Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: US anti-war mother receives fine  (Read 7176 times)

Crazy Cooter

• Senator Cooter was heard today telling the entire congressional body to STFU...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 03:40:45 pm
US anti-war mother receives fine
« on: November 17, 2005, 11:00:09 pm »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4447498.stm

I would have just tried for a permit first.

* rampy shrug *

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
Re: US anti-war mother receives fine
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 02:18:52 pm »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4447498.stm

I would have just tried for a permit first.

* rampy shrug *

Yeah, right. And when you do, you get a big, fat REQUEST DENIED!

mr.Curmudgeon

• It's going to hurt your brain. A lot.
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 07:15:49 pm
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 03:14:21 pm »

$50 is worth the price. Civil disobedience is certainly within my budget!

mrC

fredster

• Grand Prophet of Arcadeology
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2019, 04:28:53 pm
  • It's all good!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 03:16:36 pm »
Where is she working anyway? Man, I'd like to go off and do that and get paid for it.

But I can't afford to do that for very long.  I have to work for a living (sigh)

Must be nice to be able to just protest all around and not have to worry about making a living huh?

King of the Flying Monkeys from the Dark Side

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 03:24:56 pm »

Where is she working anyway? Man, I'd like to go off and do that and get paid for it.

But I can't afford to do that for very long. I have to work for a living (sigh)

Must be nice to be able to just protest all around and not have to worry about making a living huh?

Considering her son was killed because of a cause she does not believe in and that is the reason for her protests, I think she would much rather be handling a 8 - 5 job instead of protesting all around.

fredster

• Offline Offline
  • It's all good!
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 03:29:44 pm »
Her husband didn't think so when he divorced her this summer.

I kinda bet somebody is paying that fine for her don't you?

Hoopz

• Offline Offline
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 03:45:45 pm »
Yep, someone will pay the fine.  But while she has a choice on what she does (work v. protest) don't confuse that with her having a choice about WHY she choses one over the other.

fredster

• Offline Offline
  • It's all good!
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 04:16:17 pm »
I don't think I'm confused about anything.

I think what we have here is a continued publicity stunt.

She's being financed by people who want to push her agenda.
She doesn't like Bush, and her positions continue to "evolve" as well as her story.

I think her husband was the really smart one in the Marriage.
 :-X

AllisterFiend

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2013, 05:04:16 am
  • Rush 2112
    • Check out my Dragon's Lair/MAME cabinet.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 05:07:32 pm »

Considering her son was killed because of a cause she does not believe in and that is the reason for her protests, I think she would much rather be handling a 8 - 5 job instead of protesting all around.

Her protesting stopped being about her son a LONG time ago.

Allister Fiend

Hoopz

• Offline Offline
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 06:18:29 pm »
I dont agree with her position.  But I can understand her motivation.

She isn't some tool that wants to get paid for protesting instead of working.  She had her son get killed.  Knock her all you want for what she is doing.  But don't judge her on why she is doing it.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 07:12:31 pm »

You're right. It's been about bringing the rest of the troops home.

mrC

AllisterFiend

• Offline Offline
  • Rush 2112
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 07:19:06 pm »

You're right. It's been about bringing the rest of the troops home.

mrC

I'm afraid she lost all credibility when she called for the "occupied troops" to leave New Orleans.

No one really pays any attention to her anymore.  She just proves what most of us already know about the left.

Allister Fiend

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 07:36:55 pm »
She's being financed by people who want to push her agenda.

So? That's how it works...you expect that she be financed by the Swift Boar Liars For Bush?

She doesn't like Bush...

Awwwwww...*sob*.....*sob....Wonder why she dislikes him? Something about her son being killed in a war she sees as wrong? Maybe?

Why is this a valid critique of her message? Why does this matter?

But I can't afford to do that for very long. I have to work for a living (sigh)

No. It just takes courage to commit to something that would threaten you're comfort level, financial stability and/or livelihood. Which to me proves that she's a thousand times braver than most people.

Here's one of my favorite of the many idiosyncrasies possessed by righties like fredster. Their continued disdain for those that speak their minds (only if in opposition) and the idea that they can somehow lessen the validity of one's message simply be criticizing their time away from the office. Jesus. Just because you can't imagine risking your job, finances, safety and/or comfort, doesn't mean that those who do should be ridiculed for it.

Myself? I haven't always agreed with Sheehan's message, and I haven't always agreed with her actions, but I sure as hell have more respect for her than I do for someone whose too afraid to stand up for something because they may miss a few paychecks. Imagine what America would be like if our forefathers had that mentality...oh wait, there wouldn't be an America, they'd have been too afraid to lose the  work from Ole' King George III.

mrC

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2005, 07:42:02 pm »
She just proves what most of us already know about the left.

Exactly. That if you raise your voice loud enough, and speak truth to power...you can single-handedly change the course of dialog in this country. Whether you want to admit it or not, she effectively revived the anti-war movement, and knocked the current administration down to the mat. They have never fully recovered, and now we see 68% of Americans disapproving of this war, and a floor debate in the House (just tonight) about whether and/or when we should bring the troops home.

I'd say she's on her way to achieving her goal.

mrC
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 07:43:42 pm by mr.Curmudgeon »

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2005, 07:50:21 pm »
I can understand why shes doing what she's doing, but did her son believe in the war he died in?  Last I heard most troops believed we were doing the right thing, and if he did believe in the war then shes disgracing the memory of her son by using his death to push her beliefs, not his.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2005, 08:42:02 pm »
Last I heard most troops believed we were doing the right thing

Of course they do, that's their job. They're not trained to question, that's our job as family members and citizens. The expection to the rule would be if her son didn't believe in it. But it doesn't matter whether or not he believed in the war, his mother has every right to oppose it, and use his death as her motivation for doing so.

mrC

« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 08:43:35 pm by mr.Curmudgeon »

fredster

• Offline Offline
  • It's all good!
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2005, 09:13:07 pm »
No, no, no, no, NO.

It's key to understand where the money comes from FIRST mrC. Where is the money for this woman's crusade comming from?  You made an excellent point about the swift boat vets.  Where did the money actually come from there?

If somebody is paying for her little crusade, then she isn't giving up much is she?

And if her son did believe, and DIE for his beliefs and she's raking them through the coals, where's the honor in that?  She's not honoring him is she?

Here's one of my favorite of the many idiosyncrasies possessed by righties like fredster. Their continued disdain for those that speak their minds

First of all MrC, I'm not what you would really call a "rightie". I've always been left handed.

It's not "disdain" for those who "speak their mind". I love people who speak their mind, I do it all the time. 

What we have here is a group that is using this poor troubled, and somewhat naive woman to promote their agenda.

But it doesn't matter whether or not he believed in the war, his mother has every right to oppose it, and use his death as her motivation for doing so.

You don't think it's important if the son believed in what he was doing? He's the one that died. I give him credit.

She's apparently not rich. I'm not rich, and I have to work. But see the difference? She is apparently working, that's my point. She's making money doing this and dragging her son's good name through the ringer. That's my point.

There isn't much press for those mothers who are working and do support their dead's son's sacrfice, is there?

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:55:16 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2005, 09:17:04 pm »
Last I heard most troops believed we were doing the right thing

Of course they do, that's their job. They're not trained to question, that's our job as family members and citizens. The expection to the rule would be if her son didn't believe in it. But it doesn't matter whether or not he believed in the war, his mother has every right to oppose it, and use his death as her motivation for doing so.

mrC

just what i was going to say. soldiers aren't paid to believe. just to do. it's a shame more people didn't protest BEFORE their children were killed though (although having said that, i don't know that she DIDN'T protest before he went away)

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2005, 09:19:46 pm »

That is WAY TOO EASY for you to say.

Are you a parent?

If one of my children were killed in this "occupation" I have no idea how I would deal with it.  My child, my son, one of my two boys and my reasons for everything I do... killed to try and keep peace in ---smurfing--- Iraq?  I'm not pro Bush, but I'm not a liberal either... but MY CHILD.

I would probably flip so far off the deep end for a while people would be watching me for suicide or worse.

It is a monster cliche for certain, but if you are not a parent, don't ever try to presume to empathize with what a parent feels about their children.

fredster

• Offline Offline
  • It's all good!
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2005, 09:53:01 pm »
I was in the Army. We were paid to fight, paid very little too.

You worked as a team and you were expected to the difficult.  The impossible just took longer.

I was proud of the work I did. I was in after Grenada and before GW1.  I rejoined the reserves the day we invaded Iraq in Gulf War 1. By that time I was married and my wife just FREAKED out. She got over it.

Well, we won pretty quickly. Remember? I stayed in the reserves until Clinton tore them up.

Nobody ever told me I had to believe in the mission. Only that if I was there, I had to participate in the mission.

I have told my son to join the Military when he gets old enough.  It's good for you. I can see a lot of you would do very well in the military.

Performance reviews are always fair. Pay is based on experince levels.  The best rise to the top. The mess hall has steak and shrimp on Wednesdays. You can get omlets to order.

You can shoot cannons, set off LAW rockets, throw grenades, and fire M16's and 50 Cal HB machine guns to your heart's delight.

They give you a month's vacation every year. 

And you meet all kinds of interesting people...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2005, 10:00:24 pm »

I am one of the very few men in my family, on either side, that is not a veteran.  It is a point of shame in my life to a certain extent.

My grandfather was a USMC Master Sergeant in the early 1940s and wasn't even a US Citizen.  That is the depth of my family's commitment to the US Armed Forces.

But still, when a parent loses a child, they lose more than their mind, they lose their sanity.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2005, 10:26:28 pm »
Guys, (side note)

If you're not watching CSPAN right now, you're missing some of the best debate I've seen on the floor of the House in my lifetime. It's regarding the Murtha Resolution (ie: a vote on withdrawal of American troops)

I'm downing beers, cheering ---my bottom--- off at some of these speeches. Great stuff...should have been done YEARS ago!

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2005, 10:28:46 pm »
The vote to bring the resolution to the floor has passed, not they are debating the resolution itself. Then they vote. It's non-binding, but expresses the "will of the House" or something...the debate, so far, is historic. I feel like I'm living a history textbook.

AllisterFiend

• Offline Offline
  • Rush 2112
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2005, 09:09:36 am »

That is WAY TOO EASY for you to say.

Are you a parent?

Yes I Have a son, he is 14, and if and when he turns 18 and decides on his own to join the military that is his choice, I will explain to him the dangers, which I'm sure he will already know, if he still decides then my wife and I will have to accept that and live with his choice. 

You can't sit there and tell me it is about her son at this point, it is not, it might have been at first, but not anymore.  When you suddenly have every left wing group as well as every communist group (under nice little names that sound democratic: do the research on the organizations) standing behind you and basically setting her agenda everyday, it is not about her son.  She also has a contract with a speaking organization that pays her to give speeches...it is not about her son anymore, it is her job, she is now using the excuse of her son to give speeches that have very little to do about her son, but l lot to do with views on politics, some of which have nothing to do with the war.

I do not have a problem with her protesting her sons death or the war, I actually felt for her at first, but now she is just a pawn, with moveon.org leading the charge.

Allister Fiend
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 09:22:42 am by AllisterFiend »

fredster

• Offline Offline
  • It's all good!
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2005, 09:27:23 am »
Exactly. Well said. Exactly.

If this was truly a woman that lost her son and is now on a mission, I'd sympathise with her. But it's far beyond that now. She's being handled and her words and her stories continue to "evolve". 

It's not about her son. It's about her and the groups funding her. She's a tool.  If anybody thought that the swift boat vets were tools, then they should feel the same about this. It's the same thing. Exactly.

As long as we see it that way, we know where the real message is comming from.  Then you can listen without the rose colored glasses and decide on your own if the aguments have any merit.

And the war resolution was soundly defeated.  The jr rep from Ohio was threatend for calling the leadership of the measure cowards. But they all knew it was just to fuel their left wing fundraisers so they can continue.

Somebody wise once told me to never trust elected officals or people with tenure. Who was that?

Crazy Cooter

• Senator Cooter was heard today telling the entire congressional body to STFU...
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2005, 10:29:07 am »
What was put forth by the democrats was completely different than what was put forth by the republicans (which was what was voted on).

More crap instead of actual discussion/resolution.  I swear even with how we get at each other here, we have better discussion than those clowns do on capital hill... and they get paid for it  :-\.

I still think it would be nice for Bush to talk to the lady though.  I know he can't talk to everyone, but she's put more effort into trying to talk with him than some countries do.  Even if others are supporting her for their own reasons, I still think that for her it's about her kid & the war.  I'm sure her speeches are filled with bitterness now, and I don't blame her.  I'd be pretty ticked too.  She has to realize that getting killed comes with being in the military, and Bush has to realize he's partially to blame for her kid being killed.

That's why if I was her, I would have applied for the permit and then had the demonstration.  Even if I was denied.  I don't understand how you can be denied the right to demonstarte against your government in the US, but whatever.  If there was a security reason, they could have done it the next day or something.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2005, 10:36:40 am »

I also believe that for her, it is still about her son and always will be.  She is doing whatever she can to keep the message moving.

Including using all of those groups that are using her.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2005, 01:46:33 pm »
Chad,

Exactly.

Fredster,

Her stated goal has always been to "bring her son's buddies home" from what she perceives as an unjust war, so that no additional mother has to feel the grief she feels. That core mission has not changed. Sure, the methodologies she's used to further that mission have evolved, but that's just smart manuvering. We live in a fast-food /24-hr news-cycle society and I think she's been pretty savvy about keeping attention focused on her group and her mission. She's using those groups, more than they are using her. You seem to be forgetting the fact that she wasn't anything but an average mother, before her son was killed.

She has galvanized the debate somewhat, but I think in the beginning she peeled off a lot of soccer moms and moderates from supporting the war.

Bush could have shut the whole thing down if he would have talked to her, for that second time. But instead he hid inside his ranch, and only fueled speculation that he hasn't a clue about how to handle America's questions about the war.

If anybody thought that the swift boat vets were tools, then they should feel the same about this. It's the same thing. Exactly.

This couldn't be farther from the truth. The Swift Liars were headed by a Nixonian attack dog (John E. O'Neill) that had been hounding Kerry since the 70's, and funded by the Republican establishment. Sheehan is NOT being funded by establishment Democrats. Futhermore, every single accusation they made turned out to be FALSE. So, unless Sheehan's son is still alive, she has a thousand times more credibility than the Swift Liars ever did.

The huge, gaping difference between the two groups, besides the genuine validity of their claims, is that Sheehan is receiving funds from citizens and citizen-based action groups, whereas the Swift Liars received funding from GOP operatives and corporate donors (Sinclair Broadcasting, etc)

One was a highly coordinated and politically motivated attack based on misleading and/or downright false accusations designed to swing an election, another is a grassroots movement spurred on by the loss of a mother's son and designed to bring troops home from an horribly planned and executed war. To say it was politically motivated belies the fact that Sheehan, initally, gave the President the benefit of the doubt when he made the case for war. No comparison between the two groups.

mrC

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2005, 05:31:49 pm »
I was in the Army. We were paid to fight, paid very little too.

You worked as a team and you were expected to the difficult.  The impossible just took longer.

Nobody ever told me I had to believe in the mission. Only that if I was there, I had to participate in the mission.

Fredster,

Don't you throw up a little bit and have to swallow it back down when you think about when you misrepresent yourself in this way?  Associating yourself with those who are facing bullets and IEDs on a daily basis for an immoral war when you HAVE NEVER LEFT THE COUNTRY IN YOUR LIFE?

The lady's son was killed in a war that has nothing to do with protecting our country from harm.  The fact that you suggest that anyone would love to trade places with a mother who has given up everything in her life to fight against the man responsible for her son's death, simply because sympathizers will pay her fines and, I don't know, hotel rooms, shows that my narcissism pales in comparison with your complete lack of empathy -- your utter inability to understand anything that doesn't fall neatly into the extraordinarilly narrow box you've built around your mind.

Although, frankly, the fact that you deliberately trump up your military career in order to increase your credibility on the subject suggests to me that maybe you really do understand all this but you're just incredibly insensitive, selfish and ungrateful; and it is these qualities, rather than narrow-mindedness, that keep you from symathizing with this woman.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 05:33:22 pm by shmokes »
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:55:16 am
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2005, 05:01:21 am »

I have told my son to join the Military when he gets old enough.

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2005, 11:27:27 am »
Anyone see how well Cindy Sheehans book signing went? 
http://www.sweetness-light.com/archive/mother-sheehans-book-signing/

i dont know whats better, the fact that no one showed up to the book signing or that Bush let her do it at his ranch!!!! guess that shows who the texas population is more loyal too...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2005, 11:28:08 am »

She doesn't even have any books.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2005, 11:43:12 am »
Anyone see how well Cindy Sheehans book signing went? 

Jeez...do you guys even care that this is blatant misrepresentation?

Numerous sources at the event, including the photographers present in the photo have stated that the picture above was taken before people were let into the tent for the signing. They let people inside in small groups of 5, and hundreds of people showed up for the event and lined up outside the tent.

Sheehan had 100 copies or so herself to give away sell, and they were all given away sold. That's just the facts. Disagree with her all you want, but this juvenile smear stuff is so repetative and easily debunked.

I mean, if you're going to hate on the mother of a dead soldier, try to do so with a *little* more substance.

mrC

EDIT: This is the best the right has to offer in the way of criticism?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 11:49:49 am by mr.Curmudgeon »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2005, 11:51:22 am »

No, this is the best AtomSmasher has to offer.  Duh.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2005, 12:03:02 pm »

No, this is the best AtomSmasher has to offer.  Duh.

You were quick to pile on as well.

mrC

Crazy Cooter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2005, 12:06:39 pm »
Don't ever believe anything from a site that has "articles" titled:

"How [enter whatever political party] Came To Be Jackasses"

or says:

http://www.sweetness-light.com/archive/the-americans-are-coming-the-americans-are-coming/
"The sad truth is the [enter whatever political party] really are the Treason Party. Nothing matters to them except getting their hands back on the levers of power. They make their spiritual ancestors, the [deleted], look like patriots.

Too bad we don

JackTucky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2021, 12:00:58 pm
  • Soon I will post that I am a triathalete
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2005, 12:13:20 pm »

Jeez...do you guys even care that this is blatant misrepresentation?

Sheehan had 100 copies or so herself to give away sell, and they were all given away sold. That's just the facts. Disagree with her all you want, but this juvenile smear stuff is so repetative and easily debunked.

I mean, if you're going to hate on the mother of a dead soldier, try to do so with a *little* more substance.

mrC

I don't see the books there.  If this is before the sale, where are they? 

Secondly, Cindy played the "I have a dead soldier for a son 'card'" in her protests, and now looks like you're playing it too.  I don't see hatred in the posting of the picture.  Is she above criticism?  She is an anti-war protester, and those of us that are not against the war like to point out that even though she gets attention, she doesn't represent a whole bunch of people.

Art
Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2005, 12:16:43 pm »
You were quick to pile on as well.

Yeah, my comment about lack of books was scathing.  I indicted the entire left wing agenda there.  I was vicious.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2005, 12:26:44 pm »
Secondly, Cindy played the "I have a dead soldier for a son 'card'" in her protests, and now looks like you're playing it too.

Card? Wtf?  Are you accusing her of lying about her son's death? About her anger over it? You may not like what she has to say, or how she has chosen to say it, but jesus..."playing a card"...that's pretty callous.

I don't see the books there.  If this is before the sale, where are they? 

OMGZ!!@! It's a conspiracy!!! Or, as she has pointed out in interviews...she had a separate table for book purchases, so she didn't have to deal with making change and could, instead, sign books.

I don't see hatred in the posting of the picture.  Is she above criticism?

If you actually READ what I wrote...you'd see that I did not say she was above criticism, in fact, I've got my own criticisms of her. Rather, I'm tired of seeing these juvenile misrepresentations and blatant non-substantive smears from your side on anybody they happen to disagree with.

I don't post the picture of Bush holding "The Pet Goat" upside down, because it was photoshopped, I don't post the picture of Bush with the lens caps on the binoculars because he probably put them up to his eyes for a second, then realized he'd been handed a pair with the lens covered and removed them. Etc...

It's about context, and given the facts surrounding this event, posting this picture as a representation of her lack of support is tantamount to lying. Simple as that.

mrC
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 12:29:16 pm by mr.Curmudgeon »

Dexter

• Patriotism, the last refuge of the scoundrel. -- Irish, darnit!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2024, 04:36:19 pm
  • "MAKE POVERTY HISTORY......."
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2005, 12:33:16 pm »
Secondly, Cindy played the "I have a dead soldier for a son 'card'" in her protests

I think she has the right to campaign on the foot of her sons death to bring the others home. I also think she would exchange that 'card' to have her child back alive don't you? Your comment sickens me and is everything that disgusts the world about republican america. Well done.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2005, 12:35:02 pm »

Everything is a card.  When I got up this morning I played the "it's time to get up for school" card on my son.  When I went to get lunch today I played the "I have $5 card" on the cashier.  When I get home my wife will play the "I cooked it you clean it" card on me.

Life is a game of cards.

JackTucky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2005, 12:44:42 pm »
Then you marry one.

I have sympathy for all military casualties and their families.  I don't have sympathy for Cindy's agenda, however.

And if we're gonna have a "I care more" contest, Mrc, you will win.  You're a caring feeling liberal, and I'm a cold hearted conservative.   

Art
Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2005, 12:49:30 pm »

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2005, 01:08:17 pm »
I should have done my homework on the photos before posting them, I saw them on anotehr forum and thought they were funny so posted them here.  Anyways, apparently what actually happened is she had the book signing next to Bush's Ranch and the turnout was much lower then expected (around 100 people).  I got this info off a few different news websites, but I think snopes does a good good of putting all the info together:
http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/sheehan.asp

Also, how is saying her book signing was a flop criticism?  I didn't say anything for or against her message, just that I thought it was funny what happened.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2005, 02:07:58 pm »
(around 100 people).

It's says earlier in the day, she addressed a standing crowd of 100 people. Nowhere is it claiming that that is the head count of everyone that showed up. I've heard several accounts of people who were volunteering at the camp that upwards of 500 people visited the tent throughout the day.

That she is still able to draw 500 people, in Texas, to a tent in the middle of nowhere isn't exactly what I'd call a "flop".

Also, how is saying her book signing was a flop criticism?

It's not valid criticism if it doesn't take all the facts into account, that's all I'm saying. And for all intents and purposes, it wasn't a "flop."

I didn't say anything for or against her message, just that I thought it was funny what happened.

This is disingenuous at best. A picture is taken out of context and skews one's perception of a particular event, then this picture makes the rounds all over right-wing conservative websites in order to patronize and ridicule a person they are opposed too. You post it here in order to illicit laughs even though the picture does not represent the reality of the event.

I should have done my homework on the photos before posting them, I saw them on anotehr forum and thought they were funny so posted them here.

Well, unfortunately this is how a smear campaign works. They count on people not doing their homework. Hopefully next time you'll be more wary, especially if it's something on a blatantly partisan website or forum.

mrC

fredster

• Offline Offline
  • It's all good!
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2005, 02:10:14 pm »
Hopefully next time you'll be more wary, especially if it's something on a blatantly partisan website or forum.
  ???

Come now Mr.C.  How's the diary on Kos comming?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2005, 02:10:27 pm »
I hear that of that standing crowd, only about 5 people were really listening.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2005, 02:33:17 pm »
Hopefully next time you'll be more wary, especially if it's something on a blatantly partisan website or forum.
  ???

Come now Mr.C.  How's the diary on Kos comming?

How does that invalidate my statement?

I'm wary of everything I read on left-wing sites, and I don't post anything I've heard on Kos unless I can back it up elsewhere myself.

Somehow you equate picking a side with sanctioned lying. No wonder you support the Republicans.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2005, 02:34:29 pm »

PSA:

No wookies were bent in the making of that post.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2005, 02:40:19 pm »
For example, Fredster...right now I'm following a story about the 10 marines killed in Iraq on the 1st. It's now being reported on Kos (via a report from the Navy Times) that the Marines did not die while on "foot patrol" by a "roadside bomb" but were killed by a planted device inside an "abandoned flour factory."

I won't comment on the story any further because it seems that questions have now arisen and I'll wait for corroboration stories from other sources. There's a lot of speculation on Kos as to what the story means, and why there appeared to be an initial "cover-up" story...but I won't go there until further evidence surfaces.

mrC

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2005, 02:48:23 pm »
Now you're playing the dead soldiers 'card'.

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2005, 02:58:12 pm »
(around 100 people).

It's says earlier in the day, she addressed a standing crowd of 100 people. Nowhere is it claiming that that is the head count of everyone that showed up. I've heard several accounts of people who were volunteering at the camp that upwards of 500 people visited the tent throughout the day.
I'm sorry if I based my numbers on whats given in the news articles, not on what I've "heard".

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2005, 03:00:36 pm »

It is a nice looking tent, though.

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2005, 03:09:09 pm »

PSA:

No wookies were bent in the making of that post.

What's a diorama?

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

JackTucky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2005, 04:15:18 pm »
ChadTower posts make the most sense of all.

Art

*edit*

It is a nice looking tent, though.

It's impossible to argue with ChadTower. 

I like that.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 04:16:59 pm by JackTucky »

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2005, 04:25:21 pm »
So you think that it isn't a nice looking tent?

-S

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2005, 07:31:57 pm »

This is disingenuous at best. An article is written out of context and skews one's perception of a particular event, then makes the rounds all over moonbat liberal websites in order to patronize and ridicule a person they are opposed too. You post it here in order to illicit laughs even though the article does not represent the reality of the event.

I think that's about the most intelligent thing ever posted that's attributed to you, even though you don't have the courage to write such truths yourself.

Kudos to you for my honesty.  Now stop being so stupid as to tell us you somehow read into Jack's comments that he was implying Sheehan LIED about her son's death.  You not only read like a dolt in saying it, no one with a shred of COMMON sense would have come CLOSE to thinking he was implying something as inane as that.

Talk about juvenile misrepresentations of someone you don't agree with!
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2005, 07:39:04 pm »
Secondly, Cindy played the "I have a dead soldier for a son 'card'" in her protests

I think she has the right to campaign on the foot of her sons death to bring the others home. I also think she would exchange that 'card' to have her child back alive don't you? Your comment sickens me and is everything that disgusts the world about republican america. Well done.

How about using her son's death to try to further all the rest of her batshit ideas?  Are those valid points to pile on her son's death, even though they haven't a thing to do with her son's death?  If her son had died fighting for one of her OTHER batshit ideas, would that have made him losing his life somehow more tolerable for her?

Unless we bend over and grab our ankles in a fashion that appeases you or become France....meh, same thing, you'll ALWAYS be disgusted at America. 

Dexter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2005, 05:58:24 am »
..you'll ALWAYS be disgusted at America.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2005, 06:24:42 am »

I DID say republican america, but feel free to misquote me as usual.

Happy to. 

I DID say I hate any and all Americans because you are just too damn confident about your country and I can't muster up enough courage to fix MY country, so I'll complain about yours

Will that work?  ;D

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2005, 09:31:49 am »
-S

Dexter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2005, 10:33:06 am »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2005, 10:48:43 am »

y0, w0t, eye punch yer plums

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2005, 11:42:08 am »

Yep, shouldn't be a surprise to any right wing wealth-hoarding hate-mongers.  I just hope all my tree-hugging frog-licking dirt-eating moonbat cult buddies don't find out I've spilt the beans! Good job man! All you have to do now is post it repeatedly so people will finally understand the truth.  My do-gooder buddies will take me back anyway or I'll throw their "we kare teh mostest of ever-body in de wurle" mantra in their faces!  w00t!

I DID say I hate any and all Americans because you are just too damn confident about your country and I can't muster up enough courage to fix MY country, so I'll complain about yours

Yep, shouldn't be a surprise to any right wing wealth-hoarding hate-mongers.  I just hope all my tree-hugging frog-licking dirt-eating moonbat cult buddies don't find out I've spilt the beans! Good job man! All you have to do now is post it repeatedly so people will finally understand the truth.  My do-gooder buddies will take me back anyway or I'll throw their "we kare teh mostest of ever-body in de wurle" mantra in their faces!  w00t!

Dexter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2005, 12:47:36 pm »
I PRAY that I never understand the point of that post. For humanitys sake I hope there isn't one.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2005, 12:55:57 pm »

Dude, Dexter sucks enough first run, don't rerun his crap and expose us to it a second time.

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2005, 01:03:54 pm »
I PRAY that I never understand the point of that post. For humanitys sake I hope there isn't one.

Humanity is safe. If there's one thing I'm qualified to recognise, it's pointlessness.

That's a fun word. Pointlessness.

-S

Dartful Dodger

• Offline Offline

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2005, 01:24:36 pm »

We are building Democracy in Iraq because we broke our Democracy 75 years ago.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2005, 02:14:51 pm »

Humanity is safe. If there's one thing I'm qualified to recognise, it's pointlessness.

That's a fun word. Pointlessness.

-S

You need more "s's" in that word.  wait, we're all here, do you REALLY need more asses....er....essessesses

s

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2005, 02:36:36 pm »
Pointlessnessassesness.

-S

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2005, 03:10:50 pm »
Pointlessnessassesness.

-S

You're still missing a few.  Ask one of the slack-jawed-yokels trolling the halls outside your office.  They'll know how many is enough.

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2005, 03:17:17 pm »
No way. Those people in the halls scare me.

-S

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2005, 03:19:25 pm »

-S

How do you think they feel about the people in the office fishbowls they see through the glass?  They knock on that window just to make you jump.  It makes them feel like they have some power over you in case you decide to gnaw off their arm

Stingray

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2005, 03:23:23 pm »

-S

How do you think they feel about the people in the office fishbowls they see through the glass?  They knock on that window just to make you jump.  It makes them feel like they have some power over you in case you decide to gnaw off their arm

Two of them just came in here. They wanted to take my picture for the yearbook. I told them that if they published my picture, the FBI would be able to find me and then I would have to kill them both.

Been here for six years. Number of times I've appeared in the yearbook: 0.

-S

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2005, 03:29:43 pm »

Been here for six years. Number of times I've appeared in the yearbook: 0.

-S

There's a pic in my high school yearbook of me and my buddy surfing on top of our desks in front of the open window.  It was nice having a do-gooder teacher who allowed almost anything short of nudity or violence in her classroom ;D