Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Thougths on artwork? (INVADER)  (Read 6521 times)

jfunk

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2018, 04:36:39 pm
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
Thougths on artwork? (INVADER)
« on: March 20, 2005, 02:13:13 pm »
As I'm working on the various bits and pieces of my cabinet (painting and the like), I'd really like to get my art design under way.

As you can see in this thread

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,33700.0.html

I'm building a UAII cab..  I'm thinking of painting the bottom half green and using black t-molding, with the top half in black and using green t-molding.  I've got ideas for my sideart and marquee..  Here's a really bad mockup  :)

I'm trying to stay very simple.  I want it to have a classic feel with a modern look..?  Make sense?  :)  I like the look of this space invader graphic with the color fades...

Of course, I'll need to vectorize it, and I have no idea how to do the fades with vectors, but I'll cross that bridge later  :)  Then, my poor first-mockup of the marquee is:

I want it more 'menacing' than that, though..  Like the word INVADER is coming towards Earth..  Probably a different font..?  And this is TOTALLY not the right dimensions..  Just getting a feel for what I want...

I have no real thoughts on my control panel, yet..  You can see how it's laid out in my project thread.  I'm thinking I'll put the INVADER text circled with 'spokes' coming out to the different controls.  This'll be in the big open area..  Maybe..?  The admin buttons will be on a board right under the monitor.  Black start/coin buttons and green pause/exit..  Not sure if I'll do anything with those, or not.

And I'm not sure about the 'stenciled' INVADER on the bottom of the cab, either..  Just a thought.

Looking for any advice I can get.  I'm horrible with the art/graphics/creativity, but I'm trying my best  :)

Thanx for looking!!

[edited to change image links throughout thread - 20051128 - jfunk]
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 02:36:26 pm by jfunk »

jfunk

• Offline Offline
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
Re: Thougths on artwork? (INVADER)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 03:29:04 pm »
2 more little bits of 'artwork' I did..  This one is my BIOS boot screen:

which hides the bios info when the computer is starting up, and here's my replacement XP boot screen...

The 'loading bar' I've just made black so it's not visible at all  :)

I like these enough that I'll probably keep them, unless they totally conflict with my final design..  :)

I'll probably also work on creating my own MAMEWAH skins..  But that's later on  :)

Thanx!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 02:37:13 pm by jfunk »

jfunk

• Offline Offline
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 04:18:34 pm »
Well, I've just ordered by black and green t-molding from t-molding.com..  So it looks like the major design colors stay, although, I could still switch things around if needed..  Should have plenty of extra..

Still looking for any thoughts/advice?  Any tips for a graphics/artist wannabe?

Thanx!

pmc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 07:43:02 am
    • website
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2005, 07:23:36 pm »
I dig the BIOS screen although it's somewhat out of context with the Space Invaders theme.

- pmc

jfunk

• Offline Offline
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005, 08:21:22 pm »
Yeah, I know..  But when I thought of it, I couldn't pass it up..  Besides, it _is_ a multi-game system..  :)

But, if I can think of something better, or somebody suggests something better, I'm open to change  :)

Thanx!

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 09:22:13 am
  • Your arcade games will be assimilated!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 09:39:27 pm »
I like the look of your cabinet and colour scheme etc, green is nice.

For you marquee though I would make the "A" in "INVADER" look like the "A" in "SPACE" in this picture:

Just a suggestion anyway, good luck.

wallyhooker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2015, 11:33:36 am
    • www.poprocksfanclub.com
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 08:30:48 am »
Looks cool.  I like your color scheme with lots of green on the base.   

i would go for consistency between the side art and the marquee.  Use a similar gradient in the marquee font, to get a color fade like your side art.  And maybe a more "computerized" looking depiction of earth, rather than a photo.

Wally

jfunk

• Offline Offline
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 10:40:04 am »
Hrm.. I like that idea..

Maybe use a smaller image of the earth and blow it up really big so it's very pixelly...

I'm not sure how to do the fades with the lettering in PSP..  I guess I'll need to find out..  I also like the looks of that 'A', RetroBorg...  I'll have to see if I can add that, too  :)

Hrm...  Ideas, ideas...

Thanx!

wallyhooker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 11:43:46 am »
I was bored at work, so i whipped up a quick photoshop version of what it might look like with a pixelated earth.

jfunk

• Offline Offline
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 11:59:34 am »
CLOSER!!  :)

The font, oddly enough, is called 'Arcade'  :)

http://www.dafont.com/en/alpha.php?lettre=a&page=25

Maybe I need to learn Photoshop  :)  IF I could do it, here's what I'd change (again, dimensions are wrong, so that'd have to be "fixed" later...)

I'd make the letters bigger at the bottom..  Almost like it's coming towards Earth..   Maybe the fade could go from black/dark at the top to the lighter at the bottom for the same effect..?  Maybe even opposite those last 2, depending on how it looks..  However, I really do like the 3D effect given..   Hrmm..  Maybe drop the red in the globe  :)  And a starfield..  I'd actually toyed with the idea of making the starfield out of small white 'invaders'..  Didn't know if that would be too cheesey, though  :)

Please don't feel like this is a request list  :)  You've given me a great example to start with..  But, if you're still bored  :)

Also, any tutorials you know of to do text effects like what you've shown/I've described?  Maybe even for Paint Shop Pro?  :)

Thanx!!

jfunk

• Offline Offline
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 12:24:05 pm »
Looking at your mockup, again, it does look like you've got the idea of "heading towards earth" in there..  Subtle, but I like it  :)

Just thinking out loud  :)

Thanx.

wallyhooker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 12:52:41 pm »
Looking at your mockup, again, it does look like you've got the idea of "heading towards earth" in there..

jfunk

• Offline Offline
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 02:51:00 pm »
I played with it a bit over lunch..  Not satisfied, but it's not horrible  :)

Can't figure out how to change the text like you did to make top or bottom larger/smaller.. :(  Also, I've added the invader 'starfield'..  I think they should all be a lot smaller..  Either that, or they should be of differing sizes like they're scattered through 3d space..  I'll have to work on that..

You can dl the font here:

http://www.e-funk.net/arcade/invader/ARCADE.TTF

Thanx!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 02:38:10 pm by jfunk »

wallyhooker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 04:07:11 pm »
I
Can't figure out how to change the text like you did to make top or bottom larger/smaller.. :(

toadman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 16, 2006, 04:20:13 pm
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 05:03:11 pm »
Hmm.. here's a slightly different take on the idea. Basically, instead of having the word "Invader" doing the invading of Earth, the concept is to use space invaders themselves, in a formation reminiscent of the game. The concept doesn't work great with the aspect ratio of a marquee, but like I said, it's just a quick image to get you thinking:

-jvp

SideShow Rob

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2005, 07:05:07 pm »
Or you could compose the letters - INVADER , from the space invader graphics themselves, and using the replacement A from RetroBorgs idea earlier, to break the text effect up a little.

If you imagine every * being replaced by the space invader graphic, you will hopefully see what I mean:

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2005, 11:50:04 am »
Invader with Alien:

jfunk

• Offline Offline
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2005, 12:00:39 pm »
I might play with that a bit..  looks 'awkward' in the smaller dots..  maybe if the dots matched the other lettering..?

Hrm..

RetroBorg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2005, 12:08:21 pm »
Yeah, that's what I thought I'm looking for a matching font now.

jfunk

• Offline Offline
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2005, 10:17:07 am »
Yet another go...

I _really_ like this one..  Incorporates several suggestions and tips from this thread  :)

I think I like the idea of a full res Earth more than the pixellated one..  But the skew and other text techniques are great!  :)

Suggestions I've had so far:

- Text fades too much at the bottom, kinda hard to read 'VAD'...
- Perhaps a glow around the earth so it doesn't fade into the bg...
- Angle of 'invaders' could be improved..

I'm struggling with the first 2 suggestions..  I like the 'see through' aspect of the text, but don't want it hard to read..  hrm..  And I also like how the upper right of the globe fades into the bg, but i think the rest of it could use some outline.. 

However, with all of these suggestions, I'm beginning to reach the limits of my graphics abilities  :)

Any other thoughts/suggestions?  Is there too much 'white' on there for a lighted marquee?

The graphics look a TON better at the 300dpi on my computer..  Can't post that image, though  :)  And this is the right dimensions..  24.5" x 7.25"...  So I'm definitely getting closer!  :)

Would love to hear thoughts/suggestions!

Thanx!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 02:38:43 pm by jfunk »

wallyhooker

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2005, 09:01:58 am »
looks pretty cool! 

You might change the angle of the invaders so they are all sliding under the green letters.  the two outer rows of invaders are at too high an angle.

Wally

jfunk

• Offline Offline
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2005, 04:21:18 pm »
I think this will be the final version of my marquee, unless something is drastically wrong or somebody suggests something I just HAVE to have  :)

Here's the link to it at 800px wide..  (The forum sizes it at 640  :(  )

http://www.e-funk.net/arcade/invader/images/marquee.jpg

Things that I changed from the last version:

- Changed angle of outside 'invaders'
- Added 'glow' around the Earth
- Added black 'border' to top and bottom..  Because the marquee holder should cover about 5/8" on the top and bottom of the marquee, and I didn't want it covering the cool stuff  :)

Anyways, I'd love to hear thoughts!  You can see the full 300dpi version here:

http://www.e-funk.net/arcade/invader/images/marquee_highres.jpg

It's a 1.4MB monster  :)  The 'starfield' will look like crap, but it doesn't look to bad when you shrink it down to the size it'll be printed out at.  I hope it's good enough!!  Can anyone look at it and say whether or not it will print nicely?  (Probably will use mamemarquees.com...)

So, now, I have my sideart and my marquee!  :)  Again, the side art will be the little invader guy in the first post.  Can anyone vectorize him for me?  I've given it a couple of shots, but PSP is hard to do this with, from what I can tell.  And I'm having trouble with the gradient  :(  Should be REALLY easy to vector for someone good at it?   :-\

Now, I need to start on my CPO.  I really have no good direction on this one.  You can see my CP in my project thread.  Any ideas?

Thanx for all the great help/tips/suggestions so far!!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 02:40:33 pm by jfunk »

cholin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2009, 09:22:25 pm
    • Nilok Productions
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2005, 10:39:25 pm »
Im no good at photoshop but I though Id throw in that I love the idea of your cabinet, it seems like it's gonna look amazing!

Stu_C

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2018, 03:54:39 am
  • Reading, UK
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2005, 12:12:00 pm »
Had a quick go....  :)

oldsage

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2005, 09:11:47 pm
  • Does SHMIGRUB ring any bells??
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2005, 12:51:02 pm »
Here's a quick try... Not sure if that's what you wanted...
If the res is not enough i can email you a EPS, SWF, PDF, AI, higher res JPG or PNG, or whatever...
I had a cool sig once... But it had to go because of *someone*... You know who you are!

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2005, 02:47:43 pm »
hi jfunk

when I look at your final version, I somehow got the impression that its not blended in smoothly... I got the first impression that its just layers plyed together... 

these are just my personal opinions, or what I would prefer if its me doing this....

I would definitely take the advise of the other guy suggested before and change the "A" in the middle to become an invader...

the one that I attach below should look close enough to like an "A"....

your word invader is fading at the bottom, but the invader does not fade... seems like a mis-match....
I think if the invaders also fade towards the earth a little, it might look better...

also... I will make the word INVADER a little shorter; OR make the invaders skew a little more, so that the word invaders doesn't cross the word... (or maybe after you faded the invader, it'll look better...)

those are what I think would make your pic better...

hope it helps...
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

jfunk

• Offline Offline
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2005, 11:39:07 pm »
@Stu_C:  very nice!  Not quite the look I'm going for, but still very cool.  I'm a fan of simple, effective designs  :)

@hyiu: well, heh, it _is_ just several layers put together  :)  again, my lack of graphic skills  :(  I do like the idea of the invaders fading, as well.  I might have to play with that.  I'm not sold on the A being an invader, but I've honestly not given it a try.  I've had several comments about the word crossing the invaders..  I'll have to give it more thought.  I rather like it, but if it's seen as "busy" or "hard to read" by people viewing it, it'll defeat the purpose of having a nice marquee  :(

@oldsage:  almost perfect!  (I hate "nit-picking" work offered by others, but have found that most people take constructive criticism well, so forgive this)  The only thing that I like better about the original is the "fade pattern"..  Notice how it fades toward the darker color along ALL edges, not just those on the outside.  yours has the high-intensity green at the very center fading to dark only on the outmost edges. make sense?  Again, I have no clue how easy/hard/doable this is when vectorizing it  :(

Having said that, I'd LOVE a higher res version.  The .ai file would be great!

Thanx so much for all of the help/comments/criticisms, all!  I really need to at least think about my CPO soon...  :)

THANX!

oldsage

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2005, 10:03:51 am »
I had a cool sig once... But it had to go because of *someone*... You know who you are!

oldsage

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2005, 03:21:45 pm »
Sorry i haven't done it yet, I've just started serious work on my cab, and it'll take me a while to do your art better... Sorry...

dphirschler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2021, 10:32:54 am
    • dphirschler homepage
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2005, 03:28:21 pm »
On that invader above, the one with the radial gradient...

If you select all the shapes and make it a compound path before applying the gradient, then the gradient will be consistant across the whole shape.

Darryl

oldsage

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2005, 04:38:13 pm »
On that invader above, the one with the radial gradient...

If you select all the shapes and make it a compound path before applying the gradient, then the gradient will be consistant across the whole shape.

Darryl
Ummm... What? I'm no artist, i just did this quick in flash... Are you talking about some photoshop thing???
I don't do much graphics, i only have a copy of flash 'cause i use actionscript...
Would you care to explain, or would you like me to send it to you so you can finish it or something... I think it would be best if someone that knows what is he doing do it, instead of myself... Lol...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 04:39:51 pm by oldsage »

dphirschler

• Offline Offline
    • dphirschler homepage
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2005, 03:38:49 pm »
I was talking in terms of Illustrator.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 04:08:50 pm by dphirschler »

countchocula8

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2011, 12:10:22 pm
  • HA-DOOUUU-KEN!!!
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2005, 06:35:23 pm »
i think a combination of these 3 is a good idea:
1) toadman's overall layout

2)sideshowrob's idea of replacing the square blocks w/ the invaders

3)retroborg's replacing of the "A" with the big invader

on top of this, i would like to make a couple suggestions:
1)turn the forshortening of the word invader the other way (smaller on top then on bottom to match the side invaders in toadman's picture).  this way it will look like its heading towards earth.
2)get rid of the side invaders on toadman's picture and and maybe centerlize earth a little.

jfunk

• Offline Offline
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2005, 10:32:44 pm »
@dphirschler:  That's definitely closer..  Still not quite it..  If you look at the original, it's like the brightest green is always in the internal part of the invader and the darker green is ALWAYS on the edges, even the inner ones...  Hard to explain, but it's an effect I like and wish I could duplicate!!  :)

@countchocula8:  I think making the a invader shaped AND making the blocks into invaders might be overkill?  A little too much?

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to focus on any of this, lately.  Been getting my cab ready for painting.  Will hopefully get it all painted and ready to go this weekend so I can do some serious graphics stuff for it in the next couple of weeks.

But please, keep the suggestions coming!  It can only get better!  :)

Still wondering if anybody has any good CPO ideas??  That's my biggest hangup.  :(

Thanx!

countchocula8

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2011, 12:10:22 pm
  • HA-DOOUUU-KEN!!!
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2005, 11:23:01 pm »
overkill....probably, but i got bored :)

oldsage

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2005, 12:08:06 am »
I was talking in terms of Illustrator.

dphirschler

• Offline Offline
    • dphirschler homepage
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2005, 11:54:45 am »

jfunk

• Offline Offline
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2005, 12:31:16 pm »
That's IT!!!  :)

Unfortunately, I'm not sure of the color, either.  I'm using the green t-molding from t-molding.com, and color matched my paint to it..  I'll see if I can figure out what color that is..

What format is that file?

THANX!!!

dphirschler

• Offline Offline
    • dphirschler homepage
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2005, 03:34:57 pm »
It's Illustrator (.ai).  PM me with your email address and I'll send the file your way.

On the color matching, try this.  Take a sample of the t-molding to a printer or the like (Kinko's?), maybe even the local college/university if they have an Art degree.  Match the color with a Pantone #.  Then you'll know you got it just right.

Darryl

jfunk

• Offline Offline
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2005, 09:52:49 am »
PM sent!  THANX!

I have the home depot paint can here..  It says:

Colorant             0Z           48            96
--------------------------------------------------
AX  Perm Yellow   2            10              1
B    Lamp Green   0              1              0
D    Thalo Green   0            13              0
KX   White            0            22              1

Any way that can help?  :)

It's not perfect, but it's close enough for me  :)  I'm not sure it's necessary to get the invader to match the bottom paint, but I'd love to see how it looks.

Thanx, again!

dphirschler

• Offline Offline
    • dphirschler homepage
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2005, 11:09:20 am »

jfunk

• Offline Offline
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2005, 11:13:13 am »
I'll give it a shot  :)  Will take a while, though  :)

THANX!!