Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)  (Read 400470 times)

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
Re: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2006, 01:39:29 am »
The accuracy of the LCD TopGun is 1024 X 768 pixel, which
is much higher then that of the traditional CRT light gun (around 3xx X 2xx
pixel).

WOW! These are sounding better and better!! and for the money we really have nothing at all to complain about!  Yes recoil would have been better than vibration, but I for one really can live with that if they work as well as they seem to.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

Cananas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2017, 07:39:03 am
  • and the seventh day... PacMan was created
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2006, 03:38:50 am »
Umm... It seems you must recalibrate the gun every time you change your position... like the other LCD guns.  :-\

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2009, 04:54:06 am
  • Built the cab, just need the time to play!
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2006, 04:26:18 am »
Umm... It seems you must recalibrate the gun every time you change your position... like the other LCD guns.  :-\

eh?

what does this mean exactly

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2006, 04:41:18 am »

As I'm still working on my cabinet design, I'll be able to incorporate the sensors directly into the design. Couldn't be better, or have come at a better time for me.

Well the cab I want to put this on is finished, as is probably most other peoples. As I mentioned before, I cant really get to the monitor itself as the glass has covered it up and it is secured within the cab by thick timber (not easily removed).
My only option is to place the led stands externally. Anyone have any suggestions where?...

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2006, 04:53:08 am »

My only option is to place the led stands externally. Anyone have any suggestions where?...

What's wrong with putting them either side of the screen.... You've got space for them, by the look of it....  Yes it might cover up some of your graphics on the monitor bezel... but you could hang them so that they're only there when you're running a gun game.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2006, 05:06:04 am »

Maybe not .... It calculates the difference in position of the gun (relative) to all of the sensors.. So it's not necessarily true that you would have to re-calibrate if you moved further from or closer to the screen. But no doubt I'll be able to confirm that once mine arrives. I will post the answer here unless someone else tries that first.

In any case I consider that to be a minor irritation if it is the case! look at the difference in price between these and for example the Act Labs guns.... Plus they are compatible with WAY more games, because of the way they work.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2006, 05:23:46 am »

What's wrong with putting them either side of the screen.... You've got space for them, by the look of it....  Yes it might cover up some of your graphics on the monitor bezel... but you could hang them so that they're only there when you're running a gun game.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

hmm... but they would look ugly there, would they not? I dont like the idea of hanging them only when they are needed. If some one is on my arcade and wants to implusively change to a gun game, there should be minimum fuss, I think.

How thick are the stands? If they are flat enough, I may be able to 'ease' them into the tight monitor space from behind the glass, and secure with super glue..

shags

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2006, 08:29:12 pm
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2006, 05:43:58 am »
way 2 kewl... i hope these turn out to be reliable functional guns....can hardly wait for those that have them to post reviews.....

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2006, 08:37:25 am »
Anyone know about the LED stands?  From the photo below:

http://www.hkems.com/product/xbox/LCDTopGun.htm

they look like rather large plastic boxes.  The size is listed as:
LED Stand (2 pcs) :   41.0 cm  X 1.5 cm   X 3.0 cm.

My 27" TV is the exact width of my cabinet.  So I am not sure where I would be able to put the LED "towers".

Man that would be a shame if that was the case and these guns turn out to be such a great two player MAME solution.

Converting to inches it would be 16.14" High x .59" Wide x 1.18" Deep.

Looking at this picture, they do appear to be deeper than they are wide.

I would imagine that they could be de-cased, you probably just need to make sure that the you match the spacing correctly.

My guns shipped three hours ago!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 08:41:51 am by ErikRuud »
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

adonis_minus_20

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2020, 02:32:20 am
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2006, 08:51:54 am »
It looks like from the pictures that this gun would only be able to support PS2 Guncon2 lightgun games (as far as PS support goes).  It doesn't include a standard PS1/PS2 controller connector.  So it doesn't look like it will work with either Guncon1 games like Time Crisis 1, or non-Guncon lightgun games, like Area 51 and Lethal Enforcers.

It still looks like a great solution, I hope the accuracy is good.  I just wish they had included PS1 support for Guncon1 and non-Guncon games.

Jim

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2006, 12:15:04 am
  • My cab is done... Pics coming soon!!
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2006, 10:48:30 am »
Mine guns shipped yesterday, so we'll see.  Is there a way to make this topic sticky and have the original post modified to include all of our questions?

Then as we all get our guns and figure them out we can return to the main post and fill in the questions with our answers/solutions.

So far we need things like:
  • Does it work with two player games?
  • If so, what config was changed and what else needs to be done to enable it?
  • Do you have to recalibrate every time you move?
  • Do you have to recalibrate every time you play a game?
  • How is the recoil?
  • How is the vibration?
  • Can you mount the LED's in any orientation or just vertical?
  • How is the accuracy?
  • How far away from the edges of the screen can the LED stands be mounted?
  • How does reloading work?  Can you reload offscreen? 
  • What about real time tracking?  If it's a camera in the gun, couldn't it do real time tracking?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 11:52:23 am by Farmboy90 »

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2006, 11:19:46 am »
Mine guns shipped yesterday, so we'll see.  Is there a way to make this topic sticky and have the original post modified to include all of our questions?

Then as we all get our guns and figure them out we can return to the main post and fill in the questions with our answers/solutions.

So far we need things like:
  • Does it work with two player games?
  • If so, what config was changed and what else needs to be done to enable it?
  • Do you have to recalibrate every time you move?
  • Do you have to recalibrate every time you play a game?
  • How is the recoil?
  • How is the vibration?
  • Can you mount the LED's in any orientation or just vertical?
  • How is the accuracy?

another question is whether the LED stands can be mounted on their sides to 'face eachother' rather than flat on their backs by each side of the screen.

Another question is also, how far away from the monitor screen can the led stands be placed.eg in the case of a bezel, can the stands be placed at the edges of the bezel or does it strictly have to be by the edges of the monitor screen? (hope this makes sense)

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2006, 11:30:14 am »

another question is whether the LED stands can be mounted on their sides to 'face eachother' rather than flat on their backs by each side of the screen.

I am not sure I understand this question.  Are you asking if they can be mounted so that the LEDs face each other?  In other words, when looking directly at the screen and stands, you will not see the LEDs because the stands have been turned so that they face each other?  If that is the case, I am assumming that would fail.  But I can add it to the list so it can be confirmed.  I imagine those LEDs need to face forward so that the camera in the gun can see the LED light.

Another question is also, how far away from the monitor screen can the led stands be placed.eg in the case of a bezel, can the stands be placed at the edges of the bezel or does it strictly have to be by the edges of the monitor screen? (hope this makes sense)

I added this question to the list. 

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2006, 11:42:04 am »

I am pretty sure there is a lot of leeway in the placement of the LED stands.  Look at the photo near the beginning of this thread that shows the projected game with the LEDs in the middle of the image.  This from the FAQ and demonstrates how to use the gun with screens larger than 60".

I suspect that minimum distance between the gun and the screen might be affected by the distance between the stands.

Based on the demo videos showing the gun be held sideway, upside down and right side up without recalibrating, I suspect that mounting the stands horizontally should also work.

O2em Rom Utility

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2006, 11:42:27 am »

I am not sure I understand this question.  Are you asking if they can be mounted so that the LEDs face each other?  In other words, when looking directly at the screen and stands, you will not see the LEDs because the stands have been turned so that they face each other?  If that is the case, I am assumming that would fail.  But I can add it to the list so it can be confirmed.  I imagine those LEDs need to face forward so that the camera in the gun can see the LED light.

Yeah - thats right.

Theoritically it should work, as the LEDs should be able to still sense the infra red beam from the gun..
this way would look a lot neater on my cab!

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2006, 11:47:27 am »

Doubt it! the gun has to be able to see all of them clearly....

Yes it does make sense... the answer there is they can be any distance apart, up to say about 40" or so. As long as the gun can see all of them (you'd have to be further away in that case) and you tell it where the corners of the screen are when you calibrate it. So no they don't have to be right next to the edges of the screen.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2006, 11:51:43 am »

Yeah - thats right.

Theoritically it should work, as the LEDs should be able to still sense the infra red beam from the gun..

NO!! LOL It works the other way round..... The gun senses the infra red beams from the LEDs... and because each one is at a different frequency it can measure the time it takes for the light from each LED to reach the gun and from that can calculate where the gun is pointing.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2006, 12:15:35 pm »
Another question would be if the offscreen reload works.

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2006, 12:41:40 pm »
Another question would be if the offscreen reload works.

Added to the unofficial FAQ.  :)

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2006, 01:02:45 pm »

Yeah - thats right.

oh!

either way, im still curious

NO!! LOL It works the other way round..... The gun senses the infra red beams from the LEDs... and because each one is at a different frequency it can measure the time it takes for the light from each LED to reach the gun and from that can calculate where the gun is pointing.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2006, 01:11:09 pm »

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

hmm... but they would look ugly there, would they not?

Why don't you just put them on the sides of your cab.
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

daikiki

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2006, 07:10:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2006, 02:12:43 pm »
Well, I'm in for one. I'm hoping to mount it behind my bezel. I intend to drill a few holes for the leds and simply tape it to the back. Should be the least obtrusive way to mount the led strips. Once it arrives I'll happily join into the chorus of it {sucks|rocks} and share my {outrage|excitement}

JamIt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 17, 2011, 03:27:07 pm
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2006, 02:23:37 pm »

Anyone have any suggestions where?...

I hope I'm not coming off like a smart-ass, but shouldn't you be able to install these to the outside walls of your cab?  What I mean is "hang" them off the side.  So they wouldn't cover up your bezel.  Thoughts of hinging coming to mind as well but that may be getting crazy here.
I may not be clear in what I'm trying to say.  If not, let me know
JamIt

mark6437

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2020, 03:20:11 pm
  • THB2
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2006, 02:28:59 pm »
Do ya'll think these will work with HOTD series??

Mark
Hou TX

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2006, 02:34:05 pm »
I hope I'm not coming off like a smart-ass, but shouldn't you be able to install these to the outside walls of your cab?  What I mean is "hang" them off the side.  So they wouldn't cover up your bezel. 

My thoughts exactly.  Seems like the most obvious solution to me.   You could even velcro them up, I bet.
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2006, 03:29:10 pm »

You might be able to mount them UNDER the glass... Then if you trim the black just over the LED's, it might not effect your glass.

Or maybe you could make clips on the sides... and clip them on when you want to use it?

But if they work well enought, I would consider redoing the artwork (on the sides)

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2006, 03:31:51 pm »
Hey, I'm considering buying 2.... noticed there is a 10% discount for 5+ orders.

Would shipping be cheaper to get a bunch together and ship to the US and reship from here?

How are they?  I've never ordered from them (and hate ordering from other countries... always afraid that shipping will take months)

walls83

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2017, 02:58:45 pm
  • beer is good
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2006, 03:34:48 pm »
Lik-sang is good.  Ive ordered acouple things from them.  No problems at all.
"A true warrior enters the arena with all his powers at the ready." ~ Gouki

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2006, 03:39:58 pm »
I ordered through Playasia.com.

The shipping was not exactly cheap.  UPS Shipping for two was about 40% higher than for one.

I order mine yesterday morning.  According to the tracking information on the Playasia site, my order is already in Louisville, KY waitng for "Clearing Agency Release".  If I'm figuring the Time zones correctly, that was at 2:00 am this morning.
O2em Rom Utility

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2006, 09:51:26 pm »
We've got an Aussie group buy on hold over at AussieArcade, and are eagerly awaiting user reviews from the few brave souls who ordered them here.

If you've got a gun, let us know what the response and accuracy is like on these guys.  2 of these on a giant rear-projection screen would be fantastic!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 03:34:09 am by elvis »

Flinkly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2017, 01:14:21 pm
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2006, 10:12:27 pm »
i bet the company is wondering why they are suddenly selling so many.  just wait till after we get the reviews!!

oh, and i'd be interested in a group buy if the ratings are good.  i don't know if i can afford it if shipping really is that high.

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2006, 12:15:02 am »
Two guns WITH shipping to Arizona was only $94.  In other words less than the price of ONE act-labs TV gun.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2006, 03:36:56 am »
Do ya'll think these will work with HOTD series??

Mark
Hou TX

No reason why they shouldn't...

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2006, 03:42:46 am »
i bet the company is wondering why they are suddenly selling so many.  just wait till after we get the reviews!!

oh, and i'd be interested in a group buy if the ratings are good.  i don't know if i can afford it if shipping really is that high.

They offer different shipping rates.... they will send them by ordinary post for a lot less than by UPS. I can't tell you the prices into the USA because I'm in the UK. Including delivery to me, the total price was only

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2006, 04:10:36 am »

Anyone have any suggestions where?...

I hope I'm not coming off like a smart-ass, but shouldn't you be able to install these to the outside walls of your cab?  What I mean is "hang" them off the side.  So they wouldn't cover up your bezel.  Thoughts of hinging coming to mind as well but that may be getting crazy here.
I may not be clear in what I'm trying to say.  If not, let me know
JamIt

Dang! I didnt even think of that!! That would be way preferable. I have already drilled holes for the cup holders that sit at each side, so I could simply feed the LED wires through them.

I really need pictures though. Those of you who braved a purchase, please be sure to post as many pictures of the LED stands as you can, and if possible add this idea to the FAQ for testing...

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2006, 04:55:53 am »
Turns out they tried to deliver mine 24hours ago... hopefully get them today/tonight.

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2006, 06:20:31 am »
Turns out they tried to deliver mine 24hours ago... hopefully get them today/tonight.

im crossing my fingers that this gun lives up to the hype!

PLLLLEASE test it on Jurassic Park for me! (LOVE that game!!)

Also, does anyone know if virtua cop is playable on mame?

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2006, 07:25:34 am »
There is a pc version of virtual cop that isn't that bad.  Hopefully it works with that also.

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2006, 08:50:45 am »
There is a pc version of virtual cop that isn't that bad.  Hopefully it works with that also.

Anyone got that running with XP?...I seem to recall I couldn't get my copy to work.

walls83

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2017, 02:58:45 pm
  • beer is good
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2006, 08:52:43 am »
Virtua cop 2 runs with XP im not sure about Virtua cop 1.
"A true warrior enters the arena with all his powers at the ready." ~ Gouki