Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME 0111 and Ini Files  (Read 2597 times)

pacman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2007, 09:51:35 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
MAME 0111 and Ini Files
« on: December 25, 2006, 10:37:36 am »
Hi Guys;

First of all, Merry Xmas to everybody. Now here is my issue. I am upgrading to Mame 0.111 on a cab with arcade monitor and ArcadeVGA. Since latest mame versions, there is no more the possibility to create INI files for games using ArcadeVGA tool. I tried many times to configure then the Mame.ini to let him lauch a game to the correct resolution but no luck (image flickering or either not centered). Can someone let me know if there is a new utility compatible with latest Mame release for setting up resolution INI files? ???

Please note that I tried also the mamewah resolution tool but got a type mismatch 13 error on my XP (french version). :banghead:

A little help would be highly appreciated. :notworthy:

Thanks

loganq2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2008, 12:56:40 am
I am having a similar problem!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 09:40:39 pm »
I'm using an ArcadeVGA card and a 1980's 19" arcade monitor mounted vertically, and Mame .111b,  in order to play the old classics such as Pac-man, Astroblaster, Galaxian, etc. and have it running at  60hz vertical sync.

I've found that every resolution I've tried other than 352x288 cause scrolling, and if I adjust for that scrolling, then the 352x288 games scroll when I go back to them.  For instance if I adjust to 512x512 to play Satan's Hollow, I must readjust the vertical sync on my monitor - then back again for Galaxian.

What can I do so that I can play games like Satan's Hollow, Spy Hunter, Gorf, etc. that won't work with 352x288.  And how can I identify and optimize those which I am running at 352x288 which would do better at another resolution?

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
Re: MAME 0111 and Ini Files
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 09:49:47 am »
Pac Man...

How I got around that issue was by installing mame .106...running the resolution tool...generating the INI files...then re-installing the newer version of mame.  The problem with that is that any game supported by mame between .106 and .111 will not have an INI file generated for it.

Loganq2...

You are screwed.  There isn't anything you can do.  Set up your rig to play the games you play most at a resolution that doesn't roll.  Then when you hit one that does (Satans Hollow,  Tron,  etc.)  then you have to adjust.   The best I can get is a perfect picture on most games and a viberating one (not rolling at least) for the Tron/Satans Hollow games....and because I have a remote "controls" module,  it's not difficult to fix the viberations...but then when I go back to my MAMEWAH menu...it's vibrating again and needs to be fixed again.

These monitors are NOT designed to be running ad such a wide variety of resolutions and as such,  have some limitations.
Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

pacman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 10:20:43 am »
Hi FrizzleFried,

I have also considered your temporary solution on creating INI with mame 1.06 but where can i find Mame 1.06? Cannot find a link with mame backups ???

Thanks for your great support.
Pacman

Circo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 03:27:51 am
  • Still using screenshots? Try EmuMovies instead.
    • EmuMovies
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006, 02:08:43 pm »
Here is a link to joy monkey's mame 32 archive, http://www.joymonkey.com/main/index.php?n=MAME32Archives.0100To0109
My Websites

pacman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006, 02:54:26 pm »
Thanks Circo but I forgot to mention that I am using MAME windows command line version (together with mamewah). :P

Thanks if you have another link.

Pacman

Circo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 03:27:51 am
  • Still using screenshots? Try EmuMovies instead.
    • EmuMovies
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 07:36:18 pm »
Thanks Circo but I forgot to mention that I am using MAME windows command line version (together with mamewah). :P

Pacman

You can make the ini files off of mame 32 just fine.  Just make the .ini files ffom 106 and use with any version of mame.
My Websites

Red 5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 08, 2021, 10:30:51 am
  • Do something stupid and we will make you famous
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 08:09:48 pm »

Pacman

Try:

http://www.mame.net/zips/mame0106b.exe

Jon
I accept CASH, Hostages and Gold Krugerrand

loganq2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2008, 12:56:40 am
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 11:42:03 pm »
FrizzleFried: Thanks so much for the great information and for the hard truth about my monitor.

I am totally OK with accepting that my old monitor has some limitations, and Satan's Hollow seems to be one of only a few games at that resolution -- so I can play that on my PC if I need to.

But regarding trying to optimize the other games, I absolutely can not find any resolutions except 352x288 that will run.  I installed mame .106 and ran ArcadeVGARes and none of the 30+ games I had would display with the values that ArcadeVGARes picked for them.

However, if I change the ini files on the games yo 352x288 they display well again.

So, am I limited to 352x288 for every game?  Is there another resolution I should try?  Most of the games I've been running seem to look pretty good at 352x288: Pac-Man, Frogger, Astro Blaster, 1943 and Pheonix.  Gorf displays, but is a little too long.

I understand that different resolutions change the number of pixels that seem to display on my monitor, and I see how that changes the amount of what is shown on the screen.  But I really don't understand how to know what resolutions my arcade monitor can show and what resolutions particular games prefer.  And I don't understand why when I set the resultion to 352x288, many games appear the same size, but then something like Gorf is super-long.   Other than Andy's arcade page, is there somewhere I can look to read up on this?

pacman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 08:37:37 am »
ok guys I have found the ultimate fix to my INI problems. There is an updated avres tools on ultimarc website that supports also newer version of mame from 1.06u12 onwards.

get it here

http://www.ultimarc.com/avres.zip

Thanks anyway for your help

:applaud: