Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

should we post hot items from ebay on here?

Yeah, Post em for everyone to see
23 (30.7%)
Dont post em, to keep the price down
52 (69.3%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Author Topic: Post hot items from Ebay or no?  (Read 10032 times)

Hoagie_one

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 12:36:28 pm
  • Um....whats a cabinet
Post hot items from Ebay or no?
« on: May 05, 2005, 07:29:32 am »
It seems that sometimes when someone posts a deal from ebay, like a yoke or hard to find item, that someone always gets angry that they were watching the item and were hoping to snipe it for a good price, but by posting it here, it opens it up to more bidding for popel who were trying to find such an item.

What do you guys think?

menace

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 10:57:06 am
Re: Post hot items from Ebay or no?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 08:21:44 am »
I say no don't post.  reason being is that we all should know how to use ebay by now and the people that are seriously looking will have found this item and you'll likely be bringing in guys who don't really want to look (or even need it but want it just to have it) but have some cash they want to spend.

The above doesn't apply when you find an auction by complete accident that's just sweet like "1 handlebar" and it turns out to be a star wars yoke--then I think its ok cause no one who is looking for a yoke would have found that in a search anyways. just my .02
its better to not post and be thought a fool, then to whip out your keyboard and remove all doubt...

jfunk

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2018, 04:36:39 pm
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 09:13:48 am »
I think it's OK to post as long as _I'm_ not planning on bidding on it  :)

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 09:54:17 am »
Good question and I think there is no good answer to it. For one, how do you know if someone is watching a listing or not? If you yourself are not interested in the item and you found it, you could be helping people out by posting it, or you could be ruining someone's deal.

So there's no definitive answer there... Except if it's something you yourself want, then definitely don't post it!  :D
NO MORE!!

koolmoecraig

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2014, 07:07:20 pm
    • My Intervention
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 12:58:56 pm »
Why not auction off the information itself?

heffe2001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2021, 04:05:23 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • o'Brewery Brothers
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 01:17:46 pm »
The whole intent on ebay is for you to put the max you'd pay, and have other people bid against you.  So if you actually bid the most you'd pay (not the least you'll pay as most people do), you less likely to be outbid.  Although I do snipe auctions occasionally, more than 99% of them I've done that with had a higher bid by the end of the auction than I had on the snipe site.  Did it piss me off, nope, someone out there just wanted it more than I did.

I say post 'em, alot of people don't have time to just browse ebay looking for stuff, and appreciate the links posted. 

JODY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2024, 05:06:29 pm
  • After a long delay...the arcade is underway!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 01:24:52 pm »
Those with money to spend and no time are going to say "yes post".  Those with time and no money are going to say "no don't".

I've gotten some good deals on Ebay but never on anything that was posted here.  Always gets bid up to where the deal wasn't as good as I hoped and usually so high that if I continue watching the auction it is just to see how high it goes.

MrTroy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2012, 12:13:12 am
  • Working on 4 projects
    • TDP.com
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 01:27:39 pm »
The whole intent on ebay is for you to put the max you'd pay, and have other people bid against you.

Coming from someone who hates being sniped, I just want to say you're right on that one. But there's a difference between being cheap and trying to get a good deal. Just put in the max you'd bid and you can't really complain. I've been sniped hundreds of times, but I couldn't pay the extra $1.50 that someone outbid me by anyway. And besides if someone here is selling something I think they want to get as much off of it as they can.

- I fit into the those with money to spend Catagory though. :(
Lounge Room Arcade finished 12/08/2005

Crazy Cooter

• Senator Cooter was heard today telling the entire congressional body to STFU...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 03:40:45 pm
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2005, 01:31:18 pm »
95% of the time, no.

The above doesn't apply when you find an auction by complete accident that's just sweet like "1 handlebar" and it turns out to be a star wars yoke--then I think its ok cause no one who is looking for a yoke would have found that in a search anyways. just my .02

That's the exact reasoning it does apply.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 01:43:25 pm by Crazy Cooter »

tommy

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 01:41:12 pm »
I say post it, the idea of posting Ebay items is to help/try to help people in the community find parts for what we all are interested in.

monkeybomb

• PM me to find out how to get a custom title like mine!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 07:16:29 pm
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2005, 02:02:03 pm »
I say absolutely not.  If I really need something I'm checking e-bay already and I don't want more competition.

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2005, 02:46:08 pm »
Are we honarable enough to have an honor system here?  If you see something on Ebay, be the first one to call it here and say I'm bidding on this one, please don't bid against me.  That way we honor the first finder and help everybody else out.  I don't think this would ever work, but it's a thought.

Next - why don't we put in this thread what your Ebay name is.  If you find an auction with no bids (and not Buy It Now), go ahead and put in the minimum bid.  That way your name shows up and we know not to bid against you.  By putting in just the minimum bid, you have declared your intent to bid and you can still put a higher amount in for snipe later.

My ebay ID is:  markrvp     How original.

Scott84

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2022, 08:24:59 pm
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2005, 02:51:27 pm »
I say we make a topic that has EBAY's Auction links inside of it. One topic, and people can just post it in the one topic... keep the topic marked at the top.

So if someone sees something good, they just look in that same topic.
"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man
affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in
darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to
repetitive music." -- Marcus Brigstocke

Flinkly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2017, 01:14:21 pm
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2005, 03:33:20 pm »
i think it's a major no, unless your the one selling it and you want to get the word out.  i think the people in this hobby that really need the part(s) will spend the time to find a good deal, and then when someone posts it here, others who seem to have too much money to hold on to are like, "yeah, i could use one of those...". 

I think it's better for the community not to post them.  it will keep prices down, both reserve and end prices, which is better for everyone, wether you have too much money or not enough.

the major example of the year was star wars yokes.  people started talking about them and posting almost every auction, so all those people who have money burning holes in their pockets were shooting the yoke prices up.  which was good if you were selling, but bad if you were buying, and most people her buy, not sell (due to the fact that we make arcade controls).

slicer_d

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2013, 12:51:11 am
  • Yay n' stuff
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2005, 06:20:29 pm »
I say only post the stuff that is misnamed or something similar.  If I want a 49 way I will search for it but if somebody has some listed under some obscure category then list it.  Also if somebody else is bidding from the forum for the item maybe talf to them so you dont get in a bid war.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 08:35:48 am
  • I won't even pretend to be clever...
    • AlanS17
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2005, 06:39:09 pm »
Are we honarable enough to have an honor system here?

Timstuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2014, 02:24:29 am
  • I feel asleep !!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2005, 06:44:37 pm »
My personal opinion is that if someone really wants something, it's not hard to search eBay themselves. If someone asks for people to keep an eye open for something for him, then you can PM them the auction adress so he can bid on it. But making a general "look what I found on eBay!" post could really screw things up for someone. Say you're on ebay, about to snipe a great deal;"YES! I'm about to get a refurb-ready Ninja Turtles cab for only $800!" but then, someone posts the auction here and he ends up getting into a bidding war, spending nearly $2000 or not getting the machine at all. This logic holds true for anything on ebay. If someone wants something, they can either look themselves or ask people to PM them if they spot it. But making general announcements about hot looking auctions will be a pain for someone somewhere.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2005, 06:48:41 pm »
OH! Here's another 2 cents...

Often, Ebay isn't just a place to find parts at a good price. It's the ONLY place to find parts. So when someone absolutely needs an obscure part, they go scouring until they find one. I would think that to be out-bid by someone with a "why not?" attitude and a handful of hyperlinks would be completely frustrating.

You could always argue the the winner just wanted it more, but let's face it. Some people have more money to spend than others. It's those "miners" that spend hours on Ebay that probably don't have the money to burn. Let them (me) have their (my) little treasures...

I think this goes doubly-so for mispelled auctions and such. Those are the things that people like me live to dig up. It's not just a matter of browsing listings. You don't find that stuff by running searches. You find it by going through every item one at a time... Finding that stuff can be hard work! To have that hard work go to waste is infuriating!

tommy

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2005, 07:04:41 pm »
This is kinda ridiculous to me, we know we all want to be the only one bidding on an item but thats not the case this is the internet, you're bound to have competition.

Obviously dont post something you want, but to say that you would lose an item because of this forum is silly, Ebay is ten times as big and with ten times as many members, if its going to be taken its from an Ebay member not BYOAC.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2005, 07:21:35 pm »
I'm not theorizing. I'm speaking from experience... People here are very commonly more clued in than your typical collector or operator - especially about PC/arcade interface equipment.

If you're not building a MAME cabinet, do you ever need a keyboard encoder? How often will you need a 27" VGA universal mount monitor (aside from a few newer games)? How about a 3" trackball with a PS2 interface... do you see where I'm going with this?

Crazy Cooter

• Senator Cooter was heard today telling the entire congressional body to STFU...
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2005, 08:00:12 pm »
I think this goes doubly-so for mispelled auctions and such. Those are the things that people like me live to dig up. It's not just a matter of browsing listings. You don't find that stuff by running searches. You find it by going through every item one at a time... Finding that stuff can be hard work! To have that hard work go to waste is infuriating!
I'm glad others see it exactly like I do.  I like the term "miners".  It's that kind of diligence and knowledge that should be rewarded with scoring a good deal.

crsdawg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2019, 06:10:05 am
  • I plan to live forever, or die trying.
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2005, 08:46:20 pm »
i think it's a matter of common courtesey. sure you help one person but

heffe2001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2021, 04:05:23 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • o'Brewery Brothers
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2005, 08:56:26 pm »
But when I lose an auction by a buck, it bothers me. No matter what the price was, another buck wouldn't have mattered. I wanted that item!

Then you should have bid your maximum amount you're willing to pay.  Even in the ebay help they tell you that.  If you don't, then you will run the risk of loosing that item.

As for me, if I see something on there I think someone on here would want, I'll post it.  If it's something someone on here is bidding on, sorry, but that's how Ebay works.  I get outbid on stuff all the time, but it doesn't really bother me (even though I don't have a ton of cash to throw at this hobby). 

Crazy Cooter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2005, 09:25:40 pm »
Then you should have bid your maximum amount you're willing to pay. Even in the ebay help they tell you that. If you don't, then you will run the risk of loosing that item.

That's exactly the point.  Say my max is $20 so I search high & low and find a misspelled auction.  I bid my $20.

Now you post it and someone sees it now that otherwise wouldn't have.  They bid up to "retail" ebay price and now I don't "win" the auction.  Had you just walked away, I would have won.

If everyone always knew every auction on ebay, there would be no good deals.  It would become a "retail" store with "retail" prices.  If somebody finds a screaming deal, let them have it or outbid them yourself.  Posting stuff that already has a bidder is just poor ethics IMO.  Give the little guys a fighting chance.  Snipe it yourself or just let it be.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2005, 11:45:23 pm »
I used to post auctions, until one I was watching got posted.  After that, I decided not to do it anymore.  Now, the only thing I will do, is send a PM to somebody I know is looking for something I find.  But that's it, PM only.

"Jjust bid the amout you're willing to pay!"- Sure, that's exactly what I do, although I choose to place the bid at sniping time.  The thing is, an auction with only people who found the auction themselves will close cheaper than one with lots of extra traffic.  Advertising Works, folks!  Don't think that posting here doesn't matter- there are LOTS of people who read these boards that never post.  Think any of them will hold back a bid just because they see a bid from "didyoujustcallmekremmit"? 

As for items with no bids, that's a different story.  Any time I see an item I want with no bids, I put in a little placeholder bid, usually just a hair above the starting price.  This is done precicely so that I have "staked my claim" for people that know me from BYOAC.  (I'll put in my real bid at sniping time.)  If you're watching an item with no bids, don't be stupid, stake your claim!  Otherwise, you've got nothing to complain about when somebody else bids on it or posts it here.

And as for items that are mis-labeled, in the wrong category, etc.- these are the very worst ones to post here, as they are the ones where there's a real chance of getting a super deal.  A while back, NoOne=NBA got a mis-labeled yoke for like 30 bucks- think that would have happened if it had been posted here?

For those of you who think it's great when auctions get posted here- do your own homework!

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2017, 07:20:15 pm
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2005, 01:40:32 am »
I will continue to post ebay ads.  The way I see, it comes down to who wants it the most.  You place a bid for what you are willing to pay.  No one has ever said that anyone has a right to a lowball price.  If you want it bad enough, you'll pay for it.  I saved up for quite a bit for a yoke, luckily I got it for a good price BUT I was willing to pay twice the amount and would sleep just as well at night.  It's capitalism guys, get used to it.

Rocky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 30, 2009, 12:38:41 pm
  • I want to finish my cab before I retire!!
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2005, 09:04:00 am »
The only way I'd post an ebay auction is if it's mine

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2005, 10:28:25 am »
I will continue to post ebay ads.  The way I see, it comes down to who wants it the most.  You place a bid for what you are willing to pay.  No one has ever said that anyone has a right to a lowball price.  If you want it bad enough, you'll pay for it.  I saved up for quite a bit for a yoke, luckily I got it for a good price BUT I was willing to pay twice the amount and would sleep just as well at night.  It's capitalism guys, get used to it.

How is that a good thing?  Every auction, only one guy is going to win.  The difference is, in an auction with fewer bidders, the guy that wins will get it cheaper.  Who are you doing a favor for if you run the price up?  The seller, maybe, but he can do his own advertising.   

Whether it's posted here or not, there's still only one guy that wins it- maybe the same guy that would have gotten it if you hadn't posted, and maybe some other guy with more money.  If somebody had posted your yoke auction here, and the price had doubled, you're telling me you would have been happy to pay twice as much, or to loose completely?  I'm not questioning whether or not you would have been willing to pay more, but would you have been happy?   

Posted by: Rocky
However, It's a free speech forum, so if you want to post it, nobody will stop you.

That's true; and I'm not gonna come after you every time you post an auction- this discussion stays here, and no hard feelings.  Everybody will do what they think is right.  But think hard about it, who are you helping?

tommy

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2005, 10:33:46 am »
If the votes say dont post i wont.

Witchboard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2022, 09:09:24 pm
    • Oklahoma Coin-Operated Collectors
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2005, 12:10:12 pm »
All you guys screaming about losing auctions for $1, I don't think understand how eBay proxy bidding works.  When you're sniped and you lose your auction by what ever the $ increment is yeah, you lost by $1.  What you don't realize is, it may have cost you another $30 to win it.  It all depends on what the sniper bid.  It's only going to increase the bid to the $ increment above your max bid.

What annoys me are these guys that bid in $1 increments up to your max bid instead of putting what they want to spend to begin with.  I don't think they know how eBay proxy bidding works either.  Those are the guys you know for sure are only beating you by $1, but they usually aren't snipers either.

monkeybomb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2005, 12:25:20 pm »
All you guys screaming about losing auctions for $1, I don't think understand how eBay proxy bidding works.  When you're sniped and you lose your auction by what ever the $ increment is yeah, you lost by $1.  What you don't realize is, it may have cost you another $30 to win it.  It all depends on what the sniper bid.  It's only going to increase the bid to the $ increment above your max bid.

What annoys me are these guys that bid in $1 increments up to your max bid instead of putting what they want to spend to begin with.  I don't think they know how eBay proxy bidding works either.  Those are the guys you know for sure are only beating you by $1, but they usually aren't snipers either.

There are two things at work there.  The first is shill bidding.

The legitamate strategy is to uncover the bid of the early bidder and determine where the price is really at.  If you don't like that then you have to bid late.  Honestly It's been a year since I "won" an auction without sniping.

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2005, 02:09:21 pm »
I say don't post unless your selling it............

my $.02 ...........

that's right I am an Ebay cheapskate  ;D

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2005, 02:36:19 pm »
I scored two Atari lit start buttons with cones, from an Asteroids control panel. I'd like to thank you all for not bidding on it!  :D

NO MORE!!

MrTroy

• Offline Offline
  • Working on 4 projects
    • TDP.com
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2005, 02:46:32 pm »
This is horrible! You guys should be ashamed of yourself. Most of the people here complain about what's mine is mine kinda attitude. But won't think anything about stealing arcade roms from a company. Granted people can always say "No one is making money off of it'... but those same people would be angry if someone else was selling those same roms. Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine. :( Seems like everyone is willing to rip off each other just to get what they want.

It's also a Time vs Money issue. I have absolutely no access to the internet on most weekends. I'm really like it if someone could help me find something I'm looking for... here's a hint.

Dude1: Holy crap! Here's a <insert rare item> on ebay mislabled.
Dude2: Knock it off... I'm bidding on that.
(And the BYOAC respects that)

Heck I'd even like
Same Dude2 as before: Hey I found this on Ebay. But that's me bidding on it.

You're willing to sit there and snipe and horde things but not willing to speak up for something your bidding on? We're a community we should all work together.

For those of you who think it's great when auctions get posted here- do your own homework!
Spread the love! :) That kinda thinking makes me sad.

Also... I'd just like to note I use to use ebay to find joystick stuff before I even knew anything about this site. Now I don't even want to say what my ebay name is to anyone cause I always bid on things I want.

monkeybomb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2005, 02:52:03 pm »
This is horrible! You guys should be ashamed of yourself. Most of the people here complain about what's mine is mine kinda attitude. But won't think anything about stealing arcade roms from a company. Granted people can always say "No one is making money off of it'... but those same people would be angry if someone else was selling those same roms. Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine. :( Seems like everyone is willing to rip off each other just to get what they want.

It's also a Time vs Money issue. I have absolutely no access to the internet on most weekends. I'm really like it if someone could help me find something I'm looking for... here's a hint.

Heck I'd even like

You're willing to sit there and snipe and horde things but not willing to speak up for something your bidding on? We're a community we should all work together.

Spread the love! :) That kinda thinking makes me sad.

Also... I'd just like to note I use to use ebay to find joystick stuff before I even knew anything about this site. Now I don't even want to say what my ebay name is to anyone cause I always bid on things I want.

Are tring to stir the pot or is this rediculous post for real.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2005, 03:11:28 pm »

Heck I'd even like

First of all, I've been bid against by someone on here after an auction I had been watching for days was posted here just hours before it ended. I ended up winning, but it proves a point.

Second, don't you think you seem a little two-faced? You want people to give you all the insider info here, but you're not willing to tell anybody your own Ebay username because you expect to be outbidding other people from this site - even after you bring up the idea of staking claims. You want other people to "show their hand", but it sounds like you're not willing to do it, yourself. Seems shady to me, but what do I know?

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2005, 03:34:36 pm »
no matter what is said here, it comes down to who wants it the most.

monkeybomb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2005, 03:54:00 pm »
no matter what is said here, it comes down to who wants it the most.  It's always good to get things cheap, but for god's sake....it's not expected nor owed to anyone.  The only favor that I would be doing for someone posting here is for the guy that wants it worse than the person who is hoping to get an item for a $1 and is not willing to pay a decent amount.  I've lost plenty of auctions and what I think is, "heck, I'm not gonna paying that much..."  Obviously, the guy who paid more wanted it more than me.  If a person was not willing to spend a decent amount, he obviously didn't want the item bad enough (no I'm not wealthy but I save for rainy arcade days).  Of course I wouldn't be happy if I lost an auction, but I wouldn't be sad either. I don't feel a product is owed to me at a cheap price.  I'm happy if I won item for what I was willing to pay.

If I CAN PAY (not want) the most for an item and you post it I will still get it but I might lose 20 bucks on your post  And you're setting precident for the value of stuff.  We are better off if that stays low.  But it doesn't matter anyway since you are going to post and it only takes one bad apple.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2005, 04:16:19 pm »
I would have won a 27" SVGA monitor for about $100 but ended up paying about double that because someone posted on this site, and drove the bid up. Please explain to me how I should be happy about that?

Ya'll make it seem so heartless and cut-throat NOT to post, but the way I see it... posting will drive up prices for everyone one way or another. No matter who wins, they'll end up paying more. An increase in demand without an increase in supply means higher prices. If this is does consistently, the whole price level goes up. In the long run, EVERYBODY loses!

So why post it? If someone here already has their eyes on something, why go blabbing it to the whole world? And I promise you, SOMEONE or another from here has their eyes on virtually every single BYOAC "find" on Ebay at any given moment.

There's only ONE time when posting is definitely acceptable practice - when you're posting your own items up for auction.

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2005, 04:49:44 pm »
no matter what is said here, it comes down to who wants it the most.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 05:04:44 pm by armax »

monkeybomb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2005, 05:07:16 pm »
I find it amazing that you don't see that ome people make a lot of money and that some don't.  My brother is a corporate lawyer who negotiates BILLION dollar real estate deal,  I am a special education teacher.  No matter how much I want something, if he wants it just a little then he gets it.  Money is relative.  Do you really think rich people want a third car more than a poor person wants their first?

No one is entitled to a better deal and no one argues that.  It's a community and a community minded debate.  The real question is a decision between information access vs. great deals for those who might not otherwise get the product at all.  I don't think you even get the point of the discussion.

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2005, 05:11:59 pm »
I find it amazing that you don't see that ome people make a lot of money and that some don't.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 05:22:04 pm by armax »

Shape D.

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 05, 2012, 06:17:57 pm
  • >Look at me, I'm a Newbie<
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2005, 05:15:09 pm »
 :'(
Hey Baby, Have you ever met a Newbie with 38 pages of previous posts before? Do you Want to?

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2005, 05:19:00 pm »
LOL....ok sounds good.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 05:22:31 pm by armax »

monkeybomb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2005, 05:22:04 pm »
LOL....ok sounds good.  everyone quit buying the latest playstation game so the price will drop so I can afford it.  Spread the word.   ;D

What happened to whoever want it the most gets it, not true now?

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2005, 05:23:08 pm »
post edited..  ::)

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2005, 05:25:59 pm »
We're getting off topic. This is supposed to be a thread about whether to post or not.

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2005, 05:30:31 pm »
I thought that's what we were doing?

monkeybomb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2005, 05:31:19 pm »
We're getting off topic. This is supposed to be a thread about whether to post or not.  :police:

(But apparently someone touched a nerve...)

It doesn't matter anymore - He doesn't get it - doesn't support his statments with logic (if at all)  And he's going to post.  No matter what the community wants. To him it's his community.

Take Tommy for example.  He thinks we're wrong, but then he looked at the wishes of the  group and says he wont post now.  Like I said, it only takes one bad apple.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 06:02:47 pm by monkeybomb »

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2005, 05:31:46 pm »
Oh yeah, one other thing...

This board has over 7000 registered members, but not just registered members read this board. The moment you post something here, the secret is out for the whole world to see...

So even though the intent may be to "clue in" someone here, in actuallity you're making it easier for anyone with an internet connection to bid against the very same people you're trying to help.

monkeybomb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2005, 05:32:36 pm »
Oh yeah, one other thing...

This board has over 7000 registered members, but not just registered members read this board. The moment you post something here, the secret is out for the whole world to see...

So even though the intent may be to "clue in" someone here, in actuallity you're making it easier for anyone with an internet connection to bid against the very same people you're trying to help.

Doesn't matter, it's whatever he wants.

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2005, 06:05:32 pm »
Sorry, judging from others who have posted on the thread, I'm not alone in my opinion.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 06:18:36 pm by armax »

monkeybomb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2005, 06:19:19 pm »
Sure,  I'm not one either and I like that we realize that about each other.

The logic about whoever wants it most was way off, I pointed it out and I got a tear and an LOL without a real response.

Rather than calling you a bad apple I should have explained my position more clearly.

The point of considering not to post is to keep price down for those that can't afford it.  that is clear the point to post is to inform everyone who might be able to afford it  but don't have the time to look.  What's best for the community is debateable but the poll is what I was refering to as the wishes of the community.

As for don't jump in the water, that seems harsh too.   To many the point of the board is to get in without having the pocket to do so.  I can't imagine buying a keywiz eco to save 15 dollars but many do it just for that purpose.  I actually have enough money to do what I want to and snipe high prices, so I acctually don't care about the posts, but I feel for those who need to keep things mellow in the bidding war.

However it goes I'll  be fine and keep my cool about it.

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2005, 06:38:17 pm »
Well I'm glad we're mending fences here

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2005, 07:00:23 pm »
I guess we can both agree on this much... We both have sympathy (or lack thereof) - just for different sets of people.

I have sympathy for the people who try really hard to find a deal only to watch it get pulled away. You seem to be sympathetic with people you believe couldn't find parts without your help.

You have no sympathy for people like me who, despite their best efforts to find a deal, get out-bid. I have no sympathy for people who can't handle this hobby on their own despite all the help and support they're given on these boards. (Personally, I think telling a person what to get should be enough. Telling them when and where to get it is more than necesarry. EDIT: If it's a retail site, that's different. There's enough to go around. But on Ebay, there's only 1 winner, and a whole lot of losers.)

Agreed?

On that note, I'm all about helping people here. I've been a member for years, and I've made alot of contributions. However, I know that giving one person a lead on an auction is going to hurt someone else. The chances that the person I hurt being from this board are very high. It's just not productive the way I see it. If one person wins at the expense of another, it's not exactly good for the community at large. If only one person can win it, why not just let SOMEONE get a good deal on it rather than making people battle it out? Do you see what I'm saying?

And you better believe I'll be PO'ed if someone posts something I'm bidding on. And I'll be even madder if someone else here wins it away from me. (That's just a little heads up.) I live in north TX and keep a close watch on everything on Ebay happening around me. Now I'm not going to be upset just because someone else wins something I wanted. That's how Ebay works. But if I were to find out is was because of a lead here... oooohhh.... I dunno...

It's not like I can do anything about it except be mad, but if it happens to alot of people you're gonna breed anger. It's evident from the poll that MOST people would rather not see their watch lists posted for the world to see. So, if nothing else, would it be so bad to follow the wishes of the people that are here to support the community?

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2005, 07:14:44 pm »
I agree somewhat.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 07:16:46 pm by armax »

Crazy Cooter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2005, 07:22:01 pm »
Armax, feel free to post every auction that you bid on. ;)

See the picture?

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2005, 07:32:18 pm »
Armax, feel free to post every auction that you bid on. ;)

See the picture?

Crazy Cooter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2005, 07:41:10 pm »
Because I feel strongly about this, I'm going to give everyone something to think about.

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2005, 07:51:22 pm »
I think the auctions have benefited many members on this site (or this topic wouldn't even be an issue).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 07:59:33 pm by armax »

Crazy Cooter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2005, 09:05:48 pm »
You feel sorry for the ones with lots of time but didn't put in the effort to earn or save money for premium parts or simply don't feel the parts are worth it.

You're way off base.  I don't think you understand what this issue is even about.  Just because someone does search ebay 3 times a day doesn't mean they're not busy with work or family and in no way indicates their "effort to earn or save money".  It's quite apparent by your post what you think of people trying to find a deal.  You want to reward those with money, I want to reward those with knowledge.  Which ones answers your posts around here?  And yes, I realize some people have both. ;)

It's supposed to be this simple:  If you want to pay full price, shop at the retail stores.  If you want a deal, shop ebay (in theory).

Our disagreement lies in whether or not links should be posted.  That's what the poll is for.  Believe me, sooner or later (probably sooner) you're going to get people really pissed by posting auctions.  If you want to pay full price, then just do it.  Go to an online retailer and click "buy".  Why wait for ebay?

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2005, 10:12:52 pm »
You feel sorry for the ones with lots of time but didn't put in the effort to earn or save money for premium parts or simply don't feel the parts are worth it.

You're way off base.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 11:21:00 pm by armax »

tommy

« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2005, 11:16:45 pm »
My head hurts.

Rocky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2005, 11:31:04 pm »
[
naw, I completely understand...

No, I don't think you do. If you just want to argue, then you get the point.

Posting ebay auctions drives prices up... period.

Crazy Cooter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: May 06, 2005, 11:33:02 pm »
Quote from: armax link=topic=36391.msg321508#msg321508 ...rather than guessing what our or 7000 other member's motives and thoughts lie.
[quote
Look at the poll results.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #65 on: May 06, 2005, 11:33:44 pm »
My head hurts.

I hear you.

(I'm rooting for you, Cooter!)

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2005, 12:06:17 am »
Quote from: armax link=topic=36391.msg321508#msg321508 ...rather than guessing what our or 7000 other member's motives and thoughts lie.
[quote
Look at the poll results.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 12:12:55 am by armax »

monkeybomb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2005, 12:10:13 am »
If you want to avoid the next circle feel free to not have the last word.

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2005, 12:16:44 am »
lol, actually the thread is interesting.  I'm enjoying it.  It gives me insight into different members perspective.  I enjoy discussing different aspects of this subject.  I respect Cooters opinion and as well as other members (assuming of course you posted something to add to the the topic rather than posts directed towards individuals....it tells me they have nothing intelligent to contribute...trolls).

monkeybomb

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2005, 12:25:39 am »
okay

Crazy Cooter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2005, 12:46:51 am »
In quick debate style:
First, I know the difference between capitalism and socialism.

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2005, 01:04:43 am »
In quick debate style:
First, I know the difference between capitalism and socialism.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2005, 01:06:52 am »
VERY well put, Cooter. You've said pretty much everything I've been getting at.

armax, think of it this way... according to the poll, most people would rather you not post auctions here (including me). Try to skew those numbers all you want... You're outnumbered two to one. So you'd likely upset more people than you please. Sure you'll only tick everyone off only one or two at a time (depending on who's interested in a given auction), but sooner or later, those numbers are going to add up.

What other reason do you need?
Who's going to be bothered more? Someone who misses an auction? Or someone who got screwed out of a good deal? Every-day auctions come every day, but deals are rare. So why make everyday-auctions out of the few deals out there. If someone is prepared to pay full price for something then they can probably get it anywhere or in one of several other auctions on Ebay.

P.S. On a side note, it's very hard for me to stay clear-headed or objective because I've already lost over $100 directly due to the exact practice you're trying to defend. Maybe you'll change you mind the day this happens to you.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2005, 01:12:31 am »
Because they aren't owed that deal.

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2005, 01:21:15 am »
Alan, opportunity is being taken away.  I like to see those who been searching for that long lost part finally have the opportunity to get it.  Now who wants it most is up to the bidding.  Nothing is being taken away from those looking for deals....it was never theirs to begin with.

As for the Polls, if this represents the majority of BYOAC, then that majority won't bid on the items posted.  The poll is a very small percentage of BYOAC and personally if the majority felt this way, posting here wouldn't be a problem.  They wouldn't respond to it.  Deals are luck, we all know it.  If those willing to pay full price for the item could get it someplace else, cheaper....they would.  NOONE wants to pay more than they have to but sometimes someone else is willing to pay more.  Welcome to capitalism.  You didn't lose $100, someone wanted the item as well.  The item wasnt' owed to you.  The one who wanted it more, paid for it.  you paid the market price.  By the way, read my posts.  It HAS happened to me but I accept that as part of the free market.  If I were in your shoes and didn't want to "lose" $100, I wouldn't have bought the item for that price.  The item isn't owed to you...nor is the deal.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2005, 01:28:42 am »
Alan, opportunity is being taken away.

You're absolutely right. The opportunity to get a good deal.

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2005, 01:40:20 am »
Alan, opportunity is being taken away.

You're absolutely right. The opportunity to get a good deal.

That's right.  To some it's a good price, to others it's getting a product you didn't have access to before.  Heck, maybe someone should email ebay and ask them if advertising an auction is an unfair business practice.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2005, 01:49:58 am »
We're not talking about the internet at large. We're talking about a collaborative group of people doing each other favors but staying out of each others' business.

(And screwing people out of deals and forcing them to pay otherwise higher prices is NOT doing them a favor. If it's a favor at someone else's expense, it's not a favor to the board at large.)

If someone is really searching that hard for something, they'll find it. On that note, I'm tired and headed for bed. G'night ya'll...

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2005, 01:54:43 am »
We're not talking about the internet at large. We're talking about a collaborative group of people doing each other favors but staying out of each others' business.

(And screwing people out of deals and forcing them to pay otherwise higher prices is NOT doing them a favor. If it's a favor at someone else's expense, it's not a favor to the board at large.)

If someone is really searching that hard for something, they'll find it. On that note, I'm tired and headed for bed. G'night ya'll...

You can't screw people out of a deal if it wasn't theirs to begin with.  No one is holding a gun to their head's and forcing them to bid.  That's right, you hold out for the next deal that pops up.  If you get it, it's yours.  If not, better luck next time.  If anyone thinks that this is an unfair business practice, let's email ebay and find out.

grueinthebox

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2014, 12:37:03 pm
  • Feed your head.
    • red42.com
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2005, 04:15:43 am »
I like to see those who been searching for that long lost part finally have the opportunity to get it.

If people are relying on you to post auctions here rather than finding them for themselves, they obviously AREN'T searching to begin with.
"All right. It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two liter bottle of Shasta, and my all Rush mix tape. Let's rock!"

Rocky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2005, 08:48:47 am »
Armax, I think you've made your point.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2005, 11:08:26 am »
I like to see those who been searching for that long lost part finally have the opportunity to get it.

If people are relying on you to post auctions here rather than finding them for themselves, they obviously AREN'T searching to begin with.
That's what I've been trying to say, but haven't been able to do it.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2005, 11:10:51 am »
People actively looking on Ebay are looking for a specific thing. People that see an auction here look at the item and then decide what they can do with it, whether they've been needing it or not. So you're helping the people who may not necessarily need it as bad, and shutting out those that probably need it more.

(I know you're going to attempt a snappy come-back to this arguement, but it doesn't matter. It's true. Spin however you like, but it doesn't change anything.)

tommy

« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2005, 11:54:50 am »
I can agree with that alan, if i had some money to burn and saw a Ebay item on BYOAC i might go for it for no reason just beccause it looks pretty.  ;D

If i had an item in mind i would go directly to Ebay and search myself. (agreed)

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2005, 02:04:22 pm »
Armax, I think you've made your point.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2005, 03:39:25 pm »
Even as people continue to vote, the ratio stays about the same: 2 to 1 against the practice.You'd be bothering more people than you help.

What else matters?

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2005, 05:55:32 pm »
I've addressed the poll as well.  No need to beat a dead horse.

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2005, 11:39:43 pm »
Then I guess we're done!  :)

What a relief... I broke my finger recently playing softball, and it's hard to type handicapped...

Let's all agree to disagree. I guess I won't care too much until I'm affected (again). For the record, I think it's a bad idea along with most of the people voicing there opinions. But voicing my opinion is about the only thing I can do in the matter.

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2005, 11:52:47 pm »
Sounds good Alan.  Thanks for a great discussion.  I think we can both honestly say we kept the blows above the belt and acted with class.  I agree that we disagree but I tend to think we probably would  agree on other topics much more so.  This topics is pretty emotional and I thank you for keeping your cool.

Hope your hand gets better and cut out that softball and get back to wrestling joysticks with your arcade!  :)

Crazy Cooter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2005, 12:40:02 am »
So here's my final say.

To clarify my pov Armax, I'm going to use your example:
"Ever follow up on a good deal that friend gave you a tip on?  I sure have."
Think about the difference in how you would feel if that friend told only you or told 5000 other people.  Friends tell each other about good deals under the table.  They don't announce it over a PA system.  I'm not saying you can't bid on things, I'm not saying you can't ever post an ebay link.  What I'm requesting (and so is 70% of the people here) is that you use some common sense doing it.  If someone has placed a bid, you're "friend" already knows about it so don't announce it over the PA system.  I think that my recommendations of when/when not to post an auction are a good guideline to follow.  If you post auctions at whim, you're going to piss off 70% of the people on this site.

Here's what I think we should all do:

*If you see an item on ebay (such as a yoke) AND it has no bids on the FINAL day, post it so someone can bid on it and capitalism can take it's course.

*If you see an item (such as a yoke) BUT it's not the last day OR it has a bidder, DON'T post it.  You're "friend" (someone that shares an interest in arcades) already knows about it.  Don't announce it over the PA.

Armax, there's no reason to ask ebay anything.  This isn't their site.  If you need further clarification on what is a good idea and what isn't a good idea to post for ebay auctions, we can take it up with Saint.  But I'll tell you now that he tends to side with the majority vote.  Add to it the fact that you would personally be responsible pissing off 70% of us and cost us additional money, I can speculate as to what his response would be.

Let's discuss Capitalism and Free trade in the EE forum.  Go ahead and start a thread titled "Economics 095" with your definitions of each.  I'll let you know when school is in session.

-out-

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2005, 01:17:13 am »
Cooter, this poll does not speak for a majority.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 01:42:48 am by armax »

Crazy Cooter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2005, 01:53:08 am »
Seriously armax, quit being a troll.

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2005, 02:01:29 am »
Now you're calling me a troll because I disagree with your POV?

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2005, 10:36:15 am »
Well, I've been asked to weigh in on this thread. Unfortunately, I officially have no stance on the matter. This is one board members will have to decide for themselves :)

--- saint
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2005, 11:22:17 am »
Well, I've been asked to weigh in on this thread. Unfortunately, I officially have no stance on the matter. This is one board members will have to decide for themselves :)

--- saint

Good grief!  ;)

P.S. Did you at least vote??? (You don't have to say which way you voted.)

Crazy Cooter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2005, 12:37:30 pm »
Now you're calling me a troll because I disagree with your POV?

I'm calling you a troll because you say you're still going to post items when the majority of people have said they don't want you too.

I'm calling you a troll because you are argueing about economics when you have no grasp of what you are even talking about, and this thread isn't about "free market", "capitalism" or what ever other new word you learned in 3rd grade Social Studies today.

I'm calling you a troll because you have zero grasp as to how ebay works (evidenced by you're "-1" overall feed back according to your email address), and how the seller can set a reserve for a price that they will "be happy" with.

I'm quite simply calling you a troll because you continue to try and cause an arguement.  That's the definition of a troll, that's what you're doing, that's what I called you.  I'll agree that I have no class ;), but that has no bearing on me calling you a troll.  I'm just pointing to something that has a waddle to it's walk and calling it a duck.

lcddream

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2020, 06:56:49 pm
  • Say goodbye to gravity...
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2005, 12:45:29 pm »

--- saint

does this mean officially the poll will determine the overall outcome of this devilish dilemma?

edit:sp
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 02:44:23 pm by lcddream »

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2005, 01:00:05 pm »
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 11:23:24 pm by armax »

monkeybomb

• Offline Offline

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2005, 01:50:41 pm »
Quote from: armax
Sorry, wrong guy Coot..I wasn't the first person with the user name.
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2005, 01:54:45 pm »
Sorry, wrong guy Coot..I wasn't the first person with the user name.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 11:43:19 pm by armax »

quarterback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2005, 02:21:39 pm »
I'm sure Saint will decide if your and Cooters posts violate his rules (if it's flaming).

???  I'm not 'flaming' anybody.   I just did a quick search of these forums, found your email address and then searched eBay and found the information that I'm assuming CCooter referred to.

a quick call to cox will show that this user name was assigned to me early last year.

I'm not so sure about that.    No ISP that I've been with will give out personal account information to random callers.

If I'm not mistaken, the ebay user account was activated several years ago.

How did you so quickly know whose user account that is and when it was activated? 

In fact, why would you say "Sorry, wrong guy Coot..I wasn't the first person with the user name"   when Cooter didn't even mention anybody's user name?   What "user name" were you referring to?
-- Chad Tower

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2005, 02:31:04 pm »
I voted :)

--- saint

Good grief!  ;)

P.S. Did you at least vote??? (You don't have to say which way you voted.)
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2005, 02:31:49 pm »
No :) It means there's no official policy one way or another.

--- saint

does this mean officially the poll will determine the overall outcome of this devilish dilemna?
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2005, 02:36:10 pm »
So Saint, is there flaming going on here?  Maybe you could moderate this discussion to keep the discussion civil?

quarterback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2005, 02:37:23 pm »
a quick call to cox will show that this user name was assigned to me early last year.
-- Chad Tower

AmericanDemon

• The Reason the short bus was invented... 100% Slacker Guaranteed, 4:20 yet?
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2019, 11:08:03 pm
  • Still an AmericanDemon
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2005, 02:39:24 pm »
You know this is sad.  I hate when topics like this pop up and nothing but arguments break out.  I for one would like to see a list of everyones EBAY names.   That way if I see a part on Ebay I am gonna bid on..... if its a BYOACer, it gives me the chance to contact them and find out if its a part that they need or a part they are willing to bid against me on. 

Simple answer, we need a BYOACer code of ebaying.  I dont care if whatever I bid on is shown on the forums, but what I do hate is when people argue over something that will not be resolved by a poll or by bickering. 

We need to draft a set of rules.  Nuff said.

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2005, 02:55:12 pm »
I'm not going to lower myself down any further by defending myself personally (but the user name I'm referring to must be the ebay user name...I have a 10 feedback) , I'll let people reach their own conclusions about me.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 10:40:57 pm by armax »

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2005, 03:01:46 pm »
Well my name here is the same as on Ebay. Hell, it's just about the same everywhere!

This poll is just discussion. No policy will come of it. Arguing is almost pointless because it won't really bring any change (even though I know I'm right).   ;D

The issue is just not significant enough to make hard rules for it. That's why Saint won't step in. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

grueinthebox

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2014, 12:37:03 pm
  • Feed your head.
    • red42.com
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2005, 03:05:15 pm »
So can any of you who voted against the posting answer the quote above about the widowed lady?

I had a really long reply that I'd just finished up and decided to delete...  I think it all boils down to this, anyway:

Most people would not find it entirely acceptable to take advantage of the little old lady's ignorance.  The solution would be to advise her that she would be able to get more for the T2 machine.  If she still wanted to sell it to you for $50 knowing that, it would be fine to buy it.  Some people (myself included) are concerned only with getting a price they can be happy with for items they sell, especially when they're being put into the hands of someone who can use them.  Not everyone is concerned with dicking someone out of every penny possible, to the exclusion of all else.

Posting auctions here in order to "help the ignorant" is not the equivalent of informing the little old lady.  To make the analogy accurate, you'd have to go home and start taking out ads on the little old lady's behalf with a listed price of $350 (or whatever is standard) for the machine.  If you see something listed on eBay that you feel is in error, and want to "help the seller", drop them a line and let them know what you believe the error to be.  If it truly was an error, and they really want to, they can correct it.  If not, then don't go out of your way to make sure no one gets "a deal" out of it.

My question is this: why is it okay to harm the buyer to the benefit of the seller (as you're doing when you negate the work they've done to hunt down an item and save money), when the opposite is clearly not acceptable?
"All right. It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two liter bottle of Shasta, and my all Rush mix tape. Let's rock!"

quarterback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2005, 03:08:46 pm »
My question is this: why is it okay to harm the buyer to the benefit of the seller (as you're doing when you negate the work they've done to hunt down an item and save money), when the opposite is clearly not acceptable?

My question is this:
-- Chad Tower

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #111 on: May 08, 2005, 03:18:14 pm »
Because it's not honest.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 03:25:20 pm by armax »

quarterback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: May 08, 2005, 03:21:36 pm »
There's nothing dishonest about allowing somebody to sell something at a price that they think is acceptable but you think is too low.
-- Chad Tower

AmericanDemon

• The Reason the short bus was invented... 100% Slacker Guaranteed, 4:20 yet?
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2019, 11:08:03 pm
  • Still an AmericanDemon
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2005, 03:25:26 pm »
Alright in this context, if you are standing at an auction.  Physically there.  A perfect home owned Defender comes up on auction.  However the marquee and bezel are i na box with it.  The auctioneer starts the bidding on this unknown arcade cabinet....

Do you:

A)  Stop the auction and tell them what it is?

B)  Bid and walk away with a deal?

We all know that we are going to do B.

Now in the context that one of your friends is auctioning the same Defender.  You see it before the auction happens what do you do?

A)  Tell him to get it re-appraised with the new information

B)  Stand in line for the auction and take the item.

This is a matter of ethics people.  If you buying so be it.  Ignorance is bliss.  If its a BYOACer selling an item, they should know what they are selling.  if someone doesnt take the time to research values it is their own fault.

I had this happen to me before.  I auctioned a game online.  I didnt even look it up first.  Happened to be a copy of DragonballZ Shinbutoden.  I sold it for 45 bucks.  Thought it was great!  Then I looked on Ebay and noticed the rest were going for 120 bucks.  I felt pwned.  But you know what.  It taught me a lesson.

Now someone lock this topic please.

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2005, 03:30:12 pm »
But wouldn't it have been great if someone told you what it was actually worth?  It's sad that instead of someone doing the right thing, we wrap it up by saying, "they should have known better".  Heck, not everyone is the sharpest pencil out there but taking advantage of them isn't right.

We all have taken advantage of someone, but why scream to a community to condone and protect it?

ignorance is bliss but not justification in being taken advantage of...

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2005, 03:31:34 pm »
oh, and I agree.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 11:44:30 pm by armax »

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2005, 04:28:43 pm »
I've been waiting for this thread to run out.  It was a discussion worth having, and I'm sure it's given the folks who've been following along a chance to decide once and for all where they stand on the issue, but I can't see anybody changing anybody else's mind at this late date.  There hasn't been any new ground broken since page 2 somewhere, so at this point, there's a couple of friends of mine that want to comment:

« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 04:34:58 pm by Kremmit »

lcddream

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2005, 11:51:46 pm »
i think the solution to this matter can be summed up by the old adage

give a man a fish he eats for a day

teach a man to fish he eats for life

point being instead of spinning your goodwill wheels, by posting every "killer" deal on this board...

maybe start a thread giving some people pointers instead of letting them get fat off your work

if they don't have the skills help them that way, rather than giving them breakfast in bed

edit: typo
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 11:54:53 pm by lcddream »

quarterback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2005, 12:05:32 am »
give a man a fish he eats for a day
teach a man to fish he eats for life
point being instead of spinning your goodwill wheels, by posting every "killer" deal on this board...
maybe start a post giving some people pointers instead of letting them get fat off your work
if they don't have the skills help them that way, rather than giving them breakfast in bed

It's true.
-- Chad Tower

lcddream

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2005, 12:43:27 am »
i like it :)

sorry for all the commonly used phrases, slowly i am becoming the people i work for...kinda like office space

if you could stop ruining peoples bid sniping that'd be greeeatt, you can go ahead and not post that stuff anymore

edit: im dumb
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 12:49:24 am by lcddream »

MrTroy

• Offline Offline
  • Working on 4 projects
    • TDP.com
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2005, 12:33:46 pm »
Ok...From now on If I find a sweet deal I'll keep it to myself. I mean honestly it's a pointless arguement any further down this line. armax if people don't want you posting that stuff. Don't. Majority rules. Any posting of that means you're just trying to make things worst. This doesn't have to be a 3-4 page debate/argument.

And yeah I'm being a coward not saying my ebay name. :( It's donnieharris. I bid on a lot of porn so I don't want anyone seeing that. ;D

AlanS17

• Offline Offline
    • AlanS17
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2005, 01:54:37 pm »

And yeah I'm being a coward not saying my ebay name. :( It's donnieharris. I bid on a lot of porn so I don't want anyone seeing that. ;D

LOL that's hilarious...

Crazy Cooter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2005, 02:19:28 pm »
I'll be the first to say I'd beg/borrow/steal the $50 and "take advantage" of the old bag... if you define taking advantage of her as getting rid of what she must see as an eyesore and she only wants $50 to get it out of her sight.

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2005, 02:48:16 pm »
I'll be the first to say I'd beg/borrow/steal the $50 and "take advantage" of the old bag... if you define taking advantage of her as getting rid of what she must see as an eyesore and she only wants $50 to get it out of her sight.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 04:06:03 pm by armax »

Crazy Cooter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2005, 08:58:50 pm »
I'm used to following your posts on everything else and you usually are very concise and on the ball.
It's Monday, I had to something at work. ;)
You seem contradictary in your postings though.  You say it's immoral to get a deal/take advantage of the seller, yet you started a thread for freebies (which I think is a good idea but should be a daughterboard.  See the website forum for my post).  So how is scoring a freebie any different than getting a deal/taking advantage of a seller?  That's the part of the difference between ebay and a retail setting.  With used items, there is a "Do I want it anymore" factor (among others).  If a seller thinks so little of an item as to not be careful to list it correctly or do any research for the approximate worth of the item, my buying it a low price could be keeping it out of the trash.  If you think it's bad to buy for a low price, then how can you justify receiving an item that is just being given away?

And do you think my guidelines for ebay postings is fair?

armax

• Offline Offline
  • Game Not Over
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2005, 10:04:25 pm »
I'm used to following your posts on everything else and you usually are very concise and on the ball.
It's Monday, I had to something at work. ;)
You seem contradictary in your postings though.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2005, 11:15:24 pm »
At this point is there any reason to continue the debate any further?

lcddream

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2005, 11:23:46 pm »
kiss and get it over with

AlanS17

• Offline Offline