Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Windows or Linux  (Read 1264 times)

elpresidente

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2012, 10:06:30 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Windows or Linux
« on: June 07, 2005, 01:02:26 pm »
Trying to decide which way to go initially. I would like to use Linux but my impression is that windows/dos supports more/better front-ends. I'm most concerned about mame. I want to use a 27" WG monitor but may rethink that, if it matters. Any thoughts or expreineces any of you could pass on would be greatly appreciated.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re: Windows or Linux
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 01:18:47 pm »
there are more choices for windows.

screaming

• Sweet! I'mma go make me some popovers!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2019, 03:15:34 pm
  • Registered lUser
    • shift eight (*) generation

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 02:09:17 pm »
You should first use what you can get for free...

Second what you know...

Third what your favorite frontend supports...

Don't forget other emulators... Some are only on some platforms.  (Zinc is on windows and linux... but a lot of others arent')

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 05:48:12 pm »
Trying to decide which way to go initially. I would like to use Linux but my impression is that windows/dos supports more/better front-ends. I'm most concerned about mame. I want to use a 27" WG monitor but may rethink that, if it matters. Any thoughts or expreineces any of you could pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Monitor support won't matter.  Either choice will enable you to use a true arcade monitor, especially if you pair them up with an ArcadeVGA.

FrontEnd choice is a big one.  Cabinet-specific frontends for Linux are limited to:

MAMEd:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~phulshof/mame.html

AdvanceMenu:
http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/menu-snapshot.html

There are other more MAME32-like frontends, but I don't consider these good enough for cabinet use, as you want something simple, intuitive and accessible via standard arcade joysticks and buttons (ie: no mouse control necessary).

Windows is a clear winner there for overall choice in FrontEnds (I won't bother to list them all).  For me personally, despite the sheer number of frontends in Windows, I've only ever found MAMEWah (Win32 only) and AdvanceMenu (Win32/Mac/Linux) to be satisfactory for my needs, so heaps of choice isn't always the winning factor.

The link posted above by 'screaming' is a good read.  An objective thread covering the pros and cons of various OSes.  At the end of the day there can be no clear "winner", but merely what you find suits your needs and budget the best.

The smartest thing to do is try them both for yourself, and see which you prefer.  That beats the hell out of strangers on a forum telling you what to do. :)

elpresidente

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2012, 10:06:30 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 06:52:03 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm gonna go Linux, specifically, Unbuntu. I've never used that before but have much experience with Debian, so I'll have something familar to work with while learning about something new at the same time. I might end up dual booting as I like mameWah, but I try to use Linux whenever possible.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 09:26:29 pm »
MameD, eh?  Hadn't seen that one.  Pretty!

Does it support arcade monitor resolutions?

NeeBick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2011, 01:14:02 am
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 10:10:07 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm gonna go Linux, specifically, Unbuntu. I've never used that before but have much experience with Debian, so I'll have something familiar to work with while learning about something new at the same time. I might end up dual booting as I like mameWah, but I try to use Linux whenever possible.

I've been playing with ubuntu for a while must say that it rocks for its ease of use.  I love how all the emulators are command line based so they are perfect for a frontend (if there was a selection...).

I would suggest:
-check out http://ubuntuguide.org/ great info
-the sound was a bit of a problem for me. It relies too much on esd support, so I suggest using the info from the above guide
-update mame, its old (debian testing branch worked just fine for me)

edit: Lemon Launcher is suppose to work on Linux but I haven't been able to compile it
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 10:11:59 pm by NeeBick »

elvis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2023, 05:31:03 pm
  • penguin poker
    • StickFreaks
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 12:09:16 am »
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm gonna go Linux, specifically, Unbuntu. I've never used that before but have much experience with Debian

Ubuntu is basically Debian with different pants on.  You'll have no troubles getting inside it and making it do what you need if you have Debian experience.

MameD, eh?  Hadn't seen that one.  Pretty!

Does it support arcade monitor resolutions?

It's built on SDL, which lives on top of X.  X can be forced into any resolution you want (including 15KHz modes), so it will work fine if it overlays ontop of your current video mode without any problems.

I haven't tried MAMEd on real arcade hardware yet, as my Jamma cab is in repair.  Once it's up and running I'll be trying a number of emulators and projects under Linux and 15KHz modes, and writing as much info about it as I can on my site for others to follow if they wish to do the same.

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 08:00:42 am »
btw JFront (my old java based frontend) should work.

I have a new version (which is code complete... I just haven't had time to actually setup a build and move it to my new website) coming out. 

But if your looking Linux because of speed.... My frontend in not for you.