Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: So, what's the deal with Maximus Arcade?  (Read 47356 times)

squirrellydw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2021, 11:30:22 am
Re: So, what's the deal with Maximus Arcade?
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2006, 09:10:14 am »
I tried GameEX but got inpatient waiting for the nag screen to go away every time I made a change.  Even if the nag screen was shorter I still wouldn't use it just because I don't like the way it looks.  I then tried a bought MA and use it.  I also like Atomic.  I just wish Atomic was as easier to setup like GameEX or MA, not that its hard just not as easy.

Oh, and I do agree that MA is not being updated as quickly as GameEX but most software isn't updated that quickly.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 09:12:21 am by squirrellydw »
I b**ch. People listen!!

screaming

• Sweet! I'mma go make me some popovers!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2019, 03:15:34 pm
  • Registered lUser
    • shift eight (*) generation
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2006, 09:30:17 am »
There is nothing "wrong" with any way the developer chooses to market his own software, as long as it's legal. If I make a program and charge an exorbitant amount of money for it, that's my right as the owner of the software.

No one would use it never mind buy it, but it's still my decision and my right to choose what I charge.

On the other hand, it's "wrong" because it doesn't make a good business practice to charge insanely large sums of money for a program that doesn't give back "insanely large sums of money"-worth off something (like time, for example).  But either way, as the author of the software it is my right to do what I want with it.

Now in context, if GameEx charges $25 for its software and people feel they are getting $25 worth because it saves them time and aggravation on something they don't feel all too comfortable doing (like setting up a front end in general), then GameEx will succeed in charging its customers $25.

As a proponent of free software and free ideas, and as someone who is fully capable of developing my own front end should I chose, I will not pay $25 for GameEx because I will not get $25 worth out of it. $10 or $15, maybe, but not $25. (..and like I said, that's coming from someone who can - and has - written my own front end, 2 years ago, capable of many of the advanced features available today)

I wouldn't mind seeing the author of GameEx chiming in on this thread to hear what classification he applies to his program. No matter what y'all say or think, it's his program and if he mis-classifies it as something "more consumer friendly" than it is (like 'freeware' when it's really 'shareware'), then it will reflect on the type of person he is.  ..And that would be someone I would not want to support, nor be a proponent for.

Oh, and no fair making up your own lame classification like "gameex-ware", "userware", or "sponsorware".

NinjaEpisode

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2019, 06:47:45 pm
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2006, 09:54:26 am »
Back on Topic:  So what's the deal with Maximus Arcade?

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2006, 10:29:35 am »
I'm not the only one who calls it free software. I show you a review of GameEx from a 3rd party who is more qualified to say what type of software he is reviewing.

You're apparently not "qualified" to determine who is qualified... Please list his qualifications, and why they are superior. Looks like he just installed the software and configured it, JUST LIKE ANYONE ELSE WOULD. I think the main problem you have, is that not everyone here takes the same approach as the reviewer, doing a lame review saying "Cons: Hmmm, can’t think of any." Come on, no software is perfect. There are always things that could be improved, or done better. That was a completely biased review - which you are ok with. The moment anyone says anything of a critical nature, you are all over them.

:lame:

I can think of a couple things about GameEx that may be a con:

• Large install (70MB, plus themes) Bloatware?
  • Poor selection of themes (only 8 available on the website)
  • Of the themes that are available, they take up too much disk space
    (Tron - 52MB.. for a theme???? That's 75% of the program install ! ! !)
  • Requires .Net framework
  • Requires a relatively fast pc

We can argue semantics all day, but the consensus here is that GameEx is not freeware. In my opinion it is crippleware. Yes, it is free to use forever, but you will get a reduced functionality version, and a hella annoying, overly long nag screen. There is nothing wrong with that, Tom has every right to charge for it, and market it how he sees fit: his software is very well programmed, well documented, updated frequently, and well supported. But we're not children here, and just because you say a thing doesn't make it so.

Anyhow.. what is the deal with Maximus Arcade?

;D

Buddabing

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2015, 02:51:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2006, 10:56:50 am »
Yeah, I disliked the Retroblast review of GameEx, too. It reminded me of some of the reviews on Tom's Hardware. Fluff pieces written by fanboys. James made a bad mistake publishing that one, I wonder if he actually read the thing. IMO it really damaged RB's reputation as far as software goes.

And the deal with Maximus Arcade is that is is commercial software and people don't want to pay for it. Which is kind of shortsighted IMO. People pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for hardware and don't want to pay $25 for GameEx or Maximus! Ridiculous!
I have changed my nickname to "Cakemeister". Please do not PM the Buddabing account because I do not check it anymore.

Please read the wiki!

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2006, 02:14:42 pm »
I don't care if your critical of GameEx, it's when you say things that arn't true that makes me want to reply to you.

For a while you were beating down GameEx because it looked like MCE despite the fact it has themes. Now your saying it's shareware despite the fact it's free. I never said it was freeware so I don't know where you even got that from. It's quite clear to me it's nagware, but it is still free software.

Of the cons you listed; large install, poor selection of themes, requires .NET framework, requires a relatively fast PC etc. To me all of these don't effect someone with decent hardware. And to have a decent cab that runs all the games, you need a decent machine. .NET is here to stay I'm afraid, alot of coders on Windows are moving towards it because you can get more done in a shorter amount of time. With the Mame ROM set around 15 Gig, I'd be suprised if most cab owners don't have at least a 200GB HDD. So I hardly expect it to be an issue unless you have an old PC. If you do have an old PC, by all means go for a leaner FE like Mala, MameWah or Atomic. A reviewer should not expect the standard user to have a sub standard machine. There are cons with GameEx, I just don't think size should be one of them. And GameEx will run on a PIII machine, but that would be about the minimum. It uses DirectDraw so much of it's speed is dependent on the video card, like most other FE's. BTW There are more themes too, they are available for download in the Setup Wizard or from the theme site.

I think he should have put in some cons in the review, like the long nag screen, and if this was commercial software I think he would have more cons. But he states that "GameEx is a labor of love", which I think it is. So he has reviewed it based on that fact.

I really do think we need to give this thread back to the original author... so back to the Maximus Arcade debate.

And the deal with Maximus Arcade is that is is commercial software and people don't want to pay for it. Which is kind of shortsighted IMO. People pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for hardware and don't want to pay $25 for GameEx or Maximus! Ridiculous!

That raises another interesting point. I had no problem forking out for the reg fee for GameEx. Alot of other people don't seem to mind either. And considering the amount of time and money I put into my cab, it was nothing. If Tom continues to support his FE the way he has in the past, then I think my money has already gone a long way.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 02:20:09 pm by headkaze »

FrizzleFried

• no one listens to me anyway.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2023, 01:14:24 pm
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2006, 02:44:57 pm »
....hmmm...I paid $20.00 for MAMEWAH which is a 100% completely free program...

...it's called a DONATION to a WORTHY CAUSE.

Visit my arcade blog at: www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated 10-28-21)

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2006, 03:34:41 pm »
I don't care if your critical of GameEx, it's when you say things that arn't true that makes me want to reply to you.
Nice general statement, however incorrect - I originally spoke of the free frontends. I mean, really free. Fully free. So free that every freaking thing works. For free. No registration. No donation. Free. Completely and really free. You know, like I can use this and not pay anything free. Not I need to pay to get a regkey hack so everything works free. So my statement was correct. You just get pissed when someone doesn't do a fanboy review like the one on Retroblast.

For a while you were beating down GameEx because it looked like MCE despite the fact it has themes.
Still does look like MCE - virtually all of the whopping 8 themes available for download have a big screaming Windowsish "Start" in them. Yes I can customize, yes I can create my own, but that is the first impression.

Now your saying it's shareware despite the fact it's free. I never said it was freeware so I don't know where you even got that from. It's quite clear to me it's nagware, but it is still free software.
According to your definition so graciously quoted below:

Freeware: Legally obtainable software that you may use at no cost, monetary or otherwise, for as long as you wish.

Riddle me this: can I use GameEx at no cost, monetary or otherwise, for as long as I wish? I believe you said it is free. Didn't you see the review on Retroblast? I don't think you are qualified to tell me what GameEx is. I would personally classify it as free crippleware, if we really want to start discussing semantics.

Of the cons you listed; large install, poor selection of themes, requires .NET framework, requires a relatively fast PC etc. To me all of these don't effect someone with decent hardware. And to have a decent cab that runs all the games, you need a decent machine. .NET is here to stay I'm afraid, alot of coders on Windows are moving towards it because you can get more done in a shorter amount of time. With the Mame ROM set around 15 Gig, I'd be suprised if most cab owners don't have at least a 200GB HDD. So I hardly expect it to be an issue unless you have an old PC. If you do have an old PC, by all means go for a leaner FE like Mala, MameWah or Atomic. A reviewer should not expect the standard user to have a sub standard machine.
All the time here on the forum we see someone ask what the minimum specs are on a version of Mame, or what would be required to just run the classics. There are a lot of old pcs just sitting in someones basement, and people would like to reuse them to get a basic machine up and running, or restore a classic where the boards are fried, etc. Not everyone is going to buy a new pc, etc to load up Mame. Granted, many do - but these are valid cons, and should be covered in a fair and balanced review of a product.

Why do you think that there are so many people interested in getting Windows stripped down to the point where only the minimum services are running? Perhaps this is a valid concern, even if Microsoft wants to ram .Net down everyone's throat.

BTW There are more themes too, they are available for download in the Setup Wizard or from the theme site.
True, but even so the amount of themes doesn't even scratch the surface of what Mamewah and AtomicFE have to offer - a proper review should accurately evaluate a products strengths and weaknesses - not just say Hmmm, can't think of any.

I think he should have put in some cons in the review, like the long nag screen, and if this was commercial software I think he would have more cons. But he states that "GameEx is a labor of love", which I think it is. So he has reviewed it based on that fact.
I agree with the nag screen - at the very least that should have been included. The labor of love statement, in my mind, invalidates the review: it should be objective, not subjective. He was obviously biased from the start. If anything, I would not call that a review, it is more like a product description.

Sorry Dazz for the hijack - just had to answer those points.

On the subject of Maximus - themes are also another consideration: I personally have zero talent when it comes to artwork, and a wider variety of theme selection is a consideration when I am looking at front ends. Granted, the default ones are very slick, and smoothly animated - but I would like to see some different options, especially considering that it is commercial software.

lingpanda

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 16, 2010, 01:43:52 pm
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2006, 03:38:50 pm »
GameEx with the nag screen is fully functional as a FE.  I debated between MA and GE.  I finally decided on GE. This was after months of use of GE with the nag screen.  The only downside to the nag screen is when you make changes to the FE it pops up every time.  That is a big con. But now with the setup wizard you are able to verify your setup with out starting GE. Makes things much easier for the trial user.  I wanted a FE that would do more then just display game names and start the emu. I found it in GE.   MA is a good FE but not worth paying for imo. I group it with Mala, Atomic and Mamewah. Even though those a free.  On a side note. Paying $25 for a FE is nothing when you have kids to care for.  ;D

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2006, 03:47:24 pm »
Lurcked around Maximus Arcade:

The config is clearly simple and easy (much easier than say mamewah), the only problem I really find is number of games shown (why I diddent test it so much). There are no filter to choose there, and it say it only filter out nonworking games.

I would wich to use a much more creative use of catver.ini to filter out games and use it to select a category, and then launch it.

This mean you would got a lots games on the main list without anyfilter. Not good for a large collection, since it painfull to scroll all games with a joystick. A category display would been a lots easier and better.

Maybe I should add a request to the author on his homepage?

But, if you want to play around 50-200 or so, you can find them, and add them to a favorit list. You can so play them from there. Here this frontend is really really good doing that.

BTW, I diddent test it with  mame yet, only with some console emulator.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 03:55:23 pm by Space Fractal / Denmark »
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 10:34:39 am
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2006, 08:11:44 pm »
Wow, I really wasn't expecting this thread to turn into a FE war...

I've used many many front ends on my cabinet.  I didn't care for GameEX as it felt like more bloat and sluggish.  Granted the last time I used it was back in the early stages.  I love MAMEWah and used it for a long time, but every time I would turn around my configs were screwed up by my kids hitting buttons on my controller.  I tried Atomic and several others before coming across Maximus Arcade.  I installed Maximus and used it for the 30 days without any problems at all and its ease of use for my kids and friends that come over and play.  After the 30 day trial was up I determined that it was a GREAT front end, but you had to pay for it.  I thought $25 would be worth it since I have nearly 250,000 games on my cabinet and most of them were free.  The $25 to keep me from having to redo my MAMEWah configs, setup wrappers for VirtuaPin and other emulators, every few days was WELL worth the purchase price.  At first I wasn't going to purchase since VirtuaPin and Future Pin used the same setup and I couldn't have both setup at the same time.  I made a simple request on their forums to break VirtuaPin and Future into two separate entries and all is well now.

Setting up the emulators is a no-brainer in MA.  Batch files or .lnk files can be used for PC games.  The MP3 player is great and I've even configured the media player in it to run Karaoke songs that are listed just like games in an emulator are.  Exiting the emulator isn't mapped by default.  If you go into the config you can map keys to exit the emulator if you want to.  Since I really don't want anyone accessing my hard drive from my control panel I don't map my exit controls.  More game filters would be a very nice addon to Maximus.  However I honestly don't have an issue scrolling through a bunch of games as sometimes I'll pass something that I completely forgot about.  Plus I have buttons mapped to move up/down a letter at a time, moving player 1 joy left/right will move up/down a page at a time, and up/down on the joy will scroll 1 game at a time.  So finding games isn't really that hard or time consuming if you map all of the shortcut keys.  I also can have buttons on a USB Playstation 2 controllers mapped at the same time so moving around the FE can be done using the control panel or the PS2 controllers.  If you actually spend some time in the config and see exactly what it can do you may be a little impressed...

I have nothing against any other FE and I appreciate all the work that the authors have done.  If you haven't spent some time with Maximus Arcade then I highly suggest to give it the 30 day trial.  It's not for everyone, but for those of us that need something user friendly for children or not so savvy older friends this FE is a Godsend.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 08:20:40 pm by Dazz »

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2006, 08:32:27 pm »
It was more than "ware game" about GameEX to starting with. No more about it.

Yes letter scroll help a lots to find games to find and play. I must take a deeper shot on that this one (im a also a Mamewah fan, and is used it about 2-3 years).

The most down side with MA, is not really a issue at all:
It may not work so good with my own jukebox app, since you cannot made costume emulators.

A Jukebox software is not a game, but a app, and should launch as it own. Maybe it should been a replacement for the inbuild player (Simply because I want to use my own), so I could choose my own player as a mp3 (like it was run as a pc game).

Hence a another request as this is not really a issue.

Yes it a good frondend for childs, simply and good.
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2006, 08:47:23 pm »
People pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for hardware and don't want to pay $25 for GameEx or Maximus! Ridiculous!

I would be more likely to make a $50 donation (and I may have done  ;))  for a FE than be forced to pay anything..

But that could be just me? A lot of work has been put into MAME and that is free. It just does not seem right somehow. :dunno

So, what's the deal with Maximus Arcade?  It looks good to me
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 08:53:40 pm by loadman »

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2006, 10:27:57 pm »
I have nearly 250,000 games on my cabinet

Wow! Does Maximus have a search feature? And are all the games listed properly? i.e. game name, not rom name?

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2006, 02:58:34 am »
I just wrote a long reply to Havok, but I deleted it because I think we've all had enough of this GameEx debate. I tried to end it before by saying lets agree to disagree, but if I don't try to end it now by ignoring Havok's last post it will end up being a typical long and boring FE argument that goes noowhere.

I disagree with youki's philosophy that competition is good for the scene. I really don't think it is because I see evidence to the contrary. The Mala guys have helped me and I have helped them to make our cabs better. That's the bottom line, were in a hobby together. We should be supporting each other instead of arguing over "semantics" as Havok likes to put it. Atomic uses a wrapper I wrote, MameWah uses volume code by me, Mala has plugin's that I've sent code to help loadman with, and GameEx has some of my work in it also. It wouldn't suprise me if most cabs out there have something I've written on them.

I like working with other developers and I don't care if it's another FE. I think the Mala guys are great - loadman. swindus, edge and I think MinWah is great, I only wish that Youki and Hovok got along with me as well as the others. And this is all about you guys having a distaste for the way Tom wishes to distribute his software. In actual fact it has nothing to do with me, it's his choice, but it would be nice if you guys would support GameEx like you do the others. Like that message in the LEDWiz dll docs youki wrote, that's just mean spirited. Let's try and work together shall we? Have some peace in this hobby we all love.

People pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for hardware and don't want to pay $25 for GameEx or Maximus! Ridiculous!

I would be more likely to make a $50 donation (and I may have done  ;))  for a FE than be forced to pay anything..

But that could be just me? A lot of work has been put into MAME and that is free. It just does not seem right somehow. :dunno

So, what's the deal with Maximus Arcade?  It looks good to me

That's all good and well loadman, but you are a rare breed. I know alot of aussies like you, but it is rare to see this sort of thing on the Internet. I often see posts from people in trouble and the first thing you do is offer to send them software, or help out in some way (and often offer help at your own expense). If only there were more people like loadman around.

That being said, you would donate $50 to someone who encourages donations but dosn't use an obtrusive nag screen. Unfortunately the majority of people are so busy, and in a way selfish, they don't even think to donate. Like all the pirate software out there, they think that all software should be free. Well that's a shame, and I guess a problem that many programmers face. If more people were like loadman we wouldn't need nag screens, we wouldn't need to remind people to donate.

People often bring up about Mame being free. I think we should all donate to the Mame guys first before anything. In fact it would be nice to see some of the FE donations going to Mame.

Anyway, it's supposed to be my birthday, so I'm going to post this message in the hope that we can try to make some peace.

Popcorrin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 11:11:43 am
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2006, 03:17:48 am »
Well said headkaze.

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2006, 03:56:17 am »
In the spirit of peace, happy birthday Headkaze - we have our different ideals, but let's put that aside.

:cheers:

So, have I given you any gray hairs yet?

;D
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 04:00:44 am by Havok »

youki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 19, 2016, 01:07:33 pm
  • Atomic Front End Creator
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2006, 04:25:03 am »
That being said, you would donate $50 to someone who encourages donations but dosn't use an obtrusive nag screen. Unfortunately the majority of people are so busy, and in a way selfish, they don't even think to donate. Like all the pirate software out there, they think that all software should be free. Well that's a shame, and I guess a problem that many programmers face. If more people were like loadman we wouldn't need nag screens, we wouldn't need to remind people to donate.

I don't have any Nagscreen , and i don't force user to give me something for Atomic , and therefore i have lot of donation and even few than more than 100$ !!! (i even asked the donator if it was not a mistyping in paypal!!).
I have surely less donation than GameEX but at least i know that user give money because they love my FE and not because they were forced by a nagscreen or limitation.  until now, donation have been  enough to cover my Atomic cost , it is all what i wish.

Like that message in the LEDWiz dll docs youki wrote

Concerning that, i have already stated on my position here :

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=59093.msg584690#msg584690

Atomic uses a wrapper I wrote

Not Atomic itself ,  a module done by a contributor use a wrapper you wrote.  (Angelscry's Dreamcast plug'n play module).  

Andas i just see Havok message.   Happy Birthay Headkaze  :cheers:  (I offer you a Free License for Atomic if you wish!  ;) )

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2010, 05:53:51 pm
    • CPViewer
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2006, 07:43:15 am »

I'm glad I finally got a chance to chime in on this thread. This is the best point I've seem so far. I am not surprised it came from an author of software himself and I couldn't agree more. Most people spend a lot of money, at least a few hundred dollars minimum, probably much more, on their cabinets and then ---smurfette--- about $20 for the software to run the entire thing. Being a hack author myself I made a decision to give back to the community what I could, for free. However, I have no problem paying for software or contributing to websites. I have donated to places like [romsite name redacted] and No-Intro Screenshot Archive so we could continue to use their provided services. I also have no problems paying for emulators such as MagicEngine. 15 or 20 dollars to play an entire platform of games is a real bargain, IMHO. If you place a value on my time I would Imagine I've spend a few thousand dollars on MameWAH by now. :)

All that being said, I can see how some people on a tight budget, in school or with families, may have an issue. However, there are at least five or six decent FE's available and they certainly can find one for free that should meet their needs.

John
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:14:15 am by PL1 »

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2006, 08:59:43 am »
Happy Birthday Mr HeadKaze

Are you trying to hit on me now?  :laugh2:

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2006, 09:42:13 am »
I have nearly 250,000 games on my cabinet

Wow! Does Maximus have a search feature? And are all the games listed properly? i.e. game name, not rom name?
There isn't an actual search feature, but having buttons mapped to move up/down a letter, left/right to move up/down a page at a time, and a favorites list.  It really isn't that hard to find what I'm looking for.  Of course the 250,000 games aren't all listed on one list as they are spread out to almost every rom for every system that can be emulated.  The games are all listed in MAME correctly including rom version numbers.  Almost all of my other sets have been Offline Verified and renamed so their rom names all look normal on the lists. 

screaming

• Offline Offline
  • Registered lUser
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2006, 09:54:44 am »
I think we should all donate to the Mame guys first before anything. In fact it would be nice to see some of the FE donations going to Mame.

This is the most contextual, intelligent couple of statements in this thread so far.

Are the owners of GameEx and MA giving back to the emulator creators, monetarily?

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2006, 10:47:08 am »
Thanks everyone! Appreciate it :)

Makes me feel good when everyone comes together  ;D

screaming: I will ask Tom about that, it would be nice to get some of the donations to the Mame guys. I will e-mail him when he's back from holidays. I will mention the skip for the nag screen too. I know Tom dosn't code his FE for money.

loadman: I have a g/f but I would set you up with my sister any day (she's a swimsuit model) ;)

Havok: I know we havn't always seen eye to eye, but lets let water under the bridge and make 2007 a year we can all work together. I have grey hair but I doubt it's from you ;)

Youki: Cheers for the free licence even if your software is freeware ;) If only I had another cab to install it on. That might be a cool new project for me next year, I've always wanted a coctail cabinet. Or maybe another full size cab, not sure if I have the space though!

jcrouse: I'm not ignoring you I will e-mail you soon about the wrapper for OSWAN soon, just very bust at the moment!

Peace out and lets have a Merry Xmas, Happy New Year. Cheers to all my friends in the scene!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 11:22:55 am by headkaze »

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2006, 12:10:05 pm »
250,000?  Is that a typo?  250,000?  Considering the entire mame collection is a measly 6,300 or so,  i'd be interested in just what the other 244,000 cames are.   Even if you took all Atari roms,  all Sega roms,  all roms period I have my doubts that there would be 150,000 let alone 250,000.   

Did you mean 25,000?  That would still be impressive...

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2006, 12:26:19 pm »
I think you can have 250 000 roms .. if you have :

All Commodore 64 games
All Atari XL/XE games
All Apple2 Games
All Amiga Games
All Amstrad CPC games
All Atari ST
All NES
ALL SNES
ALL MASTER SYSTEM
ALL GAMEBOY 
ALL NEOGEO SP
ALL etc...

If you have all game for all machine emulated , i think you could read 250 000 or even more...  in addition if you include PC Games ... 

If you consider only the 6 first of my list, i think you already reach 60 000 or more...

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2010, 05:53:51 pm
    • CPViewer
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2006, 12:32:46 pm »
I agree with Youki. With the systems he lists, especially Commodore, 250,000 would easily be reachable.

John

Dazz

• Offline Offline
  • HyperSpin Team
    • VPUniverse
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2006, 12:40:08 pm »
250,000?  Is that a typo?  250,000?  Considering the entire mame collection is a measly 6,300 or so,  i'd be interested in just what the other 244,000 cames are.   Even if you took all Atari roms,  all Sega roms,  all roms period I have my doubts that there would be 150,000 let alone 250,000.   

Did you mean 25,000?  That would still be impressive...

250,000 is a very rough estimate...

I've never actually taken time to count everything up.  Actualy, I think 250,000 is still a bit low...  The complete worldwide NES collection alone is close to 8,000 roms (I think as I'm not anywhere near my cabinet right now so I can't see).  Tossing in PSP (800+), NDS (800+), GB (1200+), GBC (600+), GBA (1500+), Virtua Boy, Wonderswan and even more obscure systems makes the 250,000 actually seem pretty low.  I could still be way off, but 25,000 is definitely way too low.  Hell my PS1 collection right now is nearing 1,000 CD's, Xbox is about 400, Gamecube close to 120, 200+ PS2 games and many other systems... 

Granted some of those can't be played on my MAME cabinet, but they are in my collections.  What can I say... I just like collecting ROMs & CD images even though I'll never play 90% of them.  I have almost 1.5tb of space on my MAME cabinet right now that is nearly full.  I'm just glad that I don't really care for music as I would hate to see what my mp3 collection would look like.

I think I went slightly overboard in my collecting...

BTW - Commodore 64 was "THE" machine.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 12:44:22 pm by Dazz »

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2006, 12:43:38 pm »
I stand corrected...

...and to think how much time I spend sorting through my 6300+ MAME ROMS...I couldn't imagine 250,000...

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2006, 12:49:56 pm »
I just calculated, if you have 250 000 game and you play each game only for 5 minutes and if you NEVER sleep, NEVER eat , NEVER  stop .  You will spend about 2,4 years in the front of your cab!  ;D 

screaming

• Offline Offline
  • Registered lUser
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2006, 01:25:29 pm »
I just calculated, if you have 250 000 game and you play each game only for 5 minutes and if you NEVER sleep, NEVER eat , NEVER  stop .  You will spend about 2,4 years in the front of your cab!  ;D 

What's wrong with that?  ???    ::)  :)

Havok

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2006, 10:36:00 am »

Oh, don't start that - I had an Atari 800. You want to really see the posts fly?

;D

youki

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic Front End
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2006, 12:34:01 pm »

Oh, don't start that - I had an Atari 800. You want to really see the posts fly?

;D

I had a C64  , i think it is really THE BEST machine !  ;D

But later i bought an Atari XL (for my collections) , and i discover this machine. And i felt in love!
I think the Atari was even better then the c64 on lot of point (not all..), but unfortunaly the hardware has not been really exploited.  I started few time ago to program a new game for Atari XL. I hope one day i will find time to finish that project.   But it is a very good machine.

I discover recently MSX computer too. I knew them but i always considered it as not really interresting. But in fact , they are fabulous. Not the hardware which is not as good than a C64 or AtariXL i think  (i spoke about MSX 1)  , but the GAMES !  They are lot of richer than what we can find on other machine.  there is some very good RPG , some crazy shoot them up.    and other game really original.   I think it is the first machine to have  Puyo Puyo for instance, or Metal Gear Solid.   Other machine didn't have this kind of game.  Unfurtonaly on MSX scrolling are very bad... but i love it too!

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
    • MaLa
« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2006, 05:38:37 pm »
I had a C64  , i think it is really THE BEST machine ! 

Memories  :)   

:o  New Thread alert

tspeirs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2020, 07:44:52 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2007, 04:16:00 pm »
Just like to add seven things. Then someone please lock the thread, as its very easy for people to say stuff here that they would not dare or even want to say to my face if they new me.

1. Buying or using GameEx is completely optional. Yes really, its not the law!

2. Con could imply illegal, such as saying it does something  that is not correct, illegal, not offering refunds, conning people.

3. I had no input into the Retroblast review.

4. I feel I can comfortably say more money, time and resources is spent and invested into GameEx then any other front end on the planet. Its the way I want to run the project, and I think it works.

5. GameEx has not been profitable as of yet.

6. The donation price of £14 here in the UK, would barely buy me a large pizza.

7. XBOX 360 games retail for about $80 dollars in the UK.

EDIT: One more thing, if its not obvious, I developed GameEx for the scene, and consider myself part of it. I did it for fun, but it got too good (IMHO), ended up taking too much of my time and cost to much for me to keep paying for everyone who wanted to use it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 04:32:40 pm by tspeirs »

squirrellydw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2007, 06:20:12 pm »
Way to bring back a two week old thread.  Anything I say here I would say to your face.  I personally don't like GameEx, to windowish, but that's my opinion and plenty of people like it so that's fine.  My question is why are you talking about this now when everyone has moved on and off the subject?  You wanna charge for your FE that is fine, when I tried it I couldn't stand the nag screen always popping up when I wanted to change something, maybe that changed but it's to late for me.  From what I saw when I did  play around with it was a nice looking FE that I can till you but a lot of time into but I didn't like the looks of it.  Just my opinion.
I b**ch. People listen!!

tspeirs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2020, 07:44:52 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2007, 06:24:29 pm »
Yeah actually my bad, didnt realise it was two weeks old as Ive been away. I guess I shot myself in the foot there.

squirrellydw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2007, 06:36:18 pm »
LOL, no biggie.
I b**ch. People listen!!

FrizzleFried

• Offline Offline
    • Idaho Garagecade
« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2007, 01:17:03 pm »
TSpeirs:

I don't think anyone here was specifically bad mouthing your software....but rather pointing out why it didn't work for THEM.

I too tried your software...and MALA...and decided to stick with MAMEWah.   That said,  I had already put in quite a bit of work in to MAMEWah and didn't want to have to go through the same BS again.

clok

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2018, 10:58:39 pm
  • I can play PacMan till the screen splits!
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2009, 05:13:07 pm »

;D

sorry off topic (wow an old thread, was fun to read and see the pixels fly).

AMIGA 500 RULED!  but before it the c-64 (heck the vic-20) where pretty good, still have all my old computers, from my Trash-80, vic, c-64, the heathkit one(you built it yourslef, forget name), atari 400, TI99/4A (otherwise know as ahead of its time if you could afford a sound card that cost more then the computer, which went in a box that cost more then both of them combined), atari ST, Amiga 3000 (ya I hung on till the end), etc... some more I'm missing.. still fire up the Amiga every now and then and play WALKER.

CLok