Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: All right...not going to quit my job, but my co-worker just sucks.  (Read 14255 times)

mairsil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2017, 11:48:20 pm
    • PouncingKitten Games
Re: Hate to say it, but I think I'm going to quit my job...
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2006, 05:29:37 pm »
A job is a privelige.  Not an entitlement. 

If he doesn't like the setup, he can go elsewhere.  Of course, he could waste his time and resources and report the bastard who is breaking the law.

Guess what?  The whole world breaks the law.  Ever hire a landscaper?  A drywaller?  Ever hire someone to pick the crops?    They are mostly all illegal aliens.

The problem is that too many bosses seem to think this way. While I don't argue that a job is a privilege, there are laws specifically enacted to prevent employee abuse and misuse. Yes, it would cost Peale some time and money to talk to an attorney and that must be his decision if he wants to. I simply mentioned how his boss is breaking the law.

Blecch.  Employees who want to call the goverment instead of moving on.  what a treat.

Be thankful that these people do exist or else all factory work in the US would be in sweatshop form. Too many companies regularly break the law without repercussions. Just look at what Enron and Arthur Anderson did to their employees and clients. Hell, one of the places I used to work fired people for taking sick days that they rightfully had to use and constantly violated OSHA regulations, which resulted in unnecessary and costly injuries to the employees.

Some people will want to just quit/get fired and move on. Some will want to make sure that what happened to them will not happen to anyone else. That is their choice and no one should begrudge them that choice.
PouncingKitten Games
Xbox 360 - Glide, Bingo Party, Poker Night
Flash - BunnyRun

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Re: All right...not going to quit my job, but my co-worker just sucks.
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2006, 08:41:40 pm »
I liked it better when people were giving ideas on how to make Mumbles suffer (did he star in Dick Tracy by chance).  Maybe get him drunk and put a lighter in his mouth so his insides catch fire.

I can kinda relate to Peale's situation.  Theres someone i really hate in two of my classes and i see him always standing outside one of my other class.  He really he must crave attention or to look tough or something because everytime i see him he calls me out.  Its clear he wants the attention because its always in front of his friends and hes a total coward because when i confronted him he backed off to regroup.

But the advice given so far sounds good though make it show that you dont care what Mumbles says or does.  And for your employer have him send you emails with the tasks to be done the day before and record phone calls so you have proof he is trying to make you life hell.

Good luck with your job and yeah i know this topic is madd old but still good luck.
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

sez

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2012, 05:57:20 am
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2006, 09:17:00 pm »
Make some time to talk to the boss about your take on things.  Explain to him that you love what you do and have the company's best interests at heart.

As a boss, it's his role to get some sort of resolution between you and Mumbles.  You have to take charge of the situation and make the first move, whatever that may be.
Eat your greens

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2006, 11:51:05 pm »

If he doesn't like the setup, he can go elsewhere.  Of course, he could waste his time and resources and report the bastard who is breaking the law.

Guess what?  The whole world breaks the law.  Ever hire a landscaper?  A drywaller?  Ever hire someone to pick the crops?    They are mostly all illegal aliens.

I worked for a guy called "Clammer Dave" once while working Drywall.... I'm pretty sure he wasn't an illegal alien

JackTucky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2021, 12:00:58 pm
  • Soon I will post that I am a triathalete
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2006, 09:25:42 am »
Did the "Clammer" have any illegals working for him?

Obviously, these aren't hard and fast rules. 

I heard there are some IT people who aren't fat too.  What's next?  :laugh2:

Jacktucky
Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2006, 01:28:22 pm »
no... he found hiring crack addicts was cheaper....

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2006, 06:25:28 pm »

Jacktucky

These pernicious lies have GOT to stop!
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2006, 08:37:09 pm »

Jacktucky

These pernicious lies have GOT to stop!

It's true I say! I'm living proof! You too can achieve your dreams!

Beefcake! Beefcake!

P.S. Ummm, Jack - you must be a southerner - we hire Americans here in new england to do those jobs...

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2006, 07:20:17 am »
It's amazing how you can have a really good day overall, and one freaking even just knocks it down to crap.

Flashback: this past Friday.  Cool Guy and Mumbles have to pick up some equipment.  Before he goes, Cool Guy hands me a K7000 monitor chassis, says it has issues, and can I fix it?  I say sure.

It's got cold solder joints all over, and weirder, it looks like the solder has actually melted a bit on some of the joints, mostly in the area of the power supply.  No biggie, I resolder it all.  Everything looks ship-shape.  Plug it in, okay....1/2 the screen is dark, 1/2 is light.  Replace cap C57, and all is well!  Beautiful picture.  I run it all day on the test bench with no issues.  Up all day long.

Flash to about six last night.  Cool Guy and I are out picking up some equipment, Mumles is doing his route work.  He calls Cool Guy, bitching that the monitor chassis I fixed didn't work.  "It's not ready!  Freaking thing doesn't work!"

Says it won't fire up, it's just sitting there.  Starts complaining that there are broken joints on the video connector.

BULL-ONY.  It worked flawlessly when I had it on the test bench, and all the joints were fine.

Cool Guy and I talked about it a bit after Mumbles hung up on him, and we're guessing in usual form, he was far rougher with the equipment than he should be, and probably broke the joints himself, as well as some other damage.  Cool Guy speculates he likely messed up the sattelite control  and blew the HOT.

I'm just so freaking tired of this guys crap.  And I *really* don't want to have to put up with his crap all day.  Heck, I don't want to put up with it at all, but...*shrug*

PCtech

• BYAOC is kinda like methadone
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2019, 09:58:57 am
  • If the magic smoke gets out, it won't work again!
« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2006, 08:33:21 am »
I feel for ya..sounds like it's pretty much  :banghead: all day long when having to deal with Mumbles.

Sounds like it's time to sh*t, or get off the pot.

I had/have a similar situation, but it is with a "peer" that is a "tard", but the boss is a push-over (no balls).  "Tard" makes trouble in the dept, only get's half the work done of everyone else, but "tard" is a social friend of the executives...so basically his screw-ups/laziness get totally ignored, and the rest of the dept has to clean it up.   :badmood:

I've been at my job for about 7 years, and it's good.  Last year, has been rough because of "tard".  Multiple talks w/ management, 1 talk with "tard", and I'm still at the same place.   :banghead:

Only option left for me is to leave, or put up with it.

If I didn't have 4 kids,wife,mortgage, I'd tell them exactly where to shove this job, but jobs that pay this well, for what I do, are few and far between.  Also, I've got some 401K built up, 3 weeks of vacation a year, some small perks.  :blah:

But basically, staying here is the "less of 2 evils".

So, decide which evil is "bigger" and KILL it.  Either leave, or stay....but make the decision and commit to it.  Trust me...you will feel the pressure ease, and you wil be able to relax more, and not get that "knot in the stomach" feeling whenever you have to deal with Mumbles.

And if you decide to leave, take plenty of time to make sure "Mumbles" knows exactly why... >:D

Good luck, and be true to yourself.   ;)
Example of what NOT to say at BYOAC
"a working adult playing a video game - pathetic" - freddykruger666

nullb0y

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2023, 04:37:32 pm
  • Who wants some?
    • antinull
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2006, 05:56:24 pm »
heh some of the problems seem like you have a slight problem following a list of instructions
like you will miss a small detail and it becomes something else your doing.
i have had the same problem
i worked at a grocery store and they moved me to produce and prep so whenever they told me how to makesoemthing id allways mess up so aftar that point i just said fusk it and wrote it down or MADE THEM write it all down for me to do.
it usually led to things getting done properly and completly
but yah for lots of reasons i quit that sheit job
 :blah: :blah: :blah:
do your best to find anouther job
or make the guy think ur his best friend then when he messes up make shure the boss knows
Alright. Who wants some? Who's next? Huh? How 'bout it? Who wants some? Huh? Who wants to have a little? You.
  You want some more? Huuuh? You want a little? Do ya? Huh? You want some more? Huh? Huh? Hh!

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2006, 06:33:52 pm »
OMG OMG OMG...it was the freaking BEST today.

So I got to work, figuring I'm going to hear about the monitor first thing.

Wasn't first, but he did mention it early on...but he was in a good mood, so...

Turns out he pulled the ENTIRE monitor, just in case it was the tube. 

Earlier he had to clean out his car, so I offered to take the monitor to the shop.

He was all like "You know what?  I'll go with you, I want to hook this puppy up!"

I carry it to the shop, he follows.

We get in the shop, he announces to Cool Guy "okay, okay, clear a space, we're gonna test this thing" making a big deal out of it and everything.

We pop it on the test bench, then suddenly he whole demeanor changes.  "Jeeze...it's gonna fire right up, isn't it...ah, crap..."

Plug it in and...nothing.  "Hah!  See?  That's what it was doing!"

Cool Guy looks down.  "You didn't plug in the yoke."

Mumbles: "*What* yoke?"

Cool Guy plugs it in, and fires it up.  Viola!  Perfect picture!

Mumbles swears he plugged it in, and we think we know what happened.  Right next to the yoke plug there's a cap, guessing he got inbetween the plug and the cap, so it *felt* snug, but wasn't plugged in.

He got real quiet after that, and I doubt I'll ever hear another word about it.

:laugh2:

SithMaster

• Lets see how happy you are when you need to use a lawn mower and it keeps turning off when you want to cut up zombies.
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 12, 2014, 03:52:59 pm
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2006, 07:32:10 pm »
see stupid people usually deal with themselves in time.  maybe next time he can touch the back of a decased monitor while its plugged in.
Back in MY day we lived on the moon and we had to build a rocket ship from scratch to get to the Earth before we suffocated.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2006, 08:06:14 pm »
see stupid people usually deal with themselves in time.  maybe next time he can touch the back of a decased monitor while its plugged in.

In our line of work, we do that all the time.  It's no big deal.

Now if a heavy piece of equipment were to fall...

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2024, 10:05:51 pm
« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2006, 01:37:01 pm »
I used to have a job that I hated, and even though I didn't mean to, I used to ---smurfette--- about it at home, or at least let the negative feelings come home with me.  My wife HATED me during what we call 'the black period'.  Just be careful that you're not dumping negative emotion on your family.  I didn't realize I was doing it at the time, but I can sure see it now that I  look back. 

Just trying to keep the home fires happy bro.
Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.

mrhowell

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2024, 12:45:21 pm
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2006, 05:05:45 pm »
keep the bitching coming. 
What is that pappy?

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2024, 10:05:51 pm
« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2006, 07:53:04 pm »
Oh yeah, I didn't mean stop bitching HERE, just don't take it home :)  We like it!
Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.