Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Monitor Indecision -- Please Help!  (Read 1155 times)

DaveMMR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
Monitor Indecision -- Please Help!
« on: May 25, 2006, 09:28:05 pm »
Originally I was going to rotate a 19" monitor but have since taken a "no gizmo" stance on my cabinet.  Therefore, I decided that a good 25" monitor is the sweet spot (it's a scratch-built centipede that's a couple of inches wider, deeper and taller than the original).
But now, I can't decide on which direction I should go. 

If you can help with a few Q's, I'd be appreciative.

1. I've been seeing 8-liner monitors on e-bay, plus one from Arcade OK! that range from $160 ~ 249 for the 25-inchers.  My question is: how's the quality on them.  I know they're just tubes with new chassis but I want to know if anyone has had any experience with them (good or bad)?

2. Anyone know of any local vendors in the Queens/LI area of NY?  I'd be more inclined to take a chance on one of these monitors if I saved on shipping.

3. Should I just say 'to heck with it' and get a K7400 from Wells-Gardner (or the Multisync Makvision 25" (http://competitiveproducts.com/monitor25.htm)? 

4. Anywhere else I could get a good 25" monitor for a good price?

Any help would be appreciated.

(BTW - I'm not planning on any Windows apps, so no need for Multisync).
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 10:15:14 pm by DaveMMR »

divemaster127

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2018, 08:05:08 pm
  • My webstore is arcadeemulator.net
    • arcadeemulator.net
Re: Monitor Indecision -- Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 01:15:09 pm »
I would go with the Wells
dm
I carry both ultimarc & happ items, all brand new & I ship from the united states. My online store is ARCADEEMULATOR.NET, pm if I can help in anyway.

DaveMMR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
Re: Monitor Indecision -- Please Help!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 09:10:23 pm »
Ahh... I just went to a local distributor here in western LI who had the 25" Trisync Makvision on display.  I'm no expert on monitors (obviously) but the display looked pretty crisp.  Even though I have to wait two weeks for the shipment to come in, I think I'll go with that display.   He quoted me $450 (guesstimate) while the website I linked to had a $395 price tag.  Thinking about it, I would probably spend more on shipping anyhow, so it's a pretty decent trade-off.

I'll take a few test pics and post any non-expert impressions/problems/etc. when I get it and hook it up. 

BTW, off-topic, but he was also selling a nice condition Burgertime.  I wish I had the money to purchase that AND a $400 monitor.  Oh well...