Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Questions about Johnny 5 and ledwhiz  (Read 857 times)

JoeyJoeJo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2013, 09:34:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • PS4 Hacks
Questions about Johnny 5 and ledwhiz
« on: August 14, 2006, 01:36:13 pm »
First up is LEDWhiz.  I've seen the pictures of the device, but what all can it do exactly?  I've never really be able to find anything that said.

Second, is it possible to display a Johnny 5 layout on a secondary screen while I'm playing a game?  For example, I was thinking of putting a PSOne LCD screen on my cabinet someplace.  While I'm playing a game, it would be nice to see the controls on that LCD.  Also, I was wondering about using a text only LCD.  I've got one of these from thinkgeek. http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/avcards/7e3e/
Would it be possible using Johnny 5 to display something like

Button 1: Punch
Button 2: Kick
Button 3: Block

on a text LCD? I'm not sure exactly how Johnny 5 works, so I have no idea if this is possible.  Anyway, I just wanted to say a big thanks to HowardC for all the work he's done on this software.

JoeyJoeJo

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
Re: Questions about Johnny 5 and ledwhiz
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 06:02:04 pm »
Ledwiz can been found at http://www.groovygamegear.com. I hope Howard answear the next question.
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 07:05:18 pm »
The dual display thing technically already works, although I'm working on a helper app just for that. 

I suppose I could output support for text lcd displays but I don't see much point in it.  Unless you buy one so expensive that you might as well get a real lcd display, most text displays have three lines or less.  This means you could only show three labels at a time.  Even pacman has 4 labels (up,down,left,right).  Even if you just did the button output thing, that would only be useful for games with 3 buttons or less.  It could be argued that those games have such simple controls you don't really need the labels anyway. 

Heh I hope you didn't pay 80 bucks for that module cause it's worth about 5.. 15 if you absolutely need usb. 

JoeyJoeJo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2013, 09:34:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • PS4 Hacks
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 11:28:48 pm »
I had a gift certificate for thinkgeek, so it didn't cost me that much.  I didn't figure it was worth all that.  Anyway, getting the text lcd to work sounds hard, so I'll probably do something with a PSOne LCD.  Thanks for all the cool software, and keep up the good work!