Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Jets and Guns - 5 out of 5!  (Read 6993 times)

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
Jets and Guns - 5 out of 5!
« on: November 13, 2004, 09:46:41 pm »
Well guys, here is a short review of a new game just released by RakeinGrass. http://jng.rakeingrass.com/ This is your basic side scrolling shooter.....or so I thought! One word to describe it: Holy @#$%!!!(ok 2 words I lied). The particel system and the visuals are nothing short of impressive in my opinion. Attention to fine details were taken in every aspect of the enemies, your ship, backgrounds, explosions, etc etc.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 02:41:55 pm by NIVO »

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
*****BYOAC official game reviews*****
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 09:56:12 pm »
and another pic

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 09:56:58 pm »
and another

GGKoul

• Cheesecake Apprentice
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2019, 05:47:30 pm
  • I was once a big man!! -4700 posts later...
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 11:14:11 pm »
Hmmm.. a new forum?  

IE:  Gameplay / Review forum?  

A forum forum people to review non-traditional games and a space for people to talk about various gameplay items?

I think this forum would be used a lot more then some other forums that are out there...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 02:05:19 am »
agreed.... also on a side note:  between nivo and myself we have probably downloaded and played over 100 arcade style games this summer.  

When I have fewer projects to contend with I would be more than willing to co-reivew with nivo to give more of a perspective.  That is, assuming he'd be willing to contiune to reivew these games.  :)

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2004, 05:38:23 am »
I'd love to keep reviewing if possible as time permits. I am in the midst of contacting other sites and game developers as well to get more games worthy of a cabinet install to review.

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2004, 09:52:10 am »
It may also be a good idea for us lot to get in touch with developers of games, if they have any issues with arcade cab setups.  Most importantly this would involve control setups I would think.

Of course they might not intend to release further versions, and they might just not care, but it would be worth a shot...some of the games are really great, but the menu system or in game controls can be a problem.

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2004, 01:08:37 pm »
I agree totally.  Awsome game! Awsome game!!  I sent them (the develpors) an email.  I even got a reply.  Got a notice recently about the new email as well.  use this link to download  http://jng.rakeingrass.com/download.php   the other link results in a forbidden message.   go get it ya'll!

Nothing new to add, but has any tried that game Jets & Guns?

AWSOME side scrolling shooter.  I hope the development hasn't stopped.  I have almost beat level one.  79% completed.  Very cool.  If anyone knows of another game like this, let me know.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2004, 01:40:00 pm »
link fixed above as well  :)

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 24, 2024, 01:32:21 am
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2004, 03:12:20 pm »
Hmm, okay, how to get over the frustration of going against armored planes with a pea shooter?  I'm willing to give it a chance, but it seems you almost have to memorize the pattern that they come out, so that you can properly dodge the missiles/planes that come out.  So after 20 runs, and 20 defeats by the second ground tank thingy, I'm thinking I'm going back to playing Halo for the afternoon :)

Awesome soundtrack and visuals though...
Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2004, 09:01:25 pm »
Hmm, okay, how to get over the frustration of going against armored planes with a pea shooter?  I'm willing to give it a chance, but it seems you almost have to memorize the pattern that they come out, so that you can properly dodge the missiles/planes that come out.  

Awesome soundtrack and visuals though...
Upgrade the weapons.  I set mine with...forgive me I don't have the game on this PC(wifes  :-\ )...The mid priced gun and two tracking machine guns, all three of the guns being upgraded.   I also beefed up the armor.  

There is a neat upgrade that will show you how far you are on the level.  There is another one for body count, which isn't really useful until you beat the level.  

I usually drop right down in front of those tanks and shot em until they blow up.

Has anyone beat the first level yet?

SaiNRuB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2022, 10:33:26 pm
  • Pluck your magic twanger, Froggy!
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 01:21:32 am »
Oh cool its out, ive been out of the loop for a couple days with HL2 anticipation.

Awesome game, i like frantic and this delivers plenty.

RetroJames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 05:26:38 pm
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 03:22:19 pm »
Hey guys, you might consider writing reviews for Kev Steele over at RetroBlast.  I have done a few in the past couple of months.  James

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 09:51:14 pm »
word from the author of the game is that there is a test patch available for the demo version for gamepad support(unuspported at this time so be sure to back up the files your replacing).

get the patch:   http://download.rakeingrass.com/test_patch_demo.zip

as they are in testing phase im sure they will be looking at bugs and such and have further updates. Game On.

biscoradio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2006, 08:48:43 pm
  • solder wire to your brain
    • biscoRADIO
Re: Jets and Guns - 5 out of 5!
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2004, 02:59:05 pm »
While this game is an alright shooter, I do not think it should get a 5/5. The sound and graphics are good, for sure, but the gameplay is not too enthralling.

I am not a fan of having to buy your weapons and equip your ship at the beginning of a level and then have no upgrades throughout the level. I also do not like having to restart the entire level each time I die. (And having to bring out my keyboard each time I die to hit the space bar - which is an issue that others with cabinets may also have).

Many times the way to get past an area does not involve skill, it involves remembering where the attacks came from the last time you went through the section and avoiding them. Overall this game is okay. Based on the trial version, I do not think it is worth buying.

(I do love these reviews though, and love playing good PC games on my cabinet.)

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re: Jets and Guns - 5 out of 5!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2005, 03:56:25 pm »
first off, FYI, the demo comes with one of the current pc gaming mags.  I think PC Gamer, I forgot which other one I bought this month.

While this game is an alright shooter, I do not think it should get a 5/5. The sound and graphics are good, for sure, but the gameplay is not too enthralling.

I am not a fan of having to buy your weapons and equip your ship at the beginning of a level and then have no upgrades throughout the level. I also do not like having to restart the entire level each time I die. (And having to bring out my keyboard each time I die to hit the space bar - which is an issue that others with cabinets may also have).
Remap your keys.  It is what I did for golden tee golf.  Need to hit enter a bit int hat.  Just remapped player 1 button 3 to enter :)

Many times the way to get past an area does not involve skill, it involves remembering where the attacks came from the last time you went through the section and avoiding them. Overall this game is okay. Based on the trial version, I do not think it is worth buying.
Most shooters are this way.  The enemies come in patterns.  It is difficult to find a good shooter that has randomness to it.
Play Do Don Pachi, you will see everything is patterns.  But still one of the best vertical shooters ever.

But I do agree, starting out form beginning does suck.  Are there mid point checks?  I mean, if oyu die right before a boss will you start completely over?

I know Zero Wing has some lengthy check points in some levels.