing it upside down.

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 08:27:01 pm »
Thanks Scott.  I aprreciate the advice. I am sure that the bit is probably toast.  Not only did I have it installed upside down and cutting the wrong way, but I was moving clockwise with the router instead of moving counterclockwise most of the time.  Sometimes I was moving both directions (though obviously not at the same time :) )

Is there a way to sharpen the bit?  I am going to buy another one tomorrow, bbut rather than toss the one I have I was wondering if it could be salvaged?

I agree that the router base was not staying in contact.  Problem was that the base on the  laminate trimmer is so small that it provides very little area for the router to rest on.  Unfortunately I wasn't steady enough and hence the gap widened.  I intend to go tomorrow and buy a router table.  Gives me a good excuse to pick one up anyway.  That should solve that problem - there should be plenty of space for the material to rest on while I feed it through the router. 

My only question is that you said to get a bearing that would leave 1/16 " from the bearing to the end of the blade.  The T molding slot has to be 3/8 deep so was the reason for doing a pass at 1/16 just to see if it worked correctly?

It is also possible that the router is spinning at the wrong speed.  The wood is MDF and the spinner speeds at whatever speed is needed for laminate ( I am sure the manual says but I am just not sure).  What should the proper RPM range be for 3/4 MDF?

Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 10:09:51 pm »
acevedor2,

I'm slightly worried that your material isn't secure. You need both hands on the router. This is a very dangerous step. Your material should be secure and you should operate the router with both hands, some safety goggles and patience. Also, making sure you have both hands on the router will ensure that it has good contact with the material.

Also, I've used my 3 wing bit to cut through plywood and mdf. It cuts like butter... 1 pass. Cheap-o Harbor Freights router. 1.5hp.

Imagine the ironic pain if you lose your eyes or your trigger finger trying to build an arcade cabinet.

ScottS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 10:26:55 pm »
Is there a way to sharpen the bit?  I am going to buy another one tomorrow, bbut rather than toss the one I have I was wondering if it could be salvaged?

Yes, bits can be sharpened... if you have the right tools. Usually, router bits are sharpened with small diamond "hones" or files. You might need 2-3 different grits to do the best job and they'll probably run $5-8/ea. It can also be a bit tricky to file consistently at the right angle. If the filing angle varies, the bit won't end up very sharp.

Rather than trying to fix it yourself, I'd suggest one of two things:

1) See if there's a sharpening service in your area that will sharpen the bit for you. Sometimes knife or saw sharpening places will also do router bits... though it's often not profitable for them to do it. I got a 14" 72-tooth saw blade sharpened for less than $20-25, so I wouldn't expect this to cost more than $5-8.

2) Buy a new cutter, but not the shaft/arbor or ball bearings. That should drop the price a bit; maybe up to 50%.

I agree that the router base was not staying in contact.  Problem was that the base on the  laminate trimmer is so small that it provides very little area for the router to rest on.  Unfortunately I wasn't steady enough and hence the gap widened.  I intend to go tomorrow and buy a router table.  Gives me a good excuse to pick one up anyway.  That should solve that problem - there should be plenty of space for the material to rest on while I feed it through the router.

A cheap router table may be just as bad, or worse, than trying to hand-hold the router. They tend to have small tables, which can make balancing a large piece of wood tricky. To be honest, I wouldn't expect that hand-holding a laminate trimmer should be that difficult. You might be better off investing in a different router! This should really be the sort of work where a laminate trimmer or other small router shines!

Let me ask a silly question: what technique are you using to route your panel? Do you have it clamped to something secure, like a workbench? Is the board mounted horizontally, with the router sitting on top of it? Do you have both hands on the router? Are you concentrating on keeping it flat on the board you're routing, rather than worrying about whether the ball-bearing is in contact with the edge of the board?

My only question is that you said to get a bearing that would leave 1/16 " from the bearing to the end of the blade.  The T molding slot has to be 3/8 deep so was the reason for doing a pass at 1/16 just to see if it worked correctly?

Yes. A 1/16th slot should be well within the capability of any router. If you can't cut a 1/16th inch slot without burning, then the bit is definitely dull! If you don't have a bearing that'll give you a 1/16th inch cut, use whatever you've got that will give you a shallow cut.

It is also possible that the router is spinning at the wrong speed.  The wood is MDF and the spinner speeds at whatever speed is needed for laminate ( I am sure the manual says but I am just not sure).  What should the proper RPM range be for 3/4 MDF?

Don't know off the top of my head. The larger the diameter of the bit, the slower it should turn. Does your trim router have adjustable speed? Since trim routers are usually used with narrow flush-cut bits, they're probably spinning at 22-25K RPMs. If the slot cutter you're using is only supposed to be used at, say, 18K RPMs that might also explain why you're getting burning. Running the bit too fast generates a lot of friction, which generates heat, which leads to burning...

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 01:26:36 pm »
Thanks Scott,
   I bought a new slot cutting bit.  I do have the workpiece clamped tightly.  I am going to put on the regular router base that comes with the Ryobi trimmer.  That should give me more steadying area on the wood.  I am going to make sure the bit is installed correctly this time.....and give it another shot.  From what everyone is telling me, this should definitely be doable with the Ryobi trimmer.  So that must mean it is operator error.  Luckily for me that is something I can work on :)

Thanks again.
Ray
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2011, 11:48:50 am
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 05:58:28 pm »
Just to add to what Ace is going through.  When I cut my slot into my cab sides I had lots of the smoking burning stuff, but it cut the thing nice and clean it did look black in there though.  Dude I wonder if mine was upside down???  Dang man I didn't even know there was a right side up or down.  What would the 3 blade thing look like???  Blades facing down or up?  which one is the correct procedure?  I definately would like to know before I cut the slot in my control panel top.

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 06:02:40 pm »
Okay I read Leapins post I will check my bit at home since it is still ont he shank in my tool box.  I think mine may be good, it really didn't smoke bad but it did have wood burning smell.

So it spins clockwise right so we need to make sure the blade part is spinning first clockwise as well.  I am going to check that when I get home.

My problem is I need to get off my Xbox 360 (oblivion) and draw out my desighn on paper for my control panel top.

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 06:59:59 pm »
Get going on that design Dowdy!  Lol. 

Yeah, i was completely surprised that there was a right way and wrong way.  It was the 50 - 50 - 90 rule.  That is - whenever you are faced with 2 options, i.e. 50/50 chance of one or the other  - 90% of the time you will pick the wrong one! :)  I know that is not mathematically correct but it sure seems that way sometimes.  It was raining here today, but tomorrow it is supposed o be 76 and sunny - I will be cab making all day!!!

Cheers all.
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

Kryten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2017, 05:44:24 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 02:24:04 am »
Why not clamp A board near the edge as a fence you can use it to control the depth of the cut. Just keep moving it farther from the edge to make deeper cut that way you can make it in several controlled passes.

Good Luck  ;)

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 08:22:06 am »
Great idea Kryten I hadn't thought of that.  I'll give it a try. Thanks
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2007, 01:20:54 pm »
Well it must have been me putting the bit in backwards because I bought  a new slot cutting bit, used the same laminate trimmer and it went through like butter!  It was fast, easy and came out great!  Thanks for all of the help.  Who woulda thunk that it was possible to put the slot cutting bit in upside down.....

Cheers!
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2007, 06:50:02 pm »
Well it must have been me putting the bit in backwards because I bought  a new slot cutting bit, used the same laminate trimmer and it went through like butter!  It was fast, easy and came out great!  Thanks for all of the help.  Who woulda thunk that it was possible to put the slot cutting bit in upside down.....

Cheers!

Good for you. Now make sure your very careful doing the routing.

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2007, 07:41:32 pm »
All done with the routing and it looks fantastic.  I just printed out the CP template and Iam going to be cutting the controls tomorrow! Wish me luck!  Cheers.
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

Fluffy the Bear

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2007, 11:17:06 am
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 06:52:55 pm »
An alternative to the fun router project:

Measure your T-Molding and cut the first piece you need to length

Turn over the T-Molding and cut the friggin "T" off of it with your utility knife

Install your T-molding with "Goop" brand adhesive and get it perfect the first time

It'll never come loose

It can very easily be done after the rest of the project

One machine takes about an hour  :blah:

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 08:16:56 pm »
An alternative to the fun router project:

Measure your T-Molding and cut the first piece you need to length

Turn over the T-Molding and cut the friggin "T" off of it with your utility knife

Install your T-molding with "Goop" brand adhesive and get it perfect the first time

It'll never come loose

It can very easily be done after the rest of the project

One machine takes about an hour  :blah:

I've installed 100's of feet of t-molding. I'm not sure how well I could cut off the T portion and it remain flat enough to not look crappy. I prefer to not use glue when possible - I may want to redo the t-molding later, change the color, or whatever.

Also... for building arcade cabinets a router is a great tool to have. The trace bit alone is worth the cost of a router. Being able to cut plexi easily and routing out a t-mold slots is just a bonus!

Dmod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2012, 06:50:45 pm
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 12:59:11 pm »
Just to add another inexperienced question onto this...

When I routed my T-molding, the slot was clean but I did get some burn marks where the bearing meets the wood.  My bearing does not spin.  Does this mean I have the nut on the arbor too tight?

It could also be that I didn't install the cutter and bearing in the right order.  The way I have it now, the cutter is at the top with the bearing beneath and finally the nut.

I'm using a Bosch arbor and slot cutter that I picked up at Lowes.  Here's a pic of it.  The bearing is actually two pieces.  First I tried mounting the cutter between the two pieces but that seemed to cause more burning so I removed it, put the two pieces together and mounted the bearing below the slot cutter.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 01:34:45 pm by Dmod »
My Projects:
Suspended Animation Scratch-built Cab
Driveshaft Arcade Seat Platform

ScottS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 01:38:53 pm »
Just to add another inexperienced question onto this...

When I routed my T-molding, the slot was clean but I did get some burn marks where the bearing meets the wood.  My bearing does not spin.  Does this mean I have the nut on the arbor too tight?

It could also be that I didn't install the cutter and bearing in the right order.  The way I have it now, the cutter is at the top with the bearing beneath and finally the nut.

Sounds like your bearing was turning at the same speed as the bit. My slot cutter includes a pair of washers. The order in which you put things on the shaft is: washer, cutter, washer, bearing, nut. If you clamp everything tight without any washers, I would expect the bearing to spin with the shaft. This is dangerous! To check whether your setup is correct take the bit out of the router. Grab the bearing with your left hand, then spin the shaft with your right hand. You should see the cutter rotate while the bearing doesn't. If feel any movement from the bearing, something is wrong!

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 01:42:50 pm »
D Mod - I have the same slot cutter and arbor and I got it from Lowes as well.  Those 2 pieces you are talking baout, ARE NOT a bearing.  You have to buy a separate bearing.  In my case I had one from MLCS from when I bought the other slot cutter (the one I toasted by having it on upside down :) )

Once you have the bearing on the arbor, the whole assembly is great.  Cut my slot in about 2 minutes for the entire thing.

Cheers.
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

ScottS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 02:24:36 pm »
FYI, it looks to me like the arbor pictured isn't long enough to accept a bearing! Hopefully you've got something slightly different...

Dmod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 03:08:58 pm »
Quote from: acevedor2 link=topic=61747.msg616348#msg616348
Those 2 pieces you are talking baout, ARE NOT a bearing.  You have to buy a separate bearing.  In my case I had one from MLCS from when I bought the other slot cutter (the one I toasted by having it on upside down :) )

Once you have the bearing on the arbor, the whole assembly is great.  Cut my slot in about 2 minutes for the entire thing.

Cheers.

OK... now I'm really confused.  So what is that 2 part sandwich for and how do I mount that with the cutter?

The Bosch website does spec the Bearing Diameter which I though matched up with the sandwich:
http://www.boschtools.com/accessories/accessories-detail.htm?H=179157&G=57112

Here's a better picture from the Lowe's website of the arbor.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 03:11:51 pm by Dmod »
My Projects:

ScottS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 09:14:24 pm »
The "2 part sandwich" is probably the Bosch equivalent of the washers on my slot cutter. You put your cutter between them, then add the bearing, then screw the nut on. Do the test I described to make sure that the bearing doesn't move while the cutter spins.

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2007, 05:19:37 pm »
That's exactly correct Scott.  The metal clamshell just equates to 2 washers that go on either side of the slot cutting bit. 
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

Dmod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2007, 05:30:43 pm »
Funny... so I had the cutter in the right spot the first time, but was missing the bearing.  Thank goodness nothing bad happened.   :dizzy:

I checked last night and my clamshell is now a little tarnished and ragged around the edges.   I guess this is just a spacer and won't matter much once I get the right bearing.  Hopefully I can get one at Lowes.

Thanks for the help, guys.
My Projects:

Dmod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2007, 04:38:09 pm »
Just a quick note on buyer beware...

I went back to Lowe's.  They don't carry a bearing for the arbor with the 1/4" shank.  I was told you need to order it from the manufacturer.  The 1/2" shank arbor that they sell includes the bearing.  Go figure.

Why they would bother selling the cutter and arbor for the cutter without also carrying the bearing is beyond me but so be it.   :banghead:

My Projects:

northerngames

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2016, 04:18:51 pm
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2007, 12:27:43 am »
I also bought the same bit and had ordered the bearing seperate with the 3 wing slot cutter it all work's great now and yes I thought gee that suck's becuase it does not come with one nor do they sell them at lowes just the arbor and blade's  :P

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2007, 12:53:36 am »
Just a quick note on buyer beware...

I went back to Lowe's.  They don't carry a bearing for the arbor with the 1/4" shank.  I was told you need to order it from the manufacturer.  The 1/2" shank arbor that they sell includes the bearing.  Go figure.

Why they would bother selling the cutter and arbor for the cutter without also carrying the bearing is beyond me but so be it.   :banghead:

Another Buyer Beware  - the cost for bits at Lowes is steep. I would only purchase a bit there if it was some sort of routing emergency....  ::)

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2007, 07:53:35 am »
I agree with Lew.  That said, I am done with MLCS cheaply made bits that dont last.  I am going to try their Katana brand and see if they are any better.  Even their Katana brand is less than Lowes price. 
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2007, 03:39:27 pm »
I agree with Lew.  That said, I am done with MLCS cheaply made bits that dont last.  I am going to try their Katana brand and see if they are any better.  Even their Katana brand is less than Lowes price. 

Ace,

The quality of the MLCS bits don't stand up?  Whats your experience with them. Maybe I'm a light user or something because I don't think I'm having any problems with them.

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2007, 04:05:47 pm »
I have had one bit brake and almost take out my face - no kidding.  The little screw that holds the bearing on apparently sheared off and so the bit was going all over the place. 

I also had two bits that went dull after cutting the CP pieces alone! 

I promise I am using them correctly and they do work, but after a short time you can tell they are getting dull and it is harder to get them to cut.  All of the bits I have gotten from lowes - although a bit more expensive - continue to work like new.  Again, for the price and under limited use I would say MLCS bits are good but for any knid of routine woodworking, I would have to recommend against them. 

That is certainly just my opinion and it may be just an isolated incident but after that bit broke and the entire router bucked up on me, I am a little gun shy of their bits. 
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

rdowdy95

• Offline Offline
  • This is my rifle.
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2007, 05:14:22 pm »
I also have not had any problem with the bits.  I used my slot cutting but around both cab sides.  Sure it was a little smokey smelling and black, but it cut very nice.  The flush trim bit I have from MLCS has been used a ton.  I mean I was using that thing for everything, and it still is holding up.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:44:34 pm
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2007, 06:14:16 pm »
I've also not had any trouble with MLCS.  I've built 2 cabs and I used the flush bit for EVERY cut and it still works great.  One cab is made out of plywood and the other is MDF.  I did make sure to only get carbide bits though...

ScottS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2007, 03:17:36 pm »
In the woodworking field, MLCS has a reputation of making cheap bits that are of mediocre quality. One (half) step up from Woodline. Most woodworkers tend to prefer bits from Whiteside, Freud, CMT, or another premium manufacturer...for whatever that's worth.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2007, 06:54:30 pm »
In the woodworking field, MLCS has a reputation of making cheap bits that are of mediocre quality. One (half) step up from Woodline. Most woodworkers tend to prefer bits from Whiteside, Freud, CMT, or another premium manufacturer...for whatever that's worth.

Thats good to know. The gap between me and a serious woodworker is pretty wide. Same with powertools - sure Dewalt and Makita make great tools, but I've been plenty happy with my Black and Decker. Since MLCS has been fine for me - I'd probably order from them again. If I planned on doing much more woodworking, I'd consider something thats considered higher quality.

jmricker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2009, 10:34:13 pm
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2007, 09:02:12 pm »

I have a question too along these lines. I wanted to do some t-molding for my jukebox cabinet and I borrowed a router to practice with. I haven't tried it yet but was a little surprised that there wasn't a guide to help you hold the it straight. Do you simply mark your line down the center and follow it with the router? If so, is it pretty easy to hold the router down that line like a circular saw is?

Thanks
Joel

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2007, 09:26:43 pm »
The guide is the bearing that should be attched the arbor the slot cutting bit is attched to.  The base of the router sits on the top of the wood piece to be routed.  The slot cutter cuts the slot and the bearing prevents it from going any deeper. 

I think you are thinking about something different.  You need to use a slot cutting bit.  Hope that helps.
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2007, 09:36:28 pm »
Heres a shot from Arcadeparadise thanks to sasquatch.

You can find his tutorial at www.arcadeparadise.org

jmricker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2007, 08:41:39 pm »
Thanks acevedor2 and leapinlew, I simply didn't understand how the bit worked. The picture really helped too.

Joel

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2007, 12:45:13 am »
No problem Joel. Let us know if you need any more help.  Cheers.
Ray
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

jmricker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2007, 07:06:41 pm »
Here is another question for you. I have a slot cutter in mind that I want to buy and I want to make sure I've got this figured out correctly.

Here is the t-molding I want to buy from t-molding.com

(specifications for the t-molding are at the bottom)
http://www.t-molding.com/store/product.php?productid=11&cat=25&page=1

The spec says that the slot needs to be 3/32" wide and 5/16" deep.  I've read that people suggest a 3 Wing Slot Cutter so here is what I have in mind:

(midway down the page)
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_slot.html#438

Specifically I want to get item number #5344 which is a 1/4" shank to fit my router, has a slot width of 3/32", and has a cutting depth of 1/2" which is deeper than the required 5/16" but I guess is all right. Am I on the right track here?

Joel

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2007, 07:07:44 pm »
You want a 1/16" slot cut - not a 3/32".

jmricker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2007, 07:14:41 pm »

Is that because of the barbs on the side? You want the slot to be 1/16" smaller than their specified 3/32"?

Joel

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2007, 07:58:21 pm »

Is that because of the barbs on the side? You want the slot to be 1/16" smaller than their specified 3/32"?

Joel

it just doesn't have a snug fit in the 3/32. I use 1/16 and so do most other folks. If I'm wrong I'll buy you a 3/32". :)

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2007, 11:04:55 pm »
Lew is absolutely correct.  It is a 1/16 and I got it from MLCS as well (5341 I believe). Worked great and T-molding fits like a glove.   
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2

ScottS

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2007, 01:38:04 pm »

Err... It looks to me like the specified slot width for the 1/2" T-molding that you linked to is 1/16th of an inch, just like leapinlew said!

btp2k2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2011, 01:02:36 pm
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2007, 04:23:42 pm »
I just bought the cutter directly from T-Molding.com....it was cheap and easy, plus it came complete..no need to worry about upside down installation.....I have used the same cutter on several arcade and non arcade projects and love it.....

jmricker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2007, 04:29:20 pm »

Err... It looks to me like the specified slot width for the 1/2" T-molding that you linked to is 1/16th of an inch, just like leapinlew said!

I was actually going by the little picture at the bottom that showed the width of the spine with barbs to be 3/32". I now see what you are talking about that I should have read that actually says 1/16" at the top with the description.

See, I've read so much about t-molding, routers, and bits that I can't even see the obvious information! :) Thanks

Joel

acevedor2

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2007, 08:21:17 pm »
I just bought the cutter directly from T-Molding.com....it was cheap and easy, plus it came complete..no need to worry about upside down installation.....I have used the same cutter on several arcade and non arcade projects and love it.....

Glad they sent yours complete.  I got mine from them and they sent as two pieces (the arbor and cutter separate) so I had to put it together.

Just remember if that happens to make sure it is going the right way.
Dedicated - Working:
Asteroids Deluxe
Firefox
Galaxian
Pacman
Viruta Fighter 2
Zombie Raid
Pool Sharks - Pinball

Projects:
Pole Position
Pole Position 2