Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best wheel to use for a dedicated driving cab?  (Read 2572 times)

KillerArcades

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2009, 02:09:39 pm
Best wheel to use for a dedicated driving cab?
« on: May 22, 2006, 09:44:21 am »
I'd love some suggestions for what's the best wheel to use for a driving cab. I'm looking at just having my xbox be the system I use in it.

Anyone know if it's possible / worthwhile to get a Logitech driving force pro wheel to work with an xbox and/or if it would be worth it since I'm not even sure that xbox (non 360 version) even has any games that will support the 900 degree rot..

?

Or if there are better options out there?

yeah, that's right.

Gunstar Hero

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2014, 01:51:17 am
  • Back in action!
Re: Best wheel to use for a dedicated driving cab?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 11:38:21 am »
The Logitech Driving Force series of USB wheel won't work with the XBOX (as far as I know) because they requires support (a USB driver) to be programmed into the game. They do rock the PS2 and as a USB wheel work real nice-like on the PC. They even have a new model coming out with a clutch and a six speed gearbox!

If you're dead set on using an XBOX only, the Speedster 3 is the best XBOX wheel out there. If you wanna be able to switch systems, the Madcatz MC2 Universal isn't terrible, but isn't as nice as the Speedster.

When I do a driving cab I'll probably base it around a PS2/PC setup and a Logitech wheel.

mhermann

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2019, 07:10:08 pm
  • We ain't found.........
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 11:59:33 am »
I am looking at this now as well. I am undecided on PS2 or Xbox. And like Gunstar said the only one readily available that can do both is the MadCatz.

I got one on Ebay for $20 shipped and am testing it now. It isn't bad so far. What I am thinking I am going to do is play a couple games on the PS2 and Xbox and see if I can decide on one or the other then go with one of the 2 wheels Gunstar listed.

The problem with going the PC/PS2 wheel route is you can only really play Mame driving games (270 degree at that). If you wanted to play other more recent PC driving games you can't really use a TV as a monitor and get good results. So then you need to decide on a PC monitor (limited to 22 ") or a Bill labs monitor (1024 x 768 but pricey) to get a decent picture on PC drivers.

KillerArcades

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 03:52:14 pm »
Quote from: mhermann
The problem with going the PC/PS2 wheel route is you can only really play Mame driving games (270 degree at that)....

yeah, that's why I'm not bothering with MAME/PC games, I'm just going to do console games. I've already got a modded XBOX that I'm not really using much any more, so that's why I'm looking at using it for the system. But, yeah, a PS2 would be my preferred choice (but I've never modded one...) so that I can use the logitech wheel.

Oh man, I was at E3 the other week and I tried out the new version of that wheel you were talking about, man! it's got some torque on it!, it will really pull you around! The shifter looked cool, but the game they had loaded on it was near impossible to play with that instead of the paddle shifters, I HAD to keep both hands on the wheel in order to control it well enough to even stay on the track!

whew! it was suhweet!

anyways, okay, so I need to try to find a cheap PS2 somewhere and learn about modding it in order to get the wheel I want. :( ok, it could be worse.... maybe.

yeah, that's right.

mhermann

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 03:15:17 pm »
Upon further review I am leaning towards using 2 22" pc monitors and that new wheel from Logitech. I started looking at the long long list of PC driving games and also flight and mech games and am thinking PC is the way to go. But I am not shelling out for 2 bilabs monitors or an LCD HD TV so I think I am going with the PC monitors.

But after reading about that wheel it would be worth the smaller monitors I think.

KillerArcades

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 10:15:12 am »
yep, I've finished my "research" as well now. I'm sticking with the Xbox system as I've found some very favorable reviews of the Fanatec Speedster 3 wheel. And I just picked one up off eBay that looks to be in great shape for less than $60 including shipping (brand new at Target, we're talking $150).

So, thanks for the feedback, I'll be sure to photo-document the construction of this project once it gets started.
yeah, that's right.

joe35car

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 09:37:11 pm
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 12:32:25 pm »
I'd love some suggestions for what's the best wheel to use for a driving cab. I'm looking at just having my xbox be the system I use in it.

Anyone know if it's possible / worthwhile to get a Logitech driving force pro wheel to work with an xbox and/or if it would be worth it since I'm not even sure that xbox (non 360 version) even has any games that will support the 900 degree rot..

?

Or if there are better options out there?

http://gear.ign.com/articles/708/708220p1.html  You know what forget I posted this.  This is for the 360 I believe
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 12:34:57 pm by joe35car »

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 03:12:48 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 05:27:07 pm »
Thats the wheel I used for mine and it has worked very well.  I think you stole it.  Good Job.

Zeosstud

KillerArcades

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 10:00:01 am »
yeah, I've been looking at your cab a lot, Zeosstud. Do you have any close-up shots of how you mounted your wheel to the cab?

I'm thinking of tearing into my fanatec wheel in order to make it look more integrated, but I'm still undecided on whether that will be worth it or not.

I also can't decide if I should try to do a two-player / side-by-side design, or keep it simpler for a 1 player setup.... I'm not sure how much room I have in my basement quite yet either.

So, mhermann's leaning towards two 22" monitors.... I'm wondering whether I should try to get two 27" TV's for mine (assuming I do a two player cab), or whether two 24" TV's would be good enough? I heard in another thread that someone was saying that a smaller monitor is fine in these cab's because you're so much closer.... But, I really don't know how much closer these types of cabs bring you...

Any opinions on the size of monitor for a driving cab?

"I'm not sure how much room I have in my basement quite yet either" translated means "I don't know if my wife will even let me do a two player cab and take up that much more of our basement."
yeah, that's right.

escher

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2021, 12:18:21 am
  • Out of the game for way too long
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 11:47:15 am »
When I do a driving cab I'll probably base it around a PS2/PC setup and a Logitech wheel.

Absolutely.  GT4 + Driving Force Pro is what I'm basing mine around.

mhermann

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 01:20:21 pm »
My monitors should be here this week, I will tell you what I think once I try a test. Just going to put them on a table and see how they feel.

But, if you are simply going with TV's I would probably go with 27". The only reason I am going with 22" is because i want to play PC games too,

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 09:10:18 pm »
The wheel comes with a mounting plastic mounting plate, normall it would attach to a table top, I literally screwed it into the wood, the attached the wheel, then using cardboard and some trial and error I formulated the piece that locks the wheel in from the top.  At this point it doesnt move a freaking inch, not side to side, not up and down, it literally has nowhere to go.

Zeosstud

KillerArcades

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 11:58:53 pm »
sweet, that's kinda what I'm looking at doing too, you wouldn't  happen to have any "close-up" pictures of that setup would  you?
yeah, that's right.

Zeosstud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 10:31:08 am »
Skondris,
                 Well I am out of town for the next 3 days but if you want I will remove the piece thats over the wheel and trace it out on some paper and send it to you.  With that I am sure you could adapt it easily to your new setup.

Zeosstud

butlerrodney@hotmail.com