Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: is OSB in a Playchoice cab original?  (Read 1731 times)

rockin_rick

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2017, 09:20:20 am
is OSB in a Playchoice cab original?
« on: May 24, 2007, 06:52:58 pm »
I got a Playchoice cab that has a lot of OSB as parts of it.  Did these ever come built with OSB?  The sides and front are particle board, but the bottom, top, back, monitor shelfs, coin box are all OSB.  My initial reaction was that these were all just replacement pieces, but looking at it more, I'm not sure.  The monitor shelfs are routed into the sides, along with the bottom back, and the back door stops.

Thanks,
Rick
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 07:00:39 pm by rockin_rick »
If I do not respond to your post in a timely manner, feel free to PM me.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
Re: is OSB in a Playchoice cab original?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 04:01:41 am »
They probably just ran short of the normal wood and used that. I have seen a few nintendo cabinets that were not consistent in the wood used. I had one once that had a coin door panel that had been cut down from a side panel (had the coloring on the inside, but a different color than the rest of the cabinet).
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

tba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2010, 12:27:08 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 05:42:13 am »
i have the same cab (from the looks of it) mine is a Vs. Nintendo supersystem cab... and it looks IDENTICAL to yours! the top ,bottom and everything inside is OSB and the sides and front are particleboard.

yours looks to be in about as good shape as mine was as well. took me 2 years of work on and off, but just finished mine last week. weeeee  :applaud: it runs Mame from and old machine and i have a 26" TV mounted vertically for a display.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 05:47:38 am by tba »

rockin_rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 11:38:46 am »
Thanks for the info, guys.  I don't feel like it's such a frankensteined POS now.  Just a normal POS.  :)

tba - I would like to see some pics of your tv setup, do you already have a project thread or pics posted somewhere?

Thanks,
Rick

tba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 03:07:22 pm »
actually i don't... i didn't find out about this place until i had already started my project.

but i'll take some pics and put them up.

tba

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 03:23:56 pm »
here is some pics  :pics of the decased TV from the front (with monitor glass in place) and the back showing the mounting bracket i made from some u channel that i picked up from home depot.

if you look right below the TV you can see a tangle of all red wires that is my truly ugly KB hack  :-[

the circut board to the left of the pic is the TV guts that i screwed to the wall of the cab.

note the use of cable ties for most everything... i think half my cab is being held together by them.

i hope that helps, let me know if you want to see any more.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 03:30:47 pm by tba »

rockin_rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 11:23:37 pm »
Thanks, you don't need to take more (for me).  I was just curious!

Rick