Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Xanterion! (Psychopanda's Project)  (Read 5475 times)

psychopanda

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2006, 01:13:17 pm
    • PsychoPanda's Secret Grotto
Xanterion! (Psychopanda's Project)
« on: April 12, 2006, 01:04:57 am »
Well, I've been interested in building an arcade cab for about 6 years now. Finally I had the resources, time, money, and garage (most important!) to get started. I began posting on this forum only as of late, but I've been following this and other websites for quite some time.

I "think" I know what I'm doing at this point. (yet I constantly prove myself wrong along the way!) I'm using the dimensions from Lusid's design and modifying them a little for personal aesthetics and making the cabinet so that I can break it down and reassemble it (mainly so that it can be transported from garage to upstairs den).

I can't thank people enough for the wealth of information here. It's helped alot, especially since I am not a woodworker by nature!

Here's a few pics from my progress. More can be found on my odd little website. If anyone has questions or comments, I'd love to hear them. :)

Website (arcade section):
http://www.psychopanda.net/goodies/goodies_arcade.php

« Last Edit: June 22, 2006, 02:55:35 pm by psychopanda »

BobbyG66

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2016, 11:52:09 am
  • Current project: Dodgeball
Re: Golly Gee!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 09:57:37 am »
Any ideas for artwork?
You seem to be pretty creative with your toons.
Half of the people you meet are below average.

psychopanda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 10:35:45 am »
Thanks BobbyG66.

I haven't started on the artwork yet, but I have some ideas. I would like to use images from comic artist, Jack Kirby. I've always been impressed with the way he could draw machinery and cosmic objects. I will likely redraw or trace some of Kirby's images in Illustrator, rather than just snip comics and paste them. This will allow me to resize things as needed and control the colors a bit better.

psychopanda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 11:39:18 am »
Ok, I got my first panel added to the lower front of the cab last night. It took me a long time, mainly because I added 1x2 strips combined with 1x4 strips to provide framing to bolt the panel to. Pre-drilling holes, drilling holes, test fitting, counter-sinking, measuring, bleh, etc.

It got me to thinking why not use little l-brackets to mount the panels to the sides? There must be some reason that most people don't do that? Cost? Structural support? Would the screws in the mdf just pop out if one were to use metal brackets instead of wood framing?

I likely won't get to work on the cab for a couple days, so I will contemplate this for a little bit. I think the l-brackets would save me some time though, since I wouldn't have to drill two pieces of wood.

psychopanda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 11:07:31 am »
Added Page 5 and 6 to the ongoing saga of the 'ugly behemoth':

http://www.psychopanda.net/goodies/goodies_arcade5.php
http://www.psychopanda.net/goodies/goodies_arcade6.php

I recently learned that not all cicrular saws are created equal, as mine tends to wander and miscut boards more than the one I borrowed from my Dad. Plus his saw had a handy dandy dust bag. And mine ... Ack! Cough!

Anyways, it's still a mess but it's coming along.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 03:56:57 pm by psychopanda »

miles2912

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 12:14:13 pm »
You broke the first rule about building an arcade machine.  Don't play any games untill it is done!!  :)  j/k  Looking good.  I know exactly what you mean about getting arcade parts in the mail..  just makes your day when the big brown truck shows up.

Don
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

psychopanda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2006, 12:24:50 pm »
Added page 7 to the ongoing saga:

http://www.psychopanda.net/goodies/goodies_arcade7.php

Amazing how a little paint can make everything look better!

And someday I will learn how to post images directly into my post like all the other cool people around here...  ???

EDIT: Just figured out how to attach images, yay! :)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 04:09:59 pm by psychopanda »

Crafty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2009, 11:32:25 pm
Re: Psychopanda's Project (new - now with pictures!)
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 08:33:31 pm »
Looking Good

Keep up the posts and photo's

Any idea's for a Marquee??
A Bad Day Playing Is Better Than a Good Day Working

psychopanda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 10:50:16 am »
Yep, I got some ideas for the marquee. I'm looking to do a cartoonish sci-fi theme for the cab. Inbetween watching the paint dry, I've been drawing some stuff in Illustrator. If you've seen my site, you can kind of get an idea of my art style from the Goodies section. Once I get things more finallized, I'll post them here.

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 05:00:22 pm
  • Even Jesus loves Donkey Kong!
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 11:29:31 am »
Lotsa good pictures in the blog. Looking great.
M    Y    X

BLACKOUT  - Finally rewritten - http://blog.myxdigital.com/
Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

psychopanda

• Offline Offline
Re: Xanterion! (Psychopanda's Project)
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 02:48:53 pm »
More fun done. Along with my custom artwork printed marquee. (thanks mamemarquees.com!) I wanted to show it when I had it backlit, but I couldn't resist. Check out the page for more!

Page: http://www.psychopanda.net/goodies/goodies_arcade8.php

Sample pics:

miles2912

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 01:02:04 pm »
I have my sub in the cab it works out great.  Subs are non directional so it doesn't matter where you put them.   They jsut need air around them.  You might want to experiment with it in the cab just to see if there is a difference.  If you are going to just play arcagde games don't worry about it but for a juke cab play around with  the location.  My cab gets as much Karaoke use as it does Juke Box. 

D-
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

psychopanda

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 02:25:18 pm »
Thanks miles2912. I forgot to mention that in this thread. (Yeah, I mounted my subwoofer under my cabinet and that weird looking robot picture is my marquee)

I know that subwoofers are non-directional, but I was thinking that all the thick mdf would muffle the sound. I really should've tested it first though. At this point, it's staying at the bottom unless something terrible happens because there is no way I'll be lugging that monitor out of the cabinet yet again. The monitor is pretty heavy and doesn't fit through the back door.

The cabinet will be used as a jukebox as well, like you mentioned. It'll play arcade games, some pc games, music, cartoons, and possibly store my Xbox at some point. I'd also like to add my N64 in there, but I don't know of anyway to hook up an N64 to a computer monitor or whether it's even feasible.