Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Crash when building catalog list (DOSCab)  (Read 2601 times)

juke_321

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2007, 05:06:56 pm
Crash when building catalog list (DOSCab)
« on: February 05, 2007, 04:40:19 pm »
Hi,

I'm running into trouble using DOSCab. When DOSCab starts building a catalog of a huge number of files it crashes. Sometimes garbage and characters are put on the screen through the graphic background, it almost looks as if DosCab is writing in the VGA memory.

I have this problem with version 3.0 Beta 5 and above. I have tried to generate a logfile with debuglevel=5 in jukebox.ini, but the resulting logfile is 0 bytes in size, after the PC craches. I saw reports of memory leaks in other threads

Version 3.0 Beta 2 behaves normally and builds a catalog without problems. Apparently something has changed between these versions.

I would like to use the nice features of newer versions, but I'm stuck for now at this older version.

The PC I use is a Compaq Armada Laptop with 32MB RAM.

Does anyone have a solution for this problem ?

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Re: Crash when building catalog list (DOSCab)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 04:44:48 pm »
Do you have a rough idea of how many files we're talking about?
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

juke_321

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 04:50:47 pm »
Chris,

Thanks for your reply. In both versions I used the same set of files, appoximately 1300 files. It looks as if the number of files doesn't matter that much because it crashes quite rapidly (20% of the total files or so). With 700 files it also crashes. I have all files in a single older.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 04:53:04 pm »
Something else is wrong then... perhaps there is one particular song that it doesn't like and crashes when it tries to read its tags?
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

juke_321

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 05:01:30 pm »
Chris,

Your suggestion that it would be a particular song doesn't really match with my observations. The program craches differently each time, not on a particular song. With repeatedly restarting DosCab, it sometimes makes the end and starts, but that takes a lot of time and restarts. It is even more strange then, that the version 3.0 Beta 2 works fine on the same set of files. Can you think of any change in DosCab that may affect building the catalog ?