Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: One button cab power strip located  (Read 13260 times)

dhenrynj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2019, 08:53:12 am
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
Re:One button cab power strip located
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2003, 11:05:53 am »
I just ordered the first one mentioned.  I will let you know how it works.  I currently power on my pc using the spacebar(which is player one button 3)  I just added a button to my CP to power on the PC.  I will try to put this strip inside the cab so I only have to hit one button.

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2003, 12:13:20 am »
Well I ordered one of those Smart Strips and just got it today already.  I'm gonna put it in my cab tomorrow and see how it goes.  

One thing I'm a little curious about is the ATX power savings things with motherboards.  Basically what this power strip does is that it simulates plugging in and unplugging the connected devices.  The thing is...with the power savings features on every motherboard nowadays, just plugging in the computer will not turn it on, you still have to hit a switch.  And when I shutdown my computer it automatically shuts off....anyone see what I am getting at?  Will disabling power savings in the BIOS make this thing work?

kspiff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2016, 09:15:36 pm
  • Love of the game, baby.. love of the game..
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2003, 02:10:01 am »
I've seen some mobos that give you the option to choose what your computer will do when power is lost then restored (power resume or something like that).. so if this is a problem then you are probably going to use your TV to activate the other devices..?  If hitting another button isn't a big deal you could always also see if your mobo supports powering up by spacebar..

Too bad there's no way I could easily (if at all) set this strip up to use a laptop as a control device.
k-spiff

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2003, 08:42:12 am »
One thing I'm a little curious about is the ATX power savings things with motherboards.  Basically what this power strip does is that it simulates plugging in and unplugging the connected devices.  The thing is...with the power savings features on every motherboard nowadays, just plugging in the computer will not turn it on, you still have to hit a switch.  And when I shutdown my computer it automatically shuts off....anyone see what I am getting at?  Will disabling power savings in the BIOS make this thing work?
I'm not sure what your getting at. You want your computer to automatically shut off when it shuts down. I'm not sure what the power saving features in the bios have to do with anything. You use the computer to turn the power strip on and off. You don't use the button on the power strip. You use the button on the computer, or wire a remote button to it.
I've seen some mobos that give you the option to choose what your computer will do when power is lost then restored (power resume or something like that).. so if this is a problem then you are probably going to use your TV to activate the other devices..?  If hitting another button isn't a big deal you could always also see if your mobo supports powering up by spacebar..
You could use a TV to activate the power strip. Your going to want to shut down Windows before you turn off the tv. Thats the advantage to using the computer to power it up and down because you have to power Windows down properly anyway.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2003, 09:12:20 am »
Well I ordered one of those Smart Strips and just got it today already.  I'm gonna put it in my cab tomorrow and see how it goes.  

This doesn't matter, beacuse your computer is the one triggering other devices on the strip, not vice-versa.
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2003, 09:34:45 am »
I've been using the auto switching strip I got from Sears for a week now and I absolutely love it. Now anyone can turn this thing on or off and not screw anything up. No more correct order of switch things on and off, now more navigating Windows to shut down. I'm ready to run my front end as a shell and lock them out of Windows. I'm also planning to change the startup shutdown screens of XP and make this thing look like an arcade. Then I can take it to my in-laws cottage and put it in the basement and not worry about the cousins messing it up.

As soon as my allowance allows I'm going to purchase more of these autosensing switches for my other cab and my jukebox.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2003, 01:52:10 pm »
No no no.  What I am planning on doing is Using my TV as the device that switches everything else on.  My TV is in the front of my cabinet.  Exposed.  THe power button is right there.  That's the best solution for me.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2003, 02:13:44 pm »
No no no.  What I am planning on doing is Using my TV as the device that switches everything else on.  My TV is in the front of my cabinet.  Exposed.  THe power button is right there.  That's the best solution for me.
Assuming your using a newer ATX style PC and not some 5+ year old one your method should work for turning it on if you BIOS supports restarting after a power loss. But unless your running DOS you still need to shut down Windows before you shut the TV off. The advantage to using the PC power button and Windows is that on newer systems when you push the power button it will close your running programs, shut down windows properly and turn off your computer.

If your running Windows and a TV that won't restart after a power loss then I don't see how you can get a one button solution.

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2003, 02:49:58 pm »
I'm using a Sony 24" Wega.  It turns back on after a power loss.  My mobo also supports this option.

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2003, 03:58:28 pm »
Well it worked!  WOW!  This power strip is just about one of the coolest products I have seen in a while.  It works awesome.  All I had to do was tell my BIOS to turn on after a power loss.  Now all I do is turn on my TV in my cabinet and automatically my pc begins to fire up and my marquee light turns on! This is SWEET!

Good find eightbit!

romid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2008, 02:33:12 pm
  • MAME rox your socks!
    • Temp MAME pics
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2003, 04:46:11 pm »
I'm *guessing* it has some sort of "current drawn" activated switch...   Although don't most ATX mobo's always have some current going through them (5V or something)?

*shrug*

Looks neat... it's going on my wish list...

rampy

Just for sanity's sake, current is measured in amps, not volts. So a motherboard (or anything else) cant have a current of 5V running through it...

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2003, 08:11:18 pm »
Well it worked!  WOW!  This power strip is just about one of the coolest products I have seen in a while.  It works awesome.  All I had to do was tell my BIOS to turn on after a power loss.  Now all I do is turn on my TV in my cabinet and automatically my pc begins to fire up and my marquee light turns on! This is SWEET!
How do you shut down Windows?

Silverwind

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 12:49:09 am
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2003, 11:08:10 pm »
How do you shut down Windows?

hehe.. probably just gives it the power off action :)

mattudland

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2012, 08:17:57 am
  • Official Arcade Controls Opera Singer
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2003, 12:08:28 am »
So...  i just have a quick question.  I'm building my first cab here, and I have a 25 inch arcade monitor, so presumably, the only thing I don't "want" to cut power to regularly with just a switch is my PC.  But if i have a PC that can handle the off button being pushed, and it shuts down, then I can just wire that button to some switch, say top of cabinet next to my current power switch that turns on the marquee, monitor, speakers and Jamma PCB and I'd have to turn off the computer then the other?  Can't I just wire the computer into the other power supply and then be happy?  or is that just no allowed.  Oh screw it i'm confused now.  I guess i'll just go eat worms.
Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2003, 01:04:37 am »

hehe.. probably just gives it the power off action :)

Yeah I'm that stupid.  Thanks for the confidence there, buddy.

eightbit, I just shut down Win like usual.  Shutdown and let it turn itself off.  Then I just hit the power button on the TV and that's that.  Works PERFECT.

Haggis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2004, 05:33:53 pm
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2003, 07:15:27 am »
For those of you in the UK looking for something similar you can find a review of the "Intelligent Mains Panel" here http://www.totaldvd.net/reviews/Accessories/OneClick/OneclickIMP.php.  The only place I can find where to buy them online is Maplin (www.maplin.co.uk) - its not directly listed on their website but if you type the product code into their search control you can then add it to your order.  

product codes

PC USB version        L37AF
Hi-fi Bulgin version     L38AF
Hi-fi Euro version       L39AF

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2003, 07:35:16 am »
So...  i just have a quick question.  I'm building my first cab here, and I have a 25 inch arcade monitor, so presumably, the only thing I don't "want" to cut power to regularly with just a switch is my PC.  But if i have a PC that can handle the off button being pushed, and it shuts down, then I can just wire that button to some switch, say top of cabinet next to my current power switch that turns on the marquee, monitor, speakers and Jamma PCB and I'd have to turn off the computer then the other?  Can't I just wire the computer into the other power supply and then be happy?  or is that just no allowed.  Oh screw it i'm confused now.  I guess i'll just go eat worms.
Mattudland- You explained it exactly. Where are you confused? The search has been for a easy way to turn your whole cab on and off with a single button. Thats what one of these autosensing strips can do.

If you have a TV like Jakobud that doesn't support power on after a power outage then you can't quite get the one button thing. You can have it turn everything on with one button with the TV but to shut down you still need to exit Windows properly and then shut the TV off which shuts off the power to everything else.

mattudland

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2012, 08:17:57 am
  • Official Arcade Controls Opera Singer
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2003, 10:19:05 am »
---insert overwhelming sense of knowledge and accomplishment here---

Yeah got it, and wired it last night with a plug-in i found at Wal-Mart for 20 bucks that does the same thing.  Works oh so super nice :)
Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

CM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2012, 08:59:17 pm
  • The internet?!? Is that thing still around?
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2003, 12:58:42 pm »
I ordered the strip today, so I wil report back within the week on my thoughts.

I have the home-built hacked-relay in my cab now which has worked great, but I have a TV that "forgets" its S-Video setting when it loses power.  Everytime I turn on my cab I also have to pull out the remote and change the TV from cable to S-video (not walk-up newb friendly).  I'm going to let my PC be always-on (well most of the time) and use the TV as the trigger for marquee/coindoor/sound.  

I would use the Sears solution, but it would require another power strip and then I would have to get extension cords/blah/blah. ... I am preferring the cleaner power-strip method.   ;)

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2003, 01:39:59 pm »

Yeah got it, and wired it last night with a plug-in i found at Wal-Mart for 20 bucks that does the same thing.  Works oh so super nice :)
Whats the name/description/pic of the walmart solution... I can easily toss that in to my cart next shopping trip without the misses raising an alarm =)  (her eyebrows are still raised a little from the 100 dollar star wars yoke purchase)

rampy

Jakobud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2003, 02:34:15 pm »

If you have a TV like Jakobud that doesn't support power on after a power outage then you ...

No my TV does support this. Its just more convenient to turn everyone on with my TV power button rather than trying to rig up some other hidden power switch for my computer.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2003, 02:57:02 pm »

If you have a TV like Jakobud that doesn't support power on after a power outage then you ...

No my TV does support this. Its just more convenient to turn everyone on with my TV power button rather than trying to rig up some other hidden power switch for my computer.
If it works for you, then thats great. My ultimate goal was a one button power up and same one button power down. You almost have that.

That way I can completely hide Windows and make it easier to turn on and off then a console. I needed that because one of my cabs is going in my inlaws basement at their log cabin in their campground and I won't be there most of the time to show people how to use it or keep them from messing it up if Windows was exposed. No the basement is not a public room open to the campground for kids to come and pay to play my cabinet. If I find them in there the on off button is going to get replaced with a key switch, which actually might not be a bad idea to start with... It has a coin door but again for simplicity sake I did not wire it up, I wired a credit button instead.

My other cab will get one of these power strips as soon as I can save my allowance enough to get one. This will make it much easier for my wife to turn on and off. Right now she turns on a remote power strip then pushes the pc start button. Just the opposite to turn it off. Its surprising that for being a college professor she has a hard time remembering that.

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2003, 08:03:57 pm »

Whats the name/description/pic of the walmart solution... I can easily toss that in to my cart next shopping trip without the misses raising an alarm =)  (her eyebrows are still raised a little from the 100 dollar star wars yoke purchase)

rampy

hey mattudland:

What department did you find the walmart power sensing power strip/switch thingie?  can you post a pic/brand/better description?

I searched the electrical aisle, the light asile, the electronics section and didn't find *anything*....

please reply

thanks,

rampy

CM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2012, 08:59:17 pm
  • The internet?!? Is that thing still around?
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2003, 11:18:38 am »
I ordered the strip today, so I wil report back within the week on my thoughts.

I have the home-built hacked-relay in my cab now which has worked great, but I have a TV that "forgets" its S-Video setting when it loses power.  Everytime I turn on my cab I also have to pull out the remote and change the TV from cable to S-video (not walk-up newb friendly).  I'm going to let my PC be always-on (well most of the time) and use the TV as the trigger for marquee/coindoor/sound.  

I would use the Sears solution, but it would require another power strip and then I would have to get extension cords/blah/blah. ... I am preferring the cleaner power-strip method.   ;)

I got my strip (from first comment in this topic) and it works great.  Even though my relay hack has worked great for months .. I actually feel somewhat safer with this solution (not that I would EVER question my wiring skills of course ;) )   I am using it with the TV as a trigger and my PC always on.  Lovin it.