Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Super Ultra-Mega Massive 49-way Review online at Retroblast!  (Read 25251 times)

KenToad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:05:52 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
Re: Super Ultra-Mega Massive 49-way Review online at Retroblast!
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2005, 03:10:46 pm »
Hey, RandyT, thanks for the kind comments and for inventing the GPWiz-49, still enjoying that piece of hardware. 

Kevin asked me via email whether it would be cool to just go ahead and do the review as a "setup" and I said I thought it should be done that way (something like that--we had an email exchange).  So, it wasn't entirely an editorial decision is what I mean to say. 

I guess I could have done two reviews and sort of linked the Druin's board w/Rotary Adaptor to the GPWiz-49 w/Happ 49-way joystick, but really I think that this setup is super-cool all together.  I can't imagine that anyone would get the mistaken impression that you need the Rotary Adaptor or Druin's board to get your products to work.  I would think that, together, it would only serve to help show just how versatile your product is. 

Only one spot in each of the corners?  That's surprising.  I really thought it was three, but I guess you already said that the maps wouldn't be as anyone would expect. :)

Now I really wish I had a DK machine to test out what the difference is between the original and the 49-way joystick with DRS Technology, as to how far you can rotate the joystick before it stops you on the ladder.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Cheers,
KenToad

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2005, 03:31:01 pm »
Thanks for the comments, Randy.

Curious what Mattp and the TOKN fans will say about me arguing with my "alter ego"  8)

First of all, I want to thank Ken for the outstanding work, although I'm not too keen on the editor's use of the word "co-dependant" in refering to these products.  The GP-Wiz49 works quite well without extra interface boards or rotary adapters, thankyouverymuch :).
I'm sure KevSteele will respond to this, but I think we're splitting hairs here.  The GP-Wiz49 could be used standalone with a standard joystick, but no one would buy it over the GP-Wiz or Eco unless they were going to use it with the 49-way stick.  The rotary adapter doesn't work without the 49-way stick, and Druin's board is the only way to interface it and have it work will all games.

The only thing I would be concerned with here would be if the performance of the GP-Wiz49/stick combo were worse with the rotary adapter than just using the plain stick, but it apparently isn't (except for one extreme corner), a testament to good design work by Fl0yd.
Specifically, you must continue moving up until the Mario is standing there facing away from you with both hands at his sides.  Only then can you move left or right.  Any attempt to do so before he is in that position will result in being "stuck" because he is still on the ladder.  As you can see, the joystick plays far less a role here than one's playing abilities.
Thanks for the clarification on DK, I was unsure how the problems affected this game.
Due to the long throw of the 49-way and the fact that it isn't necessary to travel anywhere near the  end of it for the DRS modes to function well, it's very, very unlikely that you will hit that diagonal without having the actual intention of doing so.  And in the case of DonkeyKong, rolling through it won't make even the tiniest bit of difference, so long as you are actually at the top of the ladder.
Question for RandyT, Markrvp, or KenToad, or Kremmit, or others:

KenToad says that the throw is approximately 20 degrees at full travel.  Mark has said that the mounting (center) hole should not be wider than 1-1/4" to keep travel limited (presumably below a 3/4 inch panel).  Randy has recommended routing out the panel to 3/8 to allow smaller mounting holes.

Assuming 20-degrees is the full travel, can someone comment on how much travel can be restricted before the diagonals don't register.  Or in simpler terms, what is the minimum recommended hole size for each panel thickness that keeps the stick from having such a long throw, but still allows the diagonals to work in Tron.

Thanks again to all who made this possible.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:03:08 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2005, 03:31:58 pm »
Hey, RandyT, thanks for the kind comments and for inventing the GPWiz-49, still enjoying that piece of hardware.

No problem, and I'm happy you like it.

Kevin asked me via email whether it would be cool to just go ahead and do the review as a "setup" and I said I thought it should be done that way (something like that--we had an email exchange).  So, it wasn't entirely an editorial decision is what I mean to say. 

Don't get me wrong.  I have no problem with how the review was put together.  What bothers me is that anyone who knows what the word "co-dependent" means, will get the impression that you need all of that stuff, and it may scare them off.  It all comes down to whether or not appropriate importance is placed in making sure that you "say what you mean and mean what you say." 

Only one spot in each of the corners?  That's surprising.  I really thought it was three, but I guess you already said that the maps wouldn't be as anyone would expect. :)

Only one and it's in the far corners.  If anything, it might take a little practice just to hit it. not the other way around.

Now I really wish I had a DK machine to test out what the difference is between the original and the 49-way joystick with DRS Technology, as to how far you can rotate the joystick before it stops you on the ladder.

The original is mechanically restricted, so the only way to stop on a ladder is to move horizontally before you are supposed to.  No stick can account for that.  But I think I understand what you are saying.

Randy

KevSteele

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 01, 2021, 08:42:43 am
  • Retrogaming Media Mogul in Rehab
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2005, 03:44:33 pm »
First of all, I want to thank Ken for the outstanding work, although I'm not too keen on the editor's use of the word "co-dependent" in refering to these products.
Kevin Steele, Former Editor and Publisher of RetroBlast! and GameRoom Magazine

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2005, 03:49:09 pm »
Don't get me wrong.  I have no problem with how the review was put together.  What bothers me is that anyone who knows what the word "co-dependent" means, will get the impression that you need all of that stuff, and it may scare them off.  It all comes down to whether or not appropriate importance is placed in making sure that you "say what you mean and mean what you say." 
Fair enough.  I withdraw my earlier comment.  Mattp should note that I now agree with myself, so maybe I am RandyT (okay, I'll drop the TOKN references).  I suggest using "inter-related" instead of "co-dependent", but then again, Kev already used intertwined, so maybe just scratch the co-dependent reference.

The original is mechanically restricted, so the only way to stop on a ladder is to move horizontally before you are supposed to.  No stick can account for that.  But I think I understand what you are saying.
Let me expand on this as I no longer see a problem.

With a restricted 4-way, depending how the leafs are adjusted, you will either get a dead zone, a diagonal, or a transition from up to left if you move the stick CCW while climbing the ladder.  I'm not sure how the game handle diagonals, but presumably it either keeps the primary direction or shifts to the new direction (sticky or non-sticky mode in MAME) or ignores it - same as a dead spot).  Either way, you end up stuck on the ladder if anything beyond the diagonal is registered.

With the 49-way, we know the stick is going to send Up, then Up-Left (for one position only), then Left.

The in-game behavior should be identical to a pretty well-adjusted 4-way stick.  (In other words, even with a restricted 4-way, you can bend the leafs in until it will easily hit the diagonals.  You can also bend the leafs out to where the stick has a large dead zone, but will not hit a diagonal.  The 49-way seems to hit the balance just about dead-on). 
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2005, 03:52:00 pm »
I'm sure KevSteele will respond to this, but I think we're splitting hairs here.  The GP-Wiz49 could be used standalone with a standard joystick, but no one would buy it over the GP-Wiz or Eco unless they were going to use it with the 49-way stick.

I think a quote is in order:

Quote from: Kevin Steele
Normally I'd put out three separate reviews, but the three products are so intertwined and co-dependent that it seemed better to review them as a gestalt whole, so to speak. -KS

The three products (which three?  I count four if you actually include the stick) are not "intertwined" nor "co-dependent", they just happen to be able to be combined for a heck of a lot of functionality and were reviewed in that configuration. 

Editor: "Ah, but you do need a 49-way joystick, don'tcha? ;)"

Yes, of course.  But not only that one.  Please look up those words you used and you will see why your statement is incorrect.

I guess it wouldn't be a review of a GGG product without some nit to be picked by Randy, though...

Nor would it be a Retroblast review if Kevin didn't inject innaccuracies even into the work of others.

Anyway......horse=dead

RandyT

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2005, 03:59:14 pm »
Editor: "Ah, but you do need a 49-way joystick, don'tcha?  ;)"
Actually, no - read my earlier post - you have 23-inputs so you could hook up a Happ Super and 19 buttons, it would just be an expensive way to do it.  (But if you eventually wanted the 49-way stick but wanted to get something workable on a budget . . .)
Like I said, I would have broken the products out into separate reviews but Ian felt that they worked best as a "system" - granted, you can always split the GP-Wiz/Happs 49 combo out from the rotary attachment, but I think everyone realizes that.
I agree with reviewing all the products together.
I guess it wouldn't be a review of a GGG product without some nit to be picked by Randy, though...
Okay, I basically thought it was a cheap shot by Randy that Kev would respond to, but now I see Randy's point.  You guys go back to your corners and play nice before Saint has to kill another otherwise useful thread.   :police:

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2005, 04:01:49 pm »

Nor would it be a Retroblast review if Kevin didn't inject innaccuracies even into the work of others.

Anyway......horse=dead

RandyT

Glad I could be of service, and I'm amazed that I could, with one small sentence, destroy another review of your products. Makes me feel warm and tingly all over...

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2005, 04:12:08 pm »
Glad I could be of service, and I'm amazed that I could, with one small sentence, destroy another review of your products. Makes me feel warm and tingly all over...  ::)

No, it was a good review.  Not even you could sully that part.  ;)

RE: Hole size

In a metal panel, you could use a much smaller hole.  The size is going to change based on thickness.  In a few days when the ball-tops become available, the sizes will change for the better as the shafts will be narrower.

As a side note, the new shafts should offer a tighter fit and better precision than the originals, but might take a small amount of tweaking by the end user.  More details on this will follow....

RandyT

« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 04:15:49 pm by RandyT »

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2005, 04:13:53 pm »
Glad I could be of service, and I'm amazed that I could, with one small sentence, destroy another review of your products. Makes me feel warm and tingly all over...  ::)
It was more than a small sentence, at least an average sized one.  And RandyT didn't have any  problems with the first sentence:

This is a bit of an unusual review, as it includes three products from three different manufacturers.

although now that I read it again, it's three vendors and four manufacturers, as Happ makes both the 49-way joysticks and the switches for the rotary adapters, but why be difficult.

so at least with RandyT, Kev got it half-right.  That's better than RandyT would usually give him.

* Tiger-Heli asks where all the popcorn went?

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2005, 04:26:25 pm »
Glad I could be of service, and I'm amazed that I could, with one small sentence, destroy another review of your products. Makes me feel warm and tingly all over...

fl0yd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2009, 12:24:39 am
    • Rotary Adapter for Midway 49-Way Joystick
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2005, 04:37:08 pm »
Happ makes both the 49-way joysticks and the switches for the rotary adapters, but why be difficult.

Just a point of clarification.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 04:53:19 pm by fl0yd »

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2005, 04:49:32 pm »
With the 49-way, we know the stick is going to send Up, then Up-Left (for one position only), then Left.

It's really better than that.  Using your example, Up-Left would only occur if the stick were pushed and rolled at the outside edge of the travel, which, IMHO, would not be the way I would play to expect any decent scores (hard to react quickly with unecessary travel).  Inside that, the transition between Up and Left is a "perfect" one, with no dead space or overlap.

RandyT

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2005, 10:19:08 pm »
Jab, Jab, Jab. 

I'm glad to see you guys aren't using the strong and fierce buttons that often.

Anyway, Kevin and Randy, I respect both of you guys and I'm sorry to see your lack of appreciation for each other, although I'll admit it can make browsing this topic a bit more titillating. :D

Cheers,
KenToad

Timoe

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2009, 09:50:12 am
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2005, 12:02:04 am »
Aw crack! Randy T, I just ordered blue slikstik ball topsfor some supers and competitions!

Now YOU'RE gonna have ball tops for the 49-way?!

Arrrrrrrgh.  I guess I'll buy some but maybe we can offer a blue one?  :o

(btw, Randy thanks for the GREAT products and service BUT KevSteele just HOOKED YOU UP by hosting that review  ;D

IreM72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2009, 11:42:42 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2005, 07:08:45 am »
The review was very good, but I feel it would have been better with a few more additions.

I agree that gameplay is most important and most of the modes were tested with games but the 2 way and 8 way were not. I know there are lots of 8 way games that no one will ever play but a few of the more popular games like metal slug and double dragon etc. could have been tested, which would have added more completeness to the review of the drs modes

There was no mention of the 16 way mode. Did you find any use for it? I know it was originally intended for 720 but didn't work. Does that mean we will never get to play this great game with the 49-ways?

It would have been good if you were testing on a dual 49-way control panel, as it would have been great to hear how the dual 4 way and 8 way games like karate champ, robotron and Smash TV etc. play, (as it is getting very difficult to find wico 8-ways in good condition these days) but if you didn't want to play these games it doesn't matter, as you shouldn't
have to buy extra controls only for reviewing purposes.

Overall I was waiting for the review and enjoyed it. I'll be going for the 49 way.

Now I've got a few questions about discussions in this thread:

What is a restricted 4-way joystick? Is it a normal 4-way leaf wico, or an 8-way with a restrictor plate/actuator so that it behaves like a 4-way? (I'm still a newbie)

I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that ALL low res analog games play well but the high res ones do not. Whenever the analog games are mentioned it's always the same ones like roadrunner, starwars,paperboy,
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 07:42:48 am by V_x_V »

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2005, 09:11:19 am »
   Arrrrrrrgh.  I guess I'll buy some but maybe we can offer a blue one?  :o

Now where have I heard that before....LOL

Sorry, I'm afraid the only blue one that will be available for a while will be a really gorgeous translucent blue.

RandyT

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2005, 10:22:08 am »
I'll let someone else comment on the performance of the 8-way modes as I would just seem biased.

Now I've got a few questions about discussions in this thread:

What is a restricted 4-way joystick? Is it a normal 4-way leaf wico, or an 8-way with a restrictor plate/actuator so that it behaves like a 4-way? (I'm still a newbie)

Both types have only 4 switches.  The shape of the hole dictates how many can be actuated at the same time.

RandyT: Why don't you do "pure 4 way mode" to address this donkey kong  issue?

Because many, many hours of testing show that there is no "issue", either with Donkey Kong or any other 4-way title. 

With a normal digital 8-way stick, problems arise due to the fact that they are designed to react fairly quickly to a players actions in any of the 8 possible directions.  This means that when a player tries to use only the 4 primary directions, they will invariably waver into the areas that close 2 of the switches at the same time, giving an unwanted diagonal.  This problem is compounded on spring centered sticks as the resistance actually decreases as the throw is increased, making it easier to mistakenly wander into those areas.

The 4-way DRS mode of the GP-Wiz49 does not suffer from these problem for several reasons:

1)  Diagonal directions are impossible over the range where the stick works best for a 4-way game.  This can be seen by going into the gaming options screen in Windows while in 4-way DRS mode.  Make circles with the stick, starting with very small ones and slowly increase the size to see what I mean.

2)  The centering mechanics of the "grommet" used on the 49-Way actually works dead opposite of the spring used in a normal 8-way stick.  The further you push the stick, the more resistance occurs.  If you always played at the outside reaches of the throw, you would likely become pretty tired after not much time.  This has the effect of keeping you where you want to be.

3)  The 49-ways have an extended throw, probably twice that of conventional digital sticks.  However, the players intentions are acted upon with only the slightest off-center movement. The 4 spots where diagonals are possible are positioned so far beyond where normal gameplay occurs, one really needs to try to hit them, which is in stark contrast to the digital 8-ways, where it's almost impossible not to.

4)   As was stated, you can't divide the corners between the 2 primary directions.  Inaction is almost always better than unintended action, but as it is very unlikely one would hit these in error, this one is somewhat moot.

RandyT

IntruderAlert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2007, 09:10:59 am
  • Chicken.. Fight Like A Robot
    • Intruder Alert
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2005, 10:42:35 am »
nice review!

now.. if only we could see that trackball roundup ;)

KevSteele

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2005, 11:32:54 am »
nice review!

now.. if only we could see that trackball roundup ;)

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

I'm working on it: Scott of MAMEroom is building my "trackball test panel" this weekend using his CNC equipment, so I should have nice, perfect mounting holes this time (Randy's complaint about my OmniStik Prodigy review

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2005, 12:27:23 pm »
as someone who has a 4way with a restrictor plate... and multiple 8ways.  It is really obvious when you play some games. 

but not the way it used to.  the diagonals are now dead spots.  MAME ignores all diagonals on any 4way game (you used to do the "left not up not down" trick, but they added this automatically a long time ago).

So now the trouble is dead zones. 

btw, I would like try try and create a 8way driver for 4way games which switches direction on change of state, not on direction.  IE, if you are up and move to up/left it will change to left.  If you then go to real left its left.  Then if you change to up/left it will then move up.  IE the diagonals will change state based in the direction you came from.  Motion from bottom left to upper left would have to have a special rule. 

Anyway, it seems like this would work well, but a lot of work to add it to mame for me since I have two dedicated 4way joysticks.

last btw.  This has nothing to do with the 49way controller or joystick.  Just kinda on the side topic.  I still want a setup (for a cocktail cab... I think its amazing ESPECIALLY for a cabinet without hotswap control panels.   

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2005, 02:21:25 pm »
As far as playability of certain games, I still would rather reach some sort of consensus here on the forum.  I can say over and over again that I like the performance of all of the modes except 16-way, which I haven't really found a use for yet, but I don't think that will satisfy anyone. 

i.e. I hardly mentioned the 8-way mode functioning because it has always worked well.  I do have a dual 49-way setup and tried Robotron and Crazy Climber, but not Karate Champ.  Truthfully, I have no problems with those games with regular spring-loaded joysticks. 

The 49-ways in 8-way mode do a wonderful job on all the 8-way games I've tested.  I just don't like the feel of the sticks for fighters like SFII.

I think Minwah stated it best in this thread about the playability of hi-res analog games and the relevance of needing to point to something specific on screen or not.  For example, Spy Hunter and Paperboy worked really well, IMO, but that was probably just due to the fact that there was nothing small that needed to be targeted, as in Star Wars and Red Baron, although Red Baron was better than Star Wars (bigger targets?). 

Star Wars, btw, is the game I use most often as a benchmark for the analog functioning because it seems to be the most controversial.  I believe PaigeOliver said that Star Wars with a 49-way really sucked.  I didn't think it was too bad.  Then again I haven't played the original in many many years and wasn't that good at the game to begin with.

These things are very subjective, as I stated before.  I welcome anyone with the joysticks to chime in on how they like them with different games in different modes.  I wouldn't be surprised if there are widely varying opinions on this topic.  I've tried to give my rationale along with my opinions, since I think that's really the only way anyone can make the decision to take the plunge or not. 

Anyway ... balltops, eh?  I see another review looming. :) 

Cheers,
KenToad

Minwah

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2005, 04:42:23 pm »
The 49-ways in 8-way mode do a wonderful job on all the 8-way games I've tested.  I just don't like the feel of the sticks for fighters like SFII.

Agreed...I was surprised how well mine worked with 8-way games (bear in mind mine are via SJC so using MAME's analog>digital conversion).  I didn't like fighters with it either, but it isn't my primary stick so it doesn't matter much to me.

If anyone has this 49-way setup and a trackball, I'd like to know how it works for Snake Pit.  Previously I found the 49-way stick a bit wierd with my left hand (Snake Pit should have a 4-way), and it seemed more difficult.  I wonder how well it works using Randy's 4-way DRS mode??...

Edit: can't wait for the balltops too  ;D

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2005, 07:29:45 pm »

These reviews are really ridiculus imop.

If you are a gamer that dosnt care if they die often.. and do not want to reach record breaking scores and level increases.. then sure,  this may be the joy and encoder for you.

However, if you are a true classic lover and know exactly how the game is supposed to be controlled and feels...  this will only dissapoint.  Or, if you want to experience a game as its supposed to control..ect.    IE: you may actually get pissed at a game thinking its your lack of skills.. when its actaully the poor control that is the major factor.  This can lead to a poor opinion of a really great game.

How can someone review this and compare to a 4way joystick when they barely remember a real 4 way?  When they are not even good at the game they are trying to review?   Come on!   If you want a REAL review... get a seasoned pro that is an addict and high score achiever to that specific game and control type.
Then you will have a reliable and truthfull review.   Otherwise, you get this crap
from people that have no real clue.   Its like asking a blind person to review a movie.   Youll only really get a partial review... not a sum total review.

I honestly was a person that once thought that Leaf joysticks were crap.. cause they bent out of position at times, and needed cleaning often.   I also liked the accurate click of the micros.   However, it was because I didnt remember what the real classics felt like.  I didnt realize the many benefits that a true wico leaf would provide.

I luckily fond a Robotron machine with its wico leafs still in it, about 2yrs ago.   Played many games, and got incredibly addicted.   The games reaction times need to be faster than any other game Ive ever played.   A slip of a quarter of a second and wrong direction or non movment.. and your gone.   

I decided to try to fire it up at home with mame.   Tried dual comp 8ways.  Horrible.   Couldnt move accurately or fast enough.   Tried supers cause they have the round restrictor.    Better for changing directions smoother.. but still, horrible reaction times.   

Leafs have an almost instant reaction.   Just a tiny touch, and its going.  Barly a dead spot at all. 

Another thing I didnt realize was about leaf buttons.   I used to hate them cause they have such a long travel.  I didnt realize you do not have to press them all the way down.  (same for leaf joys.  not needed to press them all the way to end of travel)   They will register with a very light touch, and very little depth needed.   In this way, you can actaully fire much faster than a micro.

And then theres the restrictor realization.  A true classic like MsPacman I also recently played had a restrictor joy.  I was amazed at how much better it felt to slide the stick shaft along the diagnol restrictor edge.  It made the cornering much easier and faster.   While I thought I controlled the game fine with my 8way comp..  I learned that this was much better.  I found this esp with the speed hack version... where an 8way was nearly impossible to get perfect results from.   Again.. Id been converted.

One thing you notice here.. is that If you make any comment that is opposite to Randy... he will become an instant enemy.  Turning very ugly with nasty attitude, heavy and commentary... and even personal attacks.   I expect that the thread will get even uglier very soon.

I can not comment exactly on how this thing works, cause I do not have one to test.  However, I can based on my experiences predict that this is just a substandard replacment for the arcade accurate controls.    Its a decent idea.. that just dosnt work out to control perfection.   

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2005, 10:25:59 pm »
I can not comment exactly on how this thing works, cause I do not have one to test.  However, I can based on my experiences predict that this is just a substandard replacment for the arcade accurate controls.    Its a decent idea.. that just dosnt work out to control perfection. 

Then why comment? IMO the review was based on one person's experience with the product(s) and was written to share that experience.  Anyone can easily say yea or nay to a product or idea.  But until that person actually uses that product, any idea or statement of fact about how it works is frankly idiotic.

As someone who spent an average bit of time in the arcades and playing these games during the late 70's and 80's, I have a comfort level with certain games.  Does that I mean I can pick up XYZ product and compare it to the Joys in Scramble that I played for a week at church camp?  No.  Does that mean that I want to read a review and multiple reviews if possible about varoius products so that I may make an intelligent decision as I possibly can?  Yes.

Do I have these products?  No.  Did the review help me get a better idea of the products.  Yes.  Did the ensuing discussion add value?  Ok, so thats a loaded question LOL.

But to pipe in when you obviously have a personal conflict with someone does not add value to the situation.  I have learned quite a bit from reading the answers from Randy, Andy, Kev and others.  I have products from one of them, but that's irrelevant to this discussion.  You yourself said:

If you want a REAL review... get a seasoned pro that is an addict and high score achiever to that specific game and control type.
Then you will have a reliable and truthfull review.   Otherwise, you get this crap
from people that have no real clue.   Its like asking a blind person to review a movie.   Youll only really get a partial review... not a sum total review.

I would say follow your own advice Xaiou2.  If you havent experienced these products first hand, how can you judge them?

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2005, 11:05:59 pm »
"Then why comment?"

I do not have the right to comment?  Come on.   
And... my comments were not really agressive twords the product.  They are more agressive on the quality of the 'Reviewer'.

"IMO the review was based on one person's experience with the product(s) and was written to share that experience.  Anyone can easily say yea or nay to a product or idea.  But until that person actually uses that product, any idea or statement of fact about how it works is frankly idiotic."

Actually its not.   Im an avid game player from age 6 till 31.   Grew up on the classics.   Have managed an arcade and fixed them.  Have collected them as well.
My opinions are based on mechanical knowledge, and experiences.  And experiences with how these games play and work.  I also OWN most of the various controller types.    I think Im much more qualified to give an opinion on this that matter more than someone who has not a clue about many of the classics, can not play them well anyway, and dosnt know both the hardware side of it as well as the mechnical side of it.   Just looking at the device, I can see things that most people would not see in it.    I can see why certain parts of it are beneficial and where they would help.. as well as see why certain parts of it are detremental... all by looking at the very construction of the joystick itself.

"Did the ensuing discussion add value?"

This is what I mean.   The kid played a few 'recent' games.   So his weight is twords the game types and even controller types that he is familiar with.  If those work out well..  then his opinions are really worthless twords the classics which he has no clue about.  And, worthless about feeling and control... cause he has not been able to compare them to original equipment.   

Whos review would you want to read if you were considering a sportscar that just came out?   Some average joe that happend to drive a corvette once in his life?  Or an avid motorgeek that has driven hundreads of supercars, raced them, built them, fixes them...ect?   The average joe isnt going to be able to tell you squat.. and his opinions may be also be seriously flawed.   This could lead to people buying these devices and feeling quite upset at the results.   

The Discussion here, is exactly what you said I shouldnt comment on... is about what is wrong with the review.  Not about the product.   Thats personal opinion, but also from a very qualified source.

"But to pipe in when you obviously have a personal conflict with someone"

Ive added thiis because of the uglyliness of the thread as i see a battle in progress with retroblast and randy.   The statement was more or less a shot at randy to take a chill pill.   Not to be personally offended when someone dosnt agree with his opinions.. and to really look at how his actions makes him look.

"I would say follow your own advice Xaiou2.  If you havent experienced these products first hand, how can you judge them? "

Ive already stated above why I can.  But I am willing to accept they may have some good to them.  However, I would not accept that untill I read a Real review... from a qualified unbiased reviewer. 

I probably should have spoke up when Retroblast was asking for a reviewer.   Just my time has been limited.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 11:08:05 pm by Xiaou2 »

Timoe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2009, 09:50:12 am
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2005, 11:46:39 pm »
Ughhhh ^  ::)

PoDunkMoFo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 07:27:17 pm
  • If we weren't all crazy we would go insane... JB
    • Visual Horizons
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2005, 11:58:49 pm »
This one time at church camp  :angel:

Tommy Boy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2010, 04:13:56 am
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2005, 12:20:12 am »
Otherwise, you get this crap
from people that have no real clue.
  ::)

Xiaou2, I post very rarely but have been lurking around here for close to five years.  It's been my experience that personal comments like the quote from you above are certainly not a rarity in your posts.  And yet you have the nerve to point a finger at RandyT and accuse him of personal attacks.  ??? ::)

Dude, read your first post again.  I don't think KenToad deserves that crap for just trying to add something to this community.  If you don't like his contribution then be constructive in your criticism.  Don't just dismiss it as "crap".  You haven't even used the product in question.

And another thing: Your opinion is just as valid as everyone elses.  In other words, some of us enjoy our MAME time for reasons other than trying to set a world record high score.  I'm into this hobby as a distraction, a way to relax and tie into some good memories from my youth.

So I'm willing to make a compromise on my controls.  They don't need to be exact replicas and, for practical reasons, I would really love to find a one-stick-does-it-all soution.  For that reason I've been waiting for the review that KenToad authored and, I for one, enjoyed it!  Others have also.

I appreciate your experiences and love of this hobby.  But please don't presume to speak for me, especially when you're being rude.

Thanks.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2005, 12:51:38 am »

There was no mention of the 16 way mode. Did you find any use for it? I know it was originally intended for 720 but didn't work. Does that mean we will never get to play this great game with the 49-ways?

As far as playability of certain games, I still would rather reach some sort of consensus here on the forum.  I can say over and over again that I like the performance of all of the modes except 16-way, which I haven't really found a use for yet, but I don't think that will satisfy anyone.

While we're dredging up the 16-way thing again, it's my fault.  I asked RandyT for it back when he was still finishing development on the GP49, and testing with a Williams 49-way I sent him.  I thought that since the  skater in 720 moves in 16 directions, a 16-way mode would work well for that game.  Randy was able to implement the mode without much trouble, and was kind enough to include it- Thanks, Randy!  He stated at the time that it might work, and might not- he was just tossing it in as a freebie.

Well, have a look here- here's the results of my testing with 16-way mode and 720.
See this topic.  720 works pretty darn well with a 49-way and a GP-Wiz 49 in "raw" analog mode, better than it does with the 16-way mode.  I used a modified Williams 49-way, which is a different stick than the Happ/Midway ones used in KenToad's reviews.  However, other members have posted that they have played the game with their Happ/Midway, and found it to be playable- it just won't feel as much like a real 720 stick with the Happ/Midway.

There may still be some use for 16-way, though. 
You know, 16 way DRS may still prove useful.  I just remembered somebody was asking about Intellivision controllers a while back, and mentioned they had 16 directions.  Anybody know if Intellivision emulators handle 16 directions from an analog joystick?
Never seen where anybody's investigated this, though.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2005, 12:51:48 am »
Also been some discussion about 4 way joysticks and Donkey Kong here.. Thought I'd add to that.
Donkey Kong did NOT use a Wico joystick, or a Happ, or anything else you see for sale now.  DK, and every other Nintendo title upt through at least Super Mario and the Vs. games, used a Nintendo Joystick.  They were also NOT leafswitch joysticks, they used microswitches (first vendor to go to microswitches?) and the microswitches had a little metal lever actuator, like the ones on a Happ Super.  They also didn't use a grommet, they had a ball-pivot assembly similar to the one on Monroe joysticks.  The Nintendo joystick base assembly was the same on 2, 4, and 8-way games, and just had a small restrictor plate that screwed on to the bottom of the joystick assembly to force the stick into 2, 4, or 8-way mode.  These plates are frequently missing, leaving the stick with a perfectly round hole instead, but 8-way games *did* ship with a non-round restrictor.

Here's a pic of the 4-way restrictor- note that it's NOT the familiar diamond pattern you see on 4-ways today, but more of a clover pattern.  This shape was why you would NEVER hit a diagonal on an original DK machine- the stick couldn't even get CLOSE to the corner.  That's why RandyT's 80s gaming book mentions getting stuck on the ladders with relation to not climbing all the way up, but does NOT talk about getting stuck because you accidentally hit a diagonal.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2005, 05:00:10 am »
Xiaou2, I post very rarely but have been lurking around here for close to five years.  It's been my experience that personal comments like the quote from you above are certainly not a rarity in your posts.  And yet you have the nerve to point a finger at RandyT and accuse him of personal attacks.  Huh Roll Eyes

Well let me say this.   Ive been here a lot longer than you.  And have posted good helpfull information to others when I can.     Ive had to defend myself and others from Bashing by overbearing posters and or posters with rotten attitudes, ego troubles, and much more.   While you may not like to read it - look away.  Ive learned not to take others abuse.  I did that way too much when I was younger.   

Dude, read your first post again.  I don't think KenToad deserves that crap for just trying to add something to this community.  If you don't like his contribution then be constructive in your criticism.  Don't just dismiss it as "crap".  You haven't even used the product in question.

It really wasnt my intention to have it come out that way.   So I appologize for that.

However, I stand by my opinion that his review and views on the product are shallow and unenlightened.    I believe he even stated it in his own review that he wasnt sure he was qualified to review the thing as he didnt have the others to compare with..ect..    Lets be real.. I wasnt trying to insult the guy at all.  Im merely saying that there are others that would be more qualified to make a better review.   

And another thing: Your opinion is just as valid as everyone elses.  In other words, some of us enjoy our MAME time for reasons other than trying to set a world record high score.  I'm into this hobby as a distraction, a way to relax and tie into some good memories from my youth.

Well, so am I.  However, when I play a game like robotron, Id rather have fun getting to level 34  rahter than level 10 at best.   If you do not care that you die easily cause your control stinks... thats your problem.   Im not trying to set records either.  I enjoy relaxing and playing, care less about score...ect.  But I do care when my control is poor.. because that is not me making the mistake or causing the problem.   There are many others who feel the same.   In fact, Ive heard that a designer of robotron wouldnt touch a mame cab version of it.  Im almost certain it was cause it had the wrong type of joysticks installed in it and he knew it right away.

So I'm willing to make a compromise on my controls.  They don't need to be exact replicas and, for practical reasons, I would really love to find a one-stick-does-it-all soution.  For that reason I've been waiting for the review that KenToad authored and, I for one, enjoyed it!  Others have also.

Hey,  thats your opinion.  I have nothing wrong with that.   However,   its you that has a problem with my opinion it seems. 

However.. I do get a little bent about useage of impropper controls.   Because it can make a great game appear to be poor to the first time player of that game.    Id rather see replicas of wico leafs that work perfectly for these games rahter than a do it all joy thats 'ok' at best.  Ill drive my ferrari,  and you can have your neon.

I appreciate your experiences and love of this hobby.  But please don't presume to speak for me, especially when you're being rude.

Thanks.

Who says Im speaking for eveyone - esp you?   

I can tell you that Ive been wrong in the past and people have schooled me.  Im just spreading the wealth that was givin to me.. and the stuff that Ive learned and experienced on my own.   Take it or leave it... thats what I will do.   

Chris

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2005, 09:18:05 am »
Donkey Kong did NOT use a Wico joystick, or a Happ, or anything else you see for sale now.
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2005, 01:21:44 pm »
  If you are a gamer that dosnt care if they die often.. and do not want to reach record breaking scores and level increases.. then sure,  this may be the joy and encoder for you.

You have had no exposure to this product whatsoever. Therefore you are not qualified to make such statements.  End of story.  I, however, watched someone who had never even touched this control combo before "kick a_s and take names" with every game he played.  He was one of those high scoring gaming fanatics you refer to, not an "arcade politician" like yourself.

However, if you are a true classic lover and know exactly how the game is supposed to be controlled and feels...  this will only dissapoint.

This may surprise you, but advances in technology can actually provide better control mechanisms than were available 20+ years ago. Pardon me for saying so, but a little more objectivity on your part might be in order.

I didnt realize the many benefits that a true wico leaf would provide.

Just like you now don't realize the benefits of the 49-ways with a GP-Wiz49 interface.  Not everyone has the space (or desire) for a rotating monstrosity of a control panel.  That doesn't mean they should suffer with a stick that only works well for a limited number of titles.

(same for leaf joys.  not needed to press them all the way to end of travel)   They will register with a very light touch, and very little depth needed.

Well, at least there is one thing you would like about the 49-way setup, as these react pretty closely to your leaf-switch examples.

One thing you notice here.. is that If you make any comment that is opposite to Randy... he will become an instant enemy.  Turning very ugly with nasty attitude, heavy and commentary... and even personal attacks.

This statement is actually pretty comical.  You make a personal attack, and then accuse me of making...ummm....personal attacks  :D  Most times I can back up my comments with factual references, something my "enemies" (by your definition) never seem to find necessary..

I can not comment exactly on how this thing works, cause I do not have one to test.

(I think that was the "money shot" :) )

However, I can based on my experiences predict that this is just a substandard replacment for the arcade accurate controls.    Its a decent idea.. that just dosnt work out to control perfection.   

"Control perfection" in someone's living room doesn't exist.  It can't.  Even your bizzaro control panel with what you seem to think has every control (some of which are not original because you made parts of them yourself) isn't like the real deal.  True authenticity would dictate specific mounting angles and heights for each control as they existed on each machine.  Otherwise, this would affect your interaction with them, not to mention button spacing and the like. 

There were also how many? different leaf and/or microswitch joysticks out there, each with their own mechanical dynamic?  Do you expect us to believe that you have (and use) the original stick for every one of the games you play?

Your concept of perfection seems to go only as far as you deem fit and you seem to think everyone else should take your version of it as the benchmark.  I'm not sure who it is you think you are to make a determination like that, but I remain unimpressed.  I'm sure others have their own thoughts on this as well.

I do not have the right to comment? Come on.

Would it stop you if someone said you didn't?   The interesting paradox I see is that you feel you have the right to demean the reviewer because they don't possess your "experience" with controls.  Yet, you think it's perfectly acceptable to talk about the functionality of the 49-way with the GP-Wiz49 interface, even though you have absolutely no experience with them whatsoever.  At least he actually uses the products he wrote about.  Can you say that?

And... my comments were not really agressive twords the product. They are more agressive on the quality of the 'Reviewer'.

Outside of the fact that this statement is a lie, neither deserves your "aggression"

"IMO the review was based on one person's experience with the product(s) and was written to share that experience. Anyone can easily say yea or nay to a product or idea. But until that person actually uses that product, any idea or statement of fact about how it works is frankly idiotic."
Actually its not.

No, actually, it is.  You are a user of technology.  You have never invented nor engineered a controller that was in comercial use, nor have you really worked in the "industry" in a capacity that would qualify you to make such blind determinations. You have already been rightfully sluffed off by someone who had worked in the "industry", in previous threads where you made similar statements.  Without actually knowing what was going through the minds of the designers, engineers, and business people at SEGA, NAMCO, STERN, UNIVERSAL, etc...., you are spewing nothing but uninformed conjecture, and the quality of conjecture is only as good as the intellect behind it.

Arcade "managers" were the most egregious violators of keeping original controls on games.  When faced with the choice between a loss of income or installing a sub-par control into a machine, you know what the decision was.  In fact, it would surprise me greatly if you yourself weren't guilty of such a thing at least once in your illustrious arcade manager career.

The average joe isnt going to be able to tell you squat.. and his opinions may be also be seriously flawed. This could lead to people buying these devices and feeling quite upset at the results.

Actually, the "average joe" is precisely the person that should be doing this.  He doesn't have all your "experience" to cloud his judgement.  All he knows is whether things happen on the screen in direct response to his actions, precisely as they did for you the first time you played any of the "classics" you keep talking about.

Not about the product. Thats personal opinion, but also from a very qualified source.

If you say so  ::)

But I am willing to accept they may have some good to them. However, I would not accept that untill I read a Real review... from a qualified unbiased reviewer.
I probably should have spoke up when Retroblast was asking for a reviewer. Just my time has been limited.

Hehe, yeah, wouldn't have been any bias there.  Face it, it came off a lot better than you wanted it to, so you won't accept it.  It won't matter if 50 people said the same thing (and from listening to the comments of my customers, they do), it won't be good enough for you. 

BTW, don't be concerned about how I am perceived.  Those are resources you could be using for your own good.

RandyT
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 12:36:40 am by RandyT »

Minwah

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2005, 01:22:23 pm »
In fact, Ive heard that a designer of robotron wouldnt touch a mame cab version of it.  Im almost certain it was cause it had the wrong type of joysticks installed in it and he knew it right away.

Or maybe due to the incorrect emulation speed at times making the game harder.  I think this was improved lately but not sure by how much...

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2005, 02:39:24 pm »
Just for the record, I'm not a child.  I happen to be 27.  I played many classic games in their prime and afterwards, for as long as the arcades around my town stayed in business. 

I think the Robotron fanatic in question here confused my attempt to balance my review by giving a little personal information and humility with some kind of ignorance on my part. 

I would really love to see a video of the Robotron fanatic getting to level 30-something on a zero-slowdown emulation machine. 

And for the record, the lovely description of "perfect" leaf-switch controls pretty much matches all the opinions I have heard and experienced with Randy's cool device.

Anyway, I believe in reserving judgement until I've tried something several times and gotten second opinions.

Please point me in the direction of your "Mint Condition Classic Arcades for Hardcore Middle-Aged Gamers" because I'd like to write an article about it. :)

Thanks for your input and for lending a little extra drama to this thread.

Cheers,
KenToad

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2005, 03:25:38 pm »
"You have had no exposure to this product whatsoever. Therefore you are not qualified to make such statements.  End of story  I, however, watched someone who had never even touched this control combo before "kick a_s and take names" with every game he played.  He was one of those high scoring gaming fanatics you refer to, not an "arcade politician" like yourself."

Well ok, Ill take that back.   My OPINION, is that since the thing is not exacting as the original controller, it will function in a manor to preform less
accurately thus less performance.

As for your gamer guy - That prooves little.   Give him the other control types to compare to, and then after several games of each, see how he feels about it, and how much better or worse he is with each type vs the 49way.   Your 'test' is to throw a guy who knows nothing into a formula one racing car, and ask him  how good it is in all situations.  Just cause he can show some driving skills... does not qualifty him to understand all the things about how the car is handling, and works...ect.    Also,  it is the same for the reviewer.

Callling me an arcade politition?  Thats just ridiculus.   My whole life has been dedicated to gaming.   A deep love and passion for them.  Even designing them.

"This may surprise you, but advances in technology can actually provide better control mechanisms than were available 20+ years ago. Pardon me for saying so, but a little more objectivity on your part might be in order."

So being that a person who wants to feel the restriction of a 4way joy dosnt make him upset that its not there?   A restrictor is not a marvel of New technology.  Its a mechanical solution.  The 49way is not new either.  Its also pretty limited.   A much better stick would probably be a Hall stick.  Better resolution for any game type.   However, these arnt made.   Or, maybe an analog with invincible pots that andy mentioned.  That sounded interesting.   But anyway... your device while clever... is not the best solution by our wonderfull new technology standards.   Not to insult you... but just to say I know what exist tecnologically.   Most of this has NOTHING to do with technology.  Its mostly all about mechanics. 

Just like you now don't realize the benefits of the 49-ways with a GP-Wiz49 interface.  Not everyone has the space (or desire) for a rotating monstrosity of a control panel.  That doesn't mean they should suffer with a stick that only works well for a limited number of titles.

How do you know what I know?   Actually, I did say there were some positives.
Im just stating my opinion that I will not accept a review for the device thats done by someone who dosnt have a background with the gametype, the controller..ect.    I think this is a decent alternative to many sticks that are hard to find and expensive.   However, I still stick to my guns in saying that Id prefer the real controls.   I know not everyone can afford them or the space.  Thats thier choice.   

I think that was the "money shot"

A clip from a piece of text, and yet, its not behind its original context.  I stated that one does not have to experience a device to understand how they may work and feel... because I have a deep knowledge of all the stick types, and a good understanding of mechanics.   I see the rubber gromet can make gameplay very close to a leaf - thats great.  However, for some games like the 4way where a restrictor is not there... theres nothing that can replace that.  And that again is an opinion.   However, its a technical observation that needs no hands on test to see.  Also, since Ive not tested the leaf games with it - I can not promote the thing.   And I would not consider them, unless a Qualified leaf guy said they were
great.   There are many factors besides the opto positions that make a great stick.  Everything from throw distance on the top side of the stick, to resistances, to bottom throw (leverage point), deadzones for non safe zero movment,  and a lot more.  If any of these are off a bit, it can alter playability to a point that is unacceptable to me... and many who actually enjoy playing well.   

"Control perfection" in someone's living room doesn't exist.  It can't. 

---smurf-poo---.   This isnt rocket science!

Even your bizzaro contol panel with what you seem to think has every control (some of which are not original because you made parts of them yourself) isn't like the real deal. 

That Page and design is old.  Ive since changed my design to a horizontal rotator, and the paneles and controls will be different.  And Ive got all arcade original parts now.   The first incarnation was offbase because my own lack of understanding of original controls.. and also a lack of funds.   The next incarnaiton will be much more authentic and jaw droppingly cool : )  (i hope  :)

True authenticity would dictate specific mounting angles and heights for each control as they existed on each machine.  Otherwise, this would affect your interaction with them, not to mention button spacing and the like.

Its not hard to mount a wheel at a propper angle.    However.. to make a statement of contestment... I have a TX-1 in an original  cabnet.  Its leg space under the mounted wheel is so small, that my legs can not fit under the wheel without hitting it.  I have to angle my knee and feet way outward just to get to the pedal without hitting the wheel.   This was a poor cab design - which actually lead to its demise and rarity.   However, what is more important in not the height or angles- but the actual controls themselves.

There were also how many? different leaf and/or microswitch joysticks out there, each with their own mechanical dynamic?  Do you expect us to believe that you have (and use) the original stick for every one of the games you play?

There are many clones of the same type of stick.  But yes, I have many of the real controllers.  And will use them in my new design.   I didnt think it was a big deal before.. but Ive been converted... and I will do my best to keep that feeling and control as accrurate as possible.

Your concept of perfection seems to go only as far as you deem fit and you seem to think everyone else should take your version of it as the benchmark.  I'm not sure who it is you think you are to make a determination like that, but I remain unimpressed.  I'm sure others have their own thoughts on this as well.

My idea of perfection is a controller that performs as well or better than the original arcade hardware.   Why is that so hard to understand or desire?   Im also not forceing anyone to my standards. 

"  No, actually, it is.  You are a user of technology.  You have never invented nor engineered a controller that was in comercial use, nor have you really worked in the "industry" in a capacity that would qualify you to make such blind determinations. You have already been rightfully sluffed off by someone who had worked in the "industry", in previous threads where you made similar statements.  Without actually knowing what was going through the minds of the designers, engineers, and business people at SEGA, NAMCO, STERN, UNIVERSAL, etc...., you are spewing nothing but uniformed conjecture, and the quality of conjecture is only as good as the intellect behind it.

Arcade "managers" were the most egregious violators of keeping original controls on games.  When faced with the choice between a loss of income or installing a sub-par control into a machine, you know what the decision was.  In fact, it would surprise me greatly if you yourself weren't guilty of such a thing at least once in your illustrious arcade manager career."

First off, I do not believe I was Sluffed off.   I simply didnt care to finish the argument.   It was obvious he had no clue.   He was from a differnt erra of gaming than todays gaming.   Back in the older times, things were done much differently.   

My thoughts are based on mechanical FACT.   Its not hard to see it.  Anyone with any mechanical ability can.   Just cause I didnt invent the things or talk it over with a designer dosnt mean I can not understand why something was done the way it was.  In fact, the hardware actually  shows you why. 

As for my arcade carrear...   Theres many things that I got from that job.  One was a huge understanding of how many mechanical mechaisms worked and were constructed.  It wa great to see all these many ways that they were designed.  And I could see where many of them failed - vs - the designs from others that lasted.   I at times had to improvise a better sloution at times for games with poor mechanical designs.   And yes, I was guilty once of taking leaf joys off a simpsons - and replacing them with micros.   The leafs got bent too often, and needed cleaning too often.   This dosnt mean that I do not know what Im talking about.   I can tell you... working in that arcade was not an easy job.  With 43 games... at least 2 would break down for some reason each week.   I learned a Lot from that job though.  More than I could possibly convey in words.

Actually, the "average joe" is precisely the person that should be doing this.  He doesn't have all your "experience" to cloud his judgement.  All he knows is whether things happen on the screen in direct response to his actions, precisely as they did for you the first time you played any of the "classics" you keep talking about.

lol.  what a joke that paragraph is.   A guy goes to buy a motorbike.  Has no clue what to buy.  Never rode any other bike before.. except once as a kid for a few days.   Jumps on one  - tests it to the best of his Knowlegde, and buys it immediately.    He had no clue as to if the other bikes were better suited to the type of conditions he was riding on.  No clue as to the comfort level that the bike had compared to the other bikes.  No clue as to how the suspention worked compared to other bikes suspentions.  Was the bike set up for racing?  Or for the street?   The guy thinks its fine - but - that dosnt mean its the best solution for that guys needs.   Hes just a fool that made an uninformed, uneducated desigion.

Hehe, yeah, wouldn't have been any bias there.  Face it, it came off a lot better than you wanted it to, so you won't accept it.  It won't matter if 50 people said the same thing (and from listening to the comments of my customers, they do), it won't be good enough for you.

As much as you think.. Im not biased to you or your products.  I may think you act as a tool at times.. but that dosnt mean that you are all that bad compared to some others here.  And that dosnt mean that I wish you failure, or bad fortune.  I welcome a good product.   

This stick might make for a decent mini machine for example... that I may build in the future.   But that dosnt mean I should not let my opinions be heard, and to be dis-satisifed with the poor review quality.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 03:42:56 pm by Xiaou2 »

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2005, 03:38:21 pm »

Kentoad,

Come to Rochester NY  and theres a little place called 
"Fantasy Raceways"   

Games I can remember in there  (havnt been there in a few months):

Centipede
(2 linked)  Race Drivin's
Atari X O  football
Tempest  (with mutli game kit)
Asteroids Deluxe
Super Hang on
Tron
Discs of Tron enviornmental
Mr Do
Virtua Racing Sd  2player  w/ camera monitor installed
Sea wolf
Battle Zone
Ms pacman (with mult select kit)
Robotron
Missile command
Monaco Gp mini standup

Twilight zone pinball
2 other pins that rotate

http://fantasyraceways.mine.nu/

Rodger was so kind, as to let me take his Discs of Tron artwork, and I scanned it in and hand edited it, for use in mame. 

I know many collectors here too.. so I may be able to arrange for you to see many more classic games and pins.

Sincerely,
  Steve

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2005, 04:47:45 pm »
  As for your gamer guy - That prooves little.   Give him the other control types to compare to, and then after several games of each, see how he feels about it, and how much better or worse he is with each type vs the 49way.   Your 'test' is to throw a guy who knows nothing into a formula one racing car, and ask him  how good it is in all situations.  Just cause he can show some driving skills... does not qualifty him to understand all the things about how the car is handling, and works...ect.    Also,  it is the same for the reviewer.

We aren't talking formula one racing :)  We are talking about whether to buy a Hundai or a Honda.  The plain fact is, a user will try out an item and come to a conclusion based on their own needs.  Why do you think there are so many successful types of vehicles and so many companies that make them?  Point in fact: Audis may be great cars, but if you have a sub-compact budget and you are 6 1/2 feet tall, you won't be buying one.

And my gamers prove a lot.  It proves that someone of skill was not hampered by the controls.  That has always been the goal, and it looks to have been achieved.  I could give two nickels about whether it was a "perfect"replication of the original, so long as it performed as well.  I watched him breeze through level after level of Pengo in 4-way DRS mode, with no apparent difficulty at all.  He got bored at about 15 minutes into the game and quit.  To me, this speaks volumes.

My whole life has been dedicated to gaming.   A deep love and passion for them.  Even designing them.

Really?  Anything we've heard of?  What is your professional involvement in gaming nowadays?  Surely someone with your expertise and self-proclaimed devotion is still working in the "industry."

Not to insult you... but just to say I know what exist tecnologically.   Most of this has NOTHING to do with technology.  Its mostly all about mechanics. 

Well, not to insult you either, but I guess you should try to come up with a new solution that works better then.  Be sure to keep us all updated on your progress, if you don't mind.

BTW, I'm sure the designers of the car you drive would find it humorous that you don't equate mechanics with technology.

Im just stating my opinion that I will not accept a review for the device thats done by someone who dosnt have a background with the gametype, the controller..ect.

We've all heard your opinions before.  It looks like a number of us don't value them.

There are many factors besides the opto positions that make a great stick.  Everything from throw distance on the top side of the stick, to resistances, to bottom throw (leverage point), deadzones for non safe zero movment,  and a lot more.  If any of these are off a bit, it can alter playability to a point that is unacceptable to me... and many who actually enjoy playing well.   

And, I suppose you think you are the first guy to have considered any of this.  I think I finally ran across someone with an ego bigger than my own. :)

---smurf-poo---.   This isnt rocket science!

My point exactly. :)

This was a poor cab design - which actually lead to its demise and rarity.   However, what is more important in not the height or angles- but the actual controls themselves.

You mean the arcade "gods" were capable of something less than pure perfection?  Blasphemy!

There are many clones of the same type of stick.  But yes, I have many of the real controllers. 

They are not "clones", they are sticks with similar methods of operation.  Each one will have it's very own mechanical dynamic, that the others will not be able to match properly.  It's yet another situation where you are deciding what is "close enough" and what isn't.

And I didn't ask if you had many, I asked if you had "all" of the original controls and used them for every game you play.  So I'll take that as a "no" and then ask how you make the determination as to which ones are worthy of the exactness you think others should use.

My idea of perfection is a controller that performs as well or better than the original arcade hardware.   Why is that so hard to understand or desire?   Im also not forceing anyone to my standards.

Yet you have no idea as to whether this is the case with the 49-ways, so it seems you have a different idea than the one you just conveyed.  As to what you are forcing, it appears only to be "your opinions down the throats of others".  Why else would you be so compelled to denegrate a product you have not tried, or a review in which you have no frame of reference?

First off, I do not believe I was Sluffed off.   I simply didnt care to finish the argument.   It was obvious he had no clue.   He was from a differnt erra of gaming than todays gaming.   Back in the older times, things were done much differently.   My thoughts are based on mechanical FACT.   Its not hard to see it.  Anyone with any mechanical ability can.   Just cause I didnt invent the things or talk it over with a designer dosnt mean I can not understand why something was done the way it was.  In fact, the hardware actually  shows you why.

Believe what you want.  You were called on your misinformation by someone who actually knew what they were talking about and you had no way to counter.  I have patents with my name on them and have worked with IP enough to know how decisions are made about technology and innovation.  It's business, my friend, and until you are actually part of it, you will never know the thought processes that go into the things you use every day of your life.  Suffice it to say that there is far more than basic engineering principle that dictates the final form a product will take.  To assume anything else is naivety in it's purest state.

RandyT

« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 05:16:19 pm by RandyT »

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2005, 12:56:01 am »

Kentoad,

Come to Rochester NY  and theres a little place called 
"Fantasy Raceways"   

Games I can remember in there  (havnt been there in a few months):

Centipede
(2 linked)  Race Drivin's
Atari X O  football
Tempest  (with mutli game kit)
Asteroids Deluxe
Super Hang on
Tron
Discs of Tron enviornmental
Mr Do
Virtua Racing Sd  2player  w/ camera monitor installed
Sea wolf
Battle Zone
Ms pacman (with mult select kit)
Robotron
Missile command
Monaco Gp mini standup

Twilight zone pinball
2 other pins that rotate

http://fantasyraceways.mine.nu/

Rodger was so kind, as to let me take his Discs of Tron artwork, and I scanned it in and hand edited it, for use in mame. 

I know many collectors here too.. so I may be able to arrange for you to see many more classic games and pins.

Sincerely,
  Steve

Steve,

If they don't have Karate Champ Vs., I'm not coming. ;)

You're right, I probably wouldn't want to play most of those games in Rochester with a 49-way joystick, Kensington trackballs maybe, although I'd definitely hit the Robotron for a little authentic slowdown. ;D

Is it okay if I play Tron with a flightstick and homemade spinner?

How about Asteroids Deluxe with Happ Microswitch buttons?

Does the DOT environmental really make you feel like you're in the movie?

Is the Super Hang-On the one with the bike that you have to lean to steer?  That one always seemed so cool, but incredibly more difficult to control than your standard motorcycle handlebars.

I wonder how often they have to clean the leafs on the Ms. Pac-Man? 

I didn't even know that leafs had to be cleaned until you posted here.  Thanks for the info.

I only play Twilight Zone on VPinmame.

I'm sure they're hiding the Theater of Magic in the back room for the tech guys and their trusted allies.

Anyway, I'll try to convince my fiancee and some of her hottest friends to go up to Rochester with me and meet some guys who ONLY play with the perfect controls.

See you soon.

Cheers,
KenToad