Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: joshcade  (Read 2630 times)

JoeJoe97

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2007, 06:52:12 am
joshcade
« on: June 20, 2006, 08:29:00 am »
This project is roughly one year in the making.  I didn't work on it the whole time, but I nibbled here and there.

We started with a nice base.  You can see the big pile of wood and laminate we had to work with.  The control deck is getting roughly wired in the corner.

The tv goes as so.

Before too long we had something playable.  I had a few pics in between, but they were so blurry you couldn't tell what was going on.  Here the wiring was bad (as in looked bad), but it was done quickly.  The open bottom really allows all sins to be seen.

My brother and I worked a week and a few days and we had something playable and had fun with it.  It was far from complete, but it was a blast. 

More to come.  Finishing work!

JoeJoe97

• Offline Offline
Re: joshcade
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 09:17:50 am »
The wiring before cleaning it up.

The wiring after cleaning it up (opposite sides but you can tell what I mean).  ACK! Wrong picture, will insert later.

New stools and Tmolding.  I tried to match the red and yellow of my buttons.

Sideart1.  I picked it up from mamemarquees.com.  I got a sideart and cut the images out of it.  I rather like the look.

Sideart2

The full cabinet, with the glass.  You can also see my cat in the corner.

Nighttime picture to show the lit trackball and marquee.  Also using mamewah as a frontend.  I haven't customized it much.  It seems nice to me.

We built this in my living room.  What everyone says about not cutting MDF indoors is certainly true.   The laminate glue I thought was much worse then the dust from the MDF, however.  I did the laminating in December in Milwaukee.  Luckily the weather was warm (35ish F) the week we did it, and I could open the place up and get some ventilation. 

This cab is certainly big, keep in mind if you see me or my brother in a picture, we are both about 6'3".  The control deck is removable, which will allow me to move it out of the building someday.  The cab will have to be tipped to get out the door.  I will have to remove about everything from it before that can happen.

I didn't post many questions, but I wouldn't have been able to do any of this without these forums.  I extensively used the search function.  Thank you for all of your help.  Between my brother doing the woodworking and all the tips here it made the project possible. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 09:26:56 am by JoeJoe97 »

holdennut

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 16, 2015, 04:53:06 am
  • Aussie lowboy cab finished!
    • Australian Cocktail Pac-Man Project
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 10:03:25 am »
Hey mate, that has come up really awesome, can't believe you built it in your living room! What a mess...

Looks like some awesome four player action there!   :D :D :D :D

Just one question, how's the glare with that glass, it looks pretty bad from the photo's?

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 12:35:27 pm »
Gotta love building in the living room!  It looks cool.  In the pictures above, is the flight deck loose?  It looks off center to the right by 4 inches.  I thank you very much.  I can now show my wife I'm not the only one who works in the house on this stuff. :cheers:

JoeJoe97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 06:26:49 pm »
The glare is not bad.  I think it just looked bad because the unit was off in the early pictures.  As someone said it is designed to not see anything when it is off and then it shows nicely when operating.

I didn't even notice it until you said something, but yes it is off by almost exactly 4 inches.  Horizontally it is loose, it sits in a groove made for the 2X4" which is the back support.  It also rests on the cab some (gravity wise), but the 2X4" is the crux holding it in.  The only issue is I have to remount my keyboard encoder to slide it over much more.  I have a KE72.  It works great.  I haven't used anything else, but I can't picture anything else being much easier/better.  I am extremely satisfied with it.

Crafty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2009, 11:32:25 pm
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 05:56:01 am »
Excellent Effort

:applaud:
A Bad Day Playing Is Better Than a Good Day Working

Cameronj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2012, 12:59:01 pm
  • I'm a Super llama!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 11:40:33 pm »
I like it. Someday I want a 4 player cp too!