Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mame.c patch?  (Read 1069 times)

SlyDog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2006, 11:21:16 pm
Mame.c patch?
« on: February 08, 2006, 02:17:32 pm »
Is there anyway to just patch the Mame.c to the binary mame.exe.   I am a very lazy person and i don't like compiling the whole thing when all i change is 2 lines in mame.c   

IF there is can you give a tiny tutorial here how to do it..  If not No biggie i can set it to compile and watch a rerun of xfiles or something

woof

Farmboy90

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2006, 12:15:04 am
  • My cab is done... Pics coming soon!!
Re: Mame.c patch?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 02:32:58 pm »
No.  Not unless you can find the libraries somewhere.  Otherwise this is a once only operation.  Just build it, go eat or take a nap, then come back when it is done.  All changes after that will be incremental.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re: Mame.c patch?
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 03:03:41 pm »
No.  Not unless you can find the libraries somewhere.  Otherwise this is a once only operation.  Just build it, go eat or take a nap, then come back when it is done.  All changes after that will be incremental.
Sorta. If a change is only in a .h file you will need to find the obj files of all related files and delete them.

Other wise you just need to do a full compile once.

A super simplied explaination of what's going on.
When you compile you take all of the source code files and turn them into machine code (1s and 0s the computer understands). For each source file there will be a .o file that is the machine code (along with some other info for the next step).  However, that all needs to be combined and simular refereneces need to be matched, etc...  So a linker is used to go through the .o files and figure out how to piece them all together into an exe.

When you make a change in the future it will only compile the appropiate object files and relink.