Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My sad sorry excuse of a MAME cab  (Read 5083 times)

axl1826

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2014, 06:24:50 pm
  • "We Gotta Find The Technodrome!"
My sad sorry excuse of a MAME cab
« on: March 04, 2012, 02:16:16 am »
So I have seen the fantastic builds that some of you all have done, I thought "well hell why not, I'll post the pictures of my sorry ass build". So here they are, any comments are appreciated, but please be kind this is my first attempt. I would like to thank all the members of this board for the limitless amount of info they provided to make this build possible, I never asked questions nor did I become a member till after the build was done (with exception to cosmetic of course) so thank you all!

axl1826

• Offline Offline
Re: My sad sorry excuse of a MAME cab
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 02:16:58 am »

axl1826

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 02:17:26 am »

axl1826

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 02:18:01 am »

axl1826

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 02:18:36 am »

Lormax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2012, 05:57:13 am
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 02:41:56 am »
It seems like the trackball section sticking out would really get in the way?

axl1826

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 02:45:22 am »
I thought it would too, but it really doesn't get in the way at all.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 03:54:47 am »
I see that you are no stranger to "self depreciating humour".  I like that in a person  :D.

OK so it's not the most impressive cab ever seen on these boards,  But it is a cab and you obviously get enjoyment from using it. I am guessing that the design choices made were due to keeping the control panel within the confines of the cab rather then cutting it up to allow more width.

Only 1 question,  Why are there 4 buttons for the trackball?

axl1826

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 04:28:01 am »
The only reason there are four buttons for the trackball is that i bought the trackball from x-arcade and t came with the four buttons so i felt compelled to install them

Pinball Wizard

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 03:47:13 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 12:02:04 pm »
It is a simple build, but as long as you can enjoy it, that is all that matters. You count for more than I do, I participate on this forum without even having my own cabinet. That is finally going to change here shortly, but it has been 3 years of me being a member without a build.
Where's my gold star :P

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 12:21:52 pm »
Hey dont beat yourself up man. Ive seen a lot worse builds, and its not bad, especially for a first attempt.

Welcome to the board and the hobby that going to take a lot of your money and free time.

Sparkolicious

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2022, 05:41:24 pm
  • Measure twice cut once dern it!
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 12:36:10 pm »
 :applaud: Good job! I mean how many people do you know that can say they've built an arcade machine?

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 01:40:38 pm »
I dunno. It doesn't look too bad to me.

The trackball sticking out like that does look a little odd, but, if you play any game that requires you to really whack the ball, that layout likely works far better that putting the ball closer in to the screen (where you can bang your fingers nicely).

A little clean up, some custom artwork, a plex overlay, etc could really spruce it up. And that stuff's pretty easy to do. You've already done the hard parts.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2024, 06:22:10 am
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 02:16:20 pm »
Once you get some fresh art on the sides and on the CP it'll be like a new cab.  You did a great job right out of the gate and I really respect the fact that you finished a build and then came up on the boards.  Shows a willingness to use the information already available and make a go of it yourself.  Well done.   :applaud:

I think the CP is a bit odd but it's not a deal breaker by any means, maybe just a bit angular.  I nice curve would take some of the visual edge off but all in all a great first cab.  If you enjoy playing it that's what matters. 

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 03:02:12 pm »
I like the control panel design.  It's a different tack from the usual rectangle-with-a-curve that almost everybody uses (I was too lazy for the curve myself).  Creative use of the traditional cabinet width while still adding on a major control (trackball).

What is that original art on the right side?  Looks familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:42:27 am
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 03:15:28 pm »
I bet when your buddies see your machine they get excited and say "awesome, can I have go".  You've come into the forum the way a quite a few folks do with the experience of a cab already built under your belt.  Your CP is an interesting variation on controls and trackball arrangement, people often do the reverse placing the trackball right up near the screen which is not so playable for trackball games.  If it's comfortable enough to play the other games you like then some fresh, bright art on the sides and a spruce up here and there will add some 'snap' to your cab.

It takes guts to post up a project coming fresh into the forum but most folks here will only be trying to offer constructive criticism.  It's a really fluid hobby, you take something you've built, learn something, improve, learn some more and before you know it you'll be offering advice of your own.  I'll be ready to listen.

:cheers:

Ond

axl1826

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 03:39:31 pm »
I like the control panel design.  It's a different tack from the usual rectangle-with-a-curve that almost everybody uses (I was too lazy for the curve myself).  Creative use of the traditional cabinet width while still adding on a major control (trackball).

What is that original art on the right side?  Looks familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.

thanks! the original side art is Gravitar, when i got the cabinet it was completly gutted and had seen atleast two conversions, there was a Black Widow cp and the Street Fighter II marquee and button layout.

I dunno. It doesn't look too bad to me.

The trackball sticking out like that does look a little odd, but, if you play any game that requires you to really whack the ball, that layout likely works far better that putting the ball closer in to the screen (where you can bang your fingers nicely).

A little clean up, some custom artwork, a plex overlay, etc could really spruce it up. And that stuff's pretty easy to do. You've already done the hard parts.

the main reason for the trackball sticking out so far is that I love playing Golden Tee! but one of my good friends has a bit of a problem as far as grace while using the control, he pretty much throws his entire body into every drive.

I bet when your buddies see your machine they get excited and say "awesome, can I have go".  You've come into the forum the way a quite a few folks do with the experience of a cab already built under your belt.  Your CP is an interesting variation on controls and trackball arrangement, people often do the reverse placing the trackball right up near the screen which is not so playable for trackball games.  If it's comfortable enough to play the other games you like then some fresh, bright art on the sides and a spruce up here and there will add some 'snap' to your cab.

It takes guts to post up a project coming fresh into the forum but most folks here will only be trying to offer constructive criticism.  It's a really fluid hobby, you take something you've built, learn something, improve, learn some more and before you know it you'll be offering advice of your own.  I'll be ready to listen.

:cheers:

Ond

All my buddies like the machine especially the versatility of the software, the artwork will come in due time I have to take a break from spending on it or the Wife will kill me, not too bad though had a lot of the stuff i used lying around the house I think I'm only about $200 in on it. I am always down for constructive criticism and thank you all for your inputs!

tsukikage

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 05, 2023, 01:04:01 pm
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 04:54:48 pm »
Add me to the list of those who tell you don't beat yourself up.  I think it looks good and Function is > Form!  I bet you can get a better crack at that trackball than most around here do.  You're project looks like it's crazy fun to play and that's what really matters.

Dervacumen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2019, 10:11:11 pm
  • Home of Three Squares dice game
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 07:42:15 pm »
The CP design is actually more functional that most I've seen, including mine.  I can see where it wouldn't really be a problem.  I like it, and I'm stealing your idea for my next project.
Bringing to life a child's imagination.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:59:28 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 09:24:11 pm »
Well, if you want an honest critique, count me as one that doesn't care for the shape of your control panel. To me, it just sticks out too far and looks unnatural, especially since the front of your cab is flat. In order to fix it, take a look at some of the Midway cabinets (some of the Mortal Kombat types), where the front is extended. You could do the same with panels that follow the shape of your control panel so that it's not a non-standard shape jutting out off of a standard cabinet.

Other than that, welcome to this hobby. Discover what you like, learn from your mistakes, find what you can improve, and keep going!  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 09:57:30 am »
Welcome to the boards and great job building the cab.  I'm a big fan of building what you want and enjoying it that way so good stuff!

If I have to critique it, it would be that you don't have any reinforcement that I can see of the CP sticking way out.  Do you have any additional angle reinforcement under it that you can't see in the pics?  I would be super worried about someone leaning on the trackball area and either toppling the machine or snapping your CP in half/part of it off.

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 10:41:32 am »
take a look at some of the Midway cabinets (some of the Mortal Kombat types), where the front is extended. You could do the same with panels that follow the shape of your control panel so that it's not a non-standard shape jutting out off of a standard cabinet.

+1
those cabs with the front that bumps out seem a lot more interesting visually than those with flat fronts.
Definitely something to consider

axl1826

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 06:02:07 pm »
Awful photo I know, this is the front view of my CP as far as it being structurally sound it is 16" long 7" of that is all that hangs over the edge of the original CP. It is made out of 1/2 MDF and bolted through the original metal CP in 12 spots 4 carriage bolts 8 joystick mounting bolts and then 15 of the buttons are also through newly drilled holes and help to support is as well. I can definitely had concerns about the front snapping when i made it, once i put the sides on it gave it a brace i have yet to construct a bottom for the front half, when I do that will also just a lot of the abuse and help brace it.

take a look at some of the Midway cabinets (some of the Mortal Kombat types), where the front is extended. You could do the same with panels that follow the shape of your control panel so that it's not a non-standard shape jutting out off of a standard cabinet.

+1
those cabs with the front that bumps out seem a lot more interesting visually than those with flat fronts.
Definitely something to consider

I really like this style, thanks for the suggestion I may have to try this for my next project! I'll have to get a little better at woodworking first, this whole thing has definitely been a learning process, I had never used my router to carve before the trackball insertion that in and of itself was fun and new.

I am glad that some of you like the design It suits my needs my main goal was to stay inside the confines of the original CP width.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 07:32:43 pm »
Nice first build.  If it suits you then you built it spot on.   :applaud: :applaud:

PIZZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2013, 10:24:17 am
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 08:03:07 pm »
Actually it look like a good setup for Golden Tee considering there isnt much width space at the CP

quintinbiker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 27, 2012, 12:47:18 am
  • Go big or go home
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2012, 12:22:01 pm »
Look at my mame cab bru, then you see what's bad. your one looks much better than mine.
Life is your game
How you win determines your score
How you loose determines your credits
But to play the game you have to have real credits.

That's why I'm
GAME OVER
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
LIVE TO RIDE
RIDE TO LIVE
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Biker born, Biker Bread, When I Die I'm Biker Dead
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:59:06 am
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2012, 03:36:01 pm »
If it plays then  :cheers: , I dont think I would ever not play and enjoy it if it looks lame.

axl1826

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 02:04:24 am »
Here is what i am thinking about for a Marquee what do ya'll think?

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 02:30:06 am »
Here is what i am thinking about for a Marquee what do ya'll think?

I like it, Did you make it yourself? I do feel like the TEXT blends in to much, maybe make it for bold? of its just me.

axl1826

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 02:36:47 am »
Yes i made it myself here it is with the text in bold. Good ol' google image search!

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2012, 02:41:27 am »
Looks good, I cant wait to start my marquee, the only thing my arcade has going is the CP (tankstick)