Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nervous twitches (Trying to avoid builders remorse)  (Read 1616 times)

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 05:00:22 pm
  • Even Jesus loves Donkey Kong!
    • MYX Digital Blog
Nervous twitches (Trying to avoid builders remorse)
« on: April 26, 2006, 10:06:27 am »
I am about 2 steps away from the start of the painting phase of my cab. Now, I am starting to question if I really want a vert monitor. I really do, but I have recently seen some hoz games that I really love. At some point (no time soon) I would probably like to make a second cab that I could make the alternate version. Has anyone built a vert monitor and wished they had gone hoz? Fortunately I built this thing a little wide so I could change it if I wanted. I just think it would be best to settle on this before I paint rather than afterwards.

But I still really want a vert.  ???

CRAP!

I didn't think that this would be such a hard decision that would pop up this late in the game. Anyone who has gone through the birthing pains of building a cab probably (hopefully) understands my dilemma. :P
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 12:40:20 pm by MYX »
M    Y    X

BLACKOUT  - Finally rewritten - http://blog.myxdigital.com/
Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
Re: Nervous twitches (builders remorse)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 12:04:15 pm »
Make it vert... that will give you the motivation you need to build another horizontal cab.  ;D

NoOne=NBA=

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2011, 08:59:16 am
  • Just Say No To Taito! -Nichibutsu
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 12:37:47 pm »
I had the opposite problem.
I originally built my cab with a 21" horizontal, and then swapped that out for a 19" vertical.
I have a 29" horizontal monitor that is awaiting a new home, however.

I think vertical games on a horizontal monitor look better than horizontal games on a vertical monitor, for what that's worth.

juggle50

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2022, 02:46:08 pm
  • Your either on the bus or off the bus
Re: Nervous twitches (Trying to avoid builders remorse)
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 02:43:38 pm »
How big is the vertical monitor?  I don't think vert games look right on anything bigger than a 19 inch.  However, the worst that can happen is that you will be playing the games at a 3:4 aspect ratio.  Go with your gut dude

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 03:02:12 pm »
It is a Happs vision Pro 19 in monitor. Currently it is set up as vert.
Link
M    Y    X

Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

Cutty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2009, 10:48:30 pm
  • Cabin Cruiser
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 06:08:49 pm »
It wasn't even a question when i built mine, I don't think I'll ever build a dedicated vert. Most of the game I built my cab for are horizontal, and.....

I think vertical games on a horizontal monitor look better than horizontal games on a vertical monitor, for what that's worth.

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 09:09:14 pm »
If I could only have one I'd go with horizontal, but it depends on what you play. When I first built my cab, all I cared about was playing Robotron and Moon Patrol. Horizontal was a must. Also, if you have a large enough monitor, vertical games are playable on a horizontal monitor.

Like others said, you're probably going to want a second machine eventually. I had my horizontal machine for a little over a year, and I'm working on a vertical now.

miles2912

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2006, 09:13:56 pm »
I am about 2 steps away from the start of the painting phase of my cab. Now, I am starting to question if I really want a vert monitor. I really do, but I have recently seen some hoz games that I really love. At some point (no time soon) I would probably like to make a second cab that I could make the alternate version. Has anyone built a vert monitor and wished they had gone hoz? Fortunately I built this thing a little wide so I could change it if I wanted. I just think it would be best to settle on this before I paint rather than afterwards.

But I still really want a vert.  ???

CRAP!

I didn't think that this would be such a hard decision that would pop up this late in the game. Anyone who has gone through the birthing pains of building a cab probably (hopefully) understands my dilemma. :P

For me it was fairly simple  A 27" multi was the only option mounted horizontal.  19" vert games look perfect and measure at about 20" tip to tip on the monitor.  About half the games we play are vertical shooters.  Galaga gets the most play so far  :)

Don
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

Spaz Monkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2011, 11:33:55 pm
  • Hit me with a chicken quesadilla and a Coke.
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2006, 10:15:52 pm »
Maybe I missed it, but do you want arcade games or mame games?  Doesn't mame show the right orientation?

Sizzler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2008, 12:28:46 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 01:06:04 am »
I know that some like big 27" monitors, but I think a horizontal 19" monitor works fine even for vertical games.  They' don't seem too small to me.   YMMV

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:55:16 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 05:59:55 am »

make it rotating (",)

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 08:58:53 am »
I would take a few days before mounting it and decide. 

also look at making it rotatable.  It takes cutting a round board... mounting the monitor to that... Have the round board sticking out the sides by a few inch's... some wheels that the whole thing sits on (two on the bottom... and 4 or so on the back.  It needs to be at a bit of an angle.

Or to spruce it up some... you want a smaller board... and attach some rope around it that comes out the sides.  Then you pull the rope on the left side of the cab and it goes vertical... on the right side, and it goes horizontal.

Anyway, if you have the ability to add it now, might be worth it.  You do have to degausse the monitor between rotations... so you should see if it does it automatically when you turn it on.  (turn the monitor on vertical... then rotate it horizontal (and it should be screwed up) then turn it off and turn it on... and if it looks good, you have a solution... otherwise you will want to find a way to put a push button to the degausser... not sure if you can easily.

but in the end.. best of both worlds.

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 10:03:14 am »
It does do a degaus at start up. I do not want to have anything sticking out the sides, or ropes, or pullies. I appreciate the idea though. (This is where MYX get dumb) For me, the look of this thing is a big priority. Playability is also a big issue. But I think when I imagine the whole building experience I want to look at the cab and see a fine finished piece. I think I am going to play with MAME a little bit and try to get my resolution issues fixed and see that hoz games look like on the vert mon. and Vert games on a hoz. and see if I can live with one or the other.

Resolution issue threads
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=53058.0
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=53059.0
M    Y    X

nullb0y

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2023, 04:37:32 pm
  • Who wants some?
    • antinull
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 03:50:40 pm »
ok so go with a horizonatal for starters.
then build a smaller but just as good cabinet for horizontal games
Alright. Who wants some? Who's next? Huh? How 'bout it? Who wants some? Huh? Who wants to have a little? You.
  You want some more? Huuuh? You want a little? Do ya? Huh? You want some more? Huh? Huh? Hh!