Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Golden tee upgrade and trackball won't work.  (Read 2946 times)

ryanborne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2007, 03:24:09 pm
Golden tee upgrade and trackball won't work.
« on: December 08, 2006, 02:57:02 pm »
Hello, Does anyone know what I have to do to make my trackball work on a golden tee 99 that I am converting from a Strata golden tee 2?  I have the new board plugged in and hooked up the jumper from the board to the trackball.  I also hooked up the -.5 volt wire from my power supply to the correct jamma pin.  I get power to the trackball when I use and eletrical tester, but I get no onscreen response from the trackball.  Is it possible I have a bad PCB?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 04:22:42 pm by ryanborne »

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
Re: Golden tee upgrade and trackball won't work.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 02:58:38 pm »
So when you put it into controls test you get nothing at all as well?  Not even flashes?

ryanborne

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 11:40:09 pm »
Correct.  I have tried all of the trackball outputs, player 1 , 2 and com 1 as well.  I have a new board coming and I will try that.

ryanborne

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 06:54:15 pm »
Just tried a second board and two different trackballs and I still get no reading on screen.  I do get power to the trackball.  Dip switches look right too.  Any ideas?

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 08:20:20 am »
Bad trackball?

Do you have a replacement?

ryanborne

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 05:07:00 pm »
I tried two trackballs and pulled them apart and tested each wire with the ground and I am getting +5 volts dc.  Could both be wired wrong, also, on the test screen when I test the buttons they light up on screen, but when I test the trackball there is nothing.  Maybe I just need to order a new Happ trackball.

Drews Arcade

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2018, 01:15:02 am
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 05:42:42 pm »
You said you are converting it from a strata GT 2, did these trackballs work on that game?

ryanborne

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 06:35:09 pm »
yes, the Wico was the original, It still works if I plug in the strata gt II board.  I'm missing something in the translation.  The wires look right and seem to be standard trackball wiring.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2006, 06:44:25 pm »
yes, the Wico was the original, It still works if I plug in the strata gt II board.  I'm missing something in the translation.  The wires look right and seem to be standard trackball wiring.

Did you check the schematics for each game ? (I dont have one for GT2, so can't confirm).

Cheers
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

ryanborne

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 05:44:40 pm »
I've tried two boards and two trackballs and the wiring corresponds.  It is a pretty standard trackball hookup.  Just can't understand how both boards could work properly and no trackball response.  Can anyone think of anything I'm overlooking?  I even ran a -.5 v line to the jamma harness just in case.  Buttons work right, and dip switches are set correctly.  Thanks for the help!

woodygjw

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2012, 09:33:59 pm
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 10:30:51 pm »
Where does the trackball plug into on the strata board?  Does it go through the JAMMA connector, or does it have its own connector?  I know on my Golden Tee 99, the trackball plugs into a seperate connector on the board, labeled player 1.  If the strata board goes though the JAMMA connector then I bet that is your problem.   I am not familar with the strata board though, maybe its the same.   

woody

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2006, 01:46:17 am »
I have now seen pinouts for GT and GT99 with the trackball off of the JAMMA harness, but the pinouts are different:

http://mikesarcade.com/cgi-bin/spies.cgi?action=url&type=pinout&page=Golden_Tee.html

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF%20Arcade%20Manuals%20and%20Schematics/Golden%20Tee%2099-2K-Classic%20Manual.pdf

I gave away my GT boards that had the trackball go through the harness, so no longer have documentation there, but that could certainly be the case ... except OP says "pretty standard trackball hookup" and "wiring corresponds"  ... althuogh I wouldn't be so sure 'coz stuff sure ain't working!

Cheers.
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

ryanborne

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 05:56:48 pm »
Thanks for the help, the trackball on the strata gtII was wired through the jamma harness on the directional wires.  When I first got the GT99 I hooked it up to the harness and the trackball didn't work, so I bought the cable that goes from the jp7 player 1 pinouts on the GT99 board directly to the trackball.  That is where I am at now, no response in any direction to the trackball, but an electrical tester on the contacts of the trackball registers +5v dc.