Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Why JAMMA?  (Read 3373 times)

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
Re: Why JAMMA?
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2005, 01:59:22 pm »
You could put a big resistor from each of the pins to ground.
It would get really hot.

Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2005, 02:04:58 pm »
I wonder if there is a way to use a relay or something to auto shut the power supply off.

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2005, 02:09:26 pm »
I wonder if there is a way to use a relay or something to auto shut the power supply off.

Do you mean when there is a PC video signal on the J-PAC, the cabinet power supply is switched off with a relay?  I sure this can be done.   However it seems like a lot of work and I'm not totally sure what exact problem is being solved.

Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2005, 04:33:38 pm »
The problem is that an arcade Power supply will "burn up" if there is no load on it for an extended period of time. That was my primary concern. But if the multi-jamma is still powering whatever other PCB is plugged in there, well then that takes care of that.

The only remaining issue is cost.  ;D
NO MORE!!

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2005, 08:10:17 pm »
Hmmm. I have a solution.

Buy a non-working board on ebay, take your pick, one that boots up to garbage will be best.

Wire it up to the power supply as well to provide the load you need. Problem solved.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

microwrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2008, 09:22:02 am
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2005, 12:06:36 am »
What's an extended period of time?  My 4 player cab has been running MAME for more than a year now and still runs fine WITH the power supply connected.  The power supply does have a few power lights that it runs as well as (when I finally get the artwork sorted) lighting the marquee and coin door light.  Had a JAMMA PCB in there to test a few weeks back and it's all fine.  Maybe the small load of the lighting is enough to prevent the supply from getting damaged.

Where are the other J-PAC users powering their marquee lights and coin door lights from if you are taking the power supply out?  Seems silly to rewire them to the PC power supply when they're already wired to the power supply in the cabinet.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2005, 12:27:01 am »
Marquees normally have a fixure that uses AC power from the transformer, at least all of my games seem to be that way.

The load of the coin door lights might actually be enough for your power supply, it isn't much, but it gives to power someplace to go.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

microwrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2008, 09:22:02 am
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2005, 07:48:56 pm »
Actually, now you've mentioned it (and I went and re-checked) the marquee is being powered by mains power.  I did have another machine that ran a 12V fluro off the power supply though (still have the light fittings and connectors somewhere).

thanks