Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Disney Quest 5/27/07 Visit  (Read 2833 times)

97thruhiker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2014, 01:55:30 pm
Disney Quest 5/27/07 Visit
« on: May 28, 2007, 03:15:10 pm »
Just returned from Disney and Disney Quest.  This was my first visit to the "virtual amusement park" and I have to admit that I really enjoyed myself.  Unfortunately I did not bring my camera so I have no pictures to post.

I was hesitant to drop the $36 to enter (well $32 because I have season passes to Disney so the gave me a whole $4 discount) considering some of the webpages I looked up prior to going talking about the condition of the games.  After going I think it was well worth the price and overall the games were in pretty good condition except for a few controls issues.

Well, lets go down the list from my memory.  The following classic games could be played: Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Burgertime, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, Luner Lander, Moon Patrol, QBert, Elevator Action, Tron, Discs of Tron, Star Wars Empire Strikes Back, Galaga, Pac Man, Mrs Pac Man, Galaxian, Robotron 2084, Centipede, Joust, Millipede, Missle Command, Kangaroo, Space Invaders, Marble Madness, Zaxxon, Karate Champ, Gorf, Dig Dug, Super Pac Man, and probably another 10-15 classic games that I can't recall right now.  It was fun playing these games again in an arcade environment with all of the sounds and people crowding around the machines.  It was a little dissappointing (and old feeling) when I was playing Robotron next to the Lunar Lander machine and listened to the responses of the teens to the game as none of them could figure out what you were suppose to do with the space ship.  It was nice putting up the high scores on Donkey Kong, Galaga, and Qbert.  Something I could not do back in the day.

Outside of the classic games I played the pinballs the most.  They only had a handfull and wish they put more of those in.  The ones I played were RollerCoaster Tycoon, Simpsons Pinball Party, Pirates of the Carribiean, Ripley's Believe it or Not and NASCAR.  Outside of these they had entire rooms made up for the newer racing and sports games including the Daytona Series, Crazy Taxi, Need for Speed Underground, Mario Kart, and a few others I don't recall.  The had a bunch of those huge skateboarding, jetski, snow mobile, atv, boxing, motorcycles, skiing, star wars racer video machines as well as a few of the newer Afterburner series.  They also had this flight sim game that looked pretty cool but did not play it.  Tons of sports games including the Madden Series, NBA games, soccer games, Golden Tee's, and some cool bowling games.  The had a whole wall of Jumo Safaris (love that game).  All kinds of redemption style games that you would find at Chuckie Cheese (and many I have not seen), air hockey tables, skee ball, etc.

Along with all of the video games they had a bunch of interactive things to do which I did not participate in as I went by myself (daughter stayed with wife back at hotel pool), a resturant and snack bar.

I really enjoyed myself there and spent probably 6 hours total.  Could of stayed longer but needed to get back to the family.  If you going to Disney/Orlando and have the opportunity I recommend giving Disney Quest a go.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 09:33:26 pm by 97thruhiker »

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
Re: Disney Quest 5/27/07 Visit
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 05:33:57 pm »
Thanks for the review.  I had heard they were doing away with Disney Quest in favor of some stupid EPSN themed thing.  Is that still true?  I certainly hope it stays -- we will probably be going in the next year or two.

97thruhiker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 09:30:03 pm »
I talked with the manager there about that and he said it was not true, he said that Disney Quest was doing very well and as far as he knows the place has no plans of shutting down.  Disney wanted to make this a chain throughout the country and was not profitable enough in other cities but is doing very well in that location.  Not sure if he was giving the company line but he sounded convincing.  I would hate to see it change as it was a very fun place and I will be going back on our next trip to Disney in the early fall. 

Ahofle, you live in Atlanta and have relatives in Florida right?  I think I talked to you about a year or so ago about the super auctions in Orlando.  Next time in Florida take a trip over to Disney Quest in case it does close in the future.  It was very fun and while I love my cabinets at home, there is nothing like playing the same games in a arcade atmosphere with the lowered lights, sounds, excitement of others, being shoulder to shoulder with other people at the cabinets.  While not quite a trip back to the early to mid 80's in my favorite pizza place/arcade in St. Charles Maryland, it was close enough to get some of those memories again (minus looking to hookup with that hot girl wearing leg warmers at the Ms. Pacman machine).

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 11:01:19 pm »
Well I hope that's true.  :cheers:

BTW, I think you have me confused with someone else (I live in CO).

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 08:47:27 am »
Good to hear that place is still open, but $36!?!?!?! That is insane. I would expect around $20/person.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 09:16:58 am »

It's not too unreasonable given all of the things he didn't mention.  The VR community games are really cool (though the headset based ones could stand more cleaning).  The roller coaster sim is awesome.  It's more than just cabs, there are maybe ten rides or VR experiences in there as well.

$36 is a bit pricey but probably one of your better entertainment values in Orlando if you're an arcade person.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:29 pm
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 10:04:57 am »
$36 was worth the cost for the area - didn't even make me blink.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

krisbee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2015, 04:55:07 pm
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 10:42:31 am »
Remember, it is Disney World... Just a burger and a drink is $10...  But yes, the Virtual Rollercoaster is awesome there, as are many of the games, and isn't really much more than a full day at Dave and Busters, plus it is 10 times as big...

97thruhiker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 12:28:29 pm »

It's not too unreasonable given all of the things he didn't mention.  The VR community games are really cool (though the headset based ones could stand more cleaning).  The roller coaster sim is awesome.  It's more than just cabs, there are maybe ten rides or VR experiences in there as well.

$36 is a bit pricey but probably one of your better entertainment values in Orlando if you're an arcade person.

Outside of the cabs Chad's right.  I was busy enough playing all the other games and since I was by myself I did not mess around with the other VR games though they looked fun.  My wife is 8 months pregnant and my daughter is still only 4 so I decided to check it out alone.  In another year or so when my wife is not pregnant and my daughter is a little older I plan on giving those a try.

I hesitated spending the money but thought it was well worth it considering I spent six hours there and could of went longer.  Would definitly pay to go again and since I only live 3 hours away and go to Disney 5 to 6 times a year I'm considering getting a season pass for Disney Quest ($89).

vidmouse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2021, 10:13:41 am
  • Oop! Ack! Thppphbt!
    • Vidmouse's Arcade
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 03:57:46 pm »
I was so bummed when they closed the DisneyQuest in Chicago... at least I got to visit it once before.

I kind of liked the virtual stuff... my favorite had to be the Pirates game (not sure what it was called) -- you basically were on the main deck of a pirate ship and fired virtual seemingly full-size cannons at attacking ships and towns.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:43:29 pm
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 07:43:52 pm »
I love the pirates game! I hope it's still there in Orlando when I go back again.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Joystick Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 08:18:08 pm
  • Slave to the stick.
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 08:11:14 pm »
They used to have these great Playdium arcades here in Vancouver and in Toronto that sound a lot like what Disney Quest has to offer. There were whole sections for classics, fighters, shmups, pinball, air hockey, unique "niche" games, and all the rest. Good price too, as it was $20 for 4 hours of unlimited plays. Like all arcades these days, incoming profit couldn't keep up with game cost and upkeep, and they shut down. Was a real shame too, as it was the only decent arcade I've been to in ages. I was recently at the mall where the Vancouver Playdium was located, and it's been replaced by some retail chain, and all they have is some low-rent hole in the wall arcade off to the side filled with nothing but japanese rhythm games.

Bleh.

97thruhiker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 12:30:43 pm »
I love the pirates game! I hope it's still there in Orlando when I go back again.

Its still there.  Should be there for a while with Diney's involvement in the Pirates of the Carribean movies.  They had that VR ride/game along with this amazon boat ride, human pinball game on this two story screen, Buzz Light Year Ride (looked like bumper cars with balls out on the driving area, not sure what you did though), virtual space mountain where you build a rollercoaster and then ride it, along with a few other big vr rides.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 01:37:02 pm »

When we were there in October, the Buzz Lightyear ride was dead.  Really bummed out my kids.  The pins were all unplugged, too, and the Star Wars cockpit was out of commission.

My 7 year old spent a half hour playing and loving Lunar Lander... should have had him teach some teenagers.   ;D

unclet

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 07:34:43 pm
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 04:20:16 pm »
I was just there this weekend ..... probably walked right by you a few times.   My kids love that place.  We had year passes and this was our last trip before they expire.   

The pirate virtual reality is quite fun.   That is a really nice family game everyone (including my wife) can enjoy

My kids like the fishing game where they can cast out and then have different kinds of fish snatch the bait.  They love reeling in the "big one".  We played the Mario Kart games and also some sitdown motorcycle game (next to the Mario Karts and Daytona racing games).

Anyway, I was under the impression Disney Quest was closing as well and that an ESPN restaurant was going to move in the place.   Who knows for sure?  I am sure Disney wants everyone to keep buying year passes to Disney Quest up until they close the doors.    Hopefully I am wrong, but it has never been swamped ni there when I have gone.  I must have gone 6 tmies in the past year.   It really was not that busy during this Memorial Day weekend either.   I would assume Disney splits profits with a local arcade vendor person who keeps the games up and running and probably Disney would like to stop paying all the money to this vendor perhaps.

Just wanted to mention that my kids like the arcade located on the first floor of Disney's Contemporary Hotel much better since they practically give redemption tickets away in there so the kids can trade them in for crap cool stuff.   Anyway, my kids love that stuff.

97thruhiker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 05:58:22 pm »
I was just there this weekend ..... probably walked right by you a few times.   My kids love that place.  We had year passes and this was our last trip before they expire.   

The pirate virtual reality is quite fun.   That is a really nice family game everyone (including my wife) can enjoy

My kids like the fishing game where they can cast out and then have different kinds of fish snatch the bait.  They love reeling in the "big one".  We played the Mario Kart games and also some sitdown motorcycle game (next to the Mario Karts and Daytona racing games).

Anyway, I was under the impression Disney Quest was closing as well and that an ESPN restaurant was going to move in the place.   Who knows for sure?  I am sure Disney wants everyone to keep buying year passes to Disney Quest up until they close the doors.    Hopefully I am wrong, but it has never been swamped ni there when I have gone.  I must have gone 6 tmies in the past year.   It really was not that busy during this Memorial Day weekend either.   I would assume Disney splits profits with a local arcade vendor person who keeps the games up and running and probably Disney would like to stop paying all the money to this vendor perhaps.

Just wanted to mention that my kids like the arcade located on the first floor of Disney's Contemporary Hotel much better since they practically give redemption tickets away in there so the kids can trade them in for crap cool stuff.   Anyway, my kids love that stuff.

Who knows what will happen to the place, it would be a shame if they did turn it into an ESPN Zone but considering its location I could see it happening.  They could make a hell of a ESPN Zone out of the place the way its set up now with all the levels and everything.  With Disney's money I would hope they would just build another venue in downtown Disney.  I was there on Sunday for six hours so if you were there I'm sure I walked by you a few times.  Hopefully the manager was being truthfull with me but as you said he could just be towing the company line.